Anime Central Forums: SoyCon 4 | The Largest Cosplay Gathering of The Midwest - Anime Central Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

SoyCon 4 | The Largest Cosplay Gathering of The Midwest An Annual Social Cosplay Gathering Event

#1 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 4725

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

SoyCon 4: The Largest Cosplay Gathering of The Midwest
July 9-10, 2011
Chicago and Rolling Meadows, IL

***Updated On: Monday June 6, 2011***

http://www.soycon.com

Opening Words:
Hello everyone! Myself and supporters of SoyCon would proudly like to announce that SoyCon 4 plans and preparations are under way! We hope to see everyone again for those who came in the previous years and also hope to see many new faces who are interested coming for the first time. There are lots of things to do in order to put together another great year. Last year was probably the best SoyCon thus far, and for that we want to keep the momentum up and kick it up a notch for this year. We are reviewing what things went right and what things did not work. We are always welcome for any constructive feedback for those who came in the previous years. You are welcome to post here or message me if there's some things that may need some work. Suggestions are welcome as well. Other than that, lets work on making another successful year!

Summary: SoyCon is a large social cosplay gathering dedicated to the cosplayers, anime fans, video gamers, manga readers, and more. Enjoy a full weekend where you can hang out with many fans alike, take photos in cosplay around the beautiful scenary of Chicago, and relax at a picnic grove full of food and fun. We have events that you are welcome to participate in or you are welcome to create your own and run it during the weekend. Bring out your cosplays, bring out your cameras, and lets enjoy another year of fun times.

Dates & Location
Friday July 8, 2011 - Northerly Island Beach in Chicago, IL
Saturday July 9, 2011 - Buckingham Fountain in Chicago, IL
Sunday July 10, 2011 - Ned's Brown Meadow - Grove #29 in Rolling Meadows, IL

Price: How does FREE sound to you?

Information:
About
Cosplay Guidelines
Event Rules
Schedules
Places To Go
FAQ
Volunteer

Registration - Register Here
Register For...
> General Registration - Standard Registration
> Panel/Events Submission - You Can Run Your Own Panel/Event At SoyCon
> Event Registration - Want To Join One or More Of Our Contests?

Events
Group Photoshoot
Cosplay RP Weddings
Interpretive Dance Central
The Battlefield
SoyCon Idol
Improv Masquerade
Cosplay Showcase
Talent Show

Gallery - View The Past 3 Years of SoyCon

Contact/Connect
SoyCon Forums
SoyCon Twitter
SoyCon Foursquare (Photoshoot Day)
SoyCon Foursquare (Picnic Day)
SoyCon Facebook Event
SoyCon Facebook "Like" Page
ACen Forums > Meetup Section - Other Cons Section
Cosplay.com

More Updates and Announcements To Come.

This post has been edited by Soy Sauce: 06 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

SoyCon 7: The School Edition | June 28-29, 2014 in Rolling Meadows, IL
Join us on Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter as well!

#2 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

can there be nudity?
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#3 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

View PostTekoMuto, on 28 January 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

can there be nudity?

I'll accept a Naked Molerat.

#4 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

View PostSoy Sauce, on 28 January 2011 - 09:38 PM, said:

I'll accept a Naked Molerat.

what about purple headed warblers?
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#5 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Here's a few updates on what's been happening:

Registration For Events
- Event registration for Interpretive Dance Central, SoyCon Idol, Improv Masquerade, and Variety Show are now online. Please print and fill out the information listed on those forms.
- Group Photoshoot is not needed for registration since it's an open event. The Battlefield registration will be held on site.
- Roleplay Weddings and Cosplay Showcase are still under construction. We'll keep you updated.
- All forms are available on the "Register" section and the details of each event is located under the "Events" section.

Panel/Event Submissions
- This year we are opening registration for those who are interested running their own panel or event during SoyCon.
- Please read over the details in the "Register" section on the site.

General Registration
- Forms are now available to download on under the "Register" page.
- Please refrain from sending any e-mails. There are no pre-registration for this gathering.

Please contact me if you have any problems downloading your forms or if you have any questions.

#6 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

I would like to get some feedback on how to make SoyCon a better gathering. I know a couple of you or probably more had some issues for this year. I'm all forth for any constructive comments.

#7 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

ACen 2011 is finally over and now it's time to focus on the 4th annual SoyCon cosplay gathering event.

I'm still working on details on some of the events that will be hosted there as well as coming up with ideas to run the gathering more smoothly than the previous years. I'll be posting here a bit more often on updates so keep an eye here or on the website.

SoyCon 4 Website

I am open for anyone who wants to run their own event/panel during the weekend. If you are interested, please submit a panel/event registration form which is located right here. (Under Panel/Event Registration)

If there's anyone out there who wants to help out with the event, please stay tuned as I will release information on how you can help out this wonderful event.

We got until the beginning of July to nail all of this so hopefully everyone will be prepared by then!

Stay tuned!

#8 User is offline   Chunlichan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 11421

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

How am I just hearing about this event now?! Can't wait, I'll be there for sure, with my photog in tow, I hope, lol
ACen 2014 Cosplay/lolita list
TBD!

#9 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59638

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

This caught me at the FREE part.

Now getting there and the fact I think you have to pay for parking.....That's another story. Dx
**The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them**ACen 2013 (Hopefully...Graduation is in the way..) England: %100 completed, Halloween2010!England %0, 2P!England %1, Chibirisu %0, Jeanne de Arc %0, Yukio %0, Ciel Phantomhive %0
Main dA boi, dA Advice Account, Youchube Account
Babe, you mean more to me than you can ever know.

#10 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

Wait.

I thought this was outside of Chicago when Kasin told me.

I might be able to do it then.

Especially since it's FREE
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#11 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

dude haven't you gone bankrupt yet?

#12 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:24 AM

I'm still working on getting Marvin Gardens and St. Charles Place.

#13 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

Hey sounds great but folks thanks for draining people away from ikasucon in fort wayne, we waited long time to get an anime con and like it here, but you are stealing people away, just thought I would let you know, and we are having a festival at the time too the biggest one in the northeast indiana area that goes for 10 days.

Just though I would let you know, and Oh by the way we dont have the crazys bombing booze down to the ground, and lots of places that are historical in downtown fort wayne indiana, the Cathedral, the botanical gardens, the new ballpark where they also have nice concerts in the summer, and the embassy theater the finest and one of only two old movie and vaudavill theaters left in the city.

#14 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9285

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:06 AM

View PostTekoMuto, on 25 May 2011 - 08:48 PM, said:

dude haven't you gone bankrupt yet?

but its free teko :P
If you wanna chat to me ;)
aim: keitaro849
msn: alan849@hotmail.com
yahoo: dejiko849
facebook: http://facebook.com/Dashy.of.harmony

#15 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

actaully, teko has a point if it's free. maybe people donate.

yeppers! yes fujoshi, it's in chicago and free, and...stuff! it's pretty fun, good place to hang out with your friends around other otakus, and make more friends.

Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#16 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

View Postmanga1, on 26 May 2011 - 12:35 AM, said:

Hey sounds great but folks thanks for draining people away from ikasucon in fort wayne, we waited long time to get an anime con and like it here, but you are stealing people away, just thought I would let you know, and we are having a festival at the time too the biggest one in the northeast indiana area that goes for 10 days.

Just though I would let you know, and Oh by the way we dont have the crazys bombing booze down to the ground, and lots of places that are historical in downtown fort wayne indiana, the Cathedral, the botanical gardens, the new ballpark where they also have nice concerts in the summer, and the embassy theater the finest and one of only two old movie and vaudavill theaters left in the city.

I didn't mean to place it during the same time as Ikasucon. Normally I set this event every 2nd weekend of July (2009 was an exception). It's a tradition over here.

I apologize if might attract some attendance away from there, but I can't really change it for this year. I do have a few friends who are going to Ikasu this year and missing out SoyCon.

Maybe next year something can be worked out. Other than that, changing the dates are beyond my control as of this point.

This post has been edited by Soy Sauce: 26 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

#17 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

So this is completely free?
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#18 User is offline   Shotgun 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59945

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

This sounds totally awesome, but I do have a question. I am the only one out of my group of friends (currently) that has a cosplay.. but I don't want to go all by myself. So my question is, is it a -must- to cosplay and join the picnic (because I would probably only be there on the Sunday) or would it be alright for me to bring someone who doesn't necessarily have a cosplay as long as they aren't in any of the other major events (like the improv masquerade etc)?

Thank you !

#19 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

View PostKasin, on 26 May 2011 - 12:23 PM, said:

maybe people donate.

need moar

#20 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

I'll add this to my calendar and decide to go or not as it gets closer to July. :thumbup:

#21 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

View Postnouseforaname, on 26 May 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

So this is completely free?

Free to join in on the fun. Although, we are not responsible for any expense on food, drinks, transportation, etc.

And as for the picnic day, we recommend everyone to contribute such as bringing grills, tents, food, chairs, and so on.

View PostShotgun, on 26 May 2011 - 06:18 PM, said:

This sounds totally awesome, but I do have a question. I am the only one out of my group of friends (currently) that has a cosplay.. but I don't want to go all by myself. So my question is, is it a -must- to cosplay and join the picnic (because I would probably only be there on the Sunday) or would it be alright for me to bring someone who doesn't necessarily have a cosplay as long as they aren't in any of the other major events (like the improv masquerade etc)?

Thank you !

SoyCon is not a manditory cosplay event. If you don't feel like cosplaying or have a costume to wear, you are still welcome to sit back and enjoy the event. You and your friends are welcome to participate events such as talent show, idol, and improv masquerade. The mainly the only 2 that requires cosplay are RP weddings and cosplay showcase.

#22 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:44 AM

IDK if i will come for saturday. all my cosplays would be so hot...but i do like going to that comic store...
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#23 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

View PostSoy Sauce, on 26 May 2011 - 09:10 PM, said:

Free to join in on the fun. Although, we are not responsible for any expense on food, drinks, transportation, etc.

And as for the picnic day, we recommend everyone to contribute such as bringing grills, tents, food, chairs, and so on.

That's what I kind of meant as in it's free to go to. I know food and such won't be and that's completely understandable. It's downtown so it shouldn't be a problem... though if I went in cosplay I don't think it'd be a good idea to wear bloody clothes in the subway.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#24 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

View Postnouseforaname, on 27 May 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

That's what I kind of meant as in it's free to go to. I know food and such won't be and that's completely understandable. It's downtown so it shouldn't be a problem... though if I went in cosplay I don't think it'd be a good idea to wear bloody clothes in the subway.

did it in New york city

lulz ensured

This post has been edited by TekoMuto: 27 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

#25 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

I think alot of people in NY do that. sometimes it's not cosplay...

#26 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 57580

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

View PostKasin, on 28 May 2011 - 01:25 PM, said:

I think alot of people in NY do that. sometimes it's not cosplay...

Hahaha!! That made me lol

And Im looking foward to this, I'll try to see if i can gather somepople to go with me since its completly free there should be no escuses.
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

ACEN 2013 - Gene Starwin(Outlaw Star)
Go check my FB Album and give me suggestions!!!
[/size]Facebook DeviantArt

#27 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

For those who are interested volunteering for SoyCon, please contact me via e-mail at either DgtlDrmStation@comcast.net or soycon@soycon.com. (Or send me a PM.) Positions such as Registration, Event Judging, Photoshoot & Picnic Operations, and Medical Team are available. I will send you information on each of these departments. Let me know if you have any questions.

SoyCon Volunteer Info.
- Possible changes and updates as time goes on.

This post has been edited by Soy Sauce: 30 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

#28 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

A couple of updates here.

- Location page updated. Added overview map areas for each day.
- Cosplay Showcase page now available. Interested in participating? See the events section for more details!
- Schedule has been changed. Check event pages and information to view time changes.
- Cosplay RP weddings are now online. Spaces are limited. Pre-registration now available.
- Panel/Event Submissions have now been extended to July 1st! Interested running something at SoyCon? Check the "Register" section for details.

See first post on thread for more details.

This post has been edited by Soy Sauce: 06 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

#29 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

Here's a few things to keep in mind before coming to SoyCon.

For Photoshoot:
- Try to wear costumes that are summer friendly. It's going to be pretty hot out there, normally around the high 80s.
- We would recommend bringing bottles of cold water. We recommend staying quenched. We had issues of people not staying hydrated enough due to the heat.
- Umbrellas are nice to bring to shade yourself from the hot sun. There are trees around the area, but other spots there won't be any shade.
- Either bring money to go to any nearby restaurants or bring your own lunch. We don't want anyone to be hungry throughout the event.
- Even if SoyCon has reduced the walking distance between areas, you still be walking around. Wear comfortable footwear and clothing.
- Everyone is responsible for their own possessions throughout the event. We may pickup any lost items left behind, but we can't take all of them.

For Picnic
- We recommend everyone to contribute something towards the picnic day. Provide eating utensils, food, tents, coolers, chairs, grills, etc.
- If you brought your own bowls, serving utensils, or anything else, please make sure you take them with you when the picnic is over. We will toss out anything you left behind.
- For those bringing a grill, bring your cooking utensils and items.
- If you have food that needs to be kept cool, we would recommend you or someone else to bring a cooler. (They do have dollar foam coolers that you can buy.)
- If you can make something, like pasta, muffins, salad, kabobs, etc., please bring them! We don't want to have a gazillion chips, cookies, and candy.
- Cups, eating utensils, water, burger patties, hotdog links, buns, and/or ice are good items to bring to the picnic.

#30 User is offline   Seph 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11372

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

Im going to try to make this one....

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic