• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Amor for Armor Should, What, and How...

#1 User is offline   Rehnar 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59358

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:10 AM

In a recent spasm of artistic desire I felt the need to make cosplay armor for myself. Problem is I don't know what to do or how to do it. After some research I like the idea of cardboard or paper mache covered with bondo as everything else requires too much technical work or too rare of materials. My other problem is I don't know what to do. I like animes like Scryed, Full Metal Alchemist, Digimon, One Piece, Dragonball and Gundam. I also play games like Bioshock, Borderlands, and Pokemon. Here's a pic of me in my Splicer cosplay for reference. I'm not fat by any means but I'm definitely not skinny. Think Asuma from Naruto.

http://truesanji.dev...llery/#/d32gzkw

So any suggestions? I would really appreciate the help on what to do and any ideas on how to do it. Something that fits what I like, my body type, and my skill level. Thanks in advance!
If trolls don't exist, how do you explain the dead unicorns?

Acen 2012...

Possibly Pokemaniac/Larvatar = 100%
Maes Hughes = 100%
Dragon Age Varric and Bianca = 95%

#2 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

If you want to go the cardboard/bondo route, I suggest you look to the one known as featherweight:

http://www.cosplay.com/member/36633/
http://www.featherwe...y.com/index.php
http://www.youtube.c...r/featherweight

He has many a tutorial posted, and specializes in the use of these materials.
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#3 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:38 AM

My ex bf uses something called wonderply or wondersoft. I have to ask him and post back.

He's not on and kaasan has the phone so I can't call him. He uses it for his Zero armor. It's the closest thing to realistic looking armor, flexy, and cheap.

He also uses weird stuff like football armor, etc. so it really depends on the cosplay. You can use household items among other things instead of cardboard :P
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#4 User is offline   OpenlyDiseased 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58560

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

I second checking out Featherweight.
He's soo good.

#5 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:25 AM

Ok now I know what it is: bf uses Wonderflex. It's a type of material that's really flexable and can be used to model into armor as well as other materials.

Also he mention something about using a special glue if you are welding plastic together for armor x.x;

Hope this helps.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#6 User is offline   XxMishapenHeartxX 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 44120

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:18 AM

foam and hotglue...seriously thats what like 60% of my armor for big sister costume is...and my friend is doing commander Shepard from mass effect and his entire suit is just thick foam.

if you bend it right it looks great...and if you paint it right it can look amazing
( not to mention its really cheap! and that always help in the cosplay world )

This post has been edited by XxMishapenHeartxX: 02 April 2011 - 12:20 AM

SOMETHING CLEVER
ACen '13
DmC: female Dante
Sailor Venus
Bioshock Infinite: Elizabeth

#7 User is offline   Darko 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 18698

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:34 AM

I dunno how far you are willing and how much you wanna spend butif your completely up with it Id reccomend a fiberglass mat/resin+bondo for the sturdiest of armors
Acen2014 - Creator Viktor - League of Legends
ACen 2013- Artorias the abysswalker -Darksouls
Apocalypse year ACen 2012-DEADMAU5 RAINBOSS- CustomLED Helmet

Questions about props?Email me . Details on my profile

#8 User is offline   MizukiMidnight 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 56276

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:47 AM

Craft foam works really well for armor that isnt too tricky to make, like Ed's automail arm. It is easliy flexible and easy to paint/design on. Ive used it for my Vincent Valentine armor and it is still holding up like a champ!
Coming back as Vincent Valentine! WOOT!
ACen 2014 Cosplays:
Vincent Valentine-100%
Ninja War Hinata-100%
Steampunk/Victorian/Original-100%
Zoe Hanji-100%
Zakuro Tokyo Mew Mew-100%
Mariko Miniskirt Space Pirates-100%

#9 User is offline   Ravenway 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60664

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

The convention I was at this weekend had a lot of people talking about craft foam. It's cheap, easy to work with even for a novice and gets some really good results. It's also flexible. You can also do something like Pepakura for a helment. This Website has a lot of premade projects ready to print and start. But if you want to go with the route you already selected that's fine too. I just think craft foam sounds easier.

As for ideas:
FMA is a given, don't have to tell you that. I saw some cool Dragon Age costumes this weekend that involved lots of armor. Don't play the game so I don't remember the character names. If you like Digimon: Wargreymon, Angelmon, Magnagarurumon etc. Almost anything with Mega in the name.
"Do we become the mask we wear?" M. Zapp

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users