Anime Central Forums: Anime Central 2011 Music Video Contest - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Anime Central 2011 Music Video Contest Posting of the rules for the Anime Central Anime Music Video Contest

#1 User is offline   SailorDeath 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 107

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

ACen 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Rules

Basic Entry Requirements:

[•] Entries sent to previous Anime Central competitions are not eligible.

[•] Mail entries will be accepted starting February 1, 2011.

[•] All entries must be in the hands of the contest coordinators by April 15, 2011.

[•] Contest Categories available: Action, Comedy, Dance/Upbeat, Drama, Romance and Freestyle.

[•] The Hentai AMV Contest is not part of the normal AMV Contest and will be shown after hours. ID Will be required to attend.

[•] The Epic AMV Contest is not part of the normal AMV Contest.

[•] An Epic AMV should contain the same qualities of an epic story, noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style. This description isn't set in stone. Anything with an epic tone is acceptable. The video should no shorter than 6min 30sec.

[•] Entries may not contain bumpers, title screens, or credits. ACen staff will add uniform credits to all entries. Under some circumstances creator generated credits will be allowed if they are built into the video, a required part of it, and cannot be removed. This creative use of entrant embedded credits will be judged at our discretion.

[•] 50% of the video must contain anime footage.

[•] Entries may be disqualified for the following reasons:

[o] Objectionable content of video or lyrics.

[o] Bad audio or video quality.

[o] Failure to adhere to the contest rules.

Objectionable content includes excessive profanity, excessive violence, or sexually explicit footage or lyrics. If you are not sure if the above rule means your entry will be disqualified e-mail amv@acen.org and we can view the content in question and make a decision.

[•] Hentai entries may only contain anime and video game footage. NO live action source is allowed.

[•] All anime/game characters must appear to be of legal age of consent in the source footage. Any violations and your entry will be disqualified.

[•] Persons submitting to the Hentai AMV contest must be at least 18 years of age, NO exceptions.

[•] The Hentai AMV Contest will be held separate from the rest of the contest.

[•] Hentai entries are not eligible for the Best of Show award.

[•] Anime Central staff may participate in the Hentai AMV Contest since voting is done by the audience reaction.

[•] By submitting your video to this contest you authorize Anime Central staff to screen and distribute it under the Anime Central Music Video Contest title. Any physical media that entries are submitted on becomes the property of Anime Central and will not be returned.

[•] There is a limit of one entry per category per creator.

[•] Entrants must supply a working e-mail address on the contest website. If you do not supply an e-mail address you will be disqualified.

[•] Anime Central staff reserves the right to disqualify entries for any reason they see necessary to protect the overall quality and integrity of the program.

[•] Information about this year’s AMV contest, AMV programming, and other related topics can be found and discussed on our forum. If your questions do not specifically involve your own videos content please direct all questions to the forum first. This same question may be shared by multiple people and may have already been answered.\

[•] You are required to make an account at http://contests.ngsilver.com/login.htm to enter your video information. Further information can be found in the entry submission instructions at the bottom of this document.

File Format Requirements:
    [•] Entries will only be accepted as MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 computer files.

[•] Mail entries will be accepted on the following media: CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, and PC formatted USB flash drives. Media must be labeled in some manner to identify the owner and its contents. Do not send discs burned on re-writeable (-RW +RW) media. Use IS9660 or UDF file system for optical media. Use NTFS or FAT for USB flash drives. We do not recommend mailing USB flash drives. This is a new courtesy service we are offering this year as a last resort for those who cannot send optical media.

[•] Do not send authored DVD Video discs or your entry will be disqualified.

[•] The contest website will instruct you how to name your files. You must follow this format.

[•] All entries must have 1 second of black before the video starts and after it ends.

[•] Files must conform to the technical specifications outlined below. Please read the technical requirements carefully. If frame sizes, frame rates, and audio sampling frequencies do not match the requirements you will be disqualified. Anime Central staff will not convert entries for you nor give technical support in meeting these format requirements.

[•] MPEG-2 file format requirements:

[-] 720x480 Frame Size
      [-] Progressive Video Only
      [-] 23.976 or 29.97 Frames per Second
      [-] 48 kHz MP2 Stereo Audio. We recommend 320 kbps.
      [-] Set Display Aspect Ratio to 4:3 for normal video or letterbox widescreen
      [-] Set Display Aspect Ratio to 16:9 for anamorphic widescreen
      [-] Total file bitrate cannot exceed 15 Mbps

[•] MPEG-4 file format requirements
      [-] Progressive Video Only
      [-] 640 x 480, 848 x 480, 1280x720 Frame Size
      [-] 23.976 or 29.97 Frames per Second
      [-] H.264 video compression
      [-] 48 kHz AAC Stereo Audio. We recommend LC-AAC at 160 kbps instead of HE-AAC.
      [-] Display Aspect Ratio 1:1 (Remember you are submitting in square pixels).

[•] We recommend you check compatibility against the ffdshow decoder before submitting. MPEG-4 is a file format but also refers to compatible codecs such as Divx and Xvid. We are only accepting H.264 MPEG-4 files. This means an mp4 file created by a program such as Nero, Quicktime, or mp4box using H.264 compression. We do not accept avi, mov, or mkv files. If you are not fully versed in MPEG-4 part10 format we request that you file in the MPEG-2 standard.

Entry Submission Instructions:

[•] Mail & Online Entries:
    Visit http://contests.ngsilver.com/login.htm to submit your video information. If this is your first time visiting the website you will need to sign up for an account by clicking on the sign up link and following the directions. If you sent a video to us in 2009 or 2010 you should already have an account.

[•] Online Entries & FTP:
    You must be familiar and have access to a FTP program to use this submission method. Anime Central staff cannot provide teaching experience for FTP software. If you are unfamiliar with how to use FTP software you must send your entry via mail. FTP software recommendations and other information can be found in the FAQ post on our forum.

[•] Mail Entries:
    Package your media carefully in appropriate mailers. Optical media in standard jewel cases can easily break off a hub during shipping.

[•] Mail Entries should be sent to:

Nathaniel Silverthorn
      ATTN: ACEN 2011
      11343 Tecumseh
      Redford Mi, 48239

[•] Final Step: Perform quality control on your entries and read the FAQ post on our forum before mailing or uploading your entries.

----------------
Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
----------------

#2 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

Are manga music videos/MMVs allowed in this as well? I know in the past that GMVs have been allowed, but I'm not sure on your ruling on MMVs.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (60%; Fairy Tail)
Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series), Pearl (100%; Steven Universe)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#3 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:20 AM

According to the "Enter a New Video" page, http://contests.ngsi...com/new_vid.php, "Entry submissions are closed" for the contest. Do they not open until February 1st, as well?

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 23 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#4 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 2476

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:34 AM

The rules were released before the system update was completed and ready to go. The deadline for the submission system to open is Feb 1st, but it may open before that point.
-Nate
AMV ADH/Secretary - ACEN 2011, 2010, 2009
AMV Staff - ACEN 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005

Music Video Contest Coordinator - Video/Audio Track(VAT) DH - Youmacon 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005

The AMV Wars - Chairman - Lead MC
This Week in AMVs

#5 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:36 AM

Just an update for those of you who have been waiting. The entry system is now up and ready to accept new entries. You will be allowed to enter new videos into the system as well as request FTP access to submit your video(s) via the web. However keep in mind, the FTP server is currently not up and running, so FTP requests will only be filed until the server is ready to accept new accounts/videos at which point request will be fulfilled and accounts sent out over email and added to the entry system. Basically, you can request an account now and you will receive your account when the server is ready.

View PostAshori, on 22 January 2011 - 10:57 PM, said:

Are manga music videos/MMVs allowed in this as well? I know in the past that GMVs have been allowed, but I'm not sure on your ruling on MMVs.

I think in the past we have allowed parts of a video to include manga, but I don't remember any video being allowed (or submitted) that was entirely made with manga. The only answer I can give at the moment until we make a formal ruling is possibly. As soon as I have an answer I'll make note of it.
-Nate

Music Video Contest Coordinator - Video/Audio Track(VAT) DH - Youmacon 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005

This Week in AMVs

#6 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

All right. Hopefully MMVs will be allowed, since honestly these are my specialty and I rather go with my strength compared to my weakness. XD
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (60%; Fairy Tail)
Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series), Pearl (100%; Steven Universe)

#7 User is offline   SailorDeath 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

View PostAshori, on 31 January 2011 - 08:51 PM, said:

All right. Hopefully MMVs will be allowed, since honestly these are my specialty and I rather go with my strength compared to my weakness. XD

MMVs are fine. I recall a while ago before I was even on staff here someone submitted a Berserk one that was done fairly well. If you want to make a manga music video feel free to surprise us.
----------------
Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
----------------

#8 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

View PostSailorDeath, on 31 January 2011 - 10:29 PM, said:

MMVs are fine. I recall a while ago before I was even on staff here someone submitted a Berserk one that was done fairly well. If you want to make a manga music video feel free to surprise us.

Very cool then. ^^ Thank you for that clarification.

#9 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

Entered my video, still awaiting FTP access. Just wondering how long this usually takes.

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 31 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

#10 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

View PostSir Viver, on 31 January 2011 - 11:42 PM, said:

Entered my video, still awaiting FTP access. Just wondering how long this usually takes.

http://www.acen.org/...post__p__968567
Info about that is there. Beyond that, normal info is in the FAQ on this same forum.
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#11 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:30 AM

View Postngsilver, on 01 February 2011 - 12:41 AM, said:

http://www.acen.org/...post__p__968567
Info about that is there. Beyond that, normal info is in the FAQ on this same forum.

Whoops. I feel like an idiot now. XD Sorry. Thanks for the info.

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 01 February 2011 - 03:31 AM

#12 User is offline   Necro Dark Prince 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 35097

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

Uh...yeah...

Last year was my first con, and needless to say I noobed out. (Seriously, all my cash gone in the first five minutes of being there.) Plus, I only went to like three panels because I spent most of my time playing DDR. T-T

So I had no clue about AMV contests. I have two questions because I really want to enter.

Is Dead Fantasy eligible?

And High School of The Dead is ecchi and violent, so what category would it fall under, if it's eligible at all?
Be nice, or we'll find you!
When enough just isn't enough...you're overweight.

#13 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

That depends on how you use HSOTD. If you use a lot of the ecchi and violent scenes it may need to be in the hentai contest because the content may be deemed too much for our daylight contest. As for the other categories, that really depends on how you make the video, if you focus on the fighting zombies scenes then it probably would be action, if you focus on the personal relationships that'd be drama or romance. So it really all depends.
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#14 User is offline   Allieelly 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59206

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

Can there be clips from more than one anime in the AMV?

#15 User is offline   Allieelly 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:20 PM

Also, does the song have to be in English, or can it be in Japanese?

#16 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

You can use as many sources as you want. When you goto the entry form you will notice 3 fields to enter in source but by default various is in there in case you have more. As for music, Japanese music is fine.
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#17 User is offline   Allieelly 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

One more question. Is there a time limit on AMVs?

#18 User is offline   SailorDeath 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

View PostAllieelly, on 05 February 2011 - 11:58 PM, said:

One more question. Is there a time limit on AMVs?

No, in the past we've had restrictions on time, but we decided to do away with that rule. Though if your amv is more than 6:30 seconds it might be better suited to be entered into the epic amv contest. However the decision is yours to choose the category you wish to compete in.
----------------
----------------

#19 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Any info on when the FTP servers go up? I keep checking back to my video's status every day... ;_;

#20 User is offline   Fishstix 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59399

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

I watched IE last year and the year before but I've never seen the AMV contest. I'm planning on submitting an entry but I've had a lot of trouble deciding what to enter, I have quite a few questions I was hoping you'd be able to answer:

- First of all if you receive a lot of entries in the romance category and if there are many "anime mix" entries.

- Secondly, if there was any sort of time minimum, for example would a 2 minute long Amv be considered too short?

- Lastly, I was wondering about the amount of "RAW" entries you generally recieve, meaning AMV's with no to little effects (basic flashes, pan/crop, blur, etc)

I apologize in advance for the pestering questions, as stated before I've never actually been to the AMV contest at Acen and I'm trying my hardest to understand the vibe of the contest and the types of entries submitted in order to decide what I myself will submit. Thank You . :]

This post has been edited by Fishstix: 09 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

#21 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

SirVivir: As soon as the FTP server is up and running and ready to accept entries accounts will be created, emails will be sent to those who requested accounts, and an announcement will be made. Most likely, the server will be up sometime tomorrow, but that depends on if the new server cooperates with my testing.

Fishstix:
In the past we have received a lot of entries in every category. We get a broad spread of 'raw' 'mix' 'effects' ect entries generally. I can't say for sure if we'll get the same spread this year as we don't have any idea what kind or how many videos we'll receive until we get them, but I suspect it will be similar this year. Many would also say that a 2 min video would be optimal as it isn't too long and isn't too short, but really what video you send is up to you. I say, send whatever you want as long as it meets the requirements in our rules.
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#22 User is offline   Fishstix 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59399

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

View Postngsilver, on 09 February 2011 - 11:06 PM, said:

Fishstix:
In the past we have received a lot of entries in every category. We get a broad spread of 'raw' 'mix' 'effects' ect entries generally. I can't say for sure if we'll get the same spread this year as we don't have any idea what kind or how many videos we'll receive until we get them, but I suspect it will be similar this year. Many would also say that a 2 min video would be optimal as it isn't too long and isn't too short, but really what video you send is up to you. I say, send whatever you want as long as it meets the requirements in our rules.

Thank you very much! I appreciate the quick reply.

#23 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

For all of you who have been waiting for the FTP server to come online your wait is over. Our new FTP server is up and ready to accept entries. I have sent email's to everyone who requested accounts and your accounts are ready, active, and have been updated in the system. Just remember, if you have any questions or issues related to FTP please email me at acen [at] ngsilver [dot] com. Happy uploading!
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#24 User is offline   SailorDeath 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:35 AM

Just a reminder to all of you, there is now less than one month to submit your entries.
----------------
----------------

#25 User is offline   SailorDeath 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:17 PM

You now have 14 days to enter the amv contest.
----------------
----------------

#26 User is offline   LoveGaara 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 58566

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

So, MMVs are allowed then? Even though they dont have 50% anime footage? (Just double checking even though Im pretty sure it was a yes cuz I dont want to spend time on an MMV that I cant enter)

And then if a video is lets say about a minute thirty seconds, would that be to short? Also, how old can the AMV be?

This post has been edited by LoveGaara: 02 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

ACen 2012 Cosplay: MAYBE Wendy Marvell (Fairy Tail), Revolutionary!America/Alfred F. Jones (Hetalia: Axis Powers)

ACen 2011 Cosplay: Wendy Marvell(Fairy Tail) America/Alfred F. Jones(Hetalia: Axis Powers)
ACen 2010 Cosplay: Sakura Haruno(Naruto)

#27 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

In the past we've allowed them. It really just depends on how the video itself looks in the end.

1:30 wouldn't be too short.

We don't specifically have an age limit on entries, so long as it wasn't submitted to a previous year's contest. Just keep in mind that the newer videos have a tendency to make it further in pre-judging, but not always the case.
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#28 User is offline   Fayelee_Darkclaw 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 17734

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:59 PM

is it to late to submit amv online?
Anime Central 2013 Costumes:
Kyuubi from narut0: 99.9% done
Duo Maxwell (Gundam wing) 100% done
Cosplay I own
Kyuubi (Naruto)Duo Maxwell (Gundam wing)Splicer (Bio shock) Major (Ghost in the Shell) (RETIRED)
Broken Youth Naruto (Naruto) High School Naruto (Naruto) (RETIRED FOR REVAMP)
Sasori (naruto Sleepy time naruto/fox in a Box

#29 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

View PostFayelee_Darkclaw, on 04 April 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

is it to late to submit amv online?

The answer is within the first few listed rules:

View PostSailorDeath, on 22 January 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

[•] All entries must be in the hands of the contest coordinators by April 15, 2011.

-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#30 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:27 AM

Just a quick note for those of you trying to submit via FTP today. The FTP server may be down for a few hours today while the network is being upgraded at my data center (read server room in my house) which after completion should allow for more bandwidth available for uploads (read faster speeds for FTP transfers.) This is suppose to happen between 1PM and 3PM EDT today, but server may be down any time before or after.

I will post another reminder once I verify that the network is down and again once I verify that the network is back up. Sorry for the inconvenience.
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users