How Much To Prepare?

#1 User is offline   MuffinSquire 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58477

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

I have a question!

So, say I was going to a big convention. Like.. ACen, for example. Say this con is about 4x bigger than my normal venue. How on earth do I know how many more things to prepare? I'm assuming I will want to prepare more, but how do I know how much? I have never even been to ACen, so I don't have that to go on, either. I hate the feeling of being underprepared, and if I have nothing to go on I will assume I'm underprepared and will fret until May. ..For example.
Yo.

#2 User is offline   thatreevesgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5892

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

View PostMuffinSquire, on 31 December 2010 - 01:38 PM, said:

I have a question!

So, say I was going to a big convention. Like.. ACen, for example. Say this con is about 4x bigger than my normal venue. How on earth do I know how many more things to prepare? I'm assuming I will want to prepare more, but how do I know how much? I have never even been to ACen, so I don't have that to go on, either. I hate the feeling of being underprepared, and if I have nothing to go on I will assume I'm underprepared and will fret until May. ..For example.

(Since you sold at Detour last year) For me, sales at ACEN are about comparable to Detour (but then again, I sell out at both of homemade items, so it is a little hard to tell at times). The artist to participant ratio is about the same for those two cons.

I go to a lot of conventions, so I just try to make as much as I can in what little time I have and if it doesn't sell at ACEN, it'll sell at the next con. I don't know how many cons you attend, but that is just a good rule of thumb to go by if you attend more than one con a year. Also, there are a lot of really talented artists at ACEN, so competition will be higher, and that does affect sales a bit. However, last year I sold out of crocheted Octopi by 1 p.m. on Saturday, so had I had time to make twice or three times as many of those they probably would have sold.

#3 User is offline   brands01 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59180

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:52 PM

I have a question!

A very rough rule of thumb that we use is, if you know the attendance numbers of the cons you've to, is to figure out what % of the attendees you sell to and apply that to the con you are looking at. For example, you go to a con w/ 2000 in attendance and have 100 transactions. Thats 5%. Now you are going to a con w/ 10000 attendees. 5% would be 500 transactions. You want to be prepared for that much volume. If you have a tendancy to sell out, prepare more.

#4 User is offline   Christy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 2434

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

I have a question!

A lot also depends on what you're selling and if it's a hot commodity/genre right now. Steampunk is the one of the current big trends. Prints were not as popular last year. Cosplay is pretty steady as are plushies and of course pr0n. Comic sales often reflect on what the current popular genre is but usually 30 - 50 books per con is a reasonable goal depending on how many titles you have and how old they are.

Bigger cons means more chances at sales, but it also means more competition and a greater chance of being lost in the crowd.

First time at a given venue is usually a shot in the dark but can set the tone for future. I'd probably follow Brands01 suggestion to scale up according to how you usually do and then base future prep on how you did the previous year though I wouldn't worry about sticking to hard numbers. If you sell out, great - if not, it goes back into stock for the next con. Just don't overload yourself.

#5 User is offline   Chao-Fangirl 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 19459

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

View Postthatreevesgirl, on 31 December 2010 - 01:59 PM, said:

However, last year I sold out of crocheted Octopi by 1 p.m. on Saturday, so had I had time to make twice or three times as many of those they probably would have sold.

Just out of curiosity, how many crocheted Octopi did you make last year, roughly speaking?

#6 User is offline   thatreevesgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5892

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:58 AM

View PostChao-Fangirl, on 05 January 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

Just out of curiosity, how many crocheted Octopi did you make last year, roughly speaking?

Probably about 450 total for the entire year. That was about as many as the 3 of us who make them could handle. there were only 3 conventions that even had any left over. When we had back to back conventions it was really hard to keep things in stock. There a lot of people doing the crocheted thing now, so I don't think it will be as good this year. That's okay though because we have new things planned.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users