Anime Central Forums: Question about plushies! - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Question about plushies! Maybe you can help?

#1 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

This may be a question to email the staff about, but I thought I'd ask the experienced AA goers here first.

I was wondering what is considered fanart and what is considered unlicensed merchandise. Specifically if handmade plushies or crocheted/knitted dolls based off of anime/manga characters are considered fanart or not?

I haven't been to ACen in a few years, and all I remember there being in the Alley were printed goods.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#2 User is offline   Hooked On Chibis! 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59032

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

View PostDavenEvanXaviour, on 21 December 2010 - 12:48 PM, said:

This may be a question to email the staff about, but I thought I'd ask the experienced AA goers here first.

I was wondering what is considered fanart and what is considered unlicensed merchandise. Specifically if handmade plushies or crocheted/knitted dolls based off of anime/manga characters are considered fanart or not?

I haven't been to ACen in a few years, and all I remember there being in the Alley were printed goods.

According to our reading of the FAQ and policies, fan art items that you created with your own two (or more) hands/paws/appendages are good to go in the AA. The concerns are:
- don't use officially licensed representations or poses on your stuff - if you draw your own Pikachu fan art, you can make that into a button, but don't print a picture of Pikachu off from pokemon.com and make THAT into one
- don't mass-produce; if you make a cute fan-art sokka/sasuke image, and hand-paint it onto a pre-made tee, that's fine, but don't develop that pic into a silkscreen and get it printed onto a bunch of tees

This has been the norm at all the other cons we've looked at, and it's certainly the norm at Anime Boston where I've been selling hand-crocheted plushies for a couple of years now. There are exceptions, but in general, if fan art is allowed at all, plushies are okay.

The warning, again: me and my studio-mates have read the policies and we're pretty legally savvy, but WE ARE NOT STAFF, so I'd definitely wait to hear from someone who is actually in charge.

... and if it IS a problem, obviously I'd like to know about that too, since plushies are my bread and butter as well ^^;
Hooked on Chibis!
Handmade adorableness ~~ custom dolls
http://hookedonchibis.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/hookedonchibis

#3 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 19370

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:37 PM

Also not staff, but I'm a textile artist that focuses on plushies.

For the most part, the only thing you really need to be concerned with is making sure that A: The pattern and design is YOURS. DO NOT disassemble an existing plush to copy the pattern. B: Don't try and mimic an existing type of plush. Make it yours. You don't want people to mistake your item for something that is officially licensed, that's the biggest thing.

I've never had a problem at ACEN with my plush, but if you are unsure, I suggest contacting the AA staff with examples of your work. They can give you the final OK.

#4 User is offline   Kitchan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 24242

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

Or you can start a new topic - we staff actually do read and participate in the forums too! :3

Hm. The best case would be to email us with examples of your work so we can give the final okay, but the key points to keep in mind are YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT'S YOUR WORK. That goes for fanart in general as well.

Don't use existing plushies, don't copy/replicate, etc. Make it your own.

You may be asked to provide some evidence that the work is yours, if asked. I know that if I have any doubts, I will be checking. So please, if you have any questions, please run it by us first. (Arranging and asking things before the convention is MUCH preferable to trying to get things okayed AT the convention....)
A wild Kit has appeared! What will you do?

#5 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

View PostKitchan, on 21 December 2010 - 02:12 PM, said:

Or you can start a new topic - we staff actually do read and participate in the forums too! :3

Hm. The best case would be to email us with examples of your work so we can give the final okay, but the key points to keep in mind are YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT'S YOUR WORK. That goes for fanart in general as well.

Don't use existing plushies, don't copy/replicate, etc. Make it your own.

You may be asked to provide some evidence that the work is yours, if asked. I know that if I have any doubts, I will be checking. So please, if you have any questions, please run it by us first. (Arranging and asking things before the convention is MUCH preferable to trying to get things okayed AT the convention....)

Thanks for responding to my question Kitchan!

I am trying to come up with some cute plushies I could make and sell, but I just wasn't sure if it was okay to do existing characters.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#6 User is offline   Ginrei 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 45753

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, anything you make yourself is fanart! =) But if you wanted to do some original stuff, I'm sure that'd be great too. I'd totally buy a little lolita plush or something...

So long as you're not like... super copying an offical plush and/or a pattern someone asked not to be used, it should be fine. I sold crochet plushes and hats of various characters last year...

....and no longer give out the pattern for the hats, because someone else has started mass producing a bad copy of one..... gragh.... >=\

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users