Anime Central Forums: The AA Portfolio Poll - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The AA Portfolio Poll ~Do U portfolio?

Poll: The AA Portfolio Poll (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you manage a YOUR AA porfolio?

1. I bring everything, my booth is my portfolio! (9 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. I only bring anime, my originals are in my portfolio. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I display only anime, but have some other anime in the back ;) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. I display anime, but have other media in my porfolio. (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. I display a little of everything, and have a little everything in my porfolio too. (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

6. I have so much stuff, I have volumes of portfolios. Just ask and see! (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

7. My porfolio is pretty much what I'm selling. (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

8. My sketchbook IS my porfolio. (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

9. My portfolio is digital (i.e. DeviantArt, Etsy) (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

10. A porta what? LOL! (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote

#1 User is offline   Rinji_HalfElf 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 19556

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:27 AM

I haven't really made a portfolio before. But I have so much stuff to choose from!
I'm just wondering what other people are doing with theirs

Please include relevant information such as the dimensions you like to work in.

What type of portfolio carrier do you use? Zip, non zip? Why not drop some brands while you're at it?

What is an acceptable number of pages for an anime convention portfolio?
I know most people are like, bring only 20 pages for regular portfolios, blah blah blah. But at a convention things might be different. Maybe people wanna see everything you do, or only really good pieces. How'd it go for you?

What filing system do you use for multi-portfolios? Do you separate by medium, size, subject, genre, types of work (maybe you have a sequences folder for that big shot manga producer) do tell~!

Would you sell something in you portfolio?

How often do you rotate the items in your portfolio(s)? Or do you make collections and start a new one each time?

Do you recommend bringing other types of work? What are your experiences? Does it get people interested, or are they plain bored? Does it kill down time?

This topic is already getting me excited~ >.>

#2 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:20 AM

My actual portfolio has examples of pretty much everything I've ever done. What I bring to conventions is mostly anime/manga/game related and I don't have everything I've ever done - just my best stuff and what I think or know others would like. One thing I've learned is that a lot of people just casually browse through binders of artwork and if there is TOO much they don't look through it all (there will be some people who insist on looking through everything you have, though).

For my professional portfolio I have a leather binder/case with a clasp. For conventions my prints are separated into everyday binders, one for fanart, one for original artwork, all are sized for 11 x 8.5in sheets of paper. The reason for using just regular binders is because they're getting moved around so much and used and held and such that if the binder itself gets damaged it's not an issue. My professional portfolio is one to two examples per page. My con portfolios are full size - basically because those are copies of the prints I'm selling.

As for how mine are organized, professionally I have it separated by medium - digital 2D, traditional, 3D, web, etc. and I have little to no fan art. But for conventions I mix it up - two eye catching pieces to have open at the beginning and then media mixed about - for me it's helped to ensure people see both my traditional and digital work if they only flip through the first few pages. And like I mentioned before, I do keep my fanart and original artwork in separate files.

I probably add more than I take from my convention portfolios. If I notice something never gets looked at or sold I'll take it out, but if something is popular it stays in for a long time. As for having other work in them, I usually don't, but I always have a stack of business cards in plain sight that lists the type of work I do (digital, traditional, photography, web, manga, etc.) with my website/deviantART on it.

I hope this helps!

My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2015 Cosplay

Friday: Rin Tohsaka - Fate/Stay Night
Saturday: Rinoa - Final Fantasy VIII
Sunday: White Mage (Custom design) - Final Fantasy series

#3 User is offline   Toast 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 53342

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

View PostRinji_HalfElf, on 15 December 2010 - 02:27 AM, said:

What type of portfolio carrier do you use? Zip, non zip? Why not drop some brands while you're at it?

It really depends. If you plan on carrying the portfolio around a lot and you might flip it upsidedown, you can't go wrong with a zip portfolio, although I've heard that non-zip are more professional. Look for a portfolio that has non glossy inserts, because if they are looking at it under a strong light they might only see the light looking back at them!

I can't say for sure. I've heard that 20 pages is good as well, the basic rule is that if you specialize in multiple things and you only want one portfolio, you should have one/two page(s) for each specialty.

It's always good to make copies of portfolio pages so that you can sell them! Definitely don't sell the original thats in the portfolio, because even if you can print another copy it's best to have every page there at the con. You never know who will be looking and when, and you don't want them to see empty pages!

How often do you rotate the items in your portfolio(s)?

I'll do 4 pages of horizontal and then 4 pages of vertical. As long as you don't switch every other page, you're fine.

Do you recommend bringing other types of work?

I definitely do! Maybe someone likes your style, but they want you to make an icon for them or something instead of a full print. It's great to have other examples, like I said earlier - you don't know who will be looking and when!

I hope this stuff helps :)

#4 User is offline   Rinji_HalfElf 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 19556

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

View PostToast, on 15 December 2010 - 11:45 AM, said:

It really depends. If you plan on carrying the portfolio around a lot and you might flip it upsidedown, you can't go wrong with a zip portfolio, although I've heard that non-zip are more professional. Look for a portfolio that has non glossy inserts, because if they are looking at it under a strong light they might only see the light looking back at them!

I can't say for sure. I've heard that 20 pages is good as well, the basic rule is that if you specialize in multiple things and you only want one portfolio, you should have one/two page(s) for each specialty.

It's always good to make copies of portfolio pages so that you can sell them! Definitely don't sell the original thats in the portfolio, because even if you can print another copy it's best to have every page there at the con. You never know who will be looking and when, and you don't want them to see empty pages!

I'll do 4 pages of horizontal and then 4 pages of vertical. As long as you don't switch every other page, you're fine.

I definitely do! Maybe someone likes your style, but they want you to make an icon for them or something instead of a full print. It's great to have other examples, like I said earlier - you don't know who will be looking and when!

I hope this stuff helps :)

When I said rotate, I mean, rotate new and old items in and out of it in the case you have one portfolio ^_^ But that's' good to know too.

I do have vertical and horizontal in my current one. I made sure all the horizontals face only one direction so the person who looks at it only has to rotate portfolio one direction to see any horizontal pics instead the random 360° thing they might have to perform otherwise.

I also don't like handling other peoples stuff too much since it's not mine, so this enables less handling for those who are more timid.

This post has been edited by Rinji_HalfElf: 22 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

#5 User is offline   KurolokiRoku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 1211

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

I have two portfolio cases, one is huge (but I forgot what size, I bought it so long ago) and the other is 8.5x11. I've always thought it looked very professional when sellers had their prints for display in a small portfolio case like this, so I want to do the same. It's a zip-up, and it has a nice leathery cover (don't remember if it's real or not, but I don't suppose I could afford real leather). It was sort of expensive, but worth it.

I plan on getting rid of the bigger one (also my first one) partly because it looks cheap compared to the quality I'd like to emulate now, and mostly because it takes up way too much space! I typically display my most current sketchbook along with some original drawings laid across the table, plus I need room for some free fliers and some working space. With my newer portfolio, there's just not enough room on the table. I don't even have anything large enough to fill a whole sheet.

I only bring anime- or Japan-related art with me, although since I'm not in school anymore there's nothing else I really make, so I don't need to worry too much about that.

I only like to show my best and most recent work, but in the past I would just bring anything I had because I had so little to display my talent with. They seemed to help me get some business and attention, because of course it was better than having nothing out at all. This year, I think I'll finally have a body of work to display that really shows my favorite media and subjects and what I'm most passionate about. I think that's probably the best route to go.

#6 User is offline   Fyire Childe 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59629

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

For conventions I use a binder that is beginning to be plastered with my bumper stickers and archival sleeves. I print all pieces on 8.5 x 11 cardstock and use it as my print & poster list as well as examples of commission work, pretty much everything is in there...I need a bigger binder soon.
For my professional portfolio I have a set of four Pina Zangaro Aluminum post portfolios in multiple sizes, items are printed on rag paper or cardstock as appropriate to the portfolio size and one hand bound accordion fold portfolio. I also have a extra large corrugated plastic (24x30) tote for over-sized pieces. I remove old art as I create portfolio worthy pieces, I never have more than 20 images in my professional portfolio.

I know most people are like, bring only 20 pages for regular portfolios, blah blah blah. But at a convention things might be different. Maybe people wanna see everything you do, or only really good pieces. How'd it go for you?

Well, the limit on page number for a pro-portfolio is to ensure you make the absolute best impression possible. At a convention, you may be showing to an editor or art director unintentionally, but mostly to the public...and they like variety. Chose the best 60% of your work and include it. I judge based on a "would I try to sell this to someone" standard, this has gotten more lax over the years. XD;

What filing system do you use for multi-portfolios? Do you separate by medium, size, subject, genre, types of work (maybe you have a sequences folder for that big shot manga producer) do tell~!

I have a professional illustration portfolio that contains only quality editorial/advertising illustrations and concept designs. A general sequential portfolio that has a good mix of pencils, inks and colored pages. A colorist portfolio of only work I have colored for others. A graphic design portfolio, the hand bound one...I also keep small index card sized prints to use in mini portfolios for travel and shipping.

Have and done, the only things I don't sell are my examples of previous commissions or spot illustrations from collaborative projects, out of respect for the original commissar, a little weird to sell a portrait of someones daughter for example.

How often do you rotate the items in your portfolio(s)? Or do you make collections and start a new one each time?

When ever I feel like it. Usually when I have a new piece for the pro ones, or I'm sick of looking at something for my general con binder...

Do you recommend bringing other types of work? What are your experiences? Does it get people interested, or are they plain bored? Does it kill down time?

I'm too lazy to pull stuff out unless the conventions specify original art only, so I say go ahead and bring "other" stuff. I designed a tattoo once since someone liked something non-anime they saw in my portfolio. It can kill the mood for some people and sometimes you find the one person at the convention who will openly admit to loving Babylon 5 as much as you do...not that I've had that experience, no. <_<;;;
I also usually bring something I'm actively working on out of necessity to conventions. Deadlines don't go away just cause you get a table, my favorite example was coding a website without wi-fi one year as a deadline was moved up and I got a couple of pity purchases for my stressed face.

The biggest thing about your portfolio(s) is to keep in mind the purpose you want them to serve. I assume you are assembling this portfolio specifically for conventions, so I would counsel you to include things similar to what you sell or hope to be requested to draw at said convention. I've noticed that the less you have in your portfolio the faster people will move on from it to the rest of your table and if you have more they will choose to look at it or your general wares. It is a bit overwhelming in the Artist Alley at times.

Good luck with your project!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users