• You cannot reply to this topic

Old AMV Question

#1 User is offline   gamerblue 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 57327

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:26 AM

Not sure this is the right forum but It does have to do with anime. A long time ago I dabbled in AMVs. I made a few but one I put on youtube has 226,310 and people still watch it. I never thought it would be popular but I did spend alot of time on it. I've never submitted one for a con. What I'm really asking is do you think I have the calibur to compete at a con? (note this vid is 5 years old made with Sony Vegas)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMfQ56xLEM4[/media]

If you think so I plan on redoing this vid and fixing the things I didnt care for with it. (maybe redoing it with Brotherhood)
"I'm still a geek on the inside, that's the important thing." - Weird Al Yankovic

#2 User is offline   Lord Warhammer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11892

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

go for it.
Artist Alley Assistant Department Head!
myspace, facebook, youtube, and photobucket links are on my about me page.
ACEN cosplays.. time to plan plan plan.

I go to and staff many cons. Let's have a blast!

#3 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

I'm going to give an honest review as someone who does judge AMVs on occasion at cons. If you don't want an honest review, stop reading now.

What I immediately noticed was that the quality of video seemed low. I'm not sure if this is youtube's fault or the footage that you used. But if you are going to submit it to a con, I would definitely find some high quality footage if its not youtube.

I assume the theme you were going for in the video was a journey as it seemed to go further and further into the series the more you watched and ultimately ended at the end of the series. The song was nice to accompany this and you kept a lot of the action scenes out that would just be awkward to show to a softer song. Or rather I feel you used just enough to maintain interest without spoiling the softness that the song portrayed.

The overlaying of scenes on top of each other got annoying at points. They also seemed to serve no real purpose. I couldn't tell why this was happening other than using effects for the sake of using effects. You are trying to create a nice, soft, drama video. Effects should be limited and not used unless they can help tell the story you are trying to tell better. Not to say all the effects were bad. I did enjoy the face in the clouds toward the mid point I believe of the video. It didn't distract from what you were seeing on screen and it does add a little something to the video.

Overall its not a bad video. Theres definitely stuff I would rework before submitting it. Also just messing with stuff to make it look more crisp and cleaner overall. Especially if you are going to use effects. If they stand out and are very obvious that they don't belong, it takes away from the video visually. With great effects, it should look like this is just a scene from the anime and you did nothing to it.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#4 User is offline   gamerblue 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 57327

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

Yeah the program I was using has issues with effects....its all out or nothing at all. This was years ago before Youtube had HD video so it completely destroyed the quality of the video. I no longer have the original as it was all lost in a HD crash. The video started out as a test of the new program to see what it could do. I would have prefered the over-lays to be more transparent but that wasnt an option in the program. I'm also not happy with the ending.
"I'm still a geek on the inside, that's the important thing." - Weird Al Yankovic

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users