• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Looking for a Good Printer Someplace to order prints

#1 User is offline   maqqy96 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 9089

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

I've been selling in AA (at various cons) for years. I do all my own printing, up to 8.5 x 11, and the quality is great, since I splurged and got a good HP ink jet. However, I've been wanting to offer posters for awhile. I HAD a good place, but they've apparently closed their doors. Now I'm trying to find another place that does reasonably-priced large prints or posters of a good quality. Places like Kinko's, Staples, Office Depot and other local stores just don't have a good enough quality (there are always streaks and blotches on their stuff).

Does anyone know a good print shop where I can send in an image and have the posters delivered to me? I'd really like to start building up my stock before my con season starts in April.

Thanks so much in advance!

#2 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

I've heard some smaller independent shops can do some pretty good work. I'd look at them before going to those "big" places. I know of one small one-man shop here that does that sort of stuff but I haven't used him so I can't jusge his work personally.

I know another larger local (Illinois) shop is planning to install a 40" HP wide-format dye-type printer, but that too is yet to be judged for quality. I'm keeping tabs on tehm as I wouldn't mind a few large printed tings too...
This space intentionally left blank.

#3 User is offline   Seph 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11372

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

you definitely need to contact me...

#4 User is offline   rei_0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 4098

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

You know what? I've been looking for the same thing, but for your usual small formats and small batches. Something I can order online is especially important to me, since not having a car makes it difficult to try and go around to different places.

Maybe if I'm really lucky and can make enough money from commissions to buy a real printer instead of my $30 broken printer/scanner.
2013 Cosplay - Fluttershy
Red Mage (maybe)

Artist Alley Table 165! Forest for the Trees
Come say hi!

#5 User is offline   thatreevesgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5892

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

http://www.corporatecopyprint.com/ is a really nice family owned copy place in Independence (Kansas City area), Missouri. Some of my friends get all of their stuff done there, as well as for the convention they run. If you are looking for a place that can give you good prices and good service for smaller runs I would use them. If that is no where near your area you can still order online (I live in Nebraska, and they are cheaper than any of my local places).

Then I have two places I do larger runs (sometimes 50 prints, but usually if I'm looking for 100 or more, usually for graphic design work at this point). http://www.uprinting.com is where I go for 11 x 17 poster stuff. Their 50 run isn't too badly priced, but it can usually be matched by local people too. Printers just aren't that competitive in Lincoln, and prices are high for me. http://www.gotprint.com is also another place that is priced okay. Sometimes "flyers" are the better options for printing at these places.

I would actually just spend the money on a large format printer. I paid $125 for mine, and the ink is cheap. I can make 13 x 19 good quality prints for about $1.50 (well, I got my paper on super clearance on eBay, and it depends on the ink saturation for that size, but it isn't that far off)

This post has been edited by thatreevesgirl: 12 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users