Anime Central Forums: Reviving DnD! - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Reviving DnD! Who wants to bring Dungeons and Dragons back to life?

#1 User is offline   spazchan 

• EMRT
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 18860

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

I have been wanting to start playing old school DnD for some time. Who would be interested in playing DnD like one weekend every month? I was thinking playing 3.5e. I have most of the books and extra dice. Beginners would be welcome. Right now seeing who likes the idea.
Costume ProgressProject Riddler = 100%
Project Steam Punk Riddler = 0%

I B Back

#2 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

Uhh, where at?
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#3 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

I don't think I want to revive DnD......
ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#4 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

DnD never died.

#5 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:34 PM

Personally I prefered 2nd edition. It was far better for my Ranger character. Back before they made me decide between Bow or Dual-wield.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#6 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:00 AM

It would either be this or a Gnome Monk for me:

Name: Billy Mays
Race: Human
Class/lvl: Bard 3 / Mohrg 3 (Libris Mortis)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
STR: 16 (+3)
DEX: 18 (+4)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 08 (-1)
CHA: 20 (+5)
INIT: +8
REF: +7
WILL: +5
FORT: +2

HP: 81
Base Attack: +3
AC 15
FF 11
Touch 15

Skills:
Climb +9
Listen +5
Move Silently +10
Spot +5
Hide +10
Swim +3
Appraise +4
Perform Oritary +14
Diplomacy +13
Sense Motive +7
Escape Artist +10
Balance +10
Tumble +10
Concentration +7

Feats:
Improved Initiative (+4 to Initiative; PHB1),
Duanting Presence (You may take a standard action to awe an opponent.
The opponent must be within 30 feet, have line of sight to you,
and have an Intelligence score. If the opponent fails a Will saving
throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Cha modifi er),
it is shaken for 10 minutes. This feat has no effect on a creature
that is already shaken. Featured in Libris Mortis)

Positive Energy Resistance (You gain resistance 10 against positive energy effects,
such as cure spells. Featured in Libris Mortis)
Negotiator (+2 bonus on Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks. PHB1)
Skill focus: Perform Oritary (+3 bonus on Perform Oritary. PHB1)

Abilities:
Bardic music, bardic knowledge, countersong, fascinate, inspire courage +1, Inspire competence, slam 1d4, Darkvision 60ft, +1 natural armor bonus, Undead Traits (Immune to
mind-affecting spells and abilities, poison, sleep, paralysis,
stunning, and disease. Not subject to extra damage from critical
hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, energy drain, or
death from massive damage. When an undead is reduced to
0 hit points, it is immediately destroyed. A destroyed undead
can be reanimated with a limited wish, wish, or miracle spell)

Spells:
0 lvl: 3
1 lvl: 1

Items: OxiClean, Orange Clean, Orange Glo, Gopher, and Kaboom

This post has been edited by TekoMuto: 01 November 2010 - 08:08 AM

i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#7 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

3.5 for the win!

I still play every Saturday with the same group of friends I've been playing with for 7 years :3

The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#8 User is offline   spazchan 

• EMRT
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

I have been on DnD withdraw for some time and looking find a group to play with. As for where it all depends who all would play. I mean it would be silly to have it far away from most of the people.

I B Back

#9 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

I wanna play D&D out here too, but people only wanna play 4.0 or some spinoff of 3.5 (ferget wat it's called)

I really wanna make my Gnome Barbarian/monk. His catchphrase would be: "Howbout I slap your Sh*t!?"
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#10 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

the 3.5 spin off... I know what you're talking about but it eludes me. EDIT: It's called PATHFINDER.

I currently play a level 8 elf rogue in our 3.5 eberron campaign. She's Chaotic good but due to a suggestion spell and her already huge distaste for a party member who is a complete idiot she kinda gouged his eyes out... waiting to see what happens next session from that ^^;

damn rolling critical+Sneak Attack+high damage on an ally when under a suggestion spell...

This post has been edited by TaiyakiOni: 01 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

The Oni of Taiyaki

#11 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 01 November 2010 - 01:11 PM, said:

damn rolling critical+Sneak Attack+high damage on an ally when under a suggestion spell...

rofl, thats always fun.

reminds me of my ranger Echii Domo-Kun. One of the party members decided to rob the party whilst we slept. I made the wakeup save and cuaght him via a grappling hook to the face. I tied him up and alerted the other party members. We decided to kill him since we were all chaotic evil. I made his spine into a belt :3

#12 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

View PostTekoMuto, on 01 November 2010 - 01:31 PM, said:

rofl, thats always fun.

reminds me of my ranger Echii Domo-Kun. One of the party members decided to rob the party whilst we slept. I made the wakeup save and cuaght him via a grappling hook to the face. I tied him up and alerted the other party members. We decided to kill him since we were all chaotic evil. I made his spine into a belt :3

I killed a ninja with a grappling hook once, and then shortly after helped the ninja's kill a party member who accidentally shot me with a crossbow in the middle of battle ( Neutral Evil and full of murderous intent ). Fun stories exist in every group :3
The Oni of Taiyaki

#13 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

My fave DnD moment was the only time I played a spellcaster. 2 team members pissed me off so when we had to sneak in somewhere I polymorphed them. The male Dwarf became a scantly clad female elf & the female elf became a male dwarf... then I pulled polymorph out of my spellbook & burned it so they were stuck like that :lol:

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#14 User is offline   spazchan 

• EMRT
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

So who would be game? I find it fun doing an all day event. It would be meet in the morning or meet up the night before wake up and play all day, or whatever people feel like. I just want to start playing again. Also I am kinda the odd ball living in WI, I would travel to IL if majority lived in IL.

I B Back

#15 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

I'll look at 3.5 & see if I can build a decent character that's to my liking before I say yes or no.

#16 User is offline   spazchan 

• EMRT
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

I already have two that are interested. Already built my main villian and assistant. I am enjoying this storline... *cackles* I love playing evil!

I B Back

#17 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

Name: Takishima Billy
Race: Gnome
Class/lvl: Barbarian 3 / Monk 3
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
STR: 18 (+4)
DEX: 14 (+2)
CON: 18 (+4)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 12 (+1)
CHA: 8 (-1)
INIT: +6
REF: +3
WILL: +3
FORT: +3
SPD:40ft

HP: 84
Base Attack: +5
AC +12
FF +12
Touch +14

Flurry of Blows:
Attbonus +6/+6
Unarmed Damage: 1d6+11

Skills:
Climb +13
Jump +13
Listen +13
Sense Motive +7
Swim +11

Feats:
Improved Initiative: +4 to initiative
Vow of Chastity (STR): AS long as chara doesn't have sex, +2 to selected ability. if chara has sex, chara must atone to get the +2 bonus back.
Weapon Focus (Flurry of blows): +1 to attacks/dmg when using Flurry of Blows
Improved Unarmed Strike: You are considered to be armed even when unarmed—that is, you do not provoke attacks or opportunity from armed opponents when you attack them while unarmed. However, you still get an attack of opportunity against any opponent who makes an unarmed attack on you. In addition, your unarmed strikes can deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your option.
Stunning Fist: You must declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). Stunning Fist forces a foe damaged by your unarmed attack to make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wis modifier), in addition to dealing damage normally. A defender who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next action). A stunned character can’t act, loses any Dexterity bonus to AC, and takes a –2 penalty to AC. You may attempt a stunning attack once per day for every four levels you have attained (but see Special), and no more than once per round. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be stunned.
Deflect Arrows:You must have at least one hand free (holding nothing) to use this feat. Once per round when you would normally be hit with a ranged weapon, you may deflect it so that you take no damage from it. You must be aware of the attack and not flatfooted. Attempting to deflect a ranged weapon doesn’t count as an action. Unusually massive ranged weapons and ranged attacks generated by spell effects can’t be deflected.

Abilities:
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects, such as the Spell Focus feat.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears).
+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants).
+2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
+2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks
Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
Low-light vision.
Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat
Monk Bonus Feat 1: Stunning Fist
Flurry of Blows (Ex): When unarmored, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a –2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column on Table: The Monk. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. When a monk reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to –1, and at 9th level it disappears. A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham). She may attack with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus × 1-1/2 or ×1/2) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can’t use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.

In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability. Even though the quarterstaff requires two hands to use, a monk may still intersperse unarmed strikes with quarterstaff strikes, assuming that she has enough attacks in her flurry of blows routine to do so.
Monk Bonus Feat 2: Deflect Arrows
Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains an enhancement bonus to her speed +10. A monk in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.
Still Mind (Ex): A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment.
Fast Movement (Ex): A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.
Illiteracy: Barbarians are the only characters who do not automatically know how to read and write. A barbarian may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak.
A barbarian who gains a level in any other class automatically gains literacy. Any other character who gains a barbarian level does not lose the literacy he or she already had.
Rage (Ex): A barbarian can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the barbarian’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (–2 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 17th-level barbarian, at which point this limitation no longer applies; see below).

A barbarian can fly into a rage only once per encounter. At 1st level he can use his rage ability once per day. At 4th level and every four levels thereafter, he can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of six times per day at 20th level). Entering a rage takes no time itself, but a barbarian can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else’s action.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a barbarian retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Trap Sense (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a barbarian gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise by +1 every three barbarian levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Spells:
Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day-speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day-dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome's Cha modifier + spell level.

Items:
Pointy Red Hat
Tattered Monk Garb

#18 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

After playing around with the Character builder, I wanna join. I just need to know what races are allowed & what expansions you're planning to use so I can tweak my character ideas.

My wife is planning to come, but not sure if she's going to play.

Also what level are characters starting at?

This post has been edited by Kitsu-chan: 02 November 2010 - 08:28 PM

#19 User is offline   Naruto9thDemon 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9171

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:13 AM

I would love to play if I lived closer to the Chicago area
~* That's Right I'm Kira *~

http://www.youtube.c...TR?feature=mhum

^ My Youtube Channel. Check it out.

#20 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:40 AM

Playing a 3.5 game now that I'm DMing. Never really tried my hand at it much, but it is fun if not a bit stressful when the PCs pull something out I am not at all prepared for. Still, my biggest strength is thinking fast, so its not terrible. Though I think if I weren't so bad at the preparation and planning stages, I could avoid some of the frustration.

I'm trying to shy away from evil villains in favor of a more evil entity. A villain can be slain quickly by a couple lucky rolls. An entity is a long process to kill over the course of many adventures. Currently my players are about 5 or 6 deep with a few weeks here or there spent side questing to lighten the mood and give a little more classic dungeon crawling experience which the crew really seem to enjoy. This week was a light hearted romp of slaying the undead. Next week they get to decide if they want to destroy the enemy's means of production and by doing so weaken the prison of a dark god. I look forward to their choice because either way, I win.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#21 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:13 AM

View PostFlyingElf, on 04 November 2010 - 05:40 AM, said:

Playing a 3.5 game now that I'm DMing. Never really tried my hand at it much, but it is fun if not a bit stressful when the PCs pull something out I am not at all prepared for. Still, my biggest strength is thinking fast, so its not terrible. Though I think if I weren't so bad at the preparation and planning stages, I could avoid some of the frustration.

I'm trying to shy away from evil villains in favor of a more evil entity. A villain can be slain quickly by a couple lucky rolls. An entity is a long process to kill over the course of many adventures. Currently my players are about 5 or 6 deep with a few weeks here or there spent side questing to lighten the mood and give a little more classic dungeon crawling experience which the crew really seem to enjoy. This week was a light hearted romp of slaying the undead. Next week they get to decide if they want to destroy the enemy's means of production and by doing so weaken the prison of a dark god. I look forward to their choice because either way, I win.

Ya can make reoccuring villians though, those are always fun. I made one for the world I use when I teach people how to play D&D. He's a CR 20 gnome enchanter named Sphere whom stands on a magick carpet and flies around doing whatever he wants. Usually the the PCs encounter him near the end of the dungeon/wherever he's doing something now, and he enchants something to make it the boss, lets the PCs battle it and escapes. The PCs can then either choose to hunt him down or go somewhere else, but they'll run into him again. His main goals are to merge planes, destroy towns in new ways, permanantly enlarging random objects/creatures for his amusement, shrinking stuff, creating paradoxes, and running his own mage guild (which is very sucessful, even has a city wherest everyone is a practicing member of his guild. Join now and get a free rod of enlarge size). I space out encounters with him 1-3 sessions, depending on the last encounter. Somehow he's usually linked to the encounters that he's not even in due to his effects on the world and most of the time the PCs don't even know it (like somehow the PCs have an outrageously high bounty on their head. Last encounter they saved a village from a giant acid spitting toad, and were praised as saints throughout the land. Sphere wants his toad back)

This post has been edited by TekoMuto: 04 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

#22 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:32 AM

I could do this in Chicago on the weekends.

#23 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

free food, liqour and lodgin if we do this at my place

#24 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

At the cost of your anus

#25 User is offline   spazchan 

• EMRT
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

that and a plane ticket... So who is game? I can DM I have some very vivid NPCs and wide assortment of books. I would say we start off at level 5. Also if someone would be willing to offer a location to play would be wonderful. PM me if you are interested I want to organize a meet-up soon.

Oh and Kitsune, as for expansions we may use them all... I like tossing people into random dimensions... lol

I B Back

#26 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:34 AM

View Postspazchan, on 04 November 2010 - 04:57 PM, said:

that and a plane ticket... So who is game? I can DM I have some very vivid NPCs and wide assortment of books. I would say we start off at level 5. Also if someone would be willing to offer a location to play would be wonderful. PM me if you are interested I want to organize a meet-up soon.

Oh and Kitsune, as for expansions we may use them all... I like tossing people into random dimensions... lol

My obeese Human paragon still hasn't left the tavern

#27 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:42 AM

View Postspazchan, on 04 November 2010 - 04:57 PM, said:

If we're using all expansions, I know exactly which character I'm using. I already made a Doppleganger Rogue using Point-Buy for my stats when I was playing with the character generator.

#28 User is offline   spazchan 

• EMRT
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:44 PM

lol and I was planning to start off at that same bar!

I B Back

#29 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

How many ponits do we get to for Point-Buy with our stats?

#30 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

View Postspazchan, on 05 November 2010 - 01:44 PM, said:

lol and I was planning to start off at that same bar!

DIBS ON BEING A REOCCURRING NPC

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users