• This topic is locked

How are you saving money?

#1 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:11 PM

By now, we all know how expensive this little habit (or addiction in my case) is. I want to know how everyone is saving money, because perhaps someone is doing something that I haven't thought of yet. Plus I think other people would find the info useful as well.

Recently I bought one of those big water jugs that you usually see in office buildings. I bought it purposely because the money is next to impossible to get at unless I cut it open. (Which I will do when ACen comes around.)If I have it in a bank account, and/or a card, I'm more likely to spend it. Currently, I am taking $20 out of every single paycheck I get. No matter how many I get, and how much they are for. I also stick any change I have in my pocket at the end of the day in the container, as well as cash, up to $3.00. I should have a nice stockpile by the time May comes around.

So please, throw out your ideas! I need all the help I can get, and I'm sure someone else does too!
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#2 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

Don't spend the money and save it instead.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#3 User is offline   rwarsauce 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 46332

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

I just don't buy stuff I don't need, which is kind of hard... I see it I like it I have the impulse to buy. BUT I save regardless never for a specific reason x3

#4 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

I usually use some of my tax check, and some money i saved up months before. lol I don't buy too much at acen especially since I go with alot of people, and it's usually 4/5 people per car, so there isn't much space to buy things. lol
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#5 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:42 PM

I plan on putting 75% of my checks into my savings account which is solely only for ACEN.
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#6 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:19 PM

Every paycheck I make I just save for Acen. :)
Although I'm a High school student...so I don't pay for food or rent, if I did, I would put about $30-50 of the money away for Ace.

#7 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Don't book a hotel*, and only get a ticket for 1 day.

*I am not saying sleep elsewhere, I am saying only go to one day so a hotel room is not needed.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#8 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

Keeping in mind I'm only paying for groceries for myself at school and my cellphone msg/data plan, I save by:

- When I get my paycheck I decide between 20-40 bucks to set aside from the check. After I make sure that I'm going to cover the other expenses I need from that check, I put the saving money into an account that I can't access with my card. And there is sits until May. My usual goal is between 250-300 which covers food AND swag.

And because I just thought about it - How do I save money AT the con?
- I spend my first time in the dealers hall looking around FIRST. Trying to get a feel of who has what, who has sales, what do I want and making mental notes of it all. Then I decide on what my big purchase will be. That's what I get first because after that I can't justify spending more on anything that I did on that. My first year it was 75 on an ED Jacket. My second year I think it was on either my $25 kimono or a dvd set. This year ...i don't remember what it was..i think it was a grab bag >.< Basically I try to make sure that I know what I want to get. As a subset to this:
* I make a list of what I want to buy before hand. IE - I always want a wall scroll of some sort, clothes of a sort and one box set. =^_^=

- I also make it a point to get one grab bag. There is one place that the $25 bag ALWAYS has a messenger bag in it so just with that item you've broken even. then there is also manga, dvds and some buttons maybe.

- finally. I get 100-150 of what I saved in cash and make sure I spend that first. Since I don't have it all in cash AND I'm caring around big bills, I'm less likely to just buy anything that I see. After I spend the cash then I'm even more specific because I have to use my card and that normally adds an extra charge.

These are my tips....I hope they help
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#9 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

With every year I attended Acen I figured out what I need to save:

2008-2010: I used my paycheck, tips, tax refund and any lottery tick winnings to fund my part of the hotel I share with my friends and for other things I come across.

Tip: Ask your self before you buy 'Do I need this now or can it wait?'

This post has been edited by MsLovelyCookie: 04 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#10 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

What I usually end up doing is having $10.00 automatically go into a savings account from every paycheck.I also take some of my tax refund and save about 10% of it for ACen.

Set a goal for yourself on what you can possibly afford without starving your wallet. Have that container with "ACen or bust" on it. :D

It's a strong will power to not give into a minor sale or something you think you 'need'. Remember there is need and want [I constantly tell myself this]. I look strange when I sit there and go do I need or want this? It makes me put back or exit out of a lot of spurges.

If needed map out your income, your bills and your leftover cash for the month and it give a better picture of how much money you have to play with. That's how I stay on the ball of paying everything on time, still being able to save and got out and have a good time every once in a while. :)

#11 User is offline   Sandstorm 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58954

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

By not having a PS3 and just dealing with the fact that everyone else besides me gets to play Final Fantasy 13. /disheartened
^I'm just Saiyan.

#12 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

Tend to use my tax rebate check for some. Going with a group is definitely a help, especially if you're staying in a hotel at the con. But honestly, most of it is just the fact that I've always had a pretty well paying job (even in school, though obviously it's much better now), so I can just take my last paycheck before the con and use part of that (after paying bills and other essentials of course).
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#13 User is offline   stumpy1337 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 45996

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

i save any money that i get including lunch money that my parents give me, i just stop eating lunch at school or bring a lunch and then any extra money that i get. ill even do odd jobs around my house to make some extra cash.
ACEN year 6 here i come

#14 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

Take walks around the neighborhood.

I did that on a regular basis and managed to find a fair amount of lost coins and bills.

Found about $60 one year alone (winter excluded). Hint: check near outdoor pay phones especially near bars.

20 cents a package ramen noodles help too... (add "stir fry" veggies and/or cut up hot dogs/other bits).
This space intentionally left blank.

#15 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

Just like every other year, I have a coin jar that I dump my spare change into. It used to be a large applesauce jar, so it's pretty good sized. I usually get around $100 from it at least.

It's looking a bit low this year, though, so I'm also cutting way back on things like PVC figures and such, and anything else I don't need.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#16 User is offline   short_pixie89 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 48468

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

View PostOhki, on 02 November 2010 - 05:49 PM, said:

Just like every other year, I have a coin jar that I dump my spare change into. It used to be a large applesauce jar, so it's pretty good sized. I usually get around $100 from it at least.

It's looking a bit low this year, though, so I'm also cutting way back on things like PVC figures and such, and anything else I don't need.

My bf and I do the same thing. We have a huge plastic jar that used to be full of atomic fire balls :) We just throw in spare change or change left over from the end of the week into the bucket. We tend to usually get about enough saved to pay for both of our portions of the hotel room, which is usually around $200, so it's a really good plan. You can also return bottles or do odd jobs for your parents/people that are willing to pay you. Also, since ACen isn't too far after my bday, I usually just ask for money and save part of that as well. Buying snacks and drinks in bulk and outside of the hotels also helps save a ton and of course as others have stated just try to watch what you buy. If you're doing cosplay, try to find cheaper materials that you can use or wait for things to go on sale. My Botan cosplay alone for Youma cost me around $100 and that's with getting pretty much every part of it 40% off (thank god for JoAnn coupons haha)
And it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a little extra cash because it's always better to have a little more in case of an emergency or something, or if your hotel charges you up front, etc.
2012 Cosplays
Lady Zola (Blue Dragon)
Applejack (MLP:FiM)
Mizune (5 sister combined form) (Soul Eater)

#17 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 22845

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

I am the worst when it comes to spending money. You only live once, right?
Between ACens, I'm spending my paychecks on figures, clothes, and food. Those
are the three main necessities of my life, as absurd as it may sound. :lol:

...Not necessarily in that order. XDDD

Usually a paycheck or two is good enough to cover my ACen trip (NOT INCLUDING
THE OUTRAGEOUS HOTEL FEE. That my friends and I split, so it ends up being about
$100 a person.) So, with hotel share in mind, I'd need to save about three paychecks,
three weeks before the con. That'd give me around $600 to divide between hotel,
dealer's room/artist's alley, and the extravagant trip to Woodman's/Aldi before
the drive down to ACen. :lol:

I usually blow all of my money, and then take a trip to the ATM, in the dealer's room.
I have little self-control, I know, you don't have to tell me. XD IT'S THAT ONE TIME
A YEAR YOU CAN JUST GO CRAZY AND BUY ALL THE SWEET ANIMU CRAP YOU'VE BEEN LUSTING OVER.

That's it. :lol:

ACen '12
Gamzee Makara (Homestuck)
Prospit!Gamzee (Homestuck)
God Tier!John (Homestuck)

#18 User is offline   CurseOfTheLeek 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29781

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:16 AM

I allocate what I make in a week so that I know how much money I'll have after bills etc. Then determine how much of that I want to save for acen. It's been harder this year than in previous because my hours have been greatly cut this year - so there's hardly anything left after bills. To try to make amends for this, I've been trying to buy cheaper versions of things I buy on a regular basis: 6 pack of blue moon = $8 vs. 6 pack of special export = $3.50. I also usually plan on saving the better part of my tax return on acen.
Also rock the "ACen or Bust" milk jug. I put in whatever I found/had in pockets or car. Had $80 after only a few months, this year I'll have a whole year's worth of change hoarding.
If that fails, try putting up a red light camera in front of your driveway. Or mug people, it's pretty much the same thing.
I will be was an absolutely enchanting totally ordinary Persona 4 protagonist gas station attendant.

#19 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

i try to make as accurate schematics as possible
this allows me to account for all the aspects of a cosplay including, form, structure/support, mechanics, electrical, ventilation, and paint/finishing
then i take this info and calculate how many units of material i need
its a bit of work
but by the end i have a much better idea of how to construct a cosplay
saving time and waste(money) in R&D
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#20 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

joined the military, funds increased
made rank due to previous college classes, funds increased
every year we get around a $100-$200 raise, funds increased
got a house last week, funds are about to increase +$957, the rent is $500 a month, sht is so cash

also I have access to the +50 unemptying dumpsters of random materials here on the base, nothing like free materials.
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#21 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

I just don't spend. Simple as that. I pinch the pennies. If I don't need it to live, I don't buy it. Also the discipline of saving is from being in college so that helps. I have much money coming in because it never goes out. I never eat out, I don't buy much. If I do it's with meal plan. XD mmmm TV frozen dinners!!!!
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#22 User is offline   stumpy1337 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 45996

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

my parents just asked me what i want for my birthday/x-mas(they are only like one week apart) and i said money so im probibly going 2 set most or all of it for acen
ACEN year 6 here i come

#23 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

Saving? What's that? ;-;

But in all seriousness... Tax refunds are a god send. I plan on using some of it... depends on how much I get back. I was kind of wanting to use most of it to book myself a trip to California in October *coughcoughyaoiconcough*, but it depends on how much I can save this year... (I plan on the SRS SAVING come January... xD)
Possible Cosplays-
Takanashi Rikka - Chuunibyou (95% done)
Onoda Sakamichi - Yowamushi Pedal(90%)
Tokino - Lamento: Beyond the Void(75% done)

#24 User is offline   Shinamura 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58903

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

i just use my tax return for acen. Which gives me about 1700 to spend so I'm happy with that... It mainly goes to booze,
"Whats the point of having boobs if I dont use them to my advantage?"

-a random conversation at acen 2010.

#25 User is offline   Sandstorm 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58954

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:01 PM

I pimp.

It's good money, but despite the many technological advancements society has made, it's still ain't easy.
^I'm just Saiyan.

#26 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:31 PM

i usually save xmas/birthday money and now recently some extra money ive been getting. ^__^ i think ive been doing good so far.
ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#27 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:39 AM

Uhm... well work money.. My theory is you work hard, you play hard.. so why the hell not you know. I'm also thinking of asking for money too, but that'll likely go towards something else. I'm getting so into this con scene now I want to open up a whole savings account up just for conventions.. lol.. *prays for no fees*

#28 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

View PostATICE, on 04 December 2010 - 01:39 AM, said:

Uhm... well work money.. My theory is you work hard, you play hard.. so why the hell not you know. I'm also thinking of asking for money too, but that'll likely go towards something else. I'm getting so into this con scene now I want to open up a whole savings account up just for conventions.. lol.. *prays for no fees*

Is that why you were broke at Youmacon? XD
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#29 User is offline   Gavin Locke 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59068

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

I personally use the change jar thing (well in my case, its a change beerstein), and when it gets full, I use the Coinstar at my bank to count it all up and then deposit it into my checking account.

However, what about those of you dont prefer cash? I confess that easily 80% of my transactions occur digitally, through the use of online payments, debit/card cards, etc. By and large I only carry cash on me because I do a lot of work in Chicago, and the majority of the little hole-in-the-wall restaurants (which are AMAZING) only take cash.

I have a savings account with a bank called ING Direct, its a bank that does the majority of its transactions online. When you open a savings account (which has REALLY good interest, btw), you have the option of nicknaming the account. You can also open sub-accounts, so you can have multiple savings accounts with different nicknames/purposes. You can also link the account to your existing bank accounts, makes transferring funds really easy.

I have an Acen-specific account that I have set up to draw 10% from every paycheck I put into my normal account, its helped me save a lot already and ive only had the account for a few months.
"Needs must when the Devil drives." -Shakespeare

EMRT Floor Medic 2011-Present Day

Medic 5

#30 User is offline   antisocialist 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18063

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:54 PM

If your bank will let you do it, I would suggest taking an account and setting it for ACEN ONLY. Do not put it into your savings, because if you dip into your savings, that will be Acen money that you are not only taking, but ultimately, savings is for SERIOUS LIFE-CHANGING CRAP. Put about $20-$50 in PER MONTH if you are able to. It is currently December - You'll have about $100-$250 by the time Acen rolls around. Or, if you're the sort to do your stuff by pay period, I would suggest setting aside about $20 or so PER CHECK. You'll easily be well over $500 by the time Acen comes.

When the time comes, you should also see if your bank will allow you to transfer funds from one account to another. Take the money that you have in your checking and put it in the Acen account and vice versa, or take out all of your money IN CASH from the Acen account.

I'm with Bank of America, and they have this Keep the Change Utility that works beautifully. See if you can speak to someone with BoA and see if the change that you have can be put into another account OTHER than your savings.

Also, consider holidays and birthday, raises, good grades, side hustles, and such. If you're like me, and getting serious paper around these times, I usually put about 60-75% of this money to the Acen account. By the time I get to Acen, I usually have about ~$500 AT THE READY.

Also, PLEASE, PLEASE, balance your checkbooks if you're not lucky enough to get the Acen-specific account. NSF/Overdraft fees are absolutely NO FUN. Use online banking as if your life depends on it.

This post has been edited by antisocialist: 04 December 2010 - 10:59 PM

anime central 2013
Gothic Aristocrat - 2 days.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users