Attendee F.A.Q. Facts, Answers, Questions, and everything in between

#1 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

Hello Forum Goers,

This is your friendly neighborhood Exhibit Space DH, Phillip. I have gotten a lot of emails over the years pertaining to exhibitors and related activities, so I decided that creating an FAQ would speed up the process of getting you an answer to your question, because if you have a question, chances are, someone else has the exact same question.

So Without further delay, below is the F.A.Q. which will be updated as more questions come in.

This FAQ may get a bit long, so if you know what you’re looking for hold the CTRL and F keys (or APPLE and F keys for our mac friends) to search the page quickly through your browser’s find feature.

Disclaimer: All of the below questions have actually been asked numerous times, so in an effort to get the correct information to you faster I have posted both the question and the answer in this topic. The list will continue to grow as the convention year progresses helping to further the process of answering questions ASAP.

1. Can any exhibitor sell food?
No. EVERY Exhibitor is prohibited from selling, or making otherwise available ANY food, drink, snack, edible, or ingestible items distributed for sale or free.

2. What happens if an exhibitor is selling food?
They are warned once, then if it happens again, they are removed from the event. So please don't encourage your favorite exhibitor to bring food to the event.

3. What do I do if I see bootleg Merchandise?
REPORT IT. Please notify the Exhibit Space Team ASAP!! We will handle the reported situations as they arrive.

4. What if I saw bootleg Merchandise being sold, and I tell the Exhibit Space team after the event is over?
Then we can't really follow-up with the claim without proof.

5. What should I do if I see someone stealing from an Exhibitor?
Well that is a tricky issue, but thank you for asking. Ideally no one would steal from any one, but unfortunately that is not the case.
If you see the incident taking place you are now a witness so you now can notify the necessary individuals who can help resolve the issue, which is IRT & Exhibit Space Team & Exhibitor.
Please do not attempt to restrain the individual in any way.

6. What if I see an attendee being sold live steel without either proper ID checks, or proper wrapping?
Ideally this will never happen, and everyone will follow all regulations, unfortunately mistakes can be made.
Notify the Exhibit Space Team & IRT immediately! This activity is illegal and/or against our rules and regulations.

7. What if I see Decals or Stickers being sold that are not properly marked and labeled with the appropriate copyright information?
Notify the Exhibit Space Team immediately!!

8. "Insert Name" Exhibitor is not at ACen. I would like to suggest they attend. What can I do?
Send us an email expressing that you would like to see them at ACen. We can then look at contacting them and seeing if they are interested in Vending at ACen.

9. "Insert Name" Exhibitor is no longer at ACen. I would like to see them back. What can I do?
Send us an email expressing your interest in their attendance at ACen. We can then make sure the request is recorded and proceed from there.

10. I have a complaint about "Insert Name" Exhibitor.
Ideally I hope no one has a complaint, but I know sometimes certain situations may arise. Send us an email or approach us explaining the situation and it will be recorded so we can proceed from there.

11. I wasn't able to purchase "insert name" item from "insert name" exhibitor. How can I go about contacting them?
If they have a public website, we will direct you towards that, if it is not available on the ACen website.
If they do not have a public website, we will forward your intent to them, where they can then decide if they can contact you.

12. I bought "insert name of item" and now I don't like it.
While I feel for what you are currently going through, we can not act as a third party negotiator to get your money back or exchange items.

13. I have more questions...
Please ask. We can add them to the FAQ as they are asked.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#2 User is offline   Kent 

• Berserker
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61118

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

So I suppose candy is considered food right?
It's pretty hard to find Hi-Chew and I love that stuff. Pocky you find almost everywhere now. I bought a bunch of it at AMKE for 2 for $3 which I thought it was a good deal.
Cosplay 2014 is a improved Cactuar and something 8-bit Final Fantasy(not cactuar)!
Anime Conventions 2014 AMKE, ACen, Anime Midwest and some random ones

#3 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostKent, on 17 April 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

It's pretty hard to find Hi-Chew and I love that stuff. Pocky you find almost everywhere now. I bought a bunch of it at AMKE for 2 for $3 which I thought it was a good deal.

Sadly yes :(

I love the stuff too, but not type of drink / food / candy is permitted to be sold at the event by anyone but the venue.

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#4 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

If you have the time to before or after ACen, hit up Mitsuwa. They have Hi-Chew and lots of yummy stuff there. :) It's not too far from ACen either.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#5 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

Try 7-11. There was a booth giving away Hi-Chew at C2E2 & they handed me a card saying it was at the 7-11 booth at con. (I kinda hope that's the case since I love it too & I don't get to Mitsuwa nearly as much as I'd like)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#6 User is offline   Brandonb 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63369

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

What if one gets hungry at the con but doesn't wanna have to walk all the way back to the entrance and go to some outside establishment to eat? J/w.. esp. if the panel or area they just got out of is really far from the entrance

So... there are (or there aren't) some official vendors that do offer limited food at the con, but I'm guessing it's panel 'operators', regular attendees and such that just can't sell or distribute it? We can still bring our OWN food as guests for personal consumption just in case, right? Regular attendees, I mean

Btw, just out of curiosity (not that I'd violate the rules), what is this "live steel" and why would it need a "proper ID check" and "proper wrapping"? Maybe I'm a bit ignorant since this is my first big con (2nd one ever), but it sounds very interesting.

This post has been edited by Brandonb: 31 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

#7 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostBrandonb, on 31 March 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

What if one gets hungry at the con but doesn't wanna have to walk all the way back to the entrance and go to some outside establishment to eat? J/w.. esp. if the panel or area they just got out of is really far from the entrance

So... there are (or there aren't) some official vendors that do offer limited food at the con, but I'm guessing it's panel 'operators', regular attendees and such that just can't sell or distribute it? We can still bring our OWN food as guests for personal consumption just in case, right? Regular attendees, I mean

Btw, just out of curiosity (not that I'd violate the rules), what is this "live steel" and why would it need a "proper ID check" and "proper wrapping"? Maybe I'm a bit ignorant since this is my first big con (2nd one ever), but it sounds very interesting.

Live Steel is things like swords and knives (but not just them) that aren't approriate for under agers to buy. Proper wrapping for security reasons so they know your not going to use it to attack someone. You aren't allowed to have real swords as props, so that way they can tell the difference when your walking through the venders hall.
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#8 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

"Proper wrapping" would actually be something like a box or plastic bag that is securely wrapped/bound around the weapon so it can't be drawn out. If you're carrying this, this means it should be on its way to your room, car, etc. Most of the cons I've been to have this rule.

As to food, yes, it's okay to bring your own food for yourself. (I have friends who bring a cooler full of sandwich stuff for this purpose.) You just can't distribute it to others.

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 31 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#9 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostBrandonb, on 31 March 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

There are no food vendors / exhibitors at Anime Central. All food and drink in the convention center is provided by the Convention Center Catering company (which if I may say, is looking to be better than previous years).
That being said, you can bring your own food to the event, for your own personal consumption, but the moment you offer it, sell it, give it, yada yada it to anyone else is the moment we have to turn into the bad guys. :( So, I know it sounds odd, but keep your food to yourself. Posted Image

View PostKungPowKirby, on 31 March 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Live Steel is things like swords and knives (but not just them) that aren't approriate for under agers to buy. Proper wrapping for security reasons so they know your not going to use it to attack someone. You aren't allowed to have real swords as props, so that way they can tell the difference when your walking through the venders hall.

View PostValkyrie, on 31 March 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

"Proper wrapping" would actually be something like a box or plastic bag that is securely wrapped/bound around the weapon so it can't be drawn out. If you're carrying this, this means it should be on its way to your room, car, etc. Most of the cons I've been to have this rule.

Kind of, KungPowKirby and Valkyrie. While most events have this rule, it is anchored in a different issue for us. Within the City Limits and being so close to Chicago (some of their laws apply as well) it is technically illegal for an establishment to sell live steel such as what is seen at our event. That being said, since ACen is NOT a public event, and each person is required to have a membership (what people call badges) to our event, it is considered a private event. So we are allowed to host Exhibitors who sell said products, but the products must be boxed and take directly to the individual's vehicle / hotel room upon purchase. This is to comply with the laws of the land, and to keep others safe. Last thing you would want is some little kid swinging a sword around in circles because he thought it was funny ;)

#10 User is offline   Brandonb 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63369

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:07 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 31 March 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Ah, I see... I kinda thought that's what it was, but I never expected there to be real swords sold at the con. Interesting...

Also, what's at this "Expoteria" I keep hearing about? Is it just basic quick & hot foods like burgers, fries, slices of pizza, soda, maybe a milkshake type or 2, etc.? I know that's not the healthiest food, but I do love my junk food and fast food and my digestive system's kinda screwed anyway. Unless I ditch junk food and/or processed crap altogether, which is highly unlikely, it'll be the way it is now for god knows how long. Might as well get used to it. About the only food it doesn't react so 'violently' toward is White Castle, ironically. Of course, some might argue that this is partly b/c I eat junk food so regularly, but hey, as they say, you only live once. :thumbup:/>/>/> As long as I can easily get some quick, filling food- whether bringing it with me to the con via a place like 7-11 or an in-con area like Expoteria- w/o possibly missing crap or leaving the building before all the interesting festivities are over, I'm good. With all the awesome-sounding panels and programming, I can't imagine there'll be much downtime til late in the evening but who knows!

^_^/>/>/> Though I did hear about at least one McDonald's nearby (and a Dunkin Donuts by the Chicago subway, if I recall)... haven't been there in at least a month or 2, much as I love their food. I just hate traffic so much more, and it's not on my main route to or from work, so there's less incentive to stop by. But that's neither here nor there.

So... is the CCCC's main thing at the con the Expoteria? And, yes, I've heard that it is 'expensive', but I'm gonna have so much money saved up anyway, and with my new job, it's less of a worry than ever.

This post has been edited by Brandonb: 07 April 2013 - 06:32 AM

#11 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

I have a question, and hopefully this is the right place to ask. Can you tell me if a contact lense vendor is coming this year? I know extremefx used to sell them but I dont see them on the exhibtor list this time... Any help would be awesome!
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#12 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostBrandonb, on 07 April 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

Ah, I see... I kinda thought that's what it was, but I never expected there to be real swords sold at the con. Interesting...

Also, what's at this "Expoteria" I keep hearing about? Is it just basic quick & hot foods like burgers, fries, slices of pizza, soda, maybe a milkshake type or 2, etc.? I know that's not the healthiest food, but I do love my junk food and fast food and my digestive system's kinda screwed anyway. Unless I ditch junk food and/or processed crap altogether, which is highly unlikely, it'll be the way it is now for god knows how long. Might as well get used to it. About the only food it doesn't react so 'violently' toward is White Castle, ironically. Of course, some might argue that this is partly b/c I eat junk food so regularly, but hey, as they say, you only live once. Posted Image/>/>/> As long as I can easily get some quick, filling food- whether bringing it with me to the con via a place like 7-11 or an in-con area like Expoteria- w/o possibly missing crap or leaving the building before all the interesting festivities are over, I'm good. With all the awesome-sounding panels and programming, I can't imagine there'll be much downtime til late in the evening but who knows!

Posted Image/>/>/> Though I did hear about at least one McDonald's nearby (and a Dunkin Donuts by the Chicago subway, if I recall)... haven't been there in at least a month or 2, much as I love their food. I just hate traffic so much more, and it's not on my main route to or from work, so there's less incentive to stop by. But that's neither here nor there.

So... is the CCCC's main thing at the con the Expoteria? And, yes, I've heard that it is 'expensive', but I'm gonna have so much money saved up anyway, and with my new job, it's less of a worry than ever.

The Expoteria is very cafeteria styled, so you're basically right. Burgers, pizza, sandwiches; Simple food that can be served quickly. It's relatively expensive for what it is but not that bad, especially for the convenience.

There is a McDonald's "nearby" if you define roughly a mile away as "nearby".

If you've got the money and don't want to leave I normally end up ordering pizza. There's several great places that deliver to the hotel.

This post has been edited by TheStrongJaeger: 18 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

All systems... GO!

#13 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 18 April 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

I have a question, and hopefully this is the right place to ask. Can you tell me if a contact lense vendor is coming this year? I know extremefx used to sell them but I dont see them on the exhibtor list this time... Any help would be awesome!

They will not be in attendance.

#14 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostBrandonb, on 07 April 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

As long as I can easily get some quick, filling food- whether bringing it with me to the con via a place like 7-11 or an in-con area like Expoteria- w/o possibly missing crap or leaving the building before all the interesting festivities are over, I'm good. With all the awesome-sounding panels and programming, I can't imagine there'll be much downtime til late in the evening but who knows!

Be sure to look at the ACen Survival Map at http://bit.ly/survivalmap. It shows that there are some bar/restaurants right nearby. However, you'll pay quite a bit at steakhouses and hotel centered ones. There are some less expensive options, but many of them are not within a reasonable walking distance. Chicago Fire Oven, located inside the Crowne Plaza, might be the closest. I like Maria's Mexican Restaurant, but it's a block or two further south, so I'm not sure whether it would be easier to walk or drive there.

Inside the Hyatt's first floor lobby, right near the large revolving door, there is a store which sells a decent variety of food, some of which is reasonably healthy. But it will cost more than almost any grocery store. Also, the hotel staff sell some decent sandwiches in the same Hyatt lobby in the afternoons and evenings, without too much markup.

It's almost always wise to bring your own food to a fan convention. Look for portable food that will last for days at room temperature, and which won't easily spill or break. And if you have a hotel reservation, then make sure to ask them if you can bring a small microwave or even a water heater. There are several useful forum threads about this topic.

#15 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

I just sent an email to the exhibit hall email. I need to lodge a complaint with an exhibitor. I look forward to the response.

#16 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 22 June 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

I just sent an email to the exhibit hall email. I need to lodge a complaint with an exhibitor. I look forward to the response.

I just finally received my merchandise- but still need to make an official complaint against Pawstar. I understand you guys are probably out because of after con maddness- but I just wanted to make sure this was seen.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users