Photographers at ACEN 2011 Possible meet-ups and chat about photography

#31 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29213

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:16 AM

View Posttfcreate, on 06 April 2011 - 11:25 PM, said:

So far it's just a gear thread. These things often don't progress much beyond this.

Mornings or after the sun goes down works best for me. In between that I'm too busy running around.

#32 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 115

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

View Postfotaku07, on 07 April 2011 - 07:16 AM, said:

Mornings or after the sun goes down works best for me. In between that I'm too busy running around.

Everybody seems to make their way back to the garden across the street from the Hayatt. There from about 10am to noon Friday should work. If nothing else, just stop by and see who's there. I use it as my base of operations anyway... except when it gets too crowded then I hang out at the fountains near the front of the convention center. I have a few shoots scheduled at night (looks like a lot of goers don't want to wait in lines to go the the raves/dances/soap bubble/concert(s). ) Beside, I do killer night photography.
Decide on your masters, people, for you cannot serve both. Either be an anime con or be a 3-day frat party. (I'm Done with ACen.)
Those who can't be bothered with the little things can't be trusted with the big ones.... ~Larry Bell-Founder of the Bell Aircraft Co.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others....~ Democritus
Posers worry about how they look when they take pictures, shooters worry about the how you look when they shoot.
ACen and cosplay photos
How I Spent ACen 04' Making these.....
(2012)
Next Photoshoot~ Anime Iowa

#33 User is offline   Goldeneyeuro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58858

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

View Postfotaku07, on 06 April 2011 - 07:16 PM, said:

Welcome to the conversation!

I'm assuming you have an external flash if you want to get a diffuser? If so I'd recommend the sto-fens. The Gary Fong Lightspheres are nice for diffusing light but in my opinion aren't the best unless you're in a room with white or neutral walls. If you're shooting that thing in a room with a red ceiling or walls nearby you'll get a red cast on your subject. If you're just using the flash built into the camera there's things like the Gary Fong Puffer (there's cheap knock-offs on ebay :) or a soft diffuser like this

Having shot Canon for the past ten years or so and recently making the switch to Nikon your rival statment made me laugh. XD Yeah I guess I feel like my own enemy in a way. However, how insane would it be if someone showed up at the convention with a Hasselblad H4D or a Phase One. Would they then be our mortal enemies?

Heh, just even getting me to USE the popup flash on a camera is a task in itself (*voice in head* Because then the people's faces look washed out!), so no external for me as of yet. I still need to go over my pictures from last week where whenever I used the flash, it was lowered in intensity. I'll see if I can make a cheap diffuser out of like paper or something, then reevaluate. Love hobbies where you can cheaply improvise... Next purchase will probably be a telephoto lens when I run into frustrations that the 105 limit on my current lens is "not enough" or "too slow".

Actually, no, IMO. IMO, if someone, anyone, has something other than just a kit-lens spec camera configuration (like if they have bought multiple lenses, flashes, etc), I see them as a fellow aspiring or professional photographer since you've actually spent the money for the extra hardware and the time to improve your skill, and you have a better idea of what you're doing. Like if I even see a Canon user shooting with a white "L" series lens or one of those cameras you mentioned, I give them respect and acknowledge them since those things you don't just purchase on a whim. It's through months/years of waiting, thinking, saving, going back-and-forth, improving on your skill, and being frustrated with your predecessor equipment that you get something like that. If I see someone with a tripod or struggling to carry around dozens of pounds of camera equipment, it's also an instance of giving respect and acknowledgement. But if it's someone shooting with a Rebel glued to the kit 18-55 lens, *quiet voice in head* "Hey, rival."

I'm good for most times to meet up and talk- Saturday is the day where I'm least available, but Friday morning should be good. As for location, it's my first ACEN- I'll let the longtime congoers decide.
Never be average... - myself.
When life has no purpose, you're dead already. - Kiba from Wolf's Rain

Planned ACen 2K15 Cosplays:
Lavi (2nd outfit, revamped and possibly possessed)- D. Gray Man, Rei Ryugazaki (nightclub outfit)- Free!, Munakata Reisi- K, Light Yagami- Death Note

My Flickr- click for my photos

#34 User is offline   Seph 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11372

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

View PostGoldeneyeuro, on 09 April 2011 - 09:03 AM, said:

Actually, no, IMO. IMO, if someone, anyone, has something other than just a kit-lens spec camera configuration (like if they have bought multiple lenses, flashes, etc), I see them as a fellow aspiring or professional photographer since you've actually spent the money for the extra hardware and the time to improve your skill, and you have a better idea of what you're doing. Like if I even see a Canon user shooting with a white "L" series lens or one of those cameras you mentioned, I give them respect and acknowledge them since those things you don't just purchase on a whim. It's through months/years of waiting, thinking, saving, going back-and-forth, improving on your skill, and being frustrated with your predecessor equipment that you get something like that. If I see someone with a tripod or struggling to carry around dozens of pounds of camera equipment, it's also an instance of giving respect and acknowledgement. But if it's someone shooting with a Rebel glued to the kit 18-55 lens, *quiet voice in head* "Hey, rival."

A few things on this post. give me a kit lens and a cheap camera, and Ill create magazine covers, and spreads....... ive done it...
An other thing you have to realize is that some people make more money then others.. so its easier to spend the extra money on "expensive" equipment. And you know what... a lot of people do not spend the extra money to improve there skill. They spend the extra money to have the gear do the work for them. YES, there are times where a fast lens, and or zoom lens would work better.. BUT.. "better" gear, is not going to automatically make you a "better" photographer, or have "better" images. Also, a lot of people like to have the expensive gear to wear around their neck as trophy's
Also, you can rent these "L" lens for under $100 for the weekend.
And those photographers carrying pounds, and pound of gear.. I know a lot of photographers who carry absolutely everything they possibly can.. and never even open up the camera bag/bags for what ever event.
Me, I travel light. Ive worked as a photographer long enough to plan ahead and know know what I will need when. but thats just me though. I know you will want everything "just in case" well... you can never plan for everything. you can have every camera, lens, and gear with you, and when you see that"omg, i have to photograph that" by the time you actually get so and so gear, lens, camera out.. the moment can be gone

I love my NikonD50 and 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 and I use it to cover a lot of events. I love the look on the faces of other photographers and so and so event when they see the gear I use. I even once had a photographer who was just there as a friend taking photographs tell me "they are actually paying you to take photographs with that camera?" Yet only to have my photos come out better then theirs....

Gear does not make you a better photographer. If you buy a faster car, doesnt mean that you are now automatically a faster driver. You think if you buy a better computer and word processing program that you will be able to write a better story than Steven King using a pencil and paper?

;)

#35 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

View PostSeph, on 10 April 2011 - 09:41 AM, said:

Gear does not make you a better photographer. If you buy a faster car, doesnt mean that you are now automatically a faster driver. You think if you buy a better computer and word processing program that you will be able to write a better story than Steven King using a pencil and paper?

;)

This reminds me of last year's Gulf Photo Plus Photographer Shootout between David Hobby, Zach Arais and JoeyL. Both were presented with models and had 20 minutes to create a photo with whatever gear they wanted. The first two used speedlights, monolights and big dslrs. When it was JoeyL's turn he whips out a polaroid snaps a picture and is done within a few minutes. lol

#36 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

View Postfotaku07, on 10 April 2011 - 09:20 PM, said:

This reminds me of last year's Gulf Photo Plus Photographer Shootout between David Hobby, Zach Arais and JoeyL. Both were presented with models and had 20 minutes to create a photo with whatever gear they wanted. The first two used speedlights, monolights and big dslrs. When it was JoeyL's turn he whips out a polaroid snaps a picture and is done within a few minutes. lol

I found a clipped video of that event here:
http://vimeo.com/10518603

That was pretty funny. Joey was obviously not serious about the competition though. :lol:

I'm kind of in the middle when it comes to equipment. With enough knowledge of photography, certain equipment can improve results. A 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 can do a job, but using a lens with such a large zoom range most likely means lower overall sharpness, higher distortion characteristics, and larger depth of field throughout the aperture range. I'd rather just have a nice wide aperture prime lens around 30mm for convention floor photos. :wub:

#37 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

View PostScott, on 11 April 2011 - 08:24 AM, said:

I found a clipped video of that event here:
http://vimeo.com/10518603

That was pretty funny. Joey was obviously not serious about the competition though. :lol:

I'm kind of in the middle when it comes to equipment. With enough knowledge of photography, certain equipment can improve results. A 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 can do a job, but using a lens with such a large zoom range most likely means lower overall sharpness, higher distortion characteristics, and larger depth of field throughout the aperture range. I'd rather just have a nice wide aperture prime lens around 30mm for convention floor photos. :wub:

I'm in the same line of thought as you when it comes to equipment. Also you select your tools for the job you need. One wouldn't shoot a billboard with a point&shoot. Ideally they'd use a Medium Format camera or a full-frame dslr and then use a program like genuine fractals.

I just got a 35mm f/1.8 just for convention photos. I'm quite excited about it. Is your 30mm a pancake lens?

#38 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

View Postfotaku07, on 07 April 2011 - 07:16 AM, said:

View Posttfcreate, on 07 April 2011 - 07:53 PM, said:

Everybody seems to make their way back to the garden across the street from the Hayatt. There from about 10am to noon Friday should work. If nothing else, just stop by and see who's there.

That sounds like a good idea. How about 11am at the garden?

View Postfotaku07, on 13 April 2011 - 06:36 PM, said:

I just got a 35mm f/1.8 just for convention photos. I'm quite excited about it. Is your 30mm a pancake lens?

Nice! Do you plan on using it most of the time? The 31mm f1.8 I have isn't a pancake lens, but I do have a 40mm f2.8 that's one of the thinnest 35mm lenses around.

#39 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

View PostScott, on 13 April 2011 - 09:27 PM, said:

Nice! Do you plan on using it most of the time? The 31mm f1.8 I have isn't a pancake lens, but I do have a 40mm f2.8 that's one of the thinnest 35mm lenses around.

11am in the garden works for me.

Yup, I plan on using the 35mm for most of the time. I've even done the math on what aperture I'd need to be at different distances to substantially blur all the distractions in the background. If I do any private photoshoots I might use the 18-105 kit lens so I can work in the 90mm+ range.

#40 User is offline   Goldeneyeuro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

View PostSeph, on 10 April 2011 - 09:41 AM, said:

A few things on this post. give me a kit lens and a cheap camera, and Ill create magazine covers, and spreads....... ive done it...
An other thing you have to realize is that some people make more money then others.. so its easier to spend the extra money on "expensive" equipment. And you know what... a lot of people do not spend the extra money to improve there skill. They spend the extra money to have the gear do the work for them. YES, there are times where a fast lens, and or zoom lens would work better.. BUT.. "better" gear, is not going to automatically make you a "better" photographer, or have "better" images. Also, a lot of people like to have the expensive gear to wear around their neck as trophy's
Also, you can rent these "L" lens for under $100 for the weekend.
And those photographers carrying pounds, and pound of gear.. I know a lot of photographers who carry absolutely everything they possibly can.. and never even open up the camera bag/bags for what ever event.
Me, I travel light. Ive worked as a photographer long enough to plan ahead and know know what I will need when. but thats just me though. I know you will want everything "just in case" well... you can never plan for everything. you can have every camera, lens, and gear with you, and when you see that"omg, i have to photograph that" by the time you actually get so and so gear, lens, camera out.. the moment can be gone

I love my NikonD50 and 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 and I use it to cover a lot of events. I love the look on the faces of other photographers and so and so event when they see the gear I use. I even once had a photographer who was just there as a friend taking photographs tell me "they are actually paying you to take photographs with that camera?" Yet only to have my photos come out better then theirs....

;)

I hope I didn’t come off as saying that those with lower-end equipment would automatically take worse pictures- it’s just that from what little I’ve seen, those who just stick with the 18-55 kit lens on an entry-level camera body are the ones who just leave everything in automatic and then shoot, so I question, “Okay… and getting a dSLR was because...” I’m one who thinks it’s a lot better if the limiting factor to better pictures is the equipment, or if you just buy ordinary equipment and then master it first before buying replacements.

No, I don’t think that better equipment automatically makes one a better photographer, it’s just that my thought is that most people would think about acquiring some level of skill or get frustrated with a cheaper piece of equipment before upgrading to something worth several hundred or thousand dollars. For those who think they’re better just because they have a high-end body or piece of glass, *shakes head*. As for how many people just walk around with a rented high-end lens, I’ll have to say I don’t know. As for how many people are walking around with equipment that is beyond their skill level, I’ll have to say I don’t know. But then again I’ve only had my camera for a few weeks and am trying to move away from program mode into shutter/aperture priority modes.

Just looked at my pictures from Anime Detour last week- average, but time for a new method of taking pictures at ACEN. Will be reading a few books and magazines, then dinking around with the camera and taking a class at National Camera. That meeting time on Friday morning works for me ^^

Lavi (2nd outfit, revamped and possibly possessed)- D. Gray Man, Rei Ryugazaki (nightclub outfit)- Free!, Munakata Reisi- K, Light Yagami- Death Note

#41 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

Okay guys, I edited the first post with our meeting time:
Day: Friday
Time: 11:00 AM
Place: The Garden Area
(in case of rain: Lower Dome)

Thanks to tfcreate for the good suggestion.

This post has been edited by Scott: 18 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

#42 User is offline   heekun 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59673

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

I'll try to make it to the meetup. Will there be a meetup sign or something to encourage any timid photogs to drop by and say hi?
Also - whats the activity like Friday morning early afternoon? Are there typically a lot of cosplayers, a few?
www.gosenchi.com per second
--
Photography services available for these 2014 conventions - Anime Central, Anime North and Anime Expo.

#43 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

View Postheekun, on 15 April 2011 - 04:52 PM, said:

I'll try to make it to the meetup. Will there be a meetup sign or something to encourage any timid photogs to drop by and say hi?
Also - whats the activity like Friday morning early afternoon? Are there typically a lot of cosplayers, a few?

I don't know if signs are allowed. I'm sure we can think of something though. I think some of our problem was that it's hard to recognize people from the forum even when they have pictures of themselves. Early on Friday is probably one of the slowest times form cosplayers, but considering ACEN is so bit, I'm sure there will be some.

#44 User is offline   Goldeneyeuro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

I'll be there in cosplay since I kinda misread a scheduled private photoshoot with a group of people, and it'll be Friday right next to the photography meetup instead of Saturday like I had previously thought. The exact time for the photoshoot is still undecided, so I'll be probably be able to stay only for a short period of time. Not sure how much I'll get in since when these talks start, time flies and everyone talks the ears off a rabbit... Maybe we'll recognize each other if we just stand in the vicinity at the specified meeting time/place and then ask anyone standing around with a high-end dSLR setup if they're from the forum for the meetup? *randomly throws out suggestions*

Another interesting development in my photography-related world: I asked my mother to take out her early 1980s Nikon, to which I found an old 35mm F2.8 prime lens along with an external flash. Going to National Camera or Ritz tomorrow to see if they'll work on my D3100. Just seeing my mom's vintage Nikon after so many years being stuck in a box elicited a reaction of, "My god, look how much smaller they were back then!"

#45 User is offline   heekun 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:03 AM

Goldeneyeeuro - Yeah I guess it shouldn't be too hard to recognize the photographers - specially those lugging gear around.

Nice find with the 35mm lens. If it's at least an AI lens, it should fit. But, I don't think it will meter on a d3100 though.
--
Photography services available for these 2014 conventions - Anime Central, Anime North and Anime Expo.

#46 User is offline   sftstray 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 57266

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

View PostGoldeneyeuro, on 14 April 2011 - 06:50 PM, said:

I hope I didn’t come off as saying that those with lower-end equipment would automatically take worse pictures- it’s just that from what little I’ve seen, those who just stick with the 18-55 kit lens on an entry-level camera body are the ones who just leave everything in automatic and then shoot, so I question, “Okay… and getting a dSLR was because...” I’m one who thinks it’s a lot better if the limiting factor to better pictures is the equipment, or if you just buy ordinary equipment and then master it first before buying replacements.No, I don’t think that better equipment automatically makes one a better photographer, it’s just that my thought is that most people would think about acquiring some level of skill or get frustrated with a cheaper piece of equipment before upgrading to something worth several hundred or thousand dollars. For those who think they’re better just because they have a high-end body or piece of glass, *shakes head*. As for how many people just walk around with a rented high-end lens, I’ll have to say I don’t know. As for how many people are walking around with equipment that is beyond their skill level, I’ll have to say I don’t know. But then again I’ve only had my camera for a few weeks and am trying to move away from program mode into shutter/aperture priority modes.Just looked at my pictures from Anime Detour last week- average, but time for a new method of taking pictures at ACEN. Will be reading a few books and magazines, then dinking around with the camera and taking a class at National Camera. That meeting time on Friday morning works for me ^^

hmm... all in all... I think the vision of the photographer will dictate the equipment... though you can do a lot even with a point and shoot camera, there will come a point that you will reach the limit of your equipment and would need to upgrade... it doesn't mean that expensive equipment automatically translate to better images but it does give you more options...

This post has been edited by sftstray: 20 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

#47 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

View Postsftstray, on 19 April 2011 - 10:40 PM, said:

hmm... all in all... I think the vision of the photographer will dictate the equipment... though you can do a lot even with a point and shoot camera, there will come a point that you will reach the limit of your equipment and would need to upgrade... it doesn't mean that expensive equipment automatically translate to better images but it does give you more options...

You've reminded me of a video I saw on youtube. They gave a pro photographer an iPhone 2G and challenged him to do a good photoshoot with it as the camera. The images turned out pretty good in my opinion.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NGsmVw4tCWY

Here's another where they challenge a photographer to use a cheap 5mp Yashica (digital holga) http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZUkKtkEZNjs

#48 User is offline   sftstray 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:08 PM

Digital rev tv... I actually follow this you tube channel, Kai is really funny...

#49 User is offline   heekun 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

Digital Rev - I watch it too, gotta love that dry british sense of humour.
--

#50 User is offline   Makoto Kino 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60034

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hello!
Is everyone just going around and doing freelance, how would I be able to contact someone to do a shoot for me?
I'm looking for a photographer to capture my boyfriend and I who are being Kisuke and Yoruichi.
I've heard of photographers going around doing shoots for people so i'm wondering how to set that up.
Thank you!
~Cosplaying as Sailor Moon on friday, Yoruichi on Saturday and Sunday~

Look out for me!

#51 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

View PostMakoto Kino, on 25 April 2011 - 08:04 PM, said:

Hello!
Is everyone just going around and doing freelance, how would I be able to contact someone to do a shoot for me?
I'm looking for a photographer to capture my boyfriend and I who are being Kisuke and Yoruichi.
I've heard of photographers going around doing shoots for people so i'm wondering how to set that up.
Thank you!

There's several of us I know that are offering photoshoots.

Levelsixtyseven is offering photoshoots and you can find the offer at this thread http://www.acen.org/...ot-sign-up-now/

I'm offering to do them as well. I've also seen Kayatokun offer someone a photoshoot.

Hope that helps :)

This post has been edited by fotaku07: 26 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

#52 User is offline   Makoto Kino 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60034

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:02 PM

Thank you very much!
Fortunately i've found someone who can assist me, I really appreciate everyone responding. Part of me wasn't even expecting a response...but as this is a very responsive and happy community I should have known better :D
~Cosplaying as Sailor Moon on friday, Yoruichi on Saturday and Sunday~

Look out for me!

#53 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

The weather forecast doesn't look too good. Friday only have a 20% chance, but if it is raining at 11am, feel free to meetup in the lower dome area.

Day: Friday
Time: 11:00 AM
Place: The Garden Area
(in case of rain: Lower Dome)

#54 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

To make the meetup even more tempting...

I work at a camera shop and the Nikon rep gave me a load of freebies to pass out at the meetup. Messenger bags, travel mugs, travel locks, magnifiers, etc. So I'll be bringing the box-o-goodies for ya'll.

(some items are limited so first come first serve. ;)

This post has been edited by fotaku07: 19 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

#55 User is offline   heekun 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:17 PM

Did the rep hand out any of those 24-70mm thermos mugs?
--

#56 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 49954

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

those are awesome.

#57 User is offline   StarRockerX 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 17705

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

LOL i won't even have my camera on Friday.
Unfortunately it has to stay behind till Saturday and Sunday.
A Different Kind of Rockstar
I am a youtuber, anime junkie, pokemon enthusiast, and a normaler :)
Twitter / / Youtube / / Instagram

#58 User is offline   sftstray 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

friday... sigh... why do i have to work that day?

#59 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

Nice, this should improve the attendance rate!

#60 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

The photographers meetup was a success! Thanks go to Fotaku.

The slow motion video guy Acksonl even unwittingly showed up to the meeting for a minute or two. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/user/acksonl

--------------------------------------------------

Finished processing my 2011 photos:
http://scottjwaldron.com/acen2011

I'd like to see everyone else's!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users