• This topic is locked

Volunteering for web support

#1 User is offline   Emrys 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9223

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

I'd like to volunteer for tech/web support. Is there someone on staff I should contact directly about this?

I can't stand to see the main site broken in practically every browser (someone forgot to do their cross-browser testing...), guess you could say I'm just itching to get that fixed. I really believe that a better (ie. properly working) website would make a huge difference for con goers. I know it makes a huge difference does for me.
ACen 2013 plans:
Terra w/ FFVI group
Malory Archer w/ Archer group

(maybe)
Mabel Pines w/ Gravity Falls group
Fionna and Cake (regular and ballgown) w/ Ice Queen

#2 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

If you're sincere in your offer to volunteer, you should send an e-mail to it-dh@acen.org, and cc it to webmaster@acen.org. I'm sure our webmistress will be happy to have the help, but the IT department head has to make sure there's a slot on IT for you. (He is, however, on vacation at the moment, so it may be a bit before he gets back to you.)

As a quick note, I don't have IE 6 (2% of our web traffic)*, IE 7 (3.8%), Opera 9 (1.1%), or Safari 4 (1.3%) at my disposal, but the site does not look broken in FF 3.6 (36.3%), Chrome 6 (12.2%), IE 8 (21.8%), Opera 10**, or Safari 5 (4.4%), at least to my eyes.

* Numbers are based on my quickly looking at our stats. Since it breaks the browser share down by version number but I am only tallying by major/minor version number (i.e., I give a stat for Chrome 6 that is really the sum of Chrome 6.0.472.59 and Chrome 6.0.472.62, etc.), there may be a small amount of loss. Any detected browser version that accounts for under 0.5% of traffic was not counted in the tally.

** We appear to get no traffic from Opera 10. I expect this is an issue in our browser UA string list and am looking into it. Apparently Opera 10 traffic shows up as Opera 9.8 because of its UA string.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#3 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

Thanks Rabbi for the reply.

That would be the best course of action. We're going to be going through our staffing needs for 2011 soonish, so he will take your interest in a position within the IT department and put it away for such a discussion.

Thanks for your interest. :)
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#4 User is offline   Emrys 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9223

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I was just digging through the forums again today and came across the IT staffing thread. Totally missed that when I was looking for info on IT volunteering earlier. *blush* Looks like you've already got a few people interested in backend IT positions, but maybe not for the front end? Guess all I can do now is wait to hear what your decision is. :)
ACen 2013 plans:
Terra w/ FFVI group
Malory Archer w/ Archer group

(maybe)
Mabel Pines w/ Gravity Falls group
Fionna and Cake (regular and ballgown) w/ Ice Queen

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users