• You cannot reply to this topic

The Missing Volume(s)! D:

#1 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 31104

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:18 PM

I've begun to notice a strange occurrence with some certain manga series. Seemingly random volumes of the series that are next to impossible to find (for a reasonable price at least).

Recently I began collecting the series Knights of the Zodiac, or Saint Seiya as it's pronounced in Japanese. Anyway, I found that i was unable to find volumes 3 and 10 of the series for a price under $30, which I unwilling to spend for one volume. I am very curious as to why these two volumes are so hard to find.

This isn't the only time this has happened either. My brother began collecting Akira and (prior to the recent re-printing of the series) was unable to find volume 3 for under $90. Also, I was collecting the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga and no matter where I looked I couldn't find volume 9 (this was prior to me using websites to buy manga however).

Does anyone know why seemingly random volumes of a series are just so hard to find?
Also, is there anyone else that has run into this problem with a series that they began collecting? Spread awareness! ^_^

This post has been edited by Foolish Humon: 18 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."
~*~ Behold my Manga, Cosplay, Artwork and Facebook ! ~*~
Look for me as time skip Sanji from One Piece at ACen 2012!

#2 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:56 PM

When I was buying Saikano, for some reason one of the volumes was really hard to find.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#3 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:46 PM

or Saint Seiya as it's pronounced in Japanese.

i laughed. so hard.

i think they were trying to appeal to appeal to fans of peleadoras del zodiac or whatever; that's what the series is called in mexico, where it's really popular. regardless, yeah, it was a pretty random and annoying name-change.

lots of companies print limited amounts of volumes. not to mention, certain series that aren't popular and don't get tons of printing have those random volumes that sell well, or got damaged in shipping, or some random reason why they're in short supply. i buy volumes of ah!my goddess, which are easy to find online, but in short supply in stores, and nodame cantabile, which seems to have been totally phased out of bookstores now to make room for more bleach and naruto volumes. so, i feel your pain.

i actually haven't seen any of the manga i buy in stores besides its original release dates. maybe viz dropped saint seiya or something? that could be why it's tough to find? maybe they just don't print tons of copies. it's weird that any of viz's main line would be THAT expensive or hard to find. rightstuf.com has like every volume BESIDES the one you want. there had to have been a printing shortage or something with that one specifically. try comic book stores. i usually get manga there that bookstores don't even carry, since they tend to stock ONLY the best-sellers.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 18 September 2010 - 11:48 PM

#4 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:01 AM

When I found out there was a manga to accompany Tenchi I had no trouble finding them through various sources, mostly ACen and the internet. Then I found out that there was a series before that. I found some sites that had the first editions of the first manga series and just today I got the last three I needed. And those were out years ago.

Spoiler

As for more recent mangas I didnt really pay much attention to them. Most book stores I browsed seemed to have at least one copy of each volume per series so I personally havent ran into this problem so far.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#5 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:02 AM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 18 September 2010 - 11:46 PM, said:

rightstuf.com has like every volume BESIDES the one you want. there had to have been a printing shortage or something with that one specifically.

I was able to find all the other volumes besides 3 and 10 for the regular price or better. It just boggles the mind how certain copies can be so hard to find.

Currently I am trying every to find them in any Borders or Barnes and Noble in an hour's drive radius, but don't expect to find it. Sadly the only comic store in my vicinity doesn't sell manga. Well, they had a few random volumes of Berserk last time I was there, and I guess it wouldn't hurt to check again and see if they decided to get some manga, haha.

I've been thinking of going to Chicago because I remember the selection of manga their Borders was amazing, Haha.
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."

#6 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:31 AM

Yes, this is absolutely annoying. I'd run into the same problem with Excel Saga and Midori Days. Volumes 7 and 2 respectively seemingly were limited edition, or so you'd think.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#7 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

My problem is that I collected manga that the company publishing them went under and another company never picked up the license to release them leaving me with incomplete series for the rest of eternity.

Curse you CPM Manga! CURSE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am having an impossible time finding volume 12 of Ai Yori Aoshi, the only book I am missing in that series and something big happens in it too!!!

The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#8 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 19 September 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

I am having an impossible time finding volume 12 of Ai Yori Aoshi, the only book I am missing in that series and something big happens in it too!!!

That's what I'm worried about too, is I don't really want to skip ahead just to realize I missed something big. Grr...

#9 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 19 September 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

My problem is that I collected manga that the company publishing them went under and another company never picked up the license to release them leaving me with incomplete series for the rest of eternity.

Curse you CPM Manga! CURSE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean!I had the same issue with CMX manga.They sent me two free manga randomly when they were starting their business and I really liked them and now I can't find them anywhere because they went out of business! >.<
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#10 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 18 September 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

I've begun to notice a strange occurrence with some certain manga series. Seemingly random volumes of the series that are next to impossible to find (for a reasonable price at least).

Recently I began collecting the series Knights of the Zodiac, or Saint Seiya as it's pronounced in Japanese. Anyway, I found that i was unable to find volumes 3 and 10 of the series for a price under $30, which I unwilling to spend for one volume. I am very curious as to why these two volumes are so hard to find.

This isn't the only time this has happened either. My brother began collecting Akira and (prior to the recent re-printing of the series) was unable to find volume 3 for under $90. Also, I was collecting the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga and no matter where I looked I couldn't find volume 9 (this was prior to me using websites to buy manga however).

Does anyone know why seemingly random volumes of a series are just so hard to find?
Also, is there anyone else that has run into this problem with a series that they began collecting? Spread awareness! ^_^

Part of the problem with Saint Seiya is that it's one of those series that's popular everywhere except in the US. As such, the Borders where I used to get all of my manga stopped carrying it after...I don't know...I think I have up to volume....18? 19? 20? Somewhere in the Hades arch....>.< I've been meaning to finish collecting the series, but i just haven't been able to find the rest...I may need to start looking for it on the internet.

Kudos for your choice of manga though. ;D
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#11 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 20 September 2010 - 04:52 PM, said:

I think I have up to volume....18? 19? 20?

Interesting side note I own volumes 1,2, and 19-28 haha.
Also, I have a question for you. Is there anything major that happens in volume 3/10 that is very important? Having finished volume 2, 3 seems like its really important... I hope not because even though I reeeeaaaaalllllyyyy don't want to I may be forced to skip those volumes. :(
Gah... I should I spend $30 on a single volume? >_<

Also, to anyone else reading this topic: Do you know of certain places (websites namely) that sells manga/books that might be a good shot at finding these lost volumes?

This post has been edited by Foolish Humon: 20 September 2010 - 11:03 PM

#12 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:29 AM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 20 September 2010 - 10:40 PM, said:

Also, I have a question for you. Is there anything major that happens in volume 3/10 that is very important? Having finished volume 2, 3 seems like its really important... I hope not because even though I reeeeaaaaalllllyyyy don't want to I may be forced to skip those volumes. :(

Also, to anyone else reading this topic: Do you know of certain places (websites namely) that sells manga/books that might be a good shot at finding these lost volumes?

I'd check Rightstuf.com, they are pretty good at finding things sometimes.

I'd also suggest Bigwords.com, which is an online used book store.

The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#13 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

^He already checked righstuf. Keiichi suggested it a few posts up.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#14 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

Amazon can have some rare stuff, but sometimes people ask for waayy too much but it's worth a check.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#15 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

View PostSka, on 21 September 2010 - 10:41 AM, said:

Amazon can have some rare stuff, but sometimes people ask for waayy too much but it's worth a check.

I agree. I was looking for the Digimon boxsets and they were asking at least $150 when on ebay I found them for $100.
ACen '14 Cosplay

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#16 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

View PostLina, on 21 September 2010 - 10:50 AM, said:

I agree. I was looking for the Digimon boxsets and they were asking at least $150 when on ebay I found them for $100.

Which reminds me that ebay is a good source too! I found the last few volumes of Kazaan that I needed on ebay for lower than the market price.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#17 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

Ugh. I hate Amazon sometimes. I've been dying to buy the Macross boxset, but not for 200+ dollars... >>;;

Are there any legal copies of Digimon boxsets? XD I know my sister has an illegal one but she is still waiting/wanting an official one ;w;

But omg, I know this pain. I waited too long to buy a couple of manga series and now some volumes are jacked up to 30-40 bucks! I'm not willing to pay 40 dollars for a manga volume. @A@
Possible 2015 Cosplays- TBA
Thursday-
Friday- Gon Freecs(HunterxHunter) - 0%
Saturday- Shimizu Kiyoko(Haikyuu!!) - 0%
Sunday-

#18 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

View PostCherry_Wolf, on 21 September 2010 - 12:34 PM, said:

Ugh. I hate Amazon sometimes. I've been dying to buy the Macross boxset, but not for 200+ dollars... >>;;

Are there any legal copies of Digimon boxsets? XD I know my sister has an illegal one but she is still waiting/wanting an official one ;w;

But omg, I know this pain. I waited too long to buy a couple of manga series and now some volumes are jacked up to 30-40 bucks! I'm not willing to pay 40 dollars for a manga volume. @A@

Yeah. There are legal copies. They are just really really expensive because they are out of print.
ACen '14 Cosplay

#19 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

Unfortunately, I don't remember off the top of my head and my entire manga collection is back home (I'm currently away at school, and home is a 4 hour train ride away). If you can wait a few weeks, though, I'm going home for the second weekend of October, and I can check for you then.

edit: I just checked on wikipedia, and I'd say that yes, the 3rd and 10th volumes are rather important. Then again, I'd never recommend to anyone to skip volumes of a manga.

This post has been edited by Kaay-chan: 21 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#20 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

One of my roommates buys *lots* of manga, and I can tell you from his experiences that sometimes certain series or even books just don't get shipped to a certain state. There's one series he has where like book 4 never showed up in Texas, but the others did. Or anything related to that. It kinda sucks :[
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#21 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

YES.

#22 User is offline   Saturn's Pheonix 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58548

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:29 PM

Took me forever to complete my 7 volume set of Bride of Deimos, that is practically impossible to do now a days. I had some copies of Sailor Moon fall apart and I can not even find those on ebay any more.

My current project is to locate the rest of a series called Miracle Girls that I started reading years ago and never got into in the beginning but decided to pick it up again. I can't find anything even on Ebay beyond book one.
ACEN 2010-Inuyasha- progress 100% time taken 3 years
ACEN 2011-Sailor Saturn- progress 95% time taken 3 years

#23 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:50 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 25 September 2010 - 06:25 PM, said:

YES.

Curse you!

I already did it... :(

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users