• This topic is locked

The End of One Manga Repent!

#1 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 31104

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:39 AM

At some point during this month all manga for One Manga will be taken down permanently. No more scanlations.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I think it's great because maybe now people will start buying manga again instead of reading it all on the internet and the people who make the manga series can get the money they deserve. But on the other hand I am very upset because there are several series that I read that have not and will not be brought over to the united states, some of which I really really enjoy.

So what do you guys think of the situation?
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."
~*~ Behold my Manga, Cosplay, Artwork and Facebook ! ~*~
Look for me as time skip Sanji from One Piece at ACen 2012!

#2 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:50 AM

wow. I'm sorta half with you , Foolish.
I think this is terrible. Sites like one manga have helped english speaking fans have access to unlicensed titles and keep up with the licensed ones. The sad part is that I really do not believe sites like these are draining manga companies of money, all of the fans I have met buy the series they love because online reading cannot compare to holding a real copy.
That farewell letter on the site really depressed me though...
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#3 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:00 AM

it does probably hurt the industry, especially with the economy being this crappy and downsizing and all that. still, i think someone will open up a site as good or almost as good eventually.

i know there are already a few sites up like it containing most of the manga i read on onemanga.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 22 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

#4 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 31104

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

I know that there will still be site where people can read at least some manga series still and even if every site was taken down I would still see people sitting on the floor of a Borders reading manga. Which I thought that we should do like the Japanese do and just plastic wrap all the manga and also if someone opens it institute a "you broke it, you bought it" sort of thing.

I admire Shonen Jump for trying to keep up with the current popular series like Naruto and One Piece, because a common excuse is "I want to be all caught up in the series and not have to wait for over a year to catch up with what they are reading right now in Japan." which is how I feel as well, I really like many series and want to be all caught up and free from any sort of spoiler.

But I kinda wonder how manga publishing companies feel about series that they wont licenses... it should be okay that we read them. I know that Dark Horse monitored One Manga before and made sure they pulled all the series that they had licensed, maybe they could just do that with all the other series instead of just taking it all down.
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."
~*~ Behold my Manga, Cosplay, Artwork and Facebook ! ~*~
Look for me as time skip Sanji from One Piece at ACen 2012!

#5 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:51 AM

but that sucked, because they stopped releasing volumes, but didn't allow onemanga to host the books, either. so there was no way for fans to enjoy it.

honestly, companies need to setup a simulcast-style system like funi is doing with anime.
the japanese shonen jump site is ALREADY doing that with several titles. there should be a legal place online to read manga online. they could translate series they don't plan on licensing in book form, the same as they do with the simulcastings.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 22 July 2010 - 02:52 AM

#6 User is offline   Floobersman 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 45609

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

See when I would read manga I would go to the store/library and read it there but the first volume is always the hardest to find so I would go onto One Manga and read the first volume. Now I can't do that. :(
My Anime/Manga List
http://myanimelist.n...ist/Floobersman
If you like Rocket Japanese the online Japanese course then join my Facebook group: http://www.facebook....90673989?v=wall

#7 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

Before this goes much farther I would like to make some points:
--OneManga was/is for profit and he was/is bringing in a very large chunk of change.
--The site was hated by scanlators who in general would prefer their work not be put on the site.
--E-reader stores have been lunched or are being lunched by virtually all of the major manga publishers. Most with the first few chapters free.
--Mangaka in Japan are paid garbage wages and a highly overworked. This is one of the main reasons getting them to come to cons is so hard
--The group that is organizing this is a made up of Japanese companies none of the US companies are directly involved. This group is going after all the aggregatiors sites not the individual scanlation groups.
--Most of the traffic was just going to read a handful of licensed traffic Bleach, Naruto, Fullmetal Alchmenst and the like.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#8 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

When one goes down, another comes back up. It's like this torrent war right now. Sites like ISOhunt and Mininova have been getting shut down. Now new tracker hosting sites have been popping up.

Also, I think jsieckar hit some very good points. American publishers (from my knowledge) never saw scanalators has a huge threat. It's the actual writers who are mostly affected by the scan sites. We always want to support them as much as we can.
~~

#9 User is offline   mattheinsane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 28503

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:16 AM

Onemanga allowed me to keep up with/finish a lot of series. There are some that I liked so much that I've bought the volumes to support the series (D. Gray-man). At the very least, it was great fun while it lasted.
Little Maid Corps

#10 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

I can deal with it, mostly because the actual scan groups have their own distribution; at times like this I wish companies would treat their manga-ka better.
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#11 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

I am actually happy and sad about it. I was able to read Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro that way and other series that were not released in the US so I will miss that, but there are other sites that I have found where the chapters are in zip files so you keep them on your computer.

I honestly think that most people just read series on there and don't actually buy the manga. If I really like a series I buy it, but you never know till you read it! At borders you get in the way when all you do is sit there and read the manga. This will hopefully increase the sales of manga, but then again, if people are that adamant about reading manga online, they will find other sources.

To solve this problem I think they should do what foolish said. They should plastic wrap all manga. Now to solve the problem of, "Well I don't even know if I would like this." The could supply a demo of each series with a few chapters in it, kind of like those demo Shounen Jump collections.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#12 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

I am mixed on this. I'm only upset that my main source of manga I can't buy here yet isn't available now.

And I agree with Ska. Hopefully this move will boost manga sales. I just wish the series I had been reading will get brought over here so I can help in boosting the manga sales as well. (Only one that I know of is available on pre-order at rightstuf \o/\o/\o/ )
Possible Cosplays-
Takanashi Rikka - Chuunibyou (95% done)
Onoda Sakamichi - Yowamushi Pedal(90%)
Tokino - Lamento: Beyond the Void(75% done)

#13 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

I don't personally care because I go to other sites to read manga online and I agree with Red, more will pop up.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#14 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

--Mangaka in Japan are paid garbage wages and a highly overworked. This is one of the main reasons getting them to come to cons is so hard

they make wayyyy more the animators. a mega-successful comic author can become a millionaire overnight in japan, guy. it's the same thing as being an author, except it's looked down upon the same way as it would be in the U.S.

i don't think they should shrinkwrap manga, because..i'd end up buying tons of crappy series until i find an actual decent one? without some sort of preview, i'd be totally dependent of word of mouth or whatever to hear about interesting series.

#15 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

View Postjsieczkar, on 22 July 2010 - 07:33 AM, said:

Before this goes much farther I would like to make some points:
--OneManga was/is for profit and he was/is bringing in a very large chunk of change.

It was? I wasn't paying anything to keep up with any of the mangas I read. :?
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#16 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 22 July 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

It was? I wasn't paying anything to keep up with any of the mangas I read. :?

He made a profit from all the ad revenue and traffic gained from the site, I believe.
He also tried to sell the site for an 8-figure number of some sort.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#17 User is offline   HikariS 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6839

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

I never really used OneManga when it came to reading my online scans. However, in general I don't like this new crack down. I like to know what I'm getting myself into before investing my money in a series. I also don't want to have to wait for American companies to catch up on an ongoing series or to see if they will even license a title I like.

If anything these sites led to me spending money on a series.
<3 So many cosplays so little time <3
ACen '14 Cosplays: AoT: Dead!Marco Bodt ~ Phoenix Wright: Athena Cykes ~ Free!: Rei Ryugazaki(Arabian Ending outfit)~ Amnesia: Heroine
Past Cosplay: Final Fantasy 13-2: Yeul ~ Alice Madness Returns: Alice "Late but Lucky" dress ~ Soul Calibur 4: Shura ~ Kuroshitsuji: Ciel Phantomhive ~ KH-BBS: Aqua ~ Phoenix Wright: Maya Fey ~ Kuroshitsuji: Ranmao ~ Durarara: Izaya Orihara Angel Sanctuary- Michael ~ FF8-Rinoa ~ FF7- Tifa ~ FFX-Summoner Yuna~ FF IX-Garnet ~ Gackt- Malice Mizer: Bel Air ~Soul Calibur III-Taki~ Malizer Mizer Gackt: Le-Ciel live

#18 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

It does really suck that they plan to take it down...but I find it interesting that the farewell letter doesn't pop up on their beta page....
I actually had to go to the original site to see what you guys were talking about. I'm not sure what - if - this means anything but I'm glad that the site is still up so that I can finish the series that I started because of One Manga.

It opened my eyes to a lot of new series that I really enjoyed. But all good things come to an end at some point
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#19 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

Their sister side 1000Manga is still up. It's pretty much the same exact site only the updates are a couple of days late.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#20 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

View PostPrayer Police, on 26 July 2010 - 10:36 AM, said:

Their sister side 1000Manga is still up. It's pretty much the same exact site only the updates are a couple of days late.

But will be going down real soon too. They announced that in the farewell letter. Almost every site that hosts scanlations will eventually be taken down.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#21 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

It sucks, I read lots of series that will never see state side and these sites were great to read them on.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users