Anime Central Forums: Height when cosplaying. - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Height when cosplaying. How important is it?

#31 User is offline   Naima Katara 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61448

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

This is a great topic. I have cosplayed Leichtenstein from Hetalia and I routinely get comments on how I am the tallest Leichtenstein someone's ever seen. I'm 5'10" and my mary janes have 3" heels. I also dealt with not being tall enough when preparing an X-Men Storm costume. I figure, as long as the group I'm cosplaying with is comfortable with me being tall or short, it doesn't matter. We love what we are doing.
ACen 2013 cosplays
Chidori: Persona 3
Zoe: Firefly
Lenalee: D Gray Man
Tsubaki: Soul Eater

#32 User is offline   Naima Katara 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostKitsu-chan, on 24 May 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

I honestly don't pay attention to height. I'm a nearly 6ft tall guy & I've cosplayed Chibi Moon, who probably isn't even 3ft tall.

That is awesome. I'm so glad to hear that! Being tall can seem like an issue but my friends and I are in agreement that we would rather see someone who is too short or too tall with a good costume and having fun than someone the exact height of the character who looks miserable.
ACen 2013 cosplays

#33 User is offline   Audri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 23980

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

Im 6'3" that really rules me out for many cosplays. One of my first cosplays was a 5ft gal and while I looked great when it came to the photoshoot I looked silly in comparison to the gals that were closer to the proper height. I don't think that I can only cosplay 6'3" but I do think I need to stay above a 5'9 minimum at the shortest for it to look right. This year I'm doing a cosplay of a character that is 6'7" so Ill get a chance to see what its like from the shorter side LOL.

This post has been edited by Audri: 06 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

2015: The search continues..
2014: Should have cosplayed
2013: Hayate Yagami - Magical Lyrical Nanoha Force
2012: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Ruko Yokune - Vippaloid
2011: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2010: Eva-Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2009: First ACen - No cosplay

#34 User is offline   basili1250 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 51718

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

View PostAudri, on 06 February 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Im 6'3"

<-- 6'4"

::sharpening noise::

...Hey.

Hahaha just kiddin'. Yeah, I tend to go for cosplays that suit my height and physique. For me, a perfectionist, it would be weird for the disproportion in body size to who im supposed to be
ACen 2009: Industrial Steam Punk
ACen 2010: Batou (first Ghost in the Shell film appearance)
ACen 2011: Human cosplay
ACen 2012: Father Cornello (FMA)
ACen 2013: Wreck-It-Ralph, Free (Soul Eater
ACen 2014: Iskander/Rider (Fate/Zero)

#35 User is offline   Nicholas/Chaos 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 27751

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Iam 6.3 i have been cosplaying since 05. I tend to stop caring about height since majority of all the characters are shorter than me and the fact i have been growing over the years. I normally just bend down at photoshoots or something. It just depends on how you feel about it. on the plus side being tall comes in handy for like pictures sometimes. I dont look like most of the characters anyway.
My Facebook - My Cosplay.com - My Youtube - My deviantART -
Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Cosplayer PlayStation Network: Cosplayer55

#36 User is offline   Naima Katara 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostAudri, on 06 February 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Im 6'3" that really rules me out for many cosplays. One of my first cosplays was a 5ft gal and while I looked great when it came to the photoshoot I looked silly in comparison to the gals that were closer to the proper height. I don't think that I can only cosplay 6'3" but I do think I need to stay above a 5'9 minimum at the shortest for it to look right. This year I'm doing a cosplay of a character that is 6'7" so Ill get a chance to see what its like from the shorter side LOL.

I think that the photoshoots can be the one deterrance for tall people. Being 6'3" is a bit tall for some characters when you're in a group of shorter people. When I cosplayed Leichtenstein in the Hetalia shoot at Youmacon I just stood behind someone and bent my knees so that I looked shorter than the (extremely short) Switzerland I was standing next to :P
ACen 2013 cosplays

#37 User is offline   Audri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 23980

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

View PostNaima Katara, on 16 February 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

I think that the photoshoots can be the one deterrance for tall people. Being 6'3" is a bit tall for some characters when you're in a group of shorter people. When I cosplayed Leichtenstein in the Hetalia shoot at Youmacon I just stood behind someone and bent my knees so that I looked shorter than the (extremely short) Switzerland I was standing next to :P

Actually one thing that is funny is I hope to find a 4ft Teto Kasane for a pic at the Vocaloid Photoshoot. There is a really funny youtube vid done on MMD that has Teto terrified when she meets Ruko. I just think it will make a hilarious pic and will be a great spin on my height issue.

http://youtu.be/-_iNa2fWlL0
just notice the pic Ruko looks at.. Its a running gag on MMD.

This post has been edited by Audri: 22 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

2015: The search continues..
2014: Should have cosplayed
2013: Hayate Yagami - Magical Lyrical Nanoha Force
2012: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Ruko Yokune - Vippaloid
2011: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2010: Eva-Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2009: First ACen - No cosplay

#38 User is offline   Oyuki 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58998

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

As a crossplayer, I wish I was taller. Just a measly 5'5" here.
But so is Megan Fox :3 heehee

I wore 2" heels as Sebastian @ Youmacon.
I don't think that's gonna fly as Sesshomaru...
2011: C.C.
2012: Moka Akashiya / (Bunny)Sebastian Michaelis
2013: ??? / White Rabbit Sebastian / Nurse Akali / Cosmo?

ermahgerd ferceberk

#39 User is offline   ShadowYin-Yang 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 45136

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

As a very short girl, I would be SEVERELY limited to what I cosplay if height was actually of any importance. It's important when it's a thing the characters are SUPPOSED to be known for, such as the characters from Lovely Complex/Love Com when their heights play a huge role in who they are as people. If that's a case, and I supposedly wanted to cosplay the very tall girl, I'd make shoe covers and put them on my high heeled boots. Other times I would make an effort with height would be a group cosplay. If I'm supposed to be taller, then I try to at least be around the same height with someone cosplaying a character that mine is supposed to be in similar height with. Otherwise, I don't try as hard to look taller.
ACen 2014:

Confirmed:
-Ash Ketchum (Sinnoh/DP) (Pokemon)
-Louise Belcher (Bob's Burgers)

Maybes:
N/A

#40 User is offline   Katie Sama 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 26237

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'm about your average lady height : 5'5". I've cosplayed as some tall characters: Sesshoumaru, Tsubaki and next year I will be Loki. I have never let the height of a character determine whether I should go as them or not. Personally, I could care less if I'm too short to cosplay as a character. If I wanna go as the character, I will. I had an incident ACen 2011, where a couple girls told me I was "too short" to be Tsubaki (I was dressed up as her). I was offended by this and discouraged to go this year (I did miss ACen 2012), but eventually I shrugged this off. Height does not matter, as long as the person is enjoying themselves and having fun...that's all that matters. If your the same height, great. If not, who cares. Cosplaying is purely for the fun of it.
"If you can dream it, you can do it!"

#41 User is offline   Katie Sama 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 26237

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

I also wanted to add that I've seen other cosplayers who were shorter then the actual character and personally, I didn't really care. I think as long as they have a decent costume and are enjoying themselves, then it doesn't matter. Another thing, I noticed some of you were talking about using high heels as a way to gain height. I think that is a great way to get height for a character. I would never use high heels, though, I am a tomboy. So, that would a little awkward to wear them xP

This post has been edited by Katie Sama: 23 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

"If you can dream it, you can do it!"

#42 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

As long as you scale things (up or down) to your size, you're fine. (And by things, I mean your costume and props you will be using.)

Gandalf was not really 2 feet taller than Frodo, nor was the Hulk really multiple feet taller than Thor in The Avengers (fun note, Mark Ruffalo -the Hulk- is actually ~4" shorter than Chris Hemsworth/Thor's ~6', but he managed all Hulk's motion capture action and Thor-fighting fine!). The "canon" height is irrelevant so long as the props and costume are on scale with your body proportions. Photographs can be staged, manipulated, Photoshopped, edited, et cetera, ad nauseum. So long as the things on YOU are right for your own height, no problem on the post-production creativity. The simplest, oldest trick is to simply stage the shorter character closer to the lens, the taller further back, and to find an angle for shooting that does this justice -- a little fiddly, but tried and true for generations.

I'm only ~4'10"/11", but I made a very awesome Link (Ocarina of Time) costume, and have scaled both the Mirror Shield and Master Sword to my height (with \math/). Put me next to a tree or in a field and you would never know I am not Link's canonical 6' tall. Put me next to another character, and in an action pose, and you also would never know my true height. Photographic magic, mates; photographic magic.

~ SCALING: PUTTING YOUR HIGH SCHOOL GEOMETRY AND MATH TO USE SINCE #FANDOM = GO. ~
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#43 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 14 July 2012 - 03:25 AM, said:

As long as you scale things (up or down) to your size, you're fine. (And by things, I mean your costume and props you will be using.)

Gandalf was not really 2 feet taller than Frodo, nor was the Hulk really multiple feet taller than Thor in The Avengers (fun note, Mark Ruffalo -the Hulk- is actually ~4" shorter than Chris Hemsworth/Thor's ~6', but he managed all Hulk's motion capture action and Thor-fighting fine!). The "canon" height is irrelevant so long as the props and costume are on scale with your body proportions. Photographs can be staged, manipulated, Photoshopped, edited, et cetera, ad nauseum. So long as the things on YOU are right for your own height, no problem on the post-production creativity. The simplest, oldest trick is to simply stage the shorter character closer to the lens, the taller further back, and to find an angle for shooting that does this justice -- a little fiddly, but tried and true for generations.

I'm only ~4'10"/11", but I made a very awesome Link (Ocarina of Time) costume, and have scaled both the Mirror Shield and Master Sword to my height (with \math/). Put me next to a tree or in a field and you would never know I am not Link's canonical 6' tall. Put me next to another character, and in an action pose, and you also would never know my true height. Photographic magic, mates; photographic magic.

~ SCALING: PUTTING YOUR HIGH SCHOOL GEOMETRY AND MATH TO USE SINCE #FANDOM = GO. ~

Wow that sounds awesome :>

Seriously who started the whole "you must be this height or race," with cosplaying? Elist 4chaners who couldn't come out and say it to people's faces?
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#44 User is offline   Noiz 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62511

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

I think height doesn't matter. My friend who is like taller then me is cosplaying as Ed Elric. (He's like 5,8 and I'm like 5,5). I had this one friend who thinks that cosplaying matters on height and how well we can be in character. She literally told me that I can't cosplay because I'm short. I admit I'm really short but that doesn't stop me from cosplaying.
┈━═☆ αcεи 2 0 1 5 ☆═━┈
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Yusei Fudo [Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds]
Haruka Nanase (Desert Version) [Free!]
Saruhiko Fushimi [K]

#45 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

I think height is as important as skin color. Really, it is something that you cannot(easily) change and to limit your cosplay choices because of that seems really wrong. I mean, yeah it's nice to see a tall character being cosplayed by a tall person because it's like "wow - this character really came to life!" but it's not necessary. Cosplaying is about fun and if you're not having fun then "you're doing it wrong"
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users