Anime Central Forums: Bleach Live Action - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bleach Live Action Hollywood does it again?

#1 User is offline   linwenolatari 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 58620

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:44 AM

So, I looked and didn't find a topic about this, so, Hollywood does it again, it acquired yet another license for an anime remake...elt's see if this goes anywhere, but I guess the most pressing question would be,
What do you all think of this?
We know that Hollywood tends to destroy licenses it gets its hands on, whether i'd be anime or otherwise, rarely has a license been given the respect it deserves, LOTR being one of the few that were actually superb movies...
Anyway...
people are scared that they'll cast non-asian actors to play the roles....
I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing if they do a good job w/ the casting, now before people get all crazy on me, let me explain why I say this...
Anime characters don't really have any particularly defining racial features besides their names, so I think that as long as they pick an actor who encompasses the spirit of the character and they keep the names as they are in the original, we can manage to see beyond racial diferences...
Another issue is the directors/producers, most of them know close to nothing about the license they are working w/, and some frankly see the license as nothing more than a money-making machine, take Michael Bay, he really doesn't like Transformers, but yet he's gone to make 2 movies about them and is currently working on a 3rd, that to me, is a huge disrespect to the fans, the original creators and art itself...
Now, Keanu Reeves is working on a live action Cowboy Bebop movie, but unlike Mr. Bay, Keanu has stated the he is a fan of the series, so we can at least expect the movie to be done w/ respect....
So yeah, sorry for ramblimg, but I want opinions on this?
Can Hollywood make a good live action, even w/o asian actors, but respecting the source material, or should they just focus on their own original mediocrity?

#2 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:47 AM

there was already a thread. i can't seem..to find..it..

ftr, you don't need 'asians' to make a good movie.
recap of my feelings: the source material for bleach is so crappy and cheesy, it'll be tough to make anything besides a cheesy, crappy movie out of it. even if they're extreme faithful to the source material, you basically just get Twilight: the bishie ghost samurai version.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 14 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

#3 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

Two threads, actually: here and here.

To sum up, Hollywood can make a good Bleach movie, but I'm about 99% certain they won't. I expect they'll just put together a piece of crap even more generic than the series itself in an attempt to make a quick buck off the fans.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#4 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

It was bound to happen. The people that make movies find something that a large group of people like in hopes that they will all see the movie because they are fans and do whatever the heck they want with it regardless if it is good or not. They just want to make the money off of us fans.

Case in point: I cringe about thinking of the Live Action Cowboy Bebop movie, but I will see it and probably at the midnight release too (and maybe cosplay as Faye =D) because I love the series that much. If it sucks, oh well. I kind of think of it as bringing more people to know things that you love. With avatar a lot of people that saw it never even heard of the animated series and after seeing the movie they checked it out (or stayed away from it completely :lol:)

And with the asian actors being in anime...we have already had this discussion plenty of times. What do anime characters usually look like? They certainly don't look asian to me or Americans. They look like fictional characters. So who cares what nationality they are in a movie. If they are good actors and play the part well then kudos.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#5 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

I am several kinds of unhappy to hear about this. Bawwwwwww.
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#6 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:44 PM

Such a shame that some very inconsiderate person reported this to Ustream, and they were forced to switch to Justin Tv.

#7 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

View PostJeff, on 14 July 2010 - 01:44 PM, said:

Such a shame that some very inconsiderate person reported this to Ustream, and they were forced to switch to Justin Tv.

..what?

#8 User is offline   linwenolatari 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 58620

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on 14 July 2010 - 11:19 AM, said:

It was bound to happen. The people that make movies find something that a large group of people like in hopes that they will all see the movie because they are fans and do whatever the heck they want with it regardless if it is good or not. They just want to make the money off of us fans.

Case in point: I cringe about thinking of the Live Action Cowboy Bebop movie, but I will see it and probably at the midnight release too (and maybe cosplay as Faye =D) because I love the series that much. If it sucks, oh well. I kind of think of it as bringing more people to know things that you love. With avatar a lot of people that saw it never even heard of the animated series and after seeing the movie they checked it out (or stayed away from it completely :lol:)

And with the asian actors being in anime...we have already had this discussion plenty of times. What do anime characters usually look like? They certainly don't look asian to me or Americans. They look like fictional characters. So who cares what nationality they are in a movie. If they are good actors and play the part well then kudos.

I agree w/ you on that....
Who cares what the actors look like, but there are people that do get bend out of shape thinking about the possibility of non asian actors playing asian fictional characters....
Either way, whether fans of Bleach or not, or fans of anime in general, can they really cast a good cast?
Look at the Dragonball movie, it alienated everyone, from fans to non fans, and I doubt it converted anyone...

#9 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

View Postlinwenolatari, on 15 July 2010 - 04:38 PM, said:

Either way, whether fans of Bleach or not, or fans of anime in general, can they really cast a good cast?

YES. If you have seen the Bleach musicals...omg. The cast was amazing! If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. The music was cheesy, but the cast was just amazing with the costumes and expressions. If they had all of those people for a movie (maybe a better Ichigo) then they could make a really good movie. Funny thing though...they were all asian! *gasp* But go figure. The production was in Japan.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#10 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

Anyone can play the people - as long as the cast sticks to the original idea - IE Ichigo CANNOT be a black person or a female. Sorry but that's just not the image that was put on the screen. My biggest problem with Hollywood making anime or anything popular into a movie is that they rush the crap out of stuff. Because they understand that the average audience now has a ridiculously short attention span, movies rarely go to a full two hours. So Hollywood producers and directors take this great story, chop out anything not deemed as 110% necessary and rush the story along. I promise, Bleach will fly through the set up and get straight to the fights. Will it be good? Maybe. It may have some loyalty to the script and some loyalty to the cast, design and style but in the end it will be rushed out and that will ruin all the hard work into crap.

Speaking from seeing the before and after of: Eragon, The Last Airbender, Recent Harry Potter flicks, and others that I can't think of
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#11 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

Ichigo CANNOT be a black person

LMAO.

the image put on the screen is of a 9-foot-tall japanese with spiky orange hair and a triangle nose. if the actor is white, it's already going to look vastly different from the art; if it's a short japanese boy without a triangle nose, the image is already going to be vastly different from the art.

ichigo's also about 15, if i remember correctly? now, they also have to find a japanese boy, who's very tall, and arounf fifteen, but also LOOKS like he's somewhere around 19-24. if it's accurate and looks natural, it's going to look totally out of place in reality, anyway. people don't dress and style themselves like visual k rockers without attracting attention, yet ichigo and his friends do it, and, in that world, it's not big deal at all.

there's really no way for it to be totally accurate to the design and still be believable to a movie audience. the original designs put forth don't mean much since it'd need to be changed to look like an ACTUAL normal high schooler, even if they do cast a japanese actor with the appropriate age range and looks.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 15 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

#12 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

I was going to post something along those lines, but I shied away from it. It's the same reason people got so angry when Jake Gyllenhaal played the prince in Prince of Persia. He's a fine actor and all, but exactly what part of him is Middle Eastern? It's one thing if there's some built-in play with the characters (Dragonball doesn't take place on "Earth" as we know it, the Saiyans are aliens anyway, etc), but you have a known, definitive background in the case of Ichigo. I would prefer the cast to at least match what is known, but Hollywood is going to make the choices based on what will put butts in the seats.

This post has been edited by wrexness: 16 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#13 User is offline   Miyu-chan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 23002

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hm, I think Hollywood could make thi movie well, but it all depends on how much time they're willing to spend on it. Knowing how past Anime/Cartoon live action movies have turned out, they'll probably kill the plotline and make what they "thinl the fans will enjoy" or something. I say that mostly because how Dragonball Evolution turned out. I'll probably go and see it when it comes out, but who knows if I'll enjoy it or not.

If I didn't want to become a voice actress, I'd become a movie director and make live action anime movies that are actually close to the series plot point with good actors. :D </endrant>
Cosplay plans for ACen 2014:

????????

#14 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 14 July 2010 - 07:45 PM, said:

..what?

This managed to get into the wrong thread. Nice.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users