Anime Central Forums: Can you like anime TOO much? - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can you like anime TOO much? I think so!

#1 User is offline   that-one-girl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58546

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

Now, liking anime/manga/video games is great. Cosplaying is awesome. But there comes a time when you can get TOO obsessed. This includes is being in 'love' with a character. Do you think that line exists? What's over the line? What's the weirdest over-obsessesed thing you've seen?

I previously said anime tattoos were over the line. Several people pointed out to me that they may not be. I actually. agree, I know it's no excuse, but I was raised to hate tattoos in general sooo...yeah.

This post has been edited by Xayk: 17 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

#2 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

No. If I want to ink my body with a character I am particularly fond of, that's my decision. If you don't like it, frak off. As long as no one else is hurt by my actions, it's really no one else's business.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#3 User is offline   that-one-girl 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

My apologies. I suppose I am bias because my parents have raised me to hate tattoos in general. I think I meant like crazy, all-over body art. But, that's just my opinion. As I said, I was raised to hate tattoos. Again, I'm sorry for offending you.

#4 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

^^; Ah, sorry, it does sound like I'm offended, doesn't it? That's just my srs face, no offense taken. But when it comes to individual rights, I'm very steadfast in my beliefs. If it doesn't affect anyone else, keep out.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#5 User is offline   that-one-girl 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

You're right. I feel the same way and yet I said that. Wow, I feel stupid *facepalm*

#6 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

Too much of anything is a bad thing. Find the right balance.
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#7 User is offline   that-one-girl 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

I couldn't agree more.

#8 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

Here is my weigh in on this subject.

Watching, cosplaying, doing artwork is my consideration of a hobby. I call it one along with the many other things I consider my hobby and interests. Making it your lifestyle, how you function from day to day, and basing your schedule for a more than a majority of your time is going to the "liking too much" catergory IMHO.

#9 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

View PostXayk, on 13 July 2010 - 12:24 PM, said:

So is being in 'love' with a character.

No one ever understands the bond me and Washu share! 8(

Spoiler

Can you like it too much? I don't know, can you afford a new series every once in a while, or do you frequently forget to make your house payment because you go after every new series?

Therein lies my answer.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#10 User is offline   mattheinsane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 28503

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

View PostSongstressLenne, on 13 July 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

Here is my weigh in on this subject.

Watching, cosplaying, doing artwork is my consideration of a hobby. I call it one along with the many other things I consider my hobby and interests. Making it your lifestyle, how you function from day to day, and basing your schedule for a more than a majority of your time is going to the "liking too much" catergory IMHO.

I couldn't think of anything personally to put here but I have to say I agree with this the most.
Little Maid Corps

#11 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

I think it can be too much of a bad thing, there needs to be a balance or else you'll end up living in a shack made of your dvds and merchandise from anime series.

Enjoy what you enjoy but make sure to have a life outside of it as well.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#12 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

Definitely. I've seen what I call "true otaku." These are the people who wander around the con, not only dressed as their favorite character, but talking like their favorite character. Which is fine unless you are talking to yourself as your favorite character. It also helps not to end every sentence with the word "desu," eh?

I like Evangelion, and while I do have Nurse Rei and French Maid Asuka on my computer stand, I do not think I am really Gendo Ikari (much less Shinji!). I also do not make sweet sweet love to either of them (or Misato, or Ritsuko, or Maya) at night with body pillows and bedsheets. And yes, I had a student in one of my anime classes that I'm pretty sure had that sort of relationship with Sailor Moon. I've also known people who have willingly gone without food at a con just to buy that one last DVD, or have been willing to risk their job to make it to ACen.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Obsession, you're my obsession"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#13 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

I've seen true otaku as well. I saw a girl in high school carry around all her anime plushies to class. She had like five of them, and just carried em' around like if they were her baby or something. She was even playing with them with some other otaku friend. I'm like "okay I own plushies, but I don't bring them TO SCHOOL and play with them!!" I actually QUIT the anime club because they were WAY TOO obsessed. They truly creeped me out because of the way they acted. There was a girl and a guy who said "nyah" after every sentence, and it really annoyed me. And then they accused me of not "being into anime enough." XD Yeah, okay.

Granted, I love anime, cosplay, manga, drawing manga, heck, I even have a huge Motoko Kusanagi wall scroll in my room because she's my favorite character. BUT I don't go putting all of it in my daily life. I think it's just silly if you over indulge into it, because then what fun is it anime just becomes a "routine?" I mean at first Iwas so obsessed with anime on the verge of otaku, and my parents put a stop to it and only let me watch anime on the weekends. At the moment, I cried and I cried and screamed "NOOOO!!!!!" but as I grew older and matured, the whole rule made me enjoy it way more than I did back then.

Quoting Eiffel 65.....
"Too much of Heaven will bring you underground."

And for anime, this rings true.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#14 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

I don't think tattoos cross the line. People get tattoos of superman/batman logos and tons of other things so something they love on their body isn't crossing the line. Then just about everyone with a tattoo would be 'crossing the line' with whatever they have. Songstresslenne summed it up nicely. When it is unhealthy and rules your life, that's when it crosses the line.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#15 User is offline   that-one-girl 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

I feel that way about all tattoos, but, again, I suppose that's just my upbringing. Looking back, I regret saying that.

#16 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on 14 July 2010 - 11:12 AM, said:

I don't think tattoos cross the line. People get tattoos of superman/batman logos and tons of other things so something they love on their body isn't crossing the line. Then just about everyone with a tattoo would be 'crossing the line' with whatever they have. Songstresslenne summed it up nicely. When it is unhealthy and rules your life, that's when it crosses the line.

I agree with you there, because some symbols and stuff from anime are really cool. I think like an Orgainzation XII symbol would be cool, but I can't get over my fear of the tattoo needle. xD!
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#17 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 15 July 2010 - 03:43 PM, said:

I agree with you there, because some symbols and stuff from anime are really cool. I think like an Orgainzation XII symbol would be cool, but I can't get over my fear of the tattoo needle. xD!

If you love it that much don't let the pain or needle bother you. My step dad is deathly afraid of needles and hates getting shots and he has 3 tattoos!!! I have one and it wasn't that bad. It felt more like getting stung by a bee after the first outline and then it was fairly numb when it was filled. But this is getting off topic ^.^; I don't think that it is going too far...More like showing off your love.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#18 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

My one friend has a Green Lantern tattoo and is working on getting the other lanterns in there eventually. The tattoo doesn't interfere with his life so I don't think that's the line.

The borderline is when it starts to effect your life in a negative way. IE: If you like anime a lot and you spend a lot of time drawing in the manga style, but it helps you advance your artistic abilities (better control over the pen and putting your mind on paper) and you enjoy it, then its fine. If you would rather stay at home and watch anime (you already own and have seen 20 times is even worse) instead of doing social things that you would have done before you were introduced to anime, it may be bad.

Each person has their own lines and that won't match. I have spent several hundreds of dollars on making dolls of my favorite characters, however, I have been introduced to new types of people (BJD ((ball jointed doll)) collectors) and have made many friends through it. I have also gained better grasp on photography, scene composition, and several other areas. This may be far beyond the line for some people, and other people will see this as being not that deep into pool. My personal borderline for this was I met someone who bought a doll of over 1k and had to sell it the next week for far less money because the "couldn't bond with it".
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#19 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

My boyfriend has almost everything Hellsing. There are a few things he's missing though. You name it, he's got it basically. lol He also has every version of Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Even the multiple different box sets. He also has an Alucard tattoo and the Hellsing Cross tattoo. He plans on getting Seras and the sigil in the moon that's apart of his Alucard tattoo in UV ink.

Does that mean he's obsessed? Naw. It's not like he's making it his life's mission to get everything Hellsing or get everything BGC or cover his body in a bunch of Hellsing characters. He enjoys these anime so he collects things that have to do with the show. Bills, family and friends come first though.

As for tattoos, I wouldn't mind getting a tattoo of some characters from some different anime. I plan on getting Gatomon and Kari from Digimon Adventure. I have loved them since I first saw them 11 years ago and I still do! My next tattoos plan to be the faces of the Keroro Platoon going down my right leg in order of appearance in the show: Keroro, Tamama, Giroro, Kururu, Dororo and their symbols in that order on the other side of my right leg.

I agree with Lenne basically. Don't make anime your life.

This post has been edited by Lina: 16 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#20 User is offline   S1NN3R 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 11618
  • Location:Barrington, IL - US / London, England - UK )( Sector 7C

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

As for the question the answer is simply yes.

As for the reason, when it effects an individual in a negitive way... That's where it gets complicated.

For example, I work with Funimation, ADV, and a few other organizations daily. I do promotional artwork, thus I get quite a bit of anime and their counterparts. In short, anime is my life... literally.

Yes, I have an anime style tat as well. But by no means is my lifestyle out of my hands.

As for the comment on BJDs, there are different reasons behind why there collected. Some collect to create. Some to re-create. Some to bond with the created.

In short, its best not to judge others. You'll end up hurting them and cast yourself aside from what's truly important... the essence of fandom.
"You'll never have any answers untill you ask the questions"
When people start asking, I'll answer.

Contact Me

Acens attended. 1998-2002, 04-06,08-Present

#21 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

View PostS1NN3R, on 16 July 2010 - 07:37 PM, said:

As for the comment on BJDs, there are different reasons behind why there collected. Some collect to create. Some to re-create. Some to bond with the created.

Oh, my problem wasn't bonding with them, it was spending that much cash on something that you don't think you'll have a bond with. ^^;;
That's why I don't buy pre-painted ones, I know that the ones I make I will like.

#22 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 13 July 2010 - 03:21 PM, said:

I also do not make sweet sweet love to either of them (or Misato, or Ritsuko, or Maya) at night with body pillows and bedsheets

Is it just as bad to own a body pillow for cuddling purposes? ^_^;

I agree with Suigetsu When someone's life starts to go down hill because of their hobby, it is time to calm it down.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#23 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 16 July 2010 - 10:54 PM, said:

Is it just as bad to own a body pillow for cuddling purposes? ^_^;

I own one, it just doesn't have an anime babe on it. I use it because for some reason I can't seem to sleep well unless I'm embracing a pillow of some sort.

#24 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 16 July 2010 - 10:59 PM, said:

I own one, it just doesn't have an anime babe on it. I use it because for some reason I can't seem to sleep well unless I'm embracing a pillow of some sort.

...mine does. >_>; Does that make me obsessive or creepy?
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#25 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 16 July 2010 - 11:01 PM, said:

...mine does. >_>; Does that make me obsessive or creepy?

No, you just seem to prefer the company of... overly detailed 2D wom...en...

#26 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 16 July 2010 - 11:07 PM, said:

No, you just seem to prefer the company of... overly detailed 2D wom...en...
BECAUSE REAL PEOPLE CAN HURT MUH FEELINGS!!!1!!
Seriously though....She is very very comfy ^_^;

oh, and I found perfect example of too much obsession . This would be crossing the line for me *except exchange japanese love dolls with anime characters or w/e * . Chances are you've seen this video before. WARNING: does contain japanese love dolls and glimpses of them making said doll. Nothing too bad, just warning ahead of time.
D8

This post has been edited by linlindesu: 16 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#27 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 16 July 2010 - 11:19 PM, said:

BECAUSE REAL PEOPLE CAN HURT MUH FEELINGS!!!1!!
Seriously though....She is very very comfy ^_^;

oh, and I found perfect example of too much obsession . This would be crossing the line for me *except exchange japanese love dolls with anime characters or w/e * . Chances are you've seen this video before. WARNING: does contain japanese love dolls and glimpses of them making said doll. Nothing too bad, just warning ahead of time.
D8

I love that video! It's always hilarious when the door opens and you just see all of them there.

#28 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:25 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on 16 July 2010 - 11:21 PM, said:

I love that video! It's always hilarious when the door opens and you just see all of them there.

I never really understood the attraction of them either. They always have the most awkward facial expressions.
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#29 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:26 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 16 July 2010 - 11:25 PM, said:

I never really understood the attraction of them either. They always have the most awkward facial expressions.

Every doll, regardless of make, model, or manufacturer has a soul eating gaze, as required by international laws. I'm surprised you guys don't pay more attention to fine print.

#30 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:39 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 16 July 2010 - 11:26 PM, said:

Every doll, regardless of make, model, or manufacturer has a soul eating gaze, as required by international laws. I'm surprised you guys don't pay more attention to fine print.

They kind of make you their slave...though you really don't/can't complain...

@Linlin- Right? It's like those exhibits in museums where they kind of look like human, but more so that they don't and its just looks off.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users