Anime Central Forums: Really rofl now this is a laugh in itself - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Really rofl now this is a laugh in itself He thinks he has control of the world apparently

#1 User is offline   Saturn's Pheonix 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58548

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

I saw this when checking email and could not stop laughing

Internet is over
ACEN 2010-Inuyasha- progress 100% time taken 3 years
ACEN 2011-Sailor Saturn- progress 95% time taken 3 years

#2 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

He is so right!

Purple Rainnnnnnnn

ar lath ma vhenan

#3 User is offline   Saturn's Pheonix 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

still when job applications are on the web as well as important sales for companies it seems that to me he can never get his way.

#4 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:25 AM

View PostSaturn, on 10 July 2010 - 08:41 PM, said:

still when job applications are on the web as well as important sales for companies it seems that to me he can never get his way.

I think you may be misinterpreting what Prince was saying--though admittedly, he wasn't being very clear or grammatically correct. (How can something be dead if it was never alive? The internet is alive?! We live in the Matrix?! If so, I demand my run-on-the-ceiling powers immediately!)

What the author in the Forbes article was saying was that, as far as Prince is personally concerned, the internet is dead when it comes to downloading. He's not going to allow it any longer when it comes to his own music. And I see his point: the man wants to be paid for what he does. And if the article is right (not having actually heard Prince's remarks directly), he's also right in that the internet has eroded human contact.

For instance, I've "known" GUTG for the past four years, but I never met the man until this year's ACen. In some ways that's a good thing, because I doubt I would've ever met hardly anyone at ACen except through the forums (since ACen is so damn huge), so the internet allows us to meet people we would've never met otherwise. On the other hand, the internet also keeps us from meeting anyone, which deprives humans of something they literally cannot exist without--direct social contact.

So I think Prince has a point. Not a very well-articulated one, but a point nonetheless.

Either that, or he really is trying to take over the world, which does make sense too. After all, we know Gendo Ikari wanted to bring about Third Impact using a Prince song...

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"That joke only makes sense if you've seen ReDeath"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#5 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:43 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on 11 July 2010 - 01:25 AM, said:

I think you may be misinterpreting what Prince was saying--though admittedly, he wasn't being very clear or grammatically correct. (How can something be dead if it was never alive? The internet is alive?! We live in the Matrix?! If so, I demand my run-on-the-ceiling powers immediately!)

What the author in the Forbes article was saying was that, as far as Prince is personally concerned, the internet is dead when it comes to downloading. He's not going to allow it any longer when it comes to his own music. And I see his point: the man wants to be paid for what he does. And if the article is right (not having actually heard Prince's remarks directly), he's also right in that the internet has eroded human contact.

For instance, I've "known" GUTG for the past four years, but I never met the man until this year's ACen. In some ways that's a good thing, because I doubt I would've ever met hardly anyone at ACen except through the forums (since ACen is so damn huge), so the internet allows us to meet people we would've never met otherwise. On the other hand, the internet also keeps us from meeting anyone, which deprives humans of something they literally cannot exist without--direct social contact.

So I think Prince has a point. Not a very well-articulated one, but a point nonetheless.

Either that, or he really is trying to take over the world, which does make sense too. After all, we know Gendo Ikari wanted to bring about Third Impact using a Prince song...

Ben Da Mad Irishman

I'm more prone to think that if the internet were "alive' it would be more like in Ghost in the Shell, but...w/e.

As for the internet preventing people from interacting, I don't necessarily think that's true. I can honestly say that without the internet, I never, ever would have met one of my best friends, who lives half way across the country from me. Sure, we can't, like...go hang out at the local arcade or whatever, but we do stay up until ridiculously late talking on MSN, and playing MMOs together. He went to AX this year (his first con. I'm so proud of him ;v;), and we ended up exchanging, like....40 text messages in two days, which for me is an insane amount. It's pretty much inevitable that we will someday meet at a convention (we're constantly arguing over whether it will be AX or ACen...), but none of that would ever have happened without the internet.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#6 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on 11 July 2010 - 01:25 AM, said:

Ben Da Mad Irishman

Yes and no. As for digital distribution, it's hard to say whether it's dead or not. Most people nowadays don't want to have to buy an entire CD just for one or two songs they like, nor do they want to carry an entire binder full of CDs to be able to listen to all of their music. The digital medium is critical going forward, but if Prince wants to take his ball an go home, he's more than welcome to do so; it is his music. Maybe an artist like Prince is legendary enough to be able to get away with it, but most artists can't. They have to go with what the fans want, and the fans want music on their iPods and iPhones.

As it relates to human contact, as you touched on, it goes both ways. Personally I don't feel the internet is all that different from the bar/club scene; it's just taking place in a new medium. Considering that a significant number of IRL relationships now start online, you can't really call the internet a place where it's filled with a bunch of anonymous nobodies; that's still a big part of it, but with the popularity of Facebook - a site that pushes for people to be more open about themselves to the internet world - that's starting to go away. I met my last girlfriend through Facebook, actually. The internet is becoming less an alternate world and more of an extension to the real world.

This post has been edited by wrexness: 11 July 2010 - 06:18 AM

2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#7 User is offline   Saturn's Pheonix 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

Think of things this way. Prince was notorious for attempting to start revolutions and this is just another of his schemes. However we all know especially as technology advances as it has, internet is a notch in the ladder that will likely not fall easily.

#8 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

View PostSaturn, on 11 July 2010 - 08:36 PM, said:

Think of things this way. Prince was notorious for attempting to start revolutions and this is just another of his schemes. However we all know especially as technology advances as it has, internet is a notch in the ladder that will likely not fall easily.

Again, I think you're misinterpreting the guy. (I'm not even a Prince fan, BTW.) He's not intending on some ridiculous, Luddite scheme of destroying the internet. That can't happen, short of a massive planet-wide power outage. He's just saying that he doesn't intend to put his music or allow his music on the internet to be downloaded.

Nor do I think he has a problem with people putting his music on their iPods, since most people burn CDs onto their computer and thence to iTunes. He's just tired of spending a lot of money and effort on songwriting and making, then having someone just arbitrarily download it off a torrent site--and he doesn't get squat. People can say "Oh well, he's got millions already," but I can tell you if I spent a lot of my time making something I'm proud of, and someone just takes it without so much as a by your leave, I'm going to be pissed.

Musicians are in this business to make money. I think there's a happy medium here (charge people a small amount to download a song, like a dollar or 50 cents) between letting it go for free and refusing to put anything on the internet or raising a stink like Metallica did...but nothing's free in life, and I think one of the failings of our generation is that we forget that.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Sooner or later, you pay"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users