• This topic is locked

The Last Airbender Yay or Nay?

#31 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

This reminds me of Dragonball Evolution.
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#32 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29213

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

I vote Boooo. Just got done watching it and I was sooo tempted to sneak into another movie afterwards just to get the bad acting out of my head before I sleep. The acting was pretty bad. I agree with Yumei that the target audience must be 2-12 year olds.

And what was up with that ending? *Sigh*

#33 User is offline   SupremeKai 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 58

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 02 July 2010 - 10:12 PM, said:

that's not really an excuse, is it? there is no requirement saying the movie has to cover x amount of material or retell the events of the first season. they could've cut corners intelligently, thrown out huge chunks of story and made it work, as long as the original spirit of the show remained, they could have done whatever they wanted with the plot of the movie and it would've turned out fine.

just because it's based on the cartoon doesn't mean it literally has to follow the plot of the show exactly.

Oh no i agree with you about that, some directors really do not know how to cut corners without messing with the story line. Its just my own two cents i guess everyone has their own ideas i still think they messed up the movie. But like everyone says its hard to make a cartoon to live action without screwing it up completely.
If you ever get lost in the forest, screw it build a house, now you have severely improved your predictimet

#34 User is offline   Yumei 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17438

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:54 PM

View PostMisakiMise, on 02 July 2010 - 09:44 PM, said:

I have not seen it yet.. but I saw that Behind the scenes thing with M. Night on Nickelodeon. When he said that
Spoiler
I was mad. It's a signifigant part of the series!
Spoiler

Speaking of Appa.. they made him uncute. Or ugly. Same with Momo. I'm hoping they didn't mess up all of the animals...

Spoiler

Spoiler

I still want to see it though.. I want to decide for myself if it sucks or not.

I also saw on some Last Airbender fansite that they have planned a book 2 movie.. I really want to know what they'll do with Toph.

I also died a little inside when I saw the Blue Spirit figure/mask thing at Target.

Yes, I am an Avatard.

edit:
http://avatarthelast...m/momooncamera/
http://avatarthelast...irbenderphotos/

I googled to remember how to spell Kyoshi and it came up with these...

Oh yeah agree with you.....I was disappointed as well with all those things!
Blue Spirit mask at target? really?....I need to check that out. My friend wants to cosplay it and has tried and FAILED to make the mask 3 times already. Maybe he can use it has a base to work off.
Oh TOPH!!! Can't wait to see how that goes!!
Acen10cosplays:(Trinity Blood)Esther Blanchett,(Bleach)Nel resleased form,(KH2)Card form Sora,(Code Geass)Li Xingke,(FMA)Edward decoy
Acen11 Cosplays:FMA:Brotherhood-LanFan,Gravitation-Shuichi,Fruits Basket-Shigure,Avatar-Toph All cosplays are complete!:)
Next con: ACEN

#35 User is offline   MisakiMise 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 32365

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

View PostYumei, on 03 July 2010 - 08:54 PM, said:

Oh yeah agree with you.....I was disappointed as well with all those things!
Blue Spirit mask at target? really?....I need to check that out. My friend wants to cosplay it and has tried and FAILED to make the mask 3 times already. Maybe he can use it has a base to work off.
Oh TOPH!!! Can't wait to see how that goes!!

The mask was sort of like this. I guess. It game with the two broadswords.
They also have an Appa there.. is it just me or does his face seem more flat than it was in the 2D cartoon?
And Aang's staff.. the one from the movie.
Even though that M. Night [spoiler]got rid of the Kyoshi warriors[/url] they still have a toy realated to it at McDonalds. The fan, but it's green and has a moving picture thinger of Katara (RL movie) on it.

And good luck to your friend with that Mask. Is he doing the cartoon version? It seems that it could be a little difficult.

I almost saw it today.. because I didn't want to see Eclipse with my sister and her friend. I couldn't because the next time wasn't until like an hour later. I ended up seeing Toy Story 3 again, which isn't a bad thing.
ACen 2014 ideas
?????

deviantART|Flickr

#36 User is offline   Yumei 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

I didn`t think to ask him which version of the blue spirt he was doing just figured it was the cartoon version since when he started work on it the movie hadn't come out yet. I think thats why he was trying to make it so he could wear/carry it with him when we to see the movie. We might still be able to work with that mask even if its the movie version. If anything he can always just be different and do the movie version. Still have at least 4 months to figure it out.
oh yeah appa face definatly looks flat or weird in the movie. I told my sister he looked scary....which was sad cause I always thought appa was soooo cute! Think I saw an appa plushie at Acen in the dealers room. I wish I would have bought it but didn`t know an Avatar movie was coming at the time cause now a cartoon version appa plushie might be hard to find. Now that the movie is out all you might find are movie appa stuff.
Avatar toys at Mcdonlds?!....guess I'm heading there for lunch tomarrow...lol
Acen10cosplays:(Trinity Blood)Esther Blanchett,(Bleach)Nel resleased form,(KH2)Card form Sora,(Code Geass)Li Xingke,(FMA)Edward decoy
Acen11 Cosplays:FMA:Brotherhood-LanFan,Gravitation-Shuichi,Fruits Basket-Shigure,Avatar-Toph All cosplays are complete!:)

#37 User is offline   Aizen_sama 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 57905

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

After seeing this with 3 other people, 2 of which has seen the anime as well, we had to declare worst movie of the summer as we were walking out.

There is a serious lack in story and especially character development, i mean come on they arrive at the northern water village and it goes into narrating the deep relationship that is formed between Princess Yue and Sokka, for about 5 seconds. Then continues like you know whats going on.
Always up for conversation about anime's, so send me a Pm anytime, or a message on Facebook.
X-Box Gamertag- Killerray287

2010 Cosplay- TYL Yamamoto Takeshi (KHR) 100%
2011 Cosplay- Itachi Uchiha 100%
2012 Cosplay- Up in the Air

#38 User is offline   Matt PNiewski 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 28392

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

View PostMisakiMise, on 02 July 2010 - 09:44 PM, said:

I have not seen it yet.. but I saw that Behind the scenes thing with M. Night on Nickelodeon. When he said that
Spoiler
I was mad. It's a signifigant part of the series!
Spoiler

Speaking of Appa.. they made him uncute. Or ugly. Same with Momo. I'm hoping they didn't mess up all of the animals...

Spoiler

Spoiler

I still want to see it though.. I want to decide for myself if it sucks or not.

I also saw on some Last Airbender fansite that they have planned a book 2 movie.. I really want to know what they'll do with Toph.

I also died a little inside when I saw the Blue Spirit figure/mask thing at Target.

Yes, I am an Avatard.

edit:
http://avatarthelast...m/momooncamera/
http://avatarthelast...irbenderphotos/

I googled to remember how to spell Kyoshi and it came up with these...

That sounds a lot like "OMG ITS NOT LIKE THE CARTOON!"

Which is stupid. This is the movie, not the cartoon. Not everything will be in there. I mean, what the crap? Changes will and have to be made.

I have yet to see it, but I care little about the ethnicities. When I saw the cartoon, I saw CARTOON CHARACTERS. With only vague connections to actual races. M. Night Shylaman has proven his ability to discover Wonderful Child Actors time and time again. He's a fantastic director who unfortunately makes terrible movies because he is delusional and thinks he knows how to write. And, from what I heard, this is true for Avatar as well. Despite wonderful action sequences and some decent performances, the still dialog and the complete disregard for smart exposition make the movie laughably bad.

Laughably bad, of course, is what seperates movies as Hilarious as DragonBall Evolution from terrible, unforgivable films like "Transformers 2".
Jimmy Olsen to the Real Life Superheroes.

#39 User is offline   Yumei 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

View PostFrom 05 July 2010 - 06:52 AM:

That sounds a lot like "OMG ITS NOT LIKE THE CARTOON!"
Which is stupid. This is the movie, not the cartoon. Not everything will be in there. I mean, what the crap? Changes will and have to be made.

Gee kinda harsh!
Yeah it won't be the same as the cartoon thats expected! Everyone should know that. Just like movies don't follow the whole stories from books!

Spoiler

So that could make them kinda important....but if there gonna go a different way which I can see them doing so then yeah they don't really need them. Which is ashame cause I really wanted to see them cause there my fav!
butt kicking girls without ruining there makeup=awesome!...lol

View PostAizen_sama, on 04 July 2010 - 11:51 PM, said:

There is a serious lack in story and especially character development, i mean come on they arrive at the northern water village and it goes into narrating the deep relationship that is formed between Princess Yue and Sokka, for about 5 seconds. Then continues like you know whats going on.

LOL...yeah my friends were like "Wait those two were together?"
Yeah they probably could have add another scene or more to that scene to get that point across or could have left that part out all together.
At first I thought Katara narrating kinda sucked but then I relized she DOES narrate in the series a bit so i guess it fits.

This post has been edited by Yumei: 05 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

#40 User is offline   Mock-Kappa 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3036
  • Location:A branch of the Miskatonic University in Sugar Grove, IL.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

I liked it for what it is. A Summer time Children's Popcorn movie that isn't dumbed down to the level that you feel like you have to be drooling on yourself to enjoy it. It makes me want to go back and re-watch the first season. Hopefully it does well enough for them do adapations of the other book/seasons.
I don't walk to the beat of a different drummer, I have a whole band including bagpipes.
Undisputed King of the ACen Kaiju Fans. Eater of Spam.
General of the Men's Pocky Garrison
"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'. " -Dave Barry-
Santa is watching you.
Con outlook for 2014: Karoshi-con 2014, C2E2, ACen 2014, Anime Midwest 2014 (staff), G-Fest XXI, and Con Alt Delete?(staff)
ACen Cosplay outlook 14: Gummy The Alligator (MLP), End of Days Santa,Professor Birch (Pokemon), Woodney ( Black Cat).

#41 User is offline   Floobersman 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 45609

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

I went to see it today and wished I went to Toy Story 3 cause I heard that was great. I thought the movie was rushed and I noticed they pronounced Aangs name wrong which annoyed me through out the whole movie. I can't believe that Shyamalan thought someone would like this and want a sequel!!!

View PostStarRockerX, on 01 July 2010 - 07:07 PM, said:

I mean can i just bring back one horrible but good example of this.

DRAGON BALL EVOLUTION!!

Yeh but with The Last Airbender they at least stuck with the story, Evolution wasn't even Dragonball, just seemed like a different movie with Dragonball references.
My Anime/Manga List
http://myanimelist.n...ist/Floobersman
If you like Rocket Japanese the online Japanese course then join my Facebook group: http://www.facebook....90673989?v=wall

#42 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

heh, go figure, the people who don't really know what this movie is supposed to entail or what it's about give it a high rating.

Lame. And it was second in box office this weekend.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#43 User is offline   mattheinsane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 28503

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

At first I was like <_< , but when it was over I was like :thumbdown:
Little Maid Corps

#44 User is offline   Aizen_sama 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 57905

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

View Postmattheinsane, on 06 July 2010 - 02:37 PM, said:

At first I was like <_< , but when it was over I was like :thumbdown:

Definitely, i didn't go in expecting a great movie, but something better than that.
Always up for conversation about anime's, so send me a Pm anytime, or a message on Facebook.
X-Box Gamertag- Killerray287

2010 Cosplay- TYL Yamamoto Takeshi (KHR) 100%
2011 Cosplay- Itachi Uchiha 100%
2012 Cosplay- Up in the Air

#45 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

I don't get why a lot of people went to this movie thinking/knowing it was going to suck. Why go to a movie if you know you aren't going to like it? It's just a waste of money if you go in expecting a movie to suck and then it's even worse in the end because it sucked a lot more than you originally thought.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#46 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

y'know what? dragon ball: evolution was way, waaaay better than street fighter: the legend of chun li. seriously.

#47 User is offline   Floobersman 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 45609

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

View PostLina, on 06 July 2010 - 04:06 PM, said:

I don't get why a lot of people went to this movie thinking/knowing it was going to suck. Why go to a movie if you know you aren't going to like it? It's just a waste of money if you go in expecting a movie to suck and then it's even worse in the end because it sucked a lot more than you originally thought.

Well for me I go and see them because I'm a fan of the original series and I want to see for myself how bad it is and what they did wrong. Now I was going to wait till it was on HBO but I was bored and wanted to see a movie and made a bad choice cause I should have picked Toy Story 3 eerrrggggg...
My Anime/Manga List
http://myanimelist.n...ist/Floobersman
If you like Rocket Japanese the online Japanese course then join my Facebook group: http://www.facebook....90673989?v=wall

#48 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

Why waste your money? Couldn't you wait for it to be on DVD or for it to be on TV? Why go see a movie to see how bad it is and/or what was possibly done wrong? I'm sorry, but that is probably the most stupid reason I have ever heard to go to movie. I don't see the logic. :\

I may not have had high hopes for Alice in Wonderland, but I didn't go see it to nit pick at everything that was wrong or to see how bad it was. I went to see it because I enjoy the books and it's one of my crazy obsessions. And just maybe it could have been better than I was expecting it to be, which turned out to be the case, but it was still mediocre to me. I wouldn't watch a movie to see how bad it is, unless it was on TV and I was with my friends.

This post has been edited by Lina: 06 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

ACen '14 Cosplay

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#49 User is offline   Haggisstew 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 36322
  • Location:If the torso next to my name is in color, I'm at a computer.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

Three things, first: People keep trying to give mnigh the benefit of the doubt about fitting 20 episodes in 2 hours, but the real writers put all 3 seasons in less then 30 minutes. Second: The Blue Spirit wasn't really needed. Don't get me wrong "The Blue Spirit," was one of my favorite episodes from S1, but the only reason for it was to highten the tension between Zuko and Zhao. And third: The Mechanist and his family may not have been very important in S1 but their role in it becomes crucial by S3.
Planed cosplays for ACen are 1= Simon Petrikov (Adventure Time), 2= Johnny (FFVII), MCPO Karen Joshua (08th MS Team), Soun Tendo (Ranma 1/2)

#50 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

yeesh, I'm amazed to see such a beatdown from all sides; critics hate it (not the show though) and fans hate it. When it gets to the point where people are claiming it could finally end M Night's career and that it's even worse than ECLIPSE, that's really, really bad.
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#51 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

Does this help sum up everyone's feelings about it?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfDk3I6di5E[/media]
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#52 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

View PostAshori, on 10 July 2010 - 12:41 PM, said:

Does this help sum up everyone's feelings about it?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfDk3I6di5E[/media]

That is hilariously ironic. XDDD
ACen '14 Cosplay

#53 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

View PostLina, on 06 July 2010 - 04:06 PM, said:

If it is something you really love you should at least support it. Most people thought Ghost Rider was gonna suck (I liked it though). But at least they supported it. Because if everyone stops supporting it then they might just stop making movies of those things all together.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#54 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:43 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 10 July 2010 - 12:52 PM, said:

If it is something you really love you should at least support it. Most people thought Ghost Rider was gonna suck (I liked it though). But at least they supported it. Because if everyone stops supporting it then they might just stop making movies of those things all together.

Or at least give it a chance. Then if it sucks, take it apart.

I personally had misgivings about the A-Team movie, but while there were some parts I thought were dumb, I had a good time watching it. Hey, it's the A-Team; it's supposed to be kinda over the top.

Not having seen any of the Last Airbender cartoons/anime/whatever, I wasn't planning on seeing it anyway. However, one of my friends who did said that M. Night Shalamanadingdong tried to cover up godawful acting with special effects, and that rarely works. You can have the best story in the world, but if your actors can't act or they don't put 100% into that acting, you might as well saved the millions of bucks you just blew on SFX and given it to charity or something.

Unless your target audience just loves seeing crap blow up and gratutitous sex and violence (Exhibit A: Commando). Then it's okay, but that sort of movie works only if a) your target audience is guys 15-40 or b ) it's the 1980s.

The other problem that M. Night should've realized is that, when making a movie that has legions of fans, you'd better stay damn close to the storyline. If you can't make a movie without scrapping large parts of the story, don't make it. I want to see a live-action Evangelion movie, but not if they have to eliminate half of everything that makes Eva good. If that's the case, then don't bother. LOTR is a good example of a series of movies that did justice to the original story, because it held fast to the original story.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Even the part where Frodo is a whiny little bastard"

This post has been edited by sentinel28a: 11 July 2010 - 01:44 AM

See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#55 User is offline   mendokuse 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 3415

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

Saw it with a friend who didn't watch the series. He thought it felt rushed, but overall pretty good for trying to cram a seasons worth of episodes into one movie. I don't think he'll watch the sequals though. I had very much the opposite reaction.

While the movie was a build up of a new story he had never seen, it was a tear down for me. Knowing the intricacies of the story and the interesting characters that populate this world, the dry dialog and shredded plot only served to annoy and bore me. I got a better sense of how 'bending' (or kung fu for us non-bending types) permeates everyday life in the new Karate Kid remake with Will Smith's clone son.

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Well, M. Night was given gold and he turned it into lead... and that's only useful to the watcher when this movie turned into a tactical nuke to the face.

#56 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

As someone who hasn't seen the movie or watched the whole series yet, the biggest thing I hear is that the movie felt super crammed and rushed. If that is the biggest problem why didn't they spread this out to make more movies? I mean heck if they are making two movies out of the last book for Twilight they could have made at least 4 movies for Air Bender and M. night could have rode the gravy train.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#57 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:40 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 11 July 2010 - 05:22 PM, said:

As someone who hasn't seen the movie or watched the whole series yet, the biggest thing I hear is that the movie felt super crammed and rushed. If that is the biggest problem why didn't they spread this out to make more movies? I mean heck if they are making two movies out of the last book for Twilight they could have made at least 4 movies for Air Bender and M. night could have rode the gravy train.

They weren't sure it was going to succeed. Airbender caters to a niche audience (as far as Hollywood is concerned), and no studio is going to risk literally billions of dollars on a project that might tank. Twilight and LOTR are safe bets because a HUGE market exists for those movies. I've never read LOTR, but I'm quite familiar with the story--you can't be a gamer and not be--even before the movies came out. I know what Twilight's about just from hearing about it. But I couldn't tell you jack about Airbender, aside from a reference I read in a Shanda the Panda comic.

Fantasy nuts, gamers, sci-fi fans, and just people who love good literature love LOTR. Twilight obviously caters to teenage girls and fortysomething housewives. Airbender? Anime fans and kids. Now if Pixar was making the Airbender movies, oh hell yes, that's a different story, because anything Pixar touches turns to gold. M. Night, who hasn't had a hit since The Sixth Sense? Nobody's signing him to a three-picture deal. Hell, James Bond is about the safest bet there is out there, but they just cancelled the next Bond movie because MGM is about to go tango uniform.

Another example is League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, where everyone but Sean Connery signed onto a three-picture deal. The first one just barely broke even, Sean Connery threatened to pound the director into the pavement, so no deal and the studio loses cash.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Iliked LXG"

BEAR CAV!

#58 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 10 July 2010 - 12:52 PM, said:

people knowingly supporting crap-movies is why crap-movies like this get made.
i don't care if it's the worst movie in the world, if you like AVATAR you have to see it as a TRUE FAN! avatar isn't someone unknown band that will die out if every fan doesn't support it; it's a MASSIVE franchise that's already ridiculously successful. not supporting it might actual end up with fans getting a decent remake movie.

Or at least give it a chance. Then if it sucks, take it apart.

bwahahahah!! this is the single most ironic thing i have ever seen on this board. how can you say that while repeatedly bashing things you've never even tried? one piece? scott pilgrim?

not to be rude, but i genuinely had to do a double take to make sure i had the poster right after reading that. you argued with me for something like three pages about how you can bash and bash something without ever giving it a chance, because you can just look at things and tell how badly they suck at a mere glimpse.

They weren't sure it was going to succeed. Airbender caters to a niche audience (as far as Hollywood is concerned), and no studio is going to risk literally billions of dollars on a project that might tank. Twilight and LOTR are safe bets because a HUGE market exists for those movies. I've never read LOTR, but I'm quite familiar with the story--you can't be a gamer and not be--even before the movies came out. I know what Twilight's about just from hearing about it. But I couldn't tell you jack about Airbender, aside from a reference I read in a Shanda the Panda comic.

that's because you're not twelve. an airbender movie's about as risky and niche as a live-action, american-made pokemon movie would be today. naruto and avatar are pretty much the most well-known kids' shows in the past 3-4 years.

I want to see a live-action Evangelion movie, but not if they have to eliminate half of everything that makes Eva good.

evangelion never found a mainstream audience no matter how many times cartoon network tried to air it - i think fans blamed the editing? it's not a series that has any sort of mainstream appeal besides amongst anime fans, anyway. the majority of new anime fans aren't big on eva now, either - it's a niche among niches.

even if it were to get made, it's rich with CHRISTIAN NAME DROPPING. yeha..this is the country where it's still taboo to even SAY god in a movie that's not sucking up to and canonizing religious zealots or a comedy that still plays it very, very safe: Bruce Almighty. there is no way, if it were ever going to get made, they're going to stay close to this uber-japanese story about ultra-sexualized fourteen year olds using the lance that pierced jesus to fight giant godzilla-style monsters. lotr was a literary classic and even that level of fidelity to the source material and making this trilogy and the scale of it all was considered a massive risk by the company.

that being said, studios dump millions of dollars into iNDIE MOVIES REGULARLY. the american movie systems tosses ridiculous amounts of cash into movies. if you're a capable person, you can make the special effects and things work perfectly, even on a budget: district 9.

but they just cancelled the next Bond movie because MGM is about to go tango uniform.

no idea what this means, but did you watch the last bond film? it sucked. after the amazing reboot in casino royale, it was a bland bourne-clone that disappointed fans and critics. i assumed the movie was canceled because of the negative reaction to the last one.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 12 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

#59 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 12 July 2010 - 08:10 PM, said:

i don't care if it's the worst movie in the world, if you like AVATAR you have to see it as a TRUE FAN! avatar isn't someone unknown band that will die out if every fan doesn't support it; it's a MASSIVE franchise that's already ridiculously successful. not supporting it might actual end up with fans getting a decent remake movie.

bwahahahah!! this is the single most ironic thing i have ever seen on this board. how can you say that while repeatedly bashing things you've never even tried? one piece? scott pilgrim?

not to be rude, but i genuinely had to do a double take to make sure i had the poster right after reading that. you argued with me for something like three pages about how you can bash and bash something without ever giving it a chance, because you can just look at things and tell how badly they suck at a mere glimpse.

This. True words of wisdom.
ACen '14 Cosplay

#60 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:14 AM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 12 July 2010 - 08:10 PM, said:

that's because you're not twelve. an airbender movie's about as risky and niche as a live-action, american-made pokemon movie would be today. naruto and avatar are pretty much the most well-known kids' shows in the past 3-4 years.

evangelion never found a mainstream audience no matter how many times cartoon network tried to air it - i think fans blamed the editing? it's not a series that has any sort of mainstream appeal besides amongst anime fans, anyway. the majority of new anime fans aren't big on eva now, either - it's a niche among niches.

even if it were to get made, it's rich with CHRISTIAN NAME DROPPING. yeha..this is the country where it's still taboo to even SAY god in a movie that's not sucking up to and canonizing religious zealots or a comedy that still plays it very, very safe: Bruce Almighty. there is no way, if it were ever going to get made, they're going to stay close to this uber-japanese story about ultra-sexualized fourteen year olds using the lance that pierced jesus to fight giant godzilla-style monsters. lotr was a literary classic and even that level of fidelity to the source material and making this trilogy and the scale of it all was considered a massive risk by the company.

that being said, studios dump millions of dollars into iNDIE MOVIES REGULARLY. the american movie systems tosses ridiculous amounts of cash into movies. if you're a capable person, you can make the special effects and things work perfectly, even on a budget: district 9.

no idea what this means, but did you watch the last bond film? it sucked. after the amazing reboot in casino royale, it was a bland bourne-clone that disappointed fans and critics. i assumed the movie was canceled because of the negative reaction to the last one.

I admit you got me on Scott Pilgrim, but I did give One Piece a chance, and I still think it sucks. And I also admit that one of the reasons I argued with you so vehemently, Keiichi, is because of your apparent belief that anyone who thinks One Piece or Scott Pilgrim is not the finest anime/manga series ever produced is a moron who must be destroyed. With you, IMHO, it seems that it's not enough to agree to disagree, but that the other person has brought a personal insult against you if they don't like One Piece or Scott Pilgrim.

You take it personally to the point of near fanaticism. If you don't believe me, check out your Scott Pilgrim thread, where every scrap of new info about this movie is hailed as the Second Coming. Now I admit you were right and Scott Pilgrim does look pretty damn awesome, but don't launch a vendetta against people who, for reasons known only to them, think it sucks. Even if they're wrong. In the scheme of things, it doesn't matter. (I get pretty hot when it comes to religion or politics, because those affect our daily lives. Scott Pilgrim, even if it is indeed as made of win as you say it is, does not.)

So...enough of that.

Sure, Naruto and Airbender are the most popular kid's shows out there. But to a Hollywood exec, that's not instant cash. There's plenty of "kids' movies" that tank. (In fact, I might even argue that most do.) M. Night's track record since the Sixth Sense has been one long unending fail. Pixar? Three-picture deal easy. Peter Jackson? Three picture deal. M. Night? Not so much.

I agree with what you said on Evangelion, though not with the "We can't mention God because the Christian Zealots will get so pissed off that they'll boycott the movie." For Hollywood that's a selling point. There's no such thing as bad publicity, and pissing off Christians is not something Hollywood is particularly concerned with. It's why Family Guy gets away with making fun of Jesus, but absolutely will not touch Mohammed. Christians organize boycotts and write strongly-worded letters to the execs. Muslims threaten to kill them, and have shown that they're willing to carry out those threats. (Not all Muslims, true...but enough radicals to scare hell out of everyone when a threat is made.)

Yeah, the Christian Coalition would have kittens over Eva, but it's not the reason the Eva movie is probably never going to be made. It's the fact that it would be a) hugely expensive, b ) caters to a niche market and c) is a story really only anime fans watch, and then, honestly, only a few. Hell, One Piece has a better chance to be made into a movie (easy there, Keiichi, don't hyperventilate), even though it too caters to a niche market--but if a Hollywood exec hears the word "pirate," and they immediately conjure images of the next Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. (And yes, they'd probably cast Justin Bieber as Luffy, and Kii would have to hide all the knives at Chez Keiichi.)

Yes, studios dump millions into indie movies and, IMHO, most of them suck. Studios care about one thing: bottom line. It's why a great movie like The Book of Eli barely make a blip whereas crappy drek like Twilight gets Harry Potter levels of studio support: Twilight fills them seats. (And yes, Keiichi, I have actually seen the first two Twilight movies--because I wanted to give them a chance. I've since written Stephanie Meyer asking for four hours of my life back. No answer yet; she's too busy rolling around in cash like Scrooge McDuck.)

Finally, about the last James Bond movie? Absolutely agree 100%, but that's not the reason why the next one's been cancelled. It's being cancelled because MGM is about to go bankrupt and there's no cash to pay Daniel Craig to be bore his enemies to death again.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Dude was awesome in Defiance"

BEAR CAV!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users