#1 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

FOILED AGAIN!

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#2 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:26 PM

Two more movies? We're going to be dealing with this (expletive) until 2013? God (expletive).
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#3 User is offline   sweetbeanpaste 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 33071

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

Wow. That's so sad. I read the books, and didn't like them. I think if someone likes the books, a little fandom never hurt anyone. However, when people take it this far, that's just disgusting.
Currently Watching: Supernatural | Currently Constructing: n/a | Currently Playing: n/a | Next Con: DragonCon 2012?
---

~2012: Friday Cosplay- Vriska Serket(Make Her Pay)/Homestuck [100%] | Saturday Cosplay- Princess Zelda/Wind Waker [100%] | Sunday Cosplay- GLaDOS/Portal 2 [100%]
~2011: Saturday Cosplay- Suigintou/Rozen Maiden [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- Kallen Kozuki/Code Geass (Black Knights) [100%] [x]
~2010: Saturday Cosplay- Princess Rosalina/Super Mario Galaxy [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- San/Princess Mononoke [95%] [x]
~2009: Saturday Cosplay- Kouno Tohru/Princess Princess [100%] [x] | Sunday Outfit- Neko [100%]
Other Cosplays Include: Rose Lalonde/Homestuck, Sakura Haruno/Naruto, Random Quidditch Player/Harry Potter, Trace/Onward Bound, Marceline/Adventure Time, Dead Shuffle Jade Harley/Homestuck, Dog Tier Jade Harley/Homestuck, and Dress of Eclectica Jade Harley/Homestuck.
I do have a Facebook! I do commission! Shoot me a message!

#4 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

I think if such a thing affects their relationship to start with, it probably wasn't going to go as well even without the books/movies/sparkles.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#5 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:28 AM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 28 June 2010 - 09:58 PM, said:

I think if such a thing affects their relationship to start with, it probably wasn't going to go as well even without the books/movies/sparkles.

Perhaps, but just look at what other addictions can do to relationships: alcoholism, gambling, drugs. A relationship that was once solid can easily break down if one party's obsessions begin affecting their behavior. One can only take so much neglect or abuse before they have to get out (at least assuming the victim is healthy/confident enough to break the cycle).
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#6 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

View Postwrexness, on 29 June 2010 - 06:28 AM, said:

Perhaps, but just look at what other addictions can do to relationships: alcoholism, gambling, drugs. A relationship that was once solid can easily break down if one party's obsessions begin affecting their behavior. One can only take so much neglect or abuse before they have to get out (at least assuming the victim is healthy/confident enough to break the cycle).

That's very serious stuff though - this is a fantasy book series. And while you make a good point on the obsession part, it comes back to it being a...what, three or four book series?
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#7 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 29 June 2010 - 07:32 AM, said:

That's very serious stuff though - this is a fantasy book series. And while you make a good point on the obsession part, it comes back to it being a...what, three or four book series?

Not saying I understand it at all, but people that get obsessed about stuff like that aren't always functioning with total logical reasoning either.

#8 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

OH. EM. GEE!

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 28 June 2010 - 09:58 PM, said:

Agreed.

I mean, I have my gaming obsessions here and there, but my husband and I have a mutual agreement that when a game we've been looking forward to comes out, it is only natural for one to neglect the other for a bit until the game is won :)

#9 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

View Posttatterpillar, on 29 June 2010 - 10:43 AM, said:

Agreed.

I mean, I have my gaming obsessions here and there, but my husband and I have a mutual agreement that when a game we've been looking forward to comes out, it is only natural for one to neglect the other for a bit until the game is won :)

But what if you're playing that game for months, or years, for 12 hours a day every day? We're not necessarily talking about a short-term "obsession" that lasts a few weeks, give or take, but something that is persistant and lasts for an extended period of time. If you're still neglecting him through all that, would it still be fair? Does that mean your relationship wasn't strong before you started?

There are certainly times where a relatively small situation like a temporary need to get a game fix might cause trouble, and those relationships probably were bound to end anyway, but don't discount how devastating a true obsession can be. People have died because of a legitimate video game obsession.

#10 User is offline   xvszero 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 48208

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

Not to point fingers, but I know a couple of people whose relationships died because one partner was "too into" anime.

Just saying, it exists everywhere.

#11 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

That article proved to me that Agony Booth was right: Twilight is a middle-aged woman's last, desperate attempt to reclaim their youth. (They called it something else, but this is a sort-of family website.) And what better way to do so than imagine falling in love with the eternal teenager, whose bite can make you live forever at the perfect age?

Of course, that forgets the facts of being a vampire, existing on a warm, liquid diet that you have to injure or kill for, watching your friends slowly die, and being stuck in puberty for eternity.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Now that would suck"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#12 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

I don't think it's the obsession itself that's hurting things. (No matter how stupid it is.) There are people I know that do like Twilight but they use it for what it was made for. For women to get off to. The problem that I see now is that most girls want to be like Bella. They want this constant blissful feeling in a real relationship that Bella has in a book. The problem with that is 1. It's a freaking book and no where on earth are real relationships like that. and 2. Bella is not someone to look up to. When she is without a man she is basically worthless. She can't stand up for herself, she can't think for herself, hell she can't even care for herself most of the time. If anything Bella is trying to set womens rights back by decades. If I was dating a girl and she started to become as needy as Bella I'd probably lose it. "You do have a mind of your own ya know!"

I'm amazed that so many people can't see the difference between fantasy and reality anymore.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#13 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

i think that Twilight should just get over so i dont have to hear people talking and talking about it ive never read the books; just watched the 1st twilight movie last Christmas and came to the point with my friends that i want 2 1/2 hours of my life back now and i dont plan on watching anymore and when people ask me if im going to the stupid midnight premiere things im just like do i really look like a twilight fanatic? i think my favorite shirt for the crap to anger people is one that my friend bought it has Eddie from the Munsters with Edward under it lol. but thats about it.
ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#14 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:21 AM

Twilight effected my relationship with a girlfriend once. I was in Seattle near Forks, she begged me to go and get her a souviner. Total waste of time to drive there.

Twilight will run it's course like Harry Potter did and the fandom will eventually die... by natural causes or by machine gun, either way, the fandom will die.

-readies his machine gun-

I tried reading the books, I couldn't get into them at all, and I happen to LOVE most romance stories...

Twilight isn't romance, it's a girl thinking she's in love with her stalker who happens to be a vampire.

The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#15 User is offline   ZomgBlue 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 29826

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:45 AM

haha this is funny. one couple i babysit for, is not having any problems, but i was talking to the wife and she asked if i was in to it. she mentioned that she was taping some E! thing and wants the kids to play outside for most of the night. so after chasing them around teh house i figured i would con them in to picking up the eldest kid at a street hockey game by promising the chance of popsicles (luckily there were some). i got there and right away 3 moms seemed to be in their own group so i went over to introduce myself when i heard it... they were all gushing about twilight... i stopped and went back over to cheer on my kid and watch my other 3 and hold on to my baby. i knew where i belonged and it was a safe distance away. the dads were all playing the game of street hockey. 2 of the 3 that werent old enough to play were hitting a ball back and forth with hockey sticks near the twimoms. the other was causing trouble and the baby was dancing to lady gaga... *sigh* at least i was free of twilight talk woooooooooo! no i did not get any new babysitting gigs out of my outing to the street hockey game :(
the one the only princess neon plaid mix'n'match confusion of colour

#16 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hm, in those movies:

Nothing line a bunch of shirtless teen guys and a girl in the middle who doesn't know what the hell is going on.

Classic Hollywood action right there.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#17 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:12 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 29 June 2010 - 07:45 PM, said:

I don't think it's the obsession itself that's hurting things. (No matter how stupid it is.) There are people I know that do like Twilight but they use it for what it was made for. For women to get off to. The problem that I see now is that most girls want to be like Bella. They want this constant blissful feeling in a real relationship that Bella has in a book. The problem with that is 1. It's a freaking book and no where on earth are real relationships like that. and 2. Bella is not someone to look up to. When she is without a man she is basically worthless. She can't stand up for herself, she can't think for herself, hell she can't even care for herself most of the time. If anything Bella is trying to set womens rights back by decades. If I was dating a girl and she started to become as needy as Bella I'd probably lose it. "You do have a mind of your own ya know!"

I'm amazed that so many people can't see the difference between fantasy and reality anymore.

That... is.. a symptom... of obsession... O_o

#18 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

View Postwrexness, on 30 June 2010 - 11:12 AM, said:

That... is.. a symptom... of obsession... O_o

No. Because I'm obsessed with video games. But I can tell the difference between reality and fantasy.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#19 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 30 June 2010 - 09:11 PM, said:

No. Because I'm obsessed with video games. But I can tell the difference between reality and fantasy.

You seem to be missing the point of what a symptom is. A symptom may be present, but is not necessarily required for diagnosis. The symptoms of a flu are "chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness/fatigue and general discomfort." Does that mean if you don't have a headache, then you don't have the flu?

This post has been edited by wrexness: 30 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

#20 User is offline   ZomgBlue 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 29826

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

the paper of the town near me is glorifing the whole damned thing...

'twilight' series evokes memories of love :thumbdown:
the one the only princess neon plaid mix'n'match confusion of colour

#21 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

Psssh :thumbdown: . I'd go for Jacob. But I'm Team Eric :thumbup: .
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon) and Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa) Friday and Saturday

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users