Western Comic Discussions For comics from N/A, S/A and the EU

#31 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:48 AM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 26 June 2010 - 02:16 PM, said:

such a chauvinistic approach to comic improvement, though, ben. lol!
'y'know...y'know those WOMEN in spider-man comics? y'know what would make
the comics better?...IF THEY WERE DEAD!!"

Nothing to do with them being women...if Spidey was a girl and had a boyfriend who was an underwear model, and an old uncle who dispensed advice liberally while cooking dinner--I'd still say they needed to kick the bucket.

The reason why is because Spidey is the ultimate superhero loser. It sucks to be Peter Parker. The dude is lucky to hold down a job, his boss is a jerk who wants to kill/humiliate/make money off of in the process his alter ego, he's always broke, and because he's kind a nerdy guy outside the costume, women don't pay attention to him (especially not supermodels like Mary Jane Watson). In other words, he's a lot like "normal" guys. We can relate when Spiderman kicks some supervill butt, and is feeling pretty good about that, but when he gets home he finds that ConEd is about to cut off his power because he hasn't been able to pay them. And guess what? There's no money in the kitty because Pete's been too busy saving people to get the pictures that J. Jonah Hitler wants PDQ.

Superman? Never has that problem. Never has any problems, really, other than various supervills in the DCU trying to kill him, which is damn near impossible unless kryptonite is involved. Spiderman is tough, but stick him in front of a gatling gun and he'll still be dead if he doesn't dodge. Superman can stand there and just take the hit; Spiderman has to break off his attack and duck for cover. Sure, his spider-sense will keep him from being hit, but if the spider-sense fails...

As the comic progressed, Aunt May died and was somehow resurrected about 50 times, so whenever she was threatened with being kidnapped or shot or whatever, nobody cared because you know she wasn't going to die. Not permanently. And when Peter married MJ, well, hell...no more probs for Pete. Daily Bugle fires him? No sweat; MJ's a model. They're not hurting for money. She's gorgeous, so it's not like he's going to go out looking for a hot dog (Black Cat) when he's got filet mignon (MJ) waiting at home. Right there, you've removed some of the "realism" (as realistic as superhero comics can get) that made Spidey so appealing. How many people are ever going to bag a supermodel?

So, eliminate Aunt May so we can ditch the "oh, Aunt May is dying and I must get her the serum" storyline that's cropped up 876 times, or at least move her to the Catskills. Maybe not kill MJ Watson, but make her unattainable, so Peter Parker's struggle to find the right girl becomes damn near Sisiphyean. You know, like real life.

I've read some of the Spiderman Ultimate series, and I liked it. It gets Peter back to his roots.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Which is being a guy who works for his victories"

This post has been edited by sentinel28a: 27 June 2010 - 12:54 AM

See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#32 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:43 AM

but how does having no guardian increase his relativity?
i totally get the MJ thing, but...aunt may? a lot of his 'everyman' problems are
a direct result of having to watch over aunt may.

#33 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:10 AM

Spider Man is my favorite super hero because he's actually probably the best hero in the Marvel universe (strong, smart, fantastic leader), but his life is pretty lousy because he has to deal with school, his job, and what not. Superman is my least favorite because he is so (right we can't use bad words on the forum) invincible that I don't give a crap.
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#34 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:55 AM

Pay no mind to Keiichi, Ben.

He tends to see everything through genders first before seeing the big picture.
-eye roll-

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#35 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

View PostJeff, on 28 June 2010 - 12:10 AM, said:

Spider Man is my favorite super hero because he's actually probably the best hero in the Marvel universe (strong, smart, fantastic leader), but his life is pretty lousy because he has to deal with school, his job, and what not. Superman is my least favorite because he is so (right we can't use bad words on the forum) invincible that I don't give a crap.

You just hit upon why Superman sells fairly poorly, The main Superman title is only averaging mid 30k. For comparison Batman sells upper 60k, Green Lantern DC best selling regular book is upper 90s low 100. Superman is simply too perfect to be found interesting, which is the same reason that Marvel moved Steve Rogers off of Captain America and put James Barnes in that role instead. James isn't a super-solder, no super powers just smart and well trained and caries a crap load of baggage, he is the every man Captain America.

This post has been edited by jsieczkar: 28 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#36 User is offline   Matt 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1225

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

I don't follow any current titles except for Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight and Scott Pilgrim. But I have recently read some older titles, including:

Howard the Duck (Vol 2, Issues 1-6: it's better than you might think -- much better than the movie)
Batman: Hush
Catwoman: When in Rome
Persepolis
The Light Brigade
The first two volumes of The Authority
Some Spider-Man: Blue, Mary Jane, Feral (I think that's what it was called), and Whatever Happened to Spider-Girl?
Superman: Red Son
Kick-A$$ (dang forums censors :) )

And many more. I also agree with sentinel's opinion of Gold Digger, although I only own the Mangazine story, the first miniseries, and the first volume of the regular series. I've also read some of the other early issues, when my brother used to read it.
:heart: <span style='color:Magenta'>Proud Secretary of the Plushy Guardian Alliance</span> :heart:

:heart: <span style='color:Blue'>Soldier in The Glomp Team </span> :heart:

<span style='color:DarkSlateBlue'>Member of the Anime Central Association for the Advancement of Bunnykind</span>

#37 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

View PostKii, on 28 June 2010 - 12:55 AM, said:

Pay no mind to Keiichi, Ben.

He tends to see everything through genders first before seeing the big picture.
-eye roll-

Are you guys having a spat? In one thread, it's "She/He put their head in my lap, sooo kyute" and here you're tearing each other apart on comic books. NEVER underestimate the power of geekdom.

Bumping off Aunt May has nothing to do with gender--I'm just tired of her being a walking, shuffling cliche.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Sentinel doesn't like old people"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#38 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 28 June 2010 - 06:31 PM, said:

Are you guys having a spat? In one thread, it's "She/He put their head in my lap, sooo kyute" and here you're tearing each other apart on comic books. NEVER underestimate the power of geekdom.

Bumping off Aunt May has nothing to do with gender--I'm just tired of her being a walking, shuffling cliche.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Sentinel doesn't like old people"

LOL, we always butt heads when it comes to comics.
You should see us when we go into comic shops or to Borders, which is actually what the majority of our dates consist of.
We verbally duke it out almost every time.

In the most loving way possible.

ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#39 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:25 PM

View PostKii, on 28 June 2010 - 08:15 PM, said:

LOL, we always butt heads when it comes to comics.
You should see us when we go into comic shops or to Borders, which is actually what the majority of our dates consist of.
We verbally duke it out almost every time.

In the most loving way possible.

it's hard dating someone who is always wrong about everything, in every aspect, all day long - but i endure it heroically.

no, actually, we don't really argue about comics. i say i don't like superheroes and kii argues that i haven't read the right ones, or we argue about how scott pilgrim should end or something. usually we're generally enthusiastic about most of the same stuff geek culture-wise. we've been exchanging tons of novels, comics, and video games this summer and have yet to have this huge opinion divide on something yet.

half the stuff i like is girly enough to not turn off a girlfriend, and i don't recommend stuff unless i'm pretty sure the other person will enjoy it, or unless it has a broad enough appeal that most anyone will enjoy it on some level, anyway.
but..i don't think we..seriously argue like, 'YOU SERIOUSLY LIKE THIS?!' if kii thinks i will seriously dislike something she loves, she hides it from me and doesn;t allow me to read it. like harry potter.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 28 June 2010 - 10:30 PM

#40 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:30 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 28 June 2010 - 10:25 PM, said:

it's hard dating someone who is always wrong about everything, in every aspect, all day long - but Kii endures it heroically.

<3

#41 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

View PostKii, on 28 June 2010 - 10:30 PM, said:

<3

LMAO.

#42 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

I know sentinel was rather unhappy with the general darker tone that has been generality present in American comics. Well good news for him and everyone else that feels this way Marvel has basically started making more "happier" story lines with a few books (Secret Avengers, X-Force, and Captain America) still being darker espionage type books. The X-Verse is supposed to go back to a more Claremontisc style dealing more with social issues and less violent, and the Avengers are going back to being a traditional superhero team with none of the political trappings.

Recommendations for the week (7/14):
Doctor Solar Man Of The Atom #1 -- Dark Horse Comics (Shooter/Calero)
Lady Robotika #1 -- Image Comics (Wiedlin/Morrison)
X-Men Origins: Deadpool #1 -- Marvel Comics (Swierczynski/Fernandez)
The Sixth Gun #1 -- Oni Press (Bunn/Hurtt)
X-Men Second Coming #2 -- Marvel Comics

This post has been edited by jsieczkar: 15 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users