Anime Central Forums: Prop question - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Prop question what defines a "tool" of dissasembly?

#1 User is offline   Jack_of_hearts 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 28685

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

Ok, so, I'm building Nick's Cross Punisher, and I would like to use wing-nuts to disassemble it. (all four parts would open like a cabinet to expose the wing-nuts. It would break down into (+/- 4") 3 foot sections. I would be able to use my hands to undo the wing-nuts.

I remember something about using tools to dissasemble a prop disqualifies it as "safe".
Do the wing-nuts count as using a tool?
Kurogane= 98% --> I want a better cape, and I need the head thingy. (I don't see it making a comeback for 2011, but I'm still gonna finish it!!!
Germany= 2% --> have fabric and a wig. Just gotta style/cut it.
France= 30% --> got the pants and did a first draft coat. Have a wig but not sure I like it.
Gaz= 99% --> popped a seam at KollisionCon... v.v
Unknown maybes: Kuroshitsuji, Trigun, Soul Eater, Lolita Gir?
DeviantArt

#2 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:46 AM

View PostJack_of_hearts, on 25 June 2010 - 10:01 AM, said:

Ok, so, I'm building Nick's Cross Punisher, and I would like to use wing-nuts to disassemble it. (all four parts would open like a cabinet to expose the wing-nuts. It would break down into (+/- 4") 3 foot sections. I would be able to use my hands to undo the wing-nuts.

I remember something about using tools to dissasemble a prop disqualifies it as "safe".
Do the wing-nuts count as using a tool?

You remember incorrectly. (Actually, I'm not even sure where you'd get that from.) All that we require is that you carry your prop in pieces that are within our length requirements. If you need a screwdriver to break your prop down, that's fine. (Though really there are better ways to go - like wing nuts.)
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#3 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

View PostTheRabbi, on 26 June 2010 - 01:46 AM, said:

You remember incorrectly. (Actually, I'm not even sure where you'd get that from.) All that we require is that you carry your prop in pieces that are within our length requirements. If you need a screwdriver to break your prop down, that's fine. (Though really there are better ways to go - like wing nuts.)

They did say they were using wing nuts.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#4 User is offline   Jack_of_hearts 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

I've been accused of dumber things. :rolleyes: (could have sworn I'd read it somewhere on the website :blush: ).

so it has to always be disassembled? :huh: I've seen nicks before that had the cross in one solid piece throughout the con. Or is it ok in the hotel, just not the convention center? (I just don't want to show up with it and be told, "yea, but you can only put it together for 5% of the con") :unsure:
Kurogane= 98% --> I want a better cape, and I need the head thingy. (I don't see it making a comeback for 2011, but I'm still gonna finish it!!!
France= 30% --> got the pants and did a first draft coat. Have a wig but not sure I like it.
DeviantArt

#5 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

(Rabbi/DHs, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.)

This year we decided to try a(n experimental) new rule. Props can remain in one piece so long as they are your height or shorter (if you're under 4 feet tall, the prop can be 4 feet tall, max). If it's going to be taller than you, then yes, it has to be broken down. It can, however, be reassembled for pictures.

Now, since this was an experimental rule, I have no idea if it will be changing one way or the other, if at all, for next year. (IRT peeps: Any word from up top?)
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#6 User is offline   Jack_of_hearts 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

That would be awesome. Cuz I don't plan on this thing being taller than me. (I stand 5'8" without the shoes in mind, and this sucker shouldn't be more than 5'6" - 5'7").

If that rule goes permanent, I would hug every IRT member I met. lol :glomp:

This post has been edited by Jack_of_hearts: 26 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

DeviantArt

#7 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

As far as I'm aware, the new height rule didn't cause any problems, so it's likely to stay on the books going forward.

But the breaking-down-large-props part has always been in there. We just changed the size above which you have to break it down. ^^
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#8 User is offline   Jack_of_hearts 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

Oh that's fine, it'll still break down, but being able to keep it together for more than "just pictures" would be fantastic. :D :D :D

Thank you!
DeviantArt

#9 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on 26 June 2010 - 01:46 AM, said:

You remember incorrectly. (Actually, I'm not even sure where you'd get that from.)

I think the memories about "tools for actual use" may have been crossed with the "tools as props" questions ( as in "I'm cosplaying Winry from FMA--can I carry a real wrench?" and the like).
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users