Dear Internet

#1 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

rele IS NOT a word. really IS a word

ur is not a word. your, you're and you are are all words (your and you're are two different words with two completely different meanings, btw)

Sorry. I'm dealing with a lot of super awesome people today at work. Just venting...
~~

#2 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

What's even more disturbing is thinking about entire research papers written by students in 'txt' format. *shudders* This is what I actually dealt with when I proofread through papers...

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#3 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

Are people writing and/or typing like that?

That's gotta be annoying. >< I never really typed like that. I would always spell you and not use just the letter u. I wouldn't type thank you as ty. Etc.

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#4 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

wat ru rele talking about :blink: :wacko: :mellow: :unsure: <_< :rolleyes:

I'm sad though, even in college this was a plague...
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#5 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

orly?

liek wat

i prefer to believe people are just being lazy as opposed to illiterate.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 24 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

#6 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

You know....I am in a professional business and people use thx, pls, u. I have never heard 'rele' though....everyone else has, apparently. Maybe I'm just not playing many games anymore.

Dumb kids.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#7 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, they are.

I mean, I understand shortening some words because they are really hard to spell or they are typing on a number pad, but getting emails from adults on computers with standard keyboards. Majority of their words are spelled way wrong. I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi. Lord knows I make enough mistakes myself, but when your sentences are so bad that they are barely readable, that's a problem.
~~

#8 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

Be grateful they don't (try) to use l33t-speak. Makes my brain hurt.

And those who depend on spelling checkers only... I even caught an ad in a publication aimed at lawyers that confused "pedal" with "peddle" for example.

and those with ee cummings lack of shift key.

And then there are those who have no grasp of punctuation or paragraph breaks.
This space intentionally left blank.

#9 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

View Postobakasan, on 24 June 2010 - 02:00 PM, said:

And then there are those who have no grasp of punctuation or paragraph breaks.

True...

Actually I think what is worse is when you have the typer that refuses to use periods they dont realize how hard this is to read it just keeps going going i hate when people send these to me i have to read them like 3 times before i can fully comprehend the sentence.
~~

#10 User is offline   Aizen_sama 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 57905

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

Punctuation has got to be one of the important things to use when writing a sentence, great example i saw in my English class.

An English professor wrote the words, “Woman without her man is nothing” on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.

The men wrote: “Woman, without her man, is nothing.”

The women wrote: “Woman: Without her, man is nothing.”
Always up for conversation about anime's, so send me a Pm anytime, or a message on Facebook.
X-Box Gamertag- Killerray287

2010 Cosplay- TYL Yamamoto Takeshi (KHR) 100%
2011 Cosplay- Itachi Uchiha 100%
2012 Cosplay- Up in the Air

#11 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

that that is is not not that it is is it it is

That, that is, is not. Not that it is, is it?
It is.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#12 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

View PostAizen_sama, on 24 June 2010 - 02:22 PM, said:

Punctuation has got to be one of the important things to use when writing a sentence, great example i saw in my English class.

An English professor wrote the words, “Woman without her man is nothing” on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.

The men wrote: “Woman, without her man, is nothing.”

The women wrote: “Woman: Without her, man is nothing.”

Tee-hee, that is hilarious.

#13 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:38 PM

"Let's eat, Grandma."

"Let's eat Grandma."

Hmmmm. . .

ACen '14 Cosplay

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#14 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

A funny but informative book about English and punctuation is one titled "Eats Shoots & Leaves." Look for it at library. Or Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...77412757&sr=1-1
This space intentionally left blank.

#15 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

o rly?

Spoiler

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#16 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

I think I can win the thread. See if you can read this. It's a movie review of Gladiator turned in by one of my students--a second-year college student from New York--two years ago. Enjoy: :pirate:

A war between Rome and another army lead to a bloody dead of many of Maximus and Caesar’s army. In a meeting with an Old man who is the Emperor of Rome, Maximus tells the emperor Cesar that he has a son in the hills with a kitchen guard and a huge gate. Caesar ask Maximus for one more favor before he goes home, Caesar wanted him to rule and mentioned he is the son he never had, but Maximus thinks he’s not fit to rule so he refused the offer. Maximus lost many men in the war of Rome and he doesn’t want his warrior’s lives to be taken away in a battle if it’s going to be for nothing. The emperor’s other son found out some news that he didn’t like hearing from Caesar, his father, and suffocated him to death because of his jealousy while Caesar was on his knee pleading and hugging his son who was filled with angry emotions.

The son, Caesar then called Maximus in and told him the emperor is dead, but Maximus didn’t believe the news that he died of natural causes. After refusing to take the hands of his brother, Maximus was brought to a place towards the rising of the sun to be killed. He escapes from being killed by his brother’s guards in the mountain and then rides off from the rise of the sun and was hurt broken as he found his wife and son dead, he wept. Then he was chained and was sold as a slave and brought together with other slaves that had to fight as a gladiator against humans and wild beasts that were ready to kill, but Maximus fights and survived.

Rome was then greeted by the new emperor, one of Caesar’s sons, Caesar the II. Maximus annihilates each warrior in the field with audiences surrounding him for entertainment. He asked a black man if he believes he’ll see his family again after death and the man says yes, but as both men bonded the black man told Maximus that it wasn’t time to die since his family is already waiting for him in the after life. Caesar came to watch the gladiators fight a grueling, but didn’t know that his brother Maximus was still alive fighting with them. Although Maximus knows his brother is watching because of the boy named Locus that came to see him and said he’ll be cheering for him by his uncle’s side. Then right after Maximus and some of the gladiators survived the chariot fight the emperor wanted to meet with the good fighter, but found out it was Maximus, his brother who he thought was dead.

Maximus left the stadium gaining the peoples respect after speaking face to face with Caesar, the new emperor. Maximus then has his next match the following day after speaking with the sister of the emperor. Maximus the gladiator gets ready to fight against a giant and a few lions after killing a lion and defeating the giant on his back while standing over him refusing to finish killing him off. Caesar, the emperor, is upset because his brother gains the peoples favor and if he kills Maximus then the people would think he’s even more unmerciful. Later in the night Maximus escaped with the help of the emperor’s sister who once loved Maximus and I thought was the emperor’s wife. The rest of the gladiators help keep Caesar’s army back while Maximus flee into the night before the day he had to battle Caesar in the stadium ground, but Maximus didn’t make it and was caught.

As Maximus didn’t get far and was brought back and chained wrist by wrist as his brother clothed in white clerk came and conversated with him and stabbed him in the back with a spear. Maximus was then lifted to the top of the stadium ground with his armor concealing the stab wound that his brother Caesar did as he hug Maximus, the two brother begun to fight to their death. Caesar and Maximus fought to the finish indeed, but it was Maximus who came out on top and killed his brother Caesar.

Before Maximus dropped to his death he gave orders to free the slaves and said a few words to Locus’s mother, telling her that he is safe now as Maximus’ spirit left his body. She then closed his eyes and declared if one good mans life is worth losing for Rome’s entertainment while the crowd was silent and finally having the few army soldiers carry Maximus away in his honor as his spirit is home with his wife and son.

This movie was filmed in the year 2000 by Ridley Scott. Marcus Aurelius was the Emperor that was betrayed by his son and was a good friend to Maximus and called him a son he never had. Maximus arose above the rest of the gladiators by rank in the arena while killing off any opponents because Maximus wanted to avenge for the death of his family and Emperor. The movie was very successful and was the help to rive another movie called Sword and Sandal.

The general, Maximus, lead the Roman army to a victorious win against the Germanic Barbarians in 180 AD and losing a lot of men meanwhile gaining the respect of Commodus’ father, Aurelius, he turns down the offer of temperately becoming a leader before giving the power back to the Roman Senate, a desire he wanted after his death. Then many dramatic events took place and in the end the black man named Juba, who was free by Maximus command before he died, went and buried the two small statue of Maximus’ son and wife in the ground of the Colosseum and said he will join them in the after life as well, but not yet.

This story at least has a happy ending--this student took some remedial English classes and today is a pretty good writer. But the scary part is that, until she took my class, no one had ever told her that her writing was poor.

So what's taught in English class in HS these days? Anyone? Anyone?

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Bueller?"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#17 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 24 June 2010 - 04:05 PM, said:

It's unreal. I have my senior English paper around here somewhere. I'm going to have to find it and post it. I'm still shocked I passed high school with that piece-o-crap. High school English rele is a joke ;)

I took a few remedial English classes when I was in college. I'm so happy I did.
~~

#18 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 24 June 2010 - 04:05 PM, said:

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Bueller?"

......You just completely killed my brain. I'm an English major, and just reading that was a trial of blood. *facepalms* If I were the prof and got a paper like that, I'd be hard pressed not to re-enact this little gem.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#19 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

My favorite thing is when people spell out "could've/would've/should've" like "could of/would of/should of."

Plus I worked with a guy in a professional setting and I saw in an e-mail he sent to one of our clients "u" for "you." It was ridiculous. When I called him out, he laughed and apologized. He tried to defend himself by saying the spell check had failed him... so I snuck into his e-mail when he was on one of his smoke breaks (every half hour) and set it up to automatically change "u" to "you."

smh... What a doucher.

#20 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

I don't even trust spell-check. There've been countless times when I will type a word, but then spell-check will claim there's something wrong with it. Um, no. Considering all the suggestions you give me are NOT the word I am using (and I know the definitions to every variation), I will politely decline. Oh, and grammar check can go away. It fails just as much as spell-check does.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people using "taking the reins" (as in someone taking charge of a situation) and misspelling it. It's "reins," like those on the bridle of a horse, not "rains," not "reigns," or any other weird variation. "Reins." Ugh.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#21 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

There's this note left on my door for you. *Opens*

"Dear redx1,

lol stfu u no nothin.

Luv the internet."
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#22 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

My roommates actually turn in college papers using "net-speak". They actually make fun of me for having decent grammar.

This post has been edited by Ranko: 24 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#23 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

I know that I dont use perfect grammar or punctuation when I type on the internets. This post is proof of that. I am trying to get better though, as Ive been having to answer alot of registration emails over the last two years. I need to make myself sound somewhat professional when responding lol I do know that if I were to ever write a paper for school or for work communications or anything like that, I would take the time to write it out properly. And I have never been a big fan of using u, ty, thx, or any other such abbreviation... even when texting.

Oh and Sent, I couldnt get pass the first paragraph of that students paper lol

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#24 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

I was compiling / proofreading a group project back in college and one of the people not once but twice typed brb in the paper.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#25 User is offline   LADY SAKURA 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18295

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:19 AM

well im just lazy when im texting or IMing as long as the other person knows what im saying it shouldn't really matter NOW as far as writing papers for school or doing paperwork for jobs people should know better lol
The Forum Seductress ^_~To be a Tekosexual you must first become one with the tentacles

Facebook Me
Check Art My Dev art page
AIM ME: dsbabygyrl2021

#26 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:34 AM

hai guyz wuts going on in there here thread

u guy w8nt 2 prty
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#27 User is offline   DracosisBlu 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 8373

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:33 AM

View PostLina, on 24 June 2010 - 02:38 PM, said:

"Let's eat, Grandma."

"Let's eat Grandma."

Hmmmm. . .

Way to steal my signature.
:P
Just kidding! It's a common example.
:thumbup:

In response to the original poster...
As an English major and self-proclaimed grammar Nazi, I share your sentiments completely. Although I do succumb to using "u" and "r" and "2" when I'm texting something more than 160 characters and don't want to send a second text with only two words just so I can complete my thought.

And...as a Warcraft player. I sometimes give in to bad grammar when teasing people I'm familiar with (not random players). It's kind of the only place that I'm not such a stickler about my and other people's spelling and use of periods.

Know what else is irksome: Walls of text that are in need of paragraphing and punctuation and when people write "I can/could care less." I'll read a sentence without punctuation and be completely confused even though I understood every word in it.

O Rly?! U can care less? Go ahead show me.
B)

This post has been edited by DracosisBlu: 25 June 2010 - 01:39 AM

"Let's eat, grandma." or "Let's eat grandma."
Remember, commas save lives.

#28 User is offline   DracosisBlu 

• Pip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:38 AM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 25 June 2010 - 12:34 AM, said:

hai guyz wuts going on in there here thread

u guy w8nt 2 prty

i wantz ta party
i kan brin punch adn pai!!!

#29 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:58 AM

Your sig is such a great/funny example. I just HAD to use it. lol

I hate wall o' texts and when people say/write "I can/could care less" too. So annoying!!! ><

Here's a great video that is perfect for this thread: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3p4UX47WfM[/media]

ACen '14 Cosplay

#30 User is offline   DracosisBlu 

• Pip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:14 AM

View PostLina, on 25 June 2010 - 01:58 AM, said:

Your sig is such a great/funny example. I just HAD to use it. lol

I hate wall o' texts and when people say/write "I can/could care less" too. So annoying!!! ><

Here's a great video that is perfect for this thread: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3p4UX47WfM[/media]

Haha.
"I'm a speech the-RA-pist."
It made me think of "Mummies Alive." I miss that cartoon.

I will now send this video to everyone I know who'll enjoy it.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users