Let's talk about Visual Novels

#31 User is offline   applekidjosh 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3412

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:46 AM

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 01 July 2010 - 07:13 PM, said:

[b]I guess I am a "fixer" type person [...] happens to be good at house work ( Cooking and cleaning ). ...I'm the woman of the house and yet I am a man

Sh-Shirou?!
http://myanimelist.n...ofile/angryaria
Send a friend request, say you're from Acen forums!

#32 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

View Postapplekidjosh, on 02 July 2010 - 06:46 AM, said:

Sh-Shirou?!

Except personality wise I am nothing like him. Please don't insult me comparing me to HIM >_<

I really just don't like Shirou at all, his "I wanna be a Superhero" ethics and morals just make me want to uppercut him into the pit of spikes from Mortal Kombat.

The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#33 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

This might be a bit off-topic, but if you enjoy both visual novels and stat-driven dating simulations, then a demo of Shira Oka: Second Chances is now available. This project is meant to be an originally-in-English answer to the Tokimemo games. I'm not sure how different it is from what the Okashi Studios staff showed in the ACen dealer's room... but if you're interested, it's probably a lot more relaxing to play the demo at home, rather than at the con.

Also, a little birdie told me that a partial English version of Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side for DS might be released to the public later this July. Search for it on your own. (And if you like it when it's released, import the original game. Sheesh.)

#34 User is offline   applekidjosh 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

Yeah I signed up for Shira Oka newsletter about 5 years ago~

#35 User is offline   applekidjosh 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

So, anyway, how bout that UMINEKO EPISODE 6!?

sooooo good

#36 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

Downloaded Ren'py last night. It looks very easy to use being a high level language.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#37 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

I have Shira Oka on my desktop but I haven't started it yet, haven't found time just yet, plus I've been fighting tooth and nail with Suigetsu to get it working on my PC without having to switch out for a Japanese OS to run it.
The Oni of Taiyaki

#38 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 15 July 2010 - 01:16 PM, said:

I have Shira Oka on my desktop but I haven't started it yet, haven't found time just yet, plus I've been fighting tooth and nail with Suigetsu to get it working on my PC without having to switch out for a Japanese OS to run it.

That coding is evil. It's worth it, but will cost you your sanity trying to get the damned thing to work on an Eng OS.

http://answers.yahoo...03093927AAAoGKg

Try this, I finally was able to tweak my system enough, although Suigetsu
A- Doesn't play video on my Eng OS
B- You can't type in your name/ refuses to accept keyboard input
C- Each BGM only plays once and doesn't loop so I have to hover the mouse above the task bar in order to get the song to play again

Spoiler

#39 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

After trying the Shira Oka demo, I had some thoughts about what could be improved or fixed, so I made sure to mention them on the official forum. That way, the Okashi Studio staff will see the feedback.

A somewhat related thought -- even though it's only half visual novel, I might be importing the original Galaxy Angel game (Windows version) soon, since it was fan translated a while back. So when I'm not broke, I'll see if I can find a version that isn't overpriced.

View PostSuigetsu, on 15 July 2010 - 10:54 AM, said:

Downloaded Ren'py last night. It looks very easy to use being a high level language.

If you have one of the recent builds of Renpy, there should be at least one FAQ and a couple sample games. The official website should provide plenty of tips and advice. So unless you're creating elaborate gameplay or crazy experiments, it should be easy to understand.

Some alternatives to Renpy are Blade Engine and Novelty ("visual novel maker"). However, I think Blade Engine stopped updating around 2008, and Novelty is apparently still in beta.

#40 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

I've used Japanese VN creators in Japanese before and have used Visual BASIC before so even if it is a complex system I should be able to figure it out easily. The tutorials included did help if for nothing just to show me what can be accomplished. That being said, I'm just starting out with a true to word VN and not a simulation. There's no reason for me to make a new Tokimeki Memorial out of the starting gate ^^;

I also liked that Ren'Py showed that you can create RPG's and even basic minigames (pong for one) if one were so inclined to.

Another site I found to be helpful was http://wiki.renai.us/wiki/Main_Page for a starter if nothing else.

#41 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on 15 July 2010 - 05:27 PM, said:

...That being said, I'm just starting out with a true to word VN and not a simulation. There's no reason for me to make a new Tokimeki Memorial out of the starting gate ^^;

Well said, sir. You are wise to avoid running marathons until you can run a mile. ^_^

Also, in case anyone's interested, there is now a partial Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side First Love Plus translation patch. Search the web carefully and you'll find it.

#42 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 16 July 2010 - 08:29 PM, said:

Well said, sir. You are wise to avoid running marathons until you can run a mile. ^_^

Also, in case anyone's interested, there is now a partial Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side First Love Plus translation patch. Search the web carefully and you'll find it.

I have yet to play that one. All I've played from that series is something about "that promised place" or "place of promises" for the PS2. It really impressed me though, so much That I bought the sound track...and once again I remember how much those disks cost ^^;

#43 User is offline   applekidjosh 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

"partial translation" I just can't do it, gotta wait for the full

#44 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

I'm currently playing Tears to Tiara on the PC and am loving it. Visual Novels with a RPG system thrown in are a lot of fun and I wish I saw it more often.
The Oni of Taiyaki

#45 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

The Tokimemo Girl's Side DS translation is done, aside from bugs which might be lingering. It got a mention on /jp/, which surprised me.

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 12 September 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

I'm currently playing Tears to Tiara on the PC and am loving it. Visual Novels with a RPG system thrown in are a lot of fun and I wish I saw it more often.

Tears to Tiara costs $100+ on Erogeshop. It sounds like a good game, but I'm hesitating to pay that much.

#46 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 22 September 2010 - 05:53 PM, said:

Tears to Tiara costs $100+ on Erogeshop. It sounds like a good game, but I'm hesitating to pay that much.

I'll say it's well worth it. I picked it up for around 90 at Acen 2 years ago and don't regret it one bit.

#47 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

I recently purchased the Japanese version of Kanon for the Dreamcast. I am in the midst of getting my region coding hacked on my Dreamcast so that it will play the game no problem, which is great because I was looking around and old visual novel Dreamcast games are fairly cheap to pick up, so I know what I am going to be doing for awhile.

The only downside is I have to dig out my Kanji Dictionary and do the translating myself, major suck right there.

The Oni of Taiyaki

#48 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 23 September 2010 - 05:08 PM, said:

I recently purchased the Japanese version of Kanon for the Dreamcast. I am in the midst of getting my region coding hacked on my Dreamcast so that it will play the game no problem, which is great because I was looking around and old visual novel Dreamcast games are fairly cheap to pick up, so I know what I am going to be doing for awhile.

The only downside is I have to dig out my Kanji Dictionary and do the translating myself, major suck right there.

Hey hey hey, now you can track down a Dreamcast copy of Suigetsu...if you find 2 let me know..though I don't have a Dreamcast I want that game.

#49 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:54 AM

View PostSuigetsu, on 23 September 2010 - 07:20 PM, said:

Hey hey hey, now you can track down a Dreamcast copy of Suigetsu...if you find 2 let me know..though I don't have a Dreamcast I want that game.

Sure! But the game will cost your $50 on Ebay which is where I found it.

Big name VN's on the Dreamcast are going to still be worth some money after all, I got lucky with Kanon because it is a used copy and they printed a lot of discs of it apparently.

The Oni of Taiyaki

#50 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

Aksys Games has a survey on its site asking about fans' interest in professional translations of otome games. So if you're interested, go here -- http://www.aksysgame...-survey-for-you -- and click the Enter Survey Here link below.

All the thus-far-untranslated games listed in the survey were either published or developed by Idea Factory. I think most are visual novels, but from what I've read on Lijakaca's blog, Wand of Fortune has a bit more complex gameplay. I admit this limits the options... But if you want to communicate with Aksys, then I recommend politely posting on the forum, or sending the company an email.

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 23 September 2010 - 05:08 PM, said:

I recently purchased the Japanese version of Kanon for the Dreamcast...

The Windows version of Kanon was translated a while back, and there's a rough translation patch for the PSP port.

#51 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 29 September 2010 - 04:41 PM, said:

The Windows version of Kanon was translated a while back, and there's a rough translation patch for the PSP port.

Yeah, well aware but why I don't NEED a translation patch or anything. I'll do fine until I hit certain words(God Damn Kanji... ) and then I'll just pull out my dictionary and be fine.

Growing up listening to it all the time, having a Japanese Uncle help teach you and then taking the courses in college and helping to tutor beginners in it has really done wonders of reinforcing Japanese in my head.

Now I am having the lovely task of learning how to crack the region coding on my Dreamcast.

The Oni of Taiyaki

#52 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

Fascinating stuff happening lately...

- A few more VNs which de-emphasize moe or bishoujo are getting released. Aksys released an English version of the mystery story 999 on DS. TLWiki released its translation of Remember11. And there's an equally serious story called Chaos Gateway on XBLA.

- Just days after the final, bug-free English patch for Tokimemo GS, an anonymous group released a complete translation patch for Starry Sky in Spring (all-ages otome game/VN for Windows). That's two fan translations that I never expected to happen, let alone get finished.

- After five years of waiting and wondering, it looks like the retail version of Shira Oka is just days from release. It's available for pre-order on Impulse Driven for about $23. I'm pretty sure it will soon be on paid-download services that accomodate Mac games as well.

- Neko Soft is planning two yuri games. Idoling Alice is scheduled for release this month. Project Lily, the game featured on their site (neko-soft.com), is presumably further off.

#53 User is offline   SupremeKai 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 58

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

Ok a little behind but here i am after watching the Umineko anime for a second time still want more found the visual novels. Here is the thing have 1 thru 4 cause i was able to take the mds files and turn them into iso and then it worked but dl 5 thru 7 but their is no iso files any thoughts on how i can get the rest of the series i know that ep 8 just came out. Also i should have said this before but i am on a mac so their in lies the problem. Thanks for the help
If you ever get lost in the forest, screw it build a house, now you have severely improved your predictimet

#54 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Just finished Act 1 of Kawata Shoujo which is actually really well done and is in good taste ( surprisingly when looking at it's source ).

I also have just finished Tears to Tiara and Snow Sakura and am on the hunt for more romance date sim visual novels. So many out there to choose from...

The Oni of Taiyaki

#55 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Didn't expect much from Katawa, but it had decent writing. Planned for 2011 release.

A rough, partial Loveplus patch has been released. You'll find it in the hack/translation section of the gbatemp.net forums. Same person who headed the TMGS1 fan translation.

This year I'm looking forward to the indie game Winter in Fairbrook.

#56 User is offline   Normandy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59117

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

Ah, visual novels. I've always been meaning to play/read more than I have. My list to date:

Clannad (Haven't finished though.)
Fate/Stay Night
One
Planetarian
Saya no Uta
Umineko (Still only on Ep 2, I need to get back on this one.)
Yume Miru Kusuri

I'm probably missing something, that list looks too short. :unsure:

#57 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:57 AM

View PostTHTR, on 05 January 2011 - 12:08 AM, said:

Ah, visual novels. I've always been meaning to play/read more than I have. My list to date:

Clannad (Haven't finished though.)
Fate/Stay Night
One
Planetarian
Saya no Uta
Umineko (Still only on Ep 2, I need to get back on this one.)
Yume Miru Kusuri

I'm probably missing something, that list looks too short. :unsure:

You played Clannad, Saya no Uta and One ( One being MAJORLY important ). We are thus able to be friends :)

I'm thinking of replaying Kanon since Snow Sakura left me with the taste for more snowy towns, gotta keep my thirst quenched long enough to last to the end of January when the Ore no Imouto VN for PSP comes out, got that on preorder and can't wait to get translating on that bad boy <3

The Oni of Taiyaki

#58 User is offline   Normandy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59117

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:51 PM

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 05 January 2011 - 03:57 AM, said:

You played Clannad, Saya no Uta and One ( One being MAJORLY important ). We are thus able to be friends :)

Hooray, befriending? :lol:

Saya no Uta in particular is one of my favorites. Saya is the most adorable Lovecraftian abomination ever~ :wub:

Also today I started playing Wind: A Breath of Heart, though I'm not very far yet. Anyone else played it?

#59 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

I'm playing something called Yume Miru Kusuri. It's 18+ But it's REALLY REALLY GOOD.

The storyline is touching, the characters I can get into, and it's translated in english :D I cried on one of the paths because it was that touching.

I thought about playing Fate/Stay as well as a few others but dunno yet because trying to find Cancel A format (Hetalia visual novel,) as well as kuro to kin no akanai kagi which is a girl after guys otome game.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#60 User is offline   applekidjosh 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

999 is not only one of the best visual novels I've ever played, it's one of the best stories I've ever experienced. It's truly a masterpiece, and in the end I liked it more than Ever17.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users