• You cannot reply to this topic

Let's talk about Visual Novels

#151 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Feuerwerke: I have noticed that story-focused visual novels made by Japanese companies tend to be lengthy. In order to find short but interesting stories, you might need to focus on what independent groups and freeware creators are making.

View PostFantasia, on 09 April 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

There is also this novel about the last living male on earth? I wanna read it but I can never remember the title.

All three things you mentioned are *graphic novels* (though I prefer the term comics). There are a few visual novels which have an aesthetic similar to comics, but in most other ways, they are different. Read the Wikipedia entry at https://en.wikipedia...ki/Visual_novel if you're curious, and if you have time. Also, I think the comic that you're trying to remember is Y: The Last Man.

#152 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

I don't mind the length, it's just that it keeps me from playing terribly many. But that's okay with me, since school is more important than VNs.

Right now I'm doing the Wakaba route in Katahane (I did Angelina's before)
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#153 User is offline   SargentJY 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62054

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Didn't notice there is a VN discussion here till today Orz
Some VNs I have played:

Riaru Imōto ga Iru Ōizumi-kun no Bāi
Symphonic Rain
Ever17
Kanon
Utawarerumono
Tsukihime
Fate Stay Night
Yume Miru Kusuri
Aiyoku no Eustia
Eden*
Steins;Gate
Dengeki Stryker
Katawa Shoujo
Sharin no Kuni

Cyber Slayer
I am presently playing Cross Channel

Most business VNs take at least ten hours to clear, and to be honest, that's often the space u need to illustrate a story properly. I have tried a couple of indie visual novels last summer, and a common issue is that they try to squeeze a complicated story into one hour reading, which usually results in rushing plot and insufficient character development. And to be honest, since now a days u can even play VN wtill smart phones, it is not that difficult to find time to play a relatively lengthy VN even outside of your room.(I cleared most of the Tsukihime using the time during public transportation time)

And allow me to do a quick advertising here again: I am doing a visual novel panel during ACen on Friday and really hope other VN players/fans can join the panel!
"Now Anime(Visual Novel) may still classed as the niche market these days...but it got such variety...such potential that I am sure will make to the mainstream one day."-ThatDudeInTheSuede

#154 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

I've never figured out how to put a VN on my phone. I don't think it helps that I have a 3rd gen iPhone, but I digress. I'll be playing more over the summer for sure.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#155 User is offline   SargentJY 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 12 April 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

I've never figured out how to put a VN on my phone. I don't think it helps that I have a 3rd gen iPhone, but I digress. I'll be playing more over the summer for sure.

I play it on Android, and there is an app called VNDS that allow you to play a couple.(FSN, Tsukihime, Saya no Uta, Ever17 etc)
I also remember u can buy some visual novel on Apple Store too.

This post has been edited by SargentJY: 13 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

"Now Anime(Visual Novel) may still classed as the niche market these days...but it got such variety...such potential that I am sure will make to the mainstream one day."-ThatDudeInTheSuede

#156 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the info <3
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#157 User is offline   Normandy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59117

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostSargentJY, on 12 April 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

I play it on Android, and there is an app called VNDS that allow you to play a couple.(FSN, Tsukihime, Saya no Uta, Ever17 etc)
I also remember u can buy some visual novel on Apple Store too.

I had not heard of that app before. I may check it out too. I have played a few that I got on the Android app store though. Tears 9, 10 was one that was pretty good.

#158 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

Some interesting news. The person in charge of Seiha Translations has created a Kickstarter in order to justify the time and effort needed to work on Little Witch Romanesque. As far as I know, this is the first time that a fan translation project of a commercial game has been associated with crowdfunding. Since the Seiha Translations group has a good reputation for finishing and releasing patches, and since the company that created the original game ceased operations in 2010, I believe this effort just might succeed.

#159 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Okay so I picked up Saya no Uta at Youmacon and finished it within a couple days. Wow. Just. Wow.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#160 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

Haven't used my PC for many games or VNs recently. It's been difficult because I can usually think of four or five other things to do, and because my computer struggles to run most programs without serious slowdown, including VLC and iTunes.

Sweet Fuse held my attention this year. There were few drawn-out slice of life scenes, and the tone was a pretty good middle ground between "too serious" and "insubstantial." I liked how the characters made a clear first impression but still had secret motivations.

During ACen 2013, there was a Mangagamer panel, and the staff stated that they've struggled to justify the licensing fees for VNs that have anything other than boy x girl(s) pairings. They've been talking about crowd-funding lately (see the slightly NSFW company blog post "A Short Look Back, Part 3"). Maybe that'll push them to license a larger variety of games.

#161 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm playing Dear Drops right now. It's not the best thing I've ever played, but it's pretty cute. Rimu, the drummer, is definitely the best girl but she's one of the two minor girls, so her route is really short. Kind of unfortunate. I'm playing Kanade's route now. She's cute and I like her a lot. Then I'll do Riho's route and that's the end of it for me. (already did Yayoi, ugh such a waste of time and I hated her)

@dorkatlarge This is why everyone should go buy Demon Master Chris. It's a yuri game. I'll be picking it up once I get paid again. It's a shame it's just a download, but hey. Still good.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#162 User is offline   Summoner Ninja 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 64333

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Have any of you ever checked out Zevia Inc? They have a few free games you can play, as well as free demos you can try for games you have to purchase. I really liked Phantom Seeds (free) and the demo I played for Dragon Essence. Some of the grammar in their free games (which I think also happen to be their earlier games) is a little off at times, but not enough to detract from the story. And I haven't seen any issues in the demos of the purchased games I've played. In addition to visual novels they also have a dance dance evolution game you can play for free. I'll link their site below.

http://www.zeiva.net/index.html

#163 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

During ACen 2012, I was wandering through artist alley, and found Zeiva Inc had a booth there. The group was selling at least two of their games on CD-ROMs in nice packages. Some other indie VN groups also attend cons and sell their products. For example, people from Sakevisual were at Mini A-Kon 2014, will attend Dallas All-Con later this spring, and Amelia Con in Florida this fall.

G-Senjou no Maou has quite a positive reputation. But when I started it this morning, it was a slow read. There were a few hints that things were amiss, but there wasn't much conflict. How much of the story is slice of life?

#164 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

I finished Valkyrie Svia recently and I'm working on some of the last of Harukoi Otome. Honestly I think both are terrible. Harukoi has its moments, which is why I'm still working at it, but I honestly can't recommend it.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#165 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

Played through each route of Little Busters last year and loved it. Played up to After Story in Clannad but I'm too confused about how the AS route functions... Played through a couple hours of Steins;Gate until I realized I had made all the wrong choices. D:

There's one very short doujin visual novel that I can't recommend enough, which is Moonshine. So sweet, adorable, touching, all that good stuff.
ACen 2015 cosplay:
Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - 0% (planning stages)
Fem!Slenderman - 30%
Shirahoshi Hime (One Piece) - 50%

#166 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

yay i'm actually reading through Umineko again. Just got to the part where they did an homage to Touhou and NicoNico. I also need to read A Drug That Makes You Dream again. It's a good VN. Also heard good things about Stein's Gate.
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#167 User is offline   Normandy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59117

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 26 December 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

I'm playing Dear Drops right now. It's not the best thing I've ever played, but it's pretty cute. Rimu, the drummer, is definitely the best girl but she's one of the two minor girls, so her route is really short. Kind of unfortunate. I'm playing Kanade's route now. She's cute and I like her a lot. Then I'll do Riho's route and that's the end of it for me. (already did Yayoi, ugh such a waste of time and I hated her)

I couldn't stand Rimu at all. Honestly I couldn't get really into any of the characters in Deardrops. Riho's route was definitely the best, but overall it was a terribly mediocre VN.

My VN progress has been very slow lately due to school. Currently I'm about halfway through ef. There are some stark differences compared to the anime but it's every bit as good.

Also, Dischan Media has set up a Kickstarter to fund two more episodes of Dysfunctional Systems: https://www.kickstar...ctional-systems
I've enjoyed all of their work that I've played so it would be great to see that succeed.

#168 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

View PostNormandy, on 01 March 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

I couldn't stand Rimu at all. Honestly I couldn't get really into any of the characters in Deardrops. Riho's route was definitely the best, but overall it was a terribly mediocre VN.

My VN progress has been very slow lately due to school. Currently I'm about halfway through ef. There are some stark differences compared to the anime but it's every bit as good.

Also, Dischan Media has set up a Kickstarter to fund two more episodes of Dysfunctional Systems: https://www.kickstar...ctional-systems
I've enjoyed all of their work that I've played so it would be great to see that succeed.

I completely disagree. Dear Drops wasn't perfect or amazing, but I felt like it was solid and overall I enjoyed it a lot. I really liked all of the characters except Yayoi (who is utterly awful). Kanade's route was pretty badly written, too, but both Riho and Rimu had great routes and overall I like the story a lot.

But then it's easy for me to connect with violinists.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#169 User is offline   SargentJY 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

Glad to see this thread is still alive after one year haha
So since my last post, I have managed to cleared a couple more games,including:

Cross Channel
Dangan Ronpa 1 & 2
Hakuouki
Tenshin Ranman
Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku wo(Promise under the Blue Sky)
Dear Drop
Steins; Gate Darling of Loving Vow(Fan Disk

Sakura War 1(Okay this one is questionable
Corpse Party(Also kinda questioable

I am presently playing Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no

As last year, I am running a panel about visual novel, so please join the fun if you are fellow fan!(Panel name is My Visual Novel Can't Be This Fun)

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users