• You cannot reply to this topic

Let's talk about Visual Novels

#121 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

If you like cute, slightly supernatural yet slice of life harem stories, then that's what you will find in the first two Da Capo visual novels. I can't call them innovative, and I didn't find their writing especially good or bad... but I did enjoy both. Mangagamer sells Da Capo 1 and 2 in both paid-download and disc formats. You might pay a little more for a physical copy, but you'll also get a soundtrack and a small art book.

In the news, there's some interesting new options in English. Xseed has recently released a translated version of the horror story Corpse Party on PSN. A group has just finished its translation of the worksafe freeware visual novel Heartful Kareshi (which is accurately described as a "Bird's Love" story). And veteran fan Flowerthief has released a version of his game Heartache 101 which is billed as complete, though future versions may yet add more content.

#122 User is offline   Normandy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59117

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 21 November 2011 - 05:19 AM, said:

Some years ago, I read the first two X-change VNs. Unfortunately, I didn't have many positive things to say about them.

I've only played the first one, but I'd nonetheless agree with this.

I also just started on Aoi Shiro.

#123 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

I ordered Da Capo 2 and Casual Romance.

Going to clear the final character I have on Mirai Nostalgia, play a little of the OreImo VN on my PSP while I wait for whats in the mail.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#124 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:08 AM

There is a new English VN that I discovered called (P)lanets.

I'm personally hyped over Clock Zero and Clock Zero portable.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#125 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 26 November 2011 - 02:08 AM, said:

There is a new English VN that I discovered called (P)lanets.

I'm personally hyped over Clock Zero and Clock Zero portable.

I read (P)lanets, and thought it was a pretty good freeware story. There were some scenes which seemed troperiffic at best, or tacked-on at worst. Also, it looks like they used some copyright-free background art, because I recognized several backdrops which I'd also seen in Heartache 101. Finally, there was one sympathetic character who was apparently rejected by his family, but he didn't have much of a role in the story. Still, I don't have many reasons to complain.

It looks like Ex-Fansubber Hinano is already talking about Clock Zero in a spoiler-filled review.

Finally, if anyone's supporting the indie game community, then look into Winter Wolves' latest reverse harem game, Flower Shop: Winter in Fairbrook. It includes simulation gameplay and a mandatory gardening mini-game. Free demo, full Windows/Mac/Linux version will cost about $20 US. It was delayed for several months, but the creators are openly talking about what held it back.

#126 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 26 November 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

I read (P)lanets, and thought it was a pretty good freeware story. There were some scenes which seemed troperiffic at best, or tacked-on at worst. Also, it looks like they used some copyright-free background art, because I recognized several backdrops which I'd also seen in Heartache 101. Finally, there was one sympathetic character who was apparently rejected by his family, but he didn't have much of a role in the story. Still, I don't have many reasons to complain.

It looks like Ex-Fansubber Hinano is already talking about Clock Zero in a spoiler-filled review.

Finally, if anyone's supporting the indie game community, then look into Winter Wolves' latest reverse harem game, Flower Shop: Winter in Fairbrook. It includes simulation gameplay and a mandatory gardening mini-game. Free demo, full Windows/Mac/Linux version will cost about $20 US. It was delayed for several months, but the creators are openly talking about what held it back.

You have a link for the Flower shop site?

If it's ever released I'm going to buy it. I love supporting indie games.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#127 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Just finished Yin Yang X-Change Alternative, Heart De Roommate and Da Capo 2. Out of those three only Da Capo 2 was a truly enjoyable experience. Will be looking into more Visual Novels from Circus.
The Oni of Taiyaki

#128 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:02 AM

Looking back on 2011, this was a good year. A lot of interesting and even respectable games, both independent and commercial. The list of what I liked in 2011 includes some western visual novels -- Heartache 101, (P)lanets, and Magical Diary. It includes two DS game fan translations -- the second Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side game, and LovePlus. And it includes some professional translations -- a new English version of Edelweiss, and the iOS story Tears 9, 10.

Regarding TaiyakiOni's comment... I remember liking Heart de Roommate, but that was about six years ago. I'm not sure if I would still find it humorous or compelling now.

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 27 November 2011 - 12:36 AM, said:

You have a link for the Flower shop site?

Since the last post, Flower Shop: Winter in Fairbrook has been released. Winter Wolves' site for the specific game is http://www.winterwol...infairbrook.htm . Sorry for the delay, should've been paying more attention to this forum thread.

#129 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

And now we have the famous amateur VN Katawa Shoujo out. Went through Hanako's route first and found it very well-done
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#130 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:28 AM

Huh, so it is out. *Downloads and damns himself in the process.*
The Oni of Taiyaki

#131 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Just picked up "My Girlfriend is the President". Looking good so far.
The Oni of Taiyaki

#132 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:35 AM

Just yesterday, Aksys Games released its translation of Hakuouki for the PSP. It definitely stands out among console games available in English. When was the last time you saw a romance game / visual novel get a full retail release in English on a console? The company is definitely taking a risk with this one, since barely anyone bought Sakura Wars 5 for PS2/Wii. Also, there's a number of reverse harem stories/games on computers and iOS devices... but we're still waiting for Mangagamer to give the genre a chance, and we still don't know if JAST will actually license Starry Sky. That said, I'll probably buy Hakuouki later today.

And speaking of unusual products, there's now a full version of Hatoful Boyfriend in English. It's being sold on the worksafe section of DLSite for a modest amount of money. I assume it adds content to the previous freeware version, but I don't yet know what has been added.

#133 User is offline   Shotgun Ninja 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60357

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:36 AM

Welp, I'm that guy who got into VNs from Katawa Shoujo, and came across this thread looking for more after 100%. I will be using this thread as a starting point to begin my immersion into the visual novel genre... any suggestions as to where I should start?

I've already prepped with anime, covering F/SN, Clannad, and (starting) Kanon, so the Type Moon and Key ones are on my list, but any other recommendations for starters, or warnings (not spoilers, please) about which to go for first, would be greatly appreciated.

#134 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

F/SN is a great Visual Novel and should be one of the ones at the top of your list if you plan to play through all three routes, Stay Night, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel.

I'd also recommend the Da Capo games if you're looking for Eroge VN's.

I'm also going to suggest Hourglass of Summer and Phantom of the Inferno for Visual Novels that aren't Eroge ( Well, the translated version of Phantom on Dvd has the Eroge scenes edited out ).
The Oni of Taiyaki

#135 User is offline   Normandy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostShotgun Ninja, on 22 February 2012 - 03:36 AM, said:

Welp, I'm that guy who got into VNs from Katawa Shoujo, and came across this thread looking for more after 100%. I will be using this thread as a starting point to begin my immersion into the visual novel genre... any suggestions as to where I should start?

I've already prepped with anime, covering F/SN, Clannad, and (starting) Kanon, so the Type Moon and Key ones are on my list, but any other recommendations for starters, or warnings (not spoilers, please) about which to go for first, would be greatly appreciated.

True Remembrance is also really good.

#136 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Since its debut, the English version of Hakuouki has sold about 35000 copies (according to data publicly available on VGChartz.com). Considering that it's a niche product for a system that's not known for having good software sales, I'm not sure if that figure is good or bad.

As for Shotgun Ninja's question... If you're looking for some quality freeware VNs in English, there's more besides True Remembrance. Consider the following:

* A Midsummer Day's Resonance. This short story was translated by the people at insani.org around 2005. Like a number of other examples which I'll name, it does not have any harem or NSFW content. Give it a shot.

* Crimsonness. The tags for this VN on the Visual Novel Database tell you what to expect. They include "No Character Sprites," "No Saves," and "Nonsense." Another memorable fan translation from Insani.

* Heartache 101 ~Sour into Sweet~. A complex harem game available for Windows computers. It was designed to resemble the simulation-driven games which used to be common on Japanese consoles and computers back in the 90s. Also, if you're willing to spare some time and effort, the game is moddable. You can create your own characters and stories, and implement them into the main game.

* RE:Alistair. If you're interested in a reverse harem game with lots of simulation gameplay, this is a good start. Or for a little more interactivity, try Pacthesis' free Flash game Chrono Days Sim Date.

* Digital: A Love Story. In this story, it's 1988. Your main character uses an Amiga to hack mainframes. If you like this one, check out the creator's other works, incluing Heart of Fire (a unique take on 8-bit/16-bit RPGs).

If you want some more details, or specific story/gameplay features, just say so.

This post has been edited by dorkatlarge: 26 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

#137 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

God help me I just preordered a copy of the new School Days release.

I also have a preorder on We Love Master which is supposed to be coming out in the next couple weeks or so.

And just ordered the "Come See Me Tonight 1 & 2" set.

I'm buying games a lot now because of my philosophy on media. If I want more of it I need to buy it so that the people releasing it will release more.

That and I am addicted to owning hard copies of games. Absolutely addicted.

This post has been edited by TaiyakiOni: 08 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

The Oni of Taiyaki

#138 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Started Little Busters a few weeks ago.

With news of the Visual Novel getting an Anime Adaptation I now want to finish the game before the anime comes out.
The Oni of Taiyaki

#139 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

Not sure if you heard about it, Taiyaki Oni, but Aaeru wrote an article on why there was no anime adaptation of Little Busters shortly after the VN was released.

I was glad to hear that you're willing to buy VNs. I've had similar thoughts, and I've made efforts to purchase visual novels and other niche products. But at the same time, I'm not sure just how much of an impact my efforts are making. Obscure stuff stays obscure, and it's easy to be cynical about the current state of licensing.

An unrelated note: here's something which a person named Tailsfanatic developed over 24 hours that may amuse you. It's called True Love: Presidents Edi.

#140 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 26 March 2012 - 03:06 AM, said:

Not sure if you heard about it, Taiyaki Oni, but Aaeru wrote an article on why there was no anime adaptation of Little Busters shortly after the VN was released.

An anime adaptation HAS been hinted at and unofficially announced, an official announcement is due to be made on April 10th.

Links:
http://ambivalen.wor...e-announcement/
http://www.alafista....tion-announced/
http://kaminarianime...nime-confirmed/
http://www.moetron.c...ncement-leaked/
The Oni of Taiyaki

#141 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Now playing DearDrops.

The menu music alone has captivated me for an hour let alone starting the actual game.

Here we go!
The Oni of Taiyaki

#142 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62574

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

Fate Stay Night - Finished two routes, will restart and finish Heaven's Feel one day

Saya no Uta - Finished the romantic end, will restart to finish the other two one day.

Yume Miru Kusuri - Laying in my D: drive for quite a while, will start.

#143 User is offline   Normandy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hmmm, it's been a while since I last posted in this thread.

Right now I'm slowing working my way through Katahane. The story didn't really draw me in at first, but since I got to the Kurohane chapter it's become much more interesting. And there's quite a few adorable characters and couplings~ :wub:

#144 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I've played a couple of short doujin titles plus a bit of Key's works. I finished Little Busters! over Winter break, and I'm almost to the After Story part of Clannad. After this I'm going to continue playing Ever17 and Planetarian.

(Little Busters was awesome, for the record.)
ACen 2015 cosplay:
Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - 0% (planning stages)
Fem!Slenderman - 30%
Shirahoshi Hime (One Piece) - 50%

#145 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

It's difficult to look forward to fan projects and translations. Why? Because there is always the chance that the creators will give up, and the VN will be left unfinished. For instance, there were plans for a freeware game called RockRobin, and it had an impressive demo... but the last update was in mid-2012, and I can't access its website anymore. And there have been times where I purchased a game while waiting for its planned fan translation to be completed, but it remained unfinished.

So yeah, I'm trying to be optimistic but cautious about the following:

* The secret project from Seiha Translations. This group has already translated a variety of complex games, and it finishes just about everything that it starts.
* PersonA ~Opera Za no Kaijin~ (adult GxB story, fan translation just getting started)
* Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3rd Story (translation is still ongoing, according to the gokusaishiki.net forum)
* Starswirl Academy (BxG story which may include 18+ content, and characters loosely based on a well-known cartoon)
* Princess Battles (from Nekomura Games, described as a "card based raising sim")
* Cradle Song (from Dischan Media, the people who created Juniper's Knot)

#146 User is offline   Normandy 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 30 January 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

* Cradle Song (from Dischan Media, the people who created Juniper's Knot)

This is one I'm looking forward to as well. If they do as good of a job with this as they did with Juniper's Knot it will definitely be worth the wait.

#147 User is offline   MarkVanPerry 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 49488

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Recently finished Little Busters and it blew me away. I haven't gotten around to Clannad yet, because I've seen the anime (not sure if it's still worth a playthrough). Currently working through Rewrite and loving it. I finished Chi's and Kotori's routes so far.

#148 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

I really love Persepolis and V for Vendetta.
I want to read watchmen.

There is also this novel about the last living male on earth? I wanna read it but I can never remember the title.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

#149 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

I love VNs but they take long enough that I haven't played many. I've played some of Fate/Stay Night (the whole Fate route and almost all of UBW), and Katahane. Anyone looking for a cute yuri game that doesn't mind 18+ stuff should check Katahane out. It's not really a game to go to for the sex scenes, but if you don't mind their presence it's super cute.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#150 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29662

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Damn I love me some visual novels. So much so that I'm working on one ~<3

Click the "morphE" link in my sig to check it out. Higurashi is my biggest inspiration.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users