• You cannot reply to this topic

Nintendo 3DS

#61 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

Super Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus look like winners to me, so sooner than later I will buy one and I do love first party Nintendo games. Just right now, I'm not all that impressed by what is currently out. I love Ocarina of Time, but I own a copy already and have complete it many times on N64. Maybe if it joins the "million sellers club" or whatever it's called I'll rebuy it, it was real fun.

Resident Evil Revelations also sounds promising. Again if I had more money to blow, I'd buy one today for the 20 games deal, but sadly I don't. :P
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#62 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

Nintendo won't be done til they alienate all their fanbase. (First Xenoblade, now this. Recently speaking of course. there is the "hardcore fans who always have stayed by our side? Naw, we got soccer moms and grandmas now")

Good thing I didn't buy one at launch. What a huge slap to the face to those that did. (sorry 20 free games isn't really cutting it)

The 3DS isn't looking to good right now. It's taking a long time for any decent (NON PORT or REMAKE) to be either announced or released. Nintendo just fails with the 3rd Party.

This post has been edited by XenoBlade: 30 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#63 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 30 July 2011 - 07:34 PM, said:

Nintendo won't be done til they alienate all their fanbase. (First Xenoblade, now this. Recently speaking of course. there is the "hardcore fans who always have stayed by our side? Naw, we got soccer moms and grandmas now")

Good thing I didn't buy one at launch. What a huge slap to the face to those that did. (sorry 20 free games isn't really cutting it)

The 3DS isn't looking to good right now. It's taking a long time for any decent (NON PORT or REMAKE) to be either announced or released. Nintendo just fails with the 3rd Party.

I agree for most part. I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan like I mentioned (I feel the need to play all the Zeldas and Marios) but even Nintendo is getting on my nerves. The Wii; in my personal opinion, was an utter let-down. Wii Sports and Boom Blox are two of the only few games I've played that really utilize this whole motion technology thing. I'll give Just Dance and Wii Sports credit for being decent work-outs as well, but mostly every other game on the system could have utilized a Gamecube controller or Classic Controller. That and the dated graphics along encouraged almost every third party developer to make a lazy port of a PS2 game or something of that variation.

On the 3DS side of things, while I don't have any solid facts to back it, I have a feeling of multiple DS models and even the DSi being hyped as a next-gen system killed some people's excitement. For the 3DS, while the launch didn't contain any real must-have 3DS-only experiences, I personally think the third party developers put more heart into their releases than Nintendo themselves did. I'll admit Nintendogs isn't my kind of a game and if you like it, that's fine, but I think we can all agree it is not a system seller. I think they should have waited at least for Zelda to be ready or some better titles to be out before it launched.

IGN is proclaiming "Doom and Gloom" in one article: My link but I don't think so... yet! The price drop can help them and as long as they have other quality titles coming out without long waits in between, I think momentum will pick up. It isn't good that even ports (Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D for example) are getting delayed.
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#64 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:49 AM

View PostSTVO, on 30 July 2011 - 10:56 PM, said:

I agree for most part. I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan like I mentioned (I feel the need to play all the Zeldas and Marios) but even Nintendo is getting on my nerves. The Wii; in my personal opinion, was an utter let-down. Wii Sports and Boom Blox are two of the only few games I've played that really utilize this whole motion technology thing. I'll give Just Dance and Wii Sports credit for being decent work-outs as well, but mostly every other game on the system could have utilized a Gamecube controller or Classic Controller. That and the dated graphics along encouraged almost every third party developer to make a lazy port of a PS2 game or something of that variation.

On the 3DS side of things, while I don't have any solid facts to back it, I have a feeling of multiple DS models and even the DSi being hyped as a next-gen system killed some people's excitement. For the 3DS, while the launch didn't contain any real must-have 3DS-only experiences, I personally think the third party developers put more heart into their releases than Nintendo themselves did. I'll admit Nintendogs isn't my kind of a game and if you like it, that's fine, but I think we can all agree it is not a system seller. I think they should have waited at least for Zelda to be ready or some better titles to be out before it launched.

IGN is proclaiming "Doom and Gloom" in one article: My link but I don't think so... yet! The price drop can help them and as long as they have other quality titles coming out without long waits in between, I think momentum will pick up. It isn't good that even ports (Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D for example) are getting delayed.

If anything Nintendo puts more effort into their own stuff than anyone else does. And quite frankly, has everyone just forgotten how badly the DS and PSP's launches were? Seriously, they put up FAR inferior numbers to the 3DS in their first year and they had a HOLIDAY SEASON in that year. The 3DS is actually doing quite fine and with the holidays approaching with a TON of Nintendo's big first-party games they'll be laughing in the faces of knee-jerk twits like IGN.
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#65 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

170$ price drop is nice.

Now I might actually buy it.

When there are actual good games on it.

Wait, nevermind. I won't be getting it.
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#66 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 03 August 2011 - 03:49 AM, said:

If anything Nintendo puts more effort into their own stuff than anyone else does. And quite frankly, has everyone just forgotten how badly the DS and PSP's launches were? Seriously, they put up FAR inferior numbers to the 3DS in their first year and they had a HOLIDAY SEASON in that year. The 3DS is actually doing quite fine and with the holidays approaching with a TON of Nintendo's big first-party games they'll be laughing in the faces of knee-jerk twits like IGN.

You are right on the weak launches of those systems. I will give the DS ONE THING over the 3DS in terms of launch: Super Mario 64 was a much better 1st party choice than Pilot Wings or Nintendogs! No more half-hearted launched Nintendo, please?!? Nintendo also didn't drop from $150 to a lower price until DS Lite came out, so Nintendo couldn't be too disappointed in sales back then. One thing 3DS will do that DS did is receive great first party and third party games in the coming months. Once that happens, I'm sure they'll be in a better position. Hopefully at least, Nintendo's president took a salary cut for this price drop!

View PostRukariou, on 03 August 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

170$ price drop is nice.

Now I might actually buy it.

When there are actual good games on it.

Wait, nevermind. I won't be getting it.

Burn!!!

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#67 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:34 PM

so DS was a better launch then the 3DS becuase of a N64 remake? hypocritical mush?
ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#68 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 03 August 2011 - 03:49 AM, said:

Except for the fact that Nintendo ITSELF is disappointed in the 3DS sales after the first couple weeks.
http://www.wired.com...endo-3ds-sales/

The Vita has all the hype and the 3DS has nothing but disappointment. Nintendo felt desperate to try to break up that momentum Sony was building by slashing the price and giving early adopters a ton of free games.

This post has been edited by wrexness: 03 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#69 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

umm the 3DS price drop was comming, everyone know it was comming, hell some people thought it was comming at E3 (that will be desperate). smart people know the 3DS won't be 250$ before christmas. and with vita comming out in 6 months to spring for nintendo, itgive them room to build the libeary.

but this forum turn the sony hacking thread into a nintendo batching funfest becuase how the media is soooo meen to poor sony so i know that this place should just be a sony fansite.

#70 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:07 AM

View PostVisadin the insane, on 03 August 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

so DS was a better launch then the 3DS becuase of a N64 remake? hypocritical mush?

Well, in MY personal opinion, yeah. They actually added more content to the game (you don't even start off as Mario, you start the whole game off as Yoshi) among many other additions to a game that was highly successful in the past proved it did make a better launch. If you're a Nintendogs or Pilot Wings guy (Pilot Wings is an alright game, not a die hard must-have game in my opinion though), that's cool, they're more of a rental if at all for myself. Remember the Nintendo 64's launch? Only two games: Pilotwings and Mario 64, it sold like CRAZY on the holiday season, while I don't have/I'm not going to get the hard statistics to prove it, I think most of the world can thank Super Mario 64 in partial to it. Now let's pretend that Nintendogs existed around the N64 days. Do you think Nintendogs and Pilot Wings would have sold the N64?

I took a look at both the 3DS and DS launch lists, and you know what, 3DS did have an overall stronger launch, I will agree with you there. I guess I was speaking more from personal opinion about quality first party titles, but honestly in my opinion Mario 64 DS looks like it's more worth it to me than Pilot Wings or Nintendogs. Street Fighter 4 is a great launch title choice as well, but honestly, how many of us have already picked up the game on PS3 or Xbox 360 already?

If you also read what I have said, I think the 3DS WILL get better. I honestly didn't buy a DS at launch until it had more must-have games come out as well. Honestly, had Kid Icarus or Super Mario 3D Land came out launch day with the 3DS, I might have scooped the money up and bought the system for that game alone. I know not everyone is that way, but I think it has been proven in time that one real great game can get people to buy a system at launch. I think 3DS might have had some good games at launch, it didn't have anything that blew my mind. Again, my opinion.

View PostVisadin the insane, on 03 August 2011 - 11:02 PM, said:

umm the 3DS price drop was comming, everyone know it was comming, hell some people thought it was comming at E3 (that will be desperate). smart people know the 3DS won't be 250$ before christmas. and with vita comming out in 6 months to spring for nintendo, itgive them room to build the libeary.

but this forum turn the sony hacking thread into a nintendo batching funfest becuase how the media is soooo meen to poor sony so i know that this place should just be a sony fansite.

Well if people thought it was coming, perhaps that explains slow sales? :mellow: If that is true, it wasn't wise for Nintendo to let people feel that way, perhaps they should have worked on getting some of their bigger titles out a little earlier? Also; while I mean no offense, why did you purchase a 3DS right away if you knew a price drop was coming? Let's all face it, slow sales and the fear that Sony PSVita could steal their momentum led to a price drop. I think once 3DS does officially hit $169 and commercials roll out, we will see a major increase in sales to a point where Sony better think fast on what to do.

Sony's launch from the looks of it so far (http://www.geek.com/...ounced-2011067/) seems decent. Big names from Sony themselves and then some from the third parities (Street Fighter X Tekken) are what it needs. I'd like to add I'm not a Nintendo hater. I have owned practically every Nintendo system, love a majority of their first party titles, etc. Sony can be dumn (see the PS3's launch and the whole PSN being hacked ordeal.) As an owner of all three current generation consoles, I will say Sony has impressed me the most. If you like Nintendo the most, great, my personal feeling is the 3DS Launch wasn't too impressive and right now the only games currently on the market that I'd buy are some of the Virtual Console titles, Zelda Ocarina 3D (not guaranteed for me, unlike Mario 64 DS, this one has no new content), and then Resident Evil Mercenaries. Again, my opinion you don't have to agree.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#71 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:15 AM

i give it to you that sm64ds have more to offer for the 2nd playthough, but it also lost the analog stick which was the biggest selling point of the game back in 1996.

anyways i agree that the OoT remake added only a boss mode, but IMO remakes are fine if a. the game is old like OoT b. updates features like the better multiplayer in starfox 64 ds and the stuff in mario 64 ds, and c. the game had low sales and the remake is being uesed to make more people play the game, like the good and evil remake as well as the ICO/SOTC remakes. i never understand remaking halo or hell i puked when i found out their remaking RE4 for HD, halo i can somewhat get (even though the online will be copy/paste from reach) but RE4 is still new, it only 6 years bloody old, people complane about OoT remake but at least the game is over a decade old and there are most likely young kids who never played it in 1998 due to being young or not born. you can pick up RE4at a gamestop used bin, screw you can buy it on on a current system right now.

that is my rant.

XenoBlade: well the good news is at least there is signs of a GBA VC comming soon. BTW XenoBlade is coming to the EU, i honestly think nintendo is puniching us for electing bone heads for our government.

This post has been edited by Visadin the insane: 04 August 2011 - 03:18 AM

#72 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:21 PM

View PostVisadin the insane, on 04 August 2011 - 03:15 AM, said:

i give it to you that sm64ds have more to offer for the 2nd playthough, but it also lost the analog stick which was the biggest selling point of the game back in 1996.

anyways i agree that the OoT remake added only a boss mode, but IMO remakes are fine if a. the game is old like OoT b. updates features like the better multiplayer in starfox 64 ds and the stuff in mario 64 ds, and c. the game had low sales and the remake is being uesed to make more people play the game, like the good and evil remake as well as the ICO/SOTC remakes. i never understand remaking halo or hell i puked when i found out their remaking RE4 for HD, halo i can somewhat get (even though the online will be copy/paste from reach) but RE4 is still new, it only 6 years bloody old, people complane about OoT remake but at least the game is over a decade old and there are most likely young kids who never played it in 1998 due to being young or not born. you can pick up RE4at a gamestop used bin, screw you can buy it on on a current system right now.

that is my rant.

XenoBlade: well the good news is at least there is signs of a GBA VC comming soon. BTW XenoBlade is coming to the EU, i honestly think nintendo is puniching us for electing bone heads for our government.

Agreed on the Resident Evil 4 remake, they should have waited awhile on that or at least do a giant HD collection of Resident Evils 1-4. Personally, I would be more than willing to shell out $60 for an all-new Resident Evil 2 remake that plays like 4 with spiffy new HD (perhaps 3D for PS3 or 3DS) graphics.

Back to 3DS talk, Nintendo definitely needs to make the GBA Virtual Console available to America at some point! There's plenty of games I'd love to buy and play again. Btw, any 3DS owners have Link's Awakening? How is the 3D on it? I'd rebuy it either way just for the fact I loved that game and it was the first Zelda I beat.

Resident Evil Revelations is a 3DS game I'm very excited for.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#73 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

View PostSTVO, on 28 July 2011 - 08:10 PM, said:

I hope the GBA Virtual Console comes to 3DS at some point. That or at least bring out Yoshi's Island and Star Fox out to the Wii Virtual Console before they stop supporting it! :P

Really, I am very tempted to buy a Nintendo 3DS right now for that awesome 20 games deal but with my vacation coming up, I really can't blow that money right now. :(

They said 10 NES and 10 GBA games but have only listed 5 each, here's what they have so far:

NES
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
The Legend of Zelda

GameBoy Advance
Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Metroid Fusion
WarioWare Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

No Golden sun 2 or Gunstar heroes. Me sad. :(

Even with the price drop I still don't know if I should get it because of region lock.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#74 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:50 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 04 August 2011 - 08:36 PM, said:

No Golden sun 2 or Gunstar heroes. Me sad. :(

Even with the price drop I still don't know if I should get it because of region lock.

They COULD possibly show up, but nothing confirmed. I wouldn't expect Gunstar Heroes though, that's published by Sega, I think it will only be games published/developed by Nintendo.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#75 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:16 PM

The DS was lame for the first year with the much more powerful and sleeker PSP rolling around the corner. The ugly design didn't help and they're were pretty much no games besides SM64 and Mario Kart DS.
It's very much similar to what's unfolding now.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#76 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

I wish everyone would follow the Sega Dreamcast launch. The system didn't stand a chance with Sega's many failures/past mistakes, but Bernie Stolar did his best to try to get people's attention and I applaud him for his efforts. 18 titles good mix of Sega and third party games!

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#77 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

View PostSTVO, on 05 August 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

I wish everyone would follow the Sega Dreamcast launch. The system didn't stand a chance with Sega's many failures/past mistakes, but Bernie Stolar did his best to try to get people's attention and I applaud him for his efforts. 18 titles good mix of Sega and third party games!

Follow that examples for the games, but for nothing else.

#78 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

Touchè, but the marketing was good for Dreamcast. Again though, with the flops of Sega CD, 32X, and even Saturn (except in Japan, I heard it did decent there), Dreamcast just didn't stand a chance.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#79 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

View PostSTVO, on 05 August 2011 - 02:25 PM, said:

Touchè, but the marketing was good for Dreamcast. Again though, with the flops of Sega CD, 32X, and even Saturn (except in Japan, I heard it did decent there), Dreamcast just didn't stand a chance.

We had a similar debate on atlus forums and here about the Dreamcast.

I Think Viver pointed out it was bad marketing in the USA and past mistakes that caused it to be final nail in coffin for Sega. Not 100% sure. I said that if it was backwards compatible with the Saturn it would have last longer :lol:

Its a borderline internet backlash topic, since some fanboys blame Sony for the failure.

Oh but on topic, is the 3ds 150, 175, or 190 now? Also what do the games typically run? I can't use google right now and trying to compare prices.

Hoping that Gunstar heroes for the gba gets the same treatment as Phantasy star on the Wii as dlc for the 3ds.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#80 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 06 August 2011 - 09:55 AM, said:

I Think Viver pointed out it was bad marketing in the USA and past mistakes that caused it to be final nail in coffin for Sega. Not 100% sure. I said that if it was backwards compatible with the Saturn it would have last longer :lol:

Its a borderline internet backlash topic, since some fanboys blame Sony for the failure.

Oh but on topic, is the 3ds 150, 175, or 190 now? Also what do the games typically run? I can't use google right now and trying to compare prices.

Hoping that Gunstar heroes for the gba gets the same treatment as Phantasy star on the Wii as dlc for the 3ds.

Don't want to go to off-topic, but I'll be brief. I agree backwards comparability could have helped but Saturn was performing poorly as is in America (don't get me started on their marketing!) As for Dreamcast, I saw ads everywhere in America! TV, print, internet, I believe a special or at least a brief segment dedicated to it on MTV! My opinion, customers were tired of being betrayed AND the juggernaut known as the PS2. Wish to continue discussion? Send me a PM or let's start a Sega thread!

As for DS, it's $249 right now until August 12th (6 days away.) I think games are typically $34.99 to $49.99 (pricey!) Anyone who knows for sure please intervene! Also, let's just hope Gunstar Heroes comes to 3DSin the first place. :) GBA Virtual console isn't official yet, lol.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#81 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 06 August 2011 - 09:55 AM, said:

Thank you. Yeah, it was mostly due to poor marketing, as well as the fact that Sega rushed the console out without DVD support (its GD-roms could only hold a gig, vs 4.7 gigs for a DVD-rom), and a big killer was the lack of support from EA. Piracy also comes to mind, but honestly it was a very small factor since people were uninformed about its lack of protection. (hell, even some happy Dreamcast owners I told about it recently didn't know)

Make no mistake, the Dreamcast's launch was known for historically being the most successful console debut (unless one of the "current three" succeeded it, but I haven't heard of this) with a strong lineup of launch titles, but again, Sega consistently sucked at marketing consoles in the US ever since the Sega CD add-on. It's like the Dreamcast launch on 9/9/99 (still a holiday for many owners) was a fluke before Sega snapped out of it and remembered that they don't like money.

The system lived on in Japan for years to come, with its last commercial release in 2007. Many of its formerly Japan-only exclusives were ported to other systems and localized (examples: Shenmue II, Ikaruga, Rez, Triggerheart Exelica, Chaos Field). That said, I love my DC and Saturn, but I realize I'm in the minority. :lol:

Sorry for the off-topic tangent/ recap. To get back on topic... The 3DS is a surprising failure for Nintendo. The Gamecube's commercial failure and lack of strong third-party support wasn't too surprising, and the Wii's plethora of shovelware isn't exactly shocking, either. But handhelds? Nintendo has been pretty consistent with the success of their portables, with the notable exception of the Game Boy Micro. (which was just a small GBA, not a whole new piece of hardware like the 3DS)

It's no surprise that a $250 handheld which gives about 1/3 of its users headaches sold poorly, bur rather, the fact that Nintendo thought this was a good idea. I'd honestly expect something like this from Sony (as much as I love my PSP, it had a horrible first couple of years and isn't exactly going strong now despite their effort with almost yearly reissues like the slim 2000/3000 model and the Go).

I'll probably buy a 3DS when it inevitably drops to $150 and gets at least a few titles that I simply can't live without (sort of like how Contra 4 and Bangai-O Spirits, along with a strong library including Meteos, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, a few Bomberman titles, and two Castlevanias at the time added up to seal the deal on my purchase of a DS Lite). Until then... here's hoping this new toy and its commercial failure thus far will be a lesson for Nintendo.

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 06 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#82 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

STVO: Are you kidding? I love Sega! I used to buy all of their systems until the Sega Saturn. We had a simliar denate that just turned into the blame game on the Atlus forums, well mostly blaming Sony, not nintendo for everything. After that I was tired of saying 'Dreamcast.' So no I'm totally done. If I do make a Sega thread it's going to be a shout out. If you guys want to complain about Dreamcast go ahead but I won't be invovled in that mess again :lol:

I do know if I could play shining force III on the dreamcast, I would have dished out any amount of money to play it :3

I have to agree with Viver, I can't image paying 250 dollars for the system (I can get a 360 for that much,) plus paying about 40-50 dollars for a game? And I know I would want more than one game too! Not only that but I need glasses and the idea that the 3D might not only make me dizzy, I have emetophobia so this is a big no no, but also might make my vision bad?

I just wish Overclock was on the DS lite than the 3DS.

Nintedo is really pushing the gun with this and releasing the Wii U whatchamacallit device recently. It's like they are trying to get the people's money. Even though the NGP has issues, it doesn't seem like it's bad as the 3DS so far. And I used to be a Nintendo fan.

I personally love my PSP and there is only a few reasons why I still play my ds lite:

Spoiler

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#83 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

I'm a little occupied right now but would like to let you know I just made a Sega discussion thread. My responses to the Sega stuff will be there. I do have some stuff to say in response to the 3DS comments, but I gotta run. :o

EDIT: Ok just got a little free time to speak, I guess not too much to say.

Fuj: I love Sega! They just keep making stupid mistakes, more on that in Sega thread. I also have a PSP but I bought it from a friend for $50 to acquire a few games I can't get elsewhere (the MGS portable games and I thought the God of War games until they had the HD PS3 collection announcement!!!) PSP doesn't hold a candle to DS though, not even in third party games. I could be dead wrong, but I think history will repeat for 3DS and PSVita, though Nintendo is off to a bad start.

As for the 3DS concept, I think it was cool. The idea of 3D without glasses is awesome to me. Only problems for me were the high ticketed price, the fact I bought a DSi two weeks before the announcement (I don't think I'm alone on this, am I???), and lack of great games. I hope they turn it around, I really do.

This post has been edited by STVO: 07 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#84 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

The Ambassador Program ends at Midnight, if you have a 3DS and haven't logged on yet for the program, I think you should get on it!

Now for those of us who haven't bought one yet, Gamestop has a deal from August 12th-14th. http://goo.gl/6DJun

Trade in your DS Lite or newer model (DSI/DSI XL) and pay only $99 for a 3DS! I'm going to look at some 360/Wii/PS3/etc. games and trade my DSi in for one most likely tomorrow! Oh yeah, you need a Power-up card which I think is $15/year which isn't too bad, so most likely I'll do this. Some food for thought!

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#85 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 60057

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:06 PM

Although I got my DS earlier in the week, I wonder if it really is any DS model and get 3DS for $99. They're sneaky sometimes, and might give you less for a DS Lite.

Toys R Us has a few 3DS games for $19.99, but nothing too interesting besides Ghost Recon. It got decent reviews at least :/ Kind of wish that I jumped on the Best Buy Blazblue for $20. Some people seem to like it, but all reviews seem to say there's slow down. Doesn't help I play fast characters too :/ On the other hand...no worries about me breaking my 3DS playing the game :D

#86 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

The only game currently out that I want is Zelda: Ocarania of Time, but it's a bit much in price right now IMO. I'll get some Virtual Console games and still have Zelda: Spirit Tracks to complete, so hopefully by the time I finish that and some other titles, some good 3DS games will be out that are new.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#87 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

Here is some clarification on the trade in offer at GS.

Get a 3DS for as low as $99 when you trade your old DS!

Trade a DSi XL, get a new 3DS for $99.99
Trade a DSi, get a new 3DS for $109.99
Trade DS Lite get a new 3DS for $119.99
Trade original DS get a new 3DS for $129.99

Full trade value must be applied toward the purchase of new 3DS. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. Offer valid 8/12/11 - 9/11/11.

#88 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

View Postrondo, on 12 August 2011 - 07:33 AM, said:

Here is some clarification on the trade in offer at GS.

Get a 3DS for as low as $99 when you trade your old DS!

Trade a DSi XL, get a new 3DS for $99.99
Trade a DSi, get a new 3DS for $109.99
Trade DS Lite get a new 3DS for $119.99
Trade original DS get a new 3DS for $129.99

Full trade value must be applied toward the purchase of new 3DS. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. Offer valid 8/12/11 - 9/11/11.

Well that rained on my parade a bit, lol. At least it's only $10 more. I guess I'll see what happens when they're open.

Update: Okay, I bought it. After my DSi trade-in and a couple other games being traded in, I paid $85 after tax. Not too bad I must say for a system that was $249 before tax this year. :)

This post has been edited by STVO: 12 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#89 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 60057

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

I think I may have to get Star Fox when it comes out. I do find it hard to spend $40 on handheld games, since I actually never take my DS anywhere and usually just play something on the TV at home. Too much coming out soon too :( Although with the holiday season coming up, there's going to be plenty of sales. Hoping Toys R Us does another buy 1 get 1 50% off sometime in the next few months :D I should probably get Zelda since I never played it too...

Note: I know, there's something wrong with me that I have never played Zelda OoT. I get that a lot :D

#90 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

View Postbewd7879, on 12 August 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

I think I may have to get Star Fox when it comes out. I do find it hard to spend $40 on handheld games, since I actually never take my DS anywhere and usually just play something on the TV at home. Too much coming out soon too :( Although with the holiday season coming up, there's going to be plenty of sales. Hoping Toys R Us does another buy 1 get 1 50% off sometime in the next few months :D I should probably get Zelda since I never played it too...

Note: I know, there's something wrong with me that I have never played Zelda OoT. I get that a lot :D

I really recommend you get Zelda! Ocarina of Time is IMO one of the best Zeldas and one of the best games I've ever played in general! I definitely agree with you about $40-50 being too much for a portable game though. Only reason I'm not picking up OOT or StarFox 64 is because I still own a copy of both (Virtual Console for StarFox) and I've played both several times, otherwise I definitely would! For the meantime Virtual Console for me and hopefully Toys R Us has another awesome Black Friday sale.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users