• This topic is locked

The Weather Is Beautiful

#31 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

Welp, so far so good. No downed trees in our neck of the woods (that I know of). A friend of mine in McHenry had her power come back at 10:30 this morning, after it went out around 5 yesterday. I'm quite surprised the same didn't happen here.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#32 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

There crap. Storm took out my internet >=\
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#33 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

I was so dissapointed in the storm that came here. I was outside and it was looking real nasty. Like superstorm nasty. All we got was a stray lighting bolt hitting a generator so power was going in and out and the hard rain. Which lasted like 10 minutes before it all become nice and calm again. Grr. What a let down. Now it's back to freaking 90 degrees again. *gag*
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#34 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

From what I heard, the Wal-Mart in Antioch lost power and wouldn't be getting it back on until tomorrow. In what I'm going to assume is their best solution to keeping everything in their coolers cold, they bought up all the ice from the surrounding stores, including ours.

And on Saturday, this was fun for us since we had a whole lot of people (probably all the Antioch shoppers on top of it) preparing for the holiday and having parties and such. So when people are asking us to ring them up for ice, we had to tell a lot of customers we were out. It was fun (not). x.X
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (60%; Fairy Tail)
Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series), Pearl (100%; Steven Universe)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#35 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

My uncle told me he was on his boat during the storm. Luckily, it was on the dock and not out on Lake Michigan.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#36 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

Well, we're in for another round. Tornado warnings are aplenty throughout out south-central and southeastern Wisconsin, with more in Illinois. So be careful everyone.

-goes back to shaking uncontrollably under her blanket-
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (60%; Fairy Tail)
Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series), Pearl (100%; Steven Universe)

#37 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

It's looking to be another very active night. Be careful everyone.
~~

#38 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hmmm. Right now it looks like the rough parts may just barely graze Mundelein and McHenry...

But then again, who knows what'll happen in the next handful of hours.
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#39 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

I see lots of lighting, but no rain here.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#40 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

View PostSaphrinka, on 21 June 2010 - 07:58 PM, said:

Hmmm. Right now it looks like the rough parts may just barely graze Mundelein and McHenry...

But then again, who knows what'll happen in the next handful of hours.

It's like with the storms moving north of Kenosha. We may get that one coming up over Rockford though (luckily that hasn't shown tornadic development yet).

I've been trembling like a leaf for the past hour - I seriously can't stand thunderstorms or tornadoes. As soon as a warning is mentioned anywhere near my area, I start freaking out.

#41 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

I used to be deathly afraid of storms. Like, to the same level you are. I used to freak out whenever a tornado watch was called, and would pack a duffel bag with all of my favorite stuff just in case we had to take shelter. (Never actually had to take those measures, though.) Couldn't sleep during storms, either, for fear that if I did a sharp clap of thunder would jolt me awake...and that terrified me even more than if I'd already been awake.

Funny thing was, I pretty much had to get over that fear when I was in high school. I was working at Great America, in the Camp Cartoon Network section, my first year there. One day, we had a string of thunderstorms roll in. I was working the Boulder Roller (kiddie Ferris wheel), and the operator's booth consisted of an open-air, fenced, 4x4 booth with a canvas roof. No windowpanes, no solid walls. When my lead came strolling up to check in, he could tell right off the bat I hated storms - the rain was coming down, lightning and thunder were crashing, and I was shaking like a leaf in my booth. He said with a grin, "Not a fan of storms, huh?" YA THINK? I asked if there was any way to go inside during the storm. Nope, he said - each ride had to have operators present in case calls from Park Ops came in, and in case customers came up thinking they might still get a ride in. Oh yeah, I was almost beside myself with horror that I had to stay out in the storm. I was pretty rankled the rest of the day, until I realized that my co-workers - all of whom had been at the park for at least a couple of years - weren't even twitching at the storm.

Took a few rounds of storms before I got fully used to it. Now, while I'm not exactly fearless around storms, I have more of a firm respect for them.

Plus, because of my years at GA, I've learned how to predict weather on my own - which makes for interesting bets between me and friends, who don't believe me when I say there's rain or a storm on the way...and then a day or two later, BAM. XD

#42 User is offline   mendokuse 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3415

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

Weather, smeather! The weather doesn't scare me at all. Girlfriend and her mom? Scaredy cats, her mom even more so. What's a little rain/snow/hail? If I gotta go out, I'm gonna go out. The only thing I dislike is the clean up, like after my basement floods or some branches fell in my driveway.
However, so far so good this year!

#43 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

Sadly in high school (and throughout my school experience), the teachers could hardly teach because I was so panicky. They literally had to stop class until the storm passed over so I can try and calm down. I felt really guilty for it, but it's a reflex for me to freak out as soon as I see lightning or hear thunder.

Last year at work, storms developed when I was work, and they listed a tornado warning for the county. I heard it before almost anyone else did and started panicking so much that several of the cashiers stopped what they were doing and tried to calm down. I spent the entire of the storm with one of my CSSs, which included hiding the further most corner of the fitting room under a curtain.

When the all-clear was given, one of the fitting room associates gave me her cell phone for me to call my parents, which I did and kept screaming for my mommy. ^^;;

#44 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

I don't even believe in using an umbrella anymore. I figure, what's the point? I'm gonna get wet anyway! (Plus, the last two I tried using got blown out by strong winds that weren't present before I took them out. I think it's Nature saying, "DEAL WITH IT.") I've even walked across a college campus in thundersnow before. Crazy storm...rain, snow, wind, hail, lightning, AND thunder. And yet I still walked outside, went to my class, and then back to my dorm. Was actually pretty mystified that I got to experience all that at once...then determined that I never wanted to again. ^^

This post has been edited by Saphrinka: 21 June 2010 - 08:50 PM

#45 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

Well, according to the radar, the storms that has been connected to the storms that prompted the tornado warnings to the north of me (Milwaukee Co. and Racine Co.) are currently on top of us, but we're not getting much. Some thunder and lightning, but not much of the wind as predicted. So I guess this part has died off a bit compared to how they were. Of course, there's still a storm to the south of us that is coming up a bit, but it looks like we'll just get the outer edge. And the severe thunderstorm warning for my county has been canceled.

I'm finally calming down a bit, since I'm partly out from under my blanket and I've stopped rapidly shaking. I still feel like throwing up though, since I've been shaking for the past 2+ hours. XP But sadly there's still the rest of tonight and the next two days to go through...gah...X.X

#46 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:55 PM

I'm just scared for the safety of my electronics. If it gets really bad, I unplug things.
~~

#47 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:25 PM

View Postredx1, on 21 June 2010 - 09:55 PM, said:

I'm just scared for the safety of my electronics. If it gets really bad, I unplug things.

I was ready to insta-shut down my laptop in case it got really bad.
But instead I stared at the radar on weather.com for 2+ hours and worried for (pretty much) no reason. XP

...My mom is laughing at me and telling me that I was ridiculous. T.T

#48 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

Rain and thunder!!!!! Yaaaay~! Tomorrow is going to be humid...suuuuuck!
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#49 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:48 PM

I was on the road in the most insane storm I've ever witnessed while driving tonight. Had to pull over for a bit and put the flashers on to wait out the worst part. It was a "Wow, that's really something..." kind of feeling.

#50 User is offline   Matt 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 1225

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

There were plenty of close lightning strikes (and thunder booms) right outside my bedroom window, but thankfully the power did not go out. I'm looking forward to a week free of storms, since I don't like the strong downpours all that much and I HATE the local weather forecaster's interruptions. They are important, sure, but they become grating after a while, especially if the storm is nowhere near where I live (since my local TV station covers a fairly large area). It better not rain this much next month, since I have plans ;). But of course, Mother Nature/God does not care :(.
:heart: <span style='color:Magenta'>Proud Secretary of the Plushy Guardian Alliance</span> :heart:

:heart: <span style='color:Blue'>Soldier in The Glomp Team </span> :heart:

<span style='color:DarkSlateBlue'>Member of the Anime Central Association for the Advancement of Bunnykind</span>

#51 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

Well, looks like overnight and into tomorrow southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois are going to be under the gun again. They so far aren't predicting much in the way of tornadoes (although there's always that chance), but are predicting hail and damaging winds. According to the hourly forecast on weather.com, this stuff should be settling in anywhere between 9pm and 1am, with the most predicted chance of thunderstorms around 3am until the later morning hours tomorrow.

So be careful tonight if you're traveling late tonight or at all tomorrow.

EDIT: According to the forecast now, they're saying storms should setting in between 5am and 6am, with the most severe of them being between 8am and 11am. Of course, they've been changing this throughout the evening (I've been watching like a hawk), so who knows.

Tor:Con (tornado condition index) is placing the area at a 4/10 chance. A low chance, but a chance all the same. Be careful everyone.

This post has been edited by Ashori: 22 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

#52 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

The storms this morning were not so bad. I got to drive to Joilet in them because my hubby tends to fall asleep when it rains, so no driving in the rain for him. But I had no problems.

Now we are going to get more storms after 5pm here. Which just means, that I have time to make dinner without have to bring the little guy outside like a half hour before he wants to eat.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#53 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

We had the worst storm that took out our power from last Friday to Sunday. It was so boring without power.
But I love storms and rain much more than sun.
Humidity, ew!
But it can't rain this Sunday, I have an outdoors wedding to attend. Although secretly I wish to go to my friend's birthday/slumber party....

This post has been edited by iiEmaleigh: 23 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

#54 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

Hmmm....it would appear all the big branches of my tree fell down or a forest just sprung up
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#55 User is offline   Chocobofan4 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 43918

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

Uh, I think we're in for another round.... :X
Cosplay Plans
||Ginjinka Pikachu||Christmas Town Sora||Magnet Rin||Alice in Wonderland||

#56 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

Out in the Burbs (fox Valley Area) we've completely avoided drowning by staying out of the 'red' area of the radar....all we've seen is a few rain drops and lighting, that's it.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#57 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

We hit a tail end in Lincoln Park. South of us was hit worse. No tornadoes in the city, but man, what a show.
~~

#58 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

Round 2! Fight!
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#59 User is offline   Morbid Intentions 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 17022

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

this weather SUCKS!

I'm too fat for this weather...

why can't it be like a steady 69-75F?

This post has been edited by Morbid Intentions: 23 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

#60 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

View PostJeff, on 23 June 2010 - 05:54 PM, said:

Round 2! Fight!

More like, "HEAVEN OR HELL, DUEL TWO! LET'S ROCK!"

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users