Anime Central Forums: Might Join Artist Alley Next Year...NEED HELP! >w< - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Might Join Artist Alley Next Year...NEED HELP! >w< I might join Artist's Alley next year. I know nothing...please hel

Poll: Might Join Artist Alley Next Year...NEED HELP! >w< (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you doing Artist's Alley, too?

1. YEAHH! I'll meet you there! (10 votes [55.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. No, but I hope to see you anyways :D. (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

3. ...huh? (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote

#1 User is offline   Xiao 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 20272

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

Hey, guys. As the title says, I might be joining Artist's Alley next year.

I am an artist who's been on deviantART for a while and has made a few bucks selling art to some of my friends.
please check out my deviantART here: http://www.eyesofadr...deviantart.com/
Tell me what you think of my art! Do you think some of it will sell?

Anyways, I am totally new to this whole thing. I have absolutely no idea what to do for this, and I desperately need the help of you experienced Artist's Alley people.
Please answer by telling me EVERYTHING YOU KNOW/EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW to join Artist's Alley. Some little notes of advice would greatly help me, too :).

Along with needing to know everything, I have a few questions about Artist's Alley...

1) How do I get into Artist's Alley in the first place? Like...do I have to register? Is it seperate from getting a normal badge? Where/How do I do it?
2)Do I need to be there at a certain time every day? Also, I have school on Friday, and I might be able to skip school to claim a spot, but if not, can I still come after school?
Also, if I can't make it on the Friday, will I still be able to do Artist's Alley for the other two days? Generally...do I have to be there every day?
3)I read through some of the rules, and it says I need an artist badge (or something like that...). How do I get one?
4) How much is it to rent a spot? Do I have to pay for each day I rent it?
5) I will be selling prints. What is the recommended amount of prints I should make? What is a reasonable price to sell them for?
6) How much money do you usually make at artist's alley?
7) What is the art show? Is it different from Artist's Alley? Do I have to do that, too?
8) How do you recommend arrangint the stuff at your table?

Thanks in advance. As many answers as possible will really help me. Please tell me everything I don't know (read: Tell me EVERYTHING. xDDDD).

This post has been edited by Xiao: 15 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

"Clothes make a statement. Cosplay tells a story :3."
ACen 2013:
Miku Hatsune (Matryoshka) - Vocaloid [100%]
Xion - Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days [100%]
Korra - Legend of Korra [99%]

"When in doubt, give it a good smack?"

\\deviantART\\YouTube (Art)\\Youtube (Regular)\\

#2 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

The link doesn't work and this is the wrong forum.

I'd read the artist alley forum. Most of your questions will probably be answered there. :3

This post has been edited by Lina: 15 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#3 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

+waves magic stick thing+
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#4 User is offline   Xiao 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

View PostLina, on 15 June 2010 - 07:45 PM, said:

The link doesn't work and this is the wrong forum.

I'd read the artist alley forum. Most of your questions will probably be answered there. :3

I fixed the link. It works now :D.

Oh, there's an artist alley forum? Man, I didn't know that either. xDDD.
Was this topic already moved?

This post has been edited by Xiao: 15 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

ACen 2013:

#5 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

Yup, and yup - well, redirected, to be more precise. ^^
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#6 User is offline   Emoon18 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 20497

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

Check out the FAQs first; some of your questions can be answered here: Artist Alley F.A.Q.

Answering question #1 & #3, you have to be registered for a normal ACEN badge before you register for an Artist Alley badge/table. Artist Alley registration are usually around December. It's best to be part of the mailing list, so you'll know the exact date to register for Artist Alley. Ask Voltaire30 (the department head) to be a part of it.

#5 It depends on what kind of size and how much work you put into your drawing. But I usually see print prices ranging from $5 to $15 (or more). Artists also do special offers and discounts as well, like "buy 2 prints, get one free" sort of thing.

#7 I believe the Art Show is kinda like an exhibition or a gallery, with some auctions/bids. So yes, it is different than Artist Alley, where Artist Alley is basically more of a mass merchant thing. And no, you don't have to be in the Art Show if you don't want to.

#8 I definitely recommend investing in a mini grid display or those display pipes (they're not expensive; I bought my mini grid display unit for like $40 + tax/shipping). It's a great way to display your work & capture people's attention.

It's best if you take a look around Artist Alley (or other AA if you go to other cons), talk to the artists on info, & make observations.

Hope I helped in answering some of your questions. =)

#7 User is offline   Christy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 2434

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

1) How do I get into Artist's Alley in the first place? Like...do I have to register? Is it seperate from getting a normal badge? Where/How do I do it?
- Most Artist Allys require some form of registration. As advised above, contact Voltare, the AA department head, for details on the Acen AA and he'll send you registration instructions. My advice would be to keep in contact the with the department head through the mailing list and make sure to be ready to register fast, as space fills quickly. Always be polite and courtious as you can with the DH.

2)Do I need to be there at a certain time every day? Also, I have school on Friday, and I might be able to skip school to claim a spot, but if not, can I still come after school?
Also, if I can't make it on the Friday, will I still be able to do Artist's Alley for the other two days? Generally...do I have to be there every day?
- It is STRONGLY advisable to try and make yourself available all three days for the full time in the alley. Not manning your space can and will result in lost sales for you and empty spaces make the alley look bad. Plus there is a waiting list every year and using a table for only a few hours each day, or skipping days, prevents another artist who would use the space for the full time from being able to show. Assuming you're in college, your professor will understand if you make an effort to get work turned in early and explain why you need the day off. The big question you need to ask yourself is "Am I going to be committed to this?" If the answer is "no", then you need to rethink before you spend money on stock, a table and display.

3)I read through some of the rules, and it says I need an artist badge (or something like that...). How do I get one?
- Every AA has a different registration system, but for the Acen AA, it's generally been that you have to register for a regular badge first and then when you register for an AA table, you give your badge number to the AA staff and they convert it into an AA badge for you. On a side note to that, AA badges are typically picked up in the alley when you claim your table, so do not opt for badge mailing. When in doubt, before you act, read the rules, the FAQ then ask the department head if you still don't understand.

- Again, prices and policies vary with each convention but most cons with pre-registration rent table space for one price that covers the full weekend. Acen's prices may change from year to year, so check with your DH regarding current table prices.

5) I will be selling prints. What is the recommended amount of prints I should make? What is a reasonable price to sell them for?
- My recommendation for a first year AA attendee would be to start with between 12 and 20 prints, depending on cost and size of what you are printing. Higher priced prints will probably not sell as well. Your price should be largely based on the quality of work and demand for what you're producing. Fanart sells better because people like buying something they recognize. Your work is decent quality and if you have high res scans to make the prints off of, it should reproduce well. I've seen comperable work sold with standard glossy 8.5x11 prints starting at about $5 to $10 depending on how well they reproduce, for anything fanart. $3 - $7 for original work, same print specs. In the end, you'll have to set your own prices and make printing decisions but this'll give you a general idea.

- Depends on the artists, their display and what they are carrying. Fan work sells better than original and sombody who does good and fast commissions can pull in decent money. Getting the right price set for the quality of work you produce is key to good sales. Most artists can make back production, table and badge costs, and some can even make back for hotel, meals and pocket money. But, in general, the AA is about expression of fandom and exposure to the fan base. Most artists don't live off the sales from AA alone.

7) What is the art show? Is it different from Artist's Alley? Do I have to do that, too?
- The art show is an exhibition, the alley is a sales venue. The main difference is that AA artists man a table and make sales. At the Art Show, you display art peices, which may or may not be for sale. While the two are not mutually exclusive, you don't have to do one in order to do the other.

- Build your display around your art. Make sure you have modules or display peices that you can use to prop or hang your work upright so people can see it at a distance. It's recommended that you bring a table cloth or covering, as not all alleys provide them, and make signage to identify yourself. Don't clutter your table with too many unnecessary things. Bring business cards. Other than that, my other suggestion would be to visit another AA, look at the displays there and see what ideas you come up with. Just don't try to duplicate exactly what somebody else has done. Too many copycat tables makes for a boring alley and will cause you to blend in to much. You want your stuff to stand out.

Good luck and we'll see you in the alley!

#8 User is offline   Xiao 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

View PostChristy, on 17 June 2010 - 03:59 PM, said:

- Most Artist Allys require some form of registration. As advised above, contact Voltare, the AA department head, for details on the Acen AA and he'll send you registration instructions. My advice would be to keep in contact the with the department head through the mailing list and make sure to be ready to register fast, as space fills quickly. Always be polite and courtious as you can with the DH.

- It is STRONGLY advisable to try and make yourself available all three days for the full time in the alley. Not manning your space can and will result in lost sales for you and empty spaces make the alley look bad. Plus there is a waiting list every year and using a table for only a few hours each day, or skipping days, prevents another artist who would use the space for the full time from being able to show. Assuming you're in college, your professor will understand if you make an effort to get work turned in early and explain why you need the day off. The big question you need to ask yourself is "Am I going to be committed to this?" If the answer is "no", then you need to rethink before you spend money on stock, a table and display.

- Every AA has a different registration system, but for the Acen AA, it's generally been that you have to register for a regular badge first and then when you register for an AA table, you give your badge number to the AA staff and they convert it into an AA badge for you. On a side note to that, AA badges are typically picked up in the alley when you claim your table, so do not opt for badge mailing. When in doubt, before you act, read the rules, the FAQ then ask the department head if you still don't understand.

- Again, prices and policies vary with each convention but most cons with pre-registration rent table space for one price that covers the full weekend. Acen's prices may change from year to year, so check with your DH regarding current table prices.

- My recommendation for a first year AA attendee would be to start with between 12 and 20 prints, depending on cost and size of what you are printing. Higher priced prints will probably not sell as well. Your price should be largely based on the quality of work and demand for what you're producing. Fanart sells better because people like buying something they recognize. Your work is decent quality and if you have high res scans to make the prints off of, it should reproduce well. I've seen comperable work sold with standard glossy 8.5x11 prints starting at about $5 to $10 depending on how well they reproduce, for anything fanart. $3 - $7 for original work, same print specs. In the end, you'll have to set your own prices and make printing decisions but this'll give you a general idea.

- Depends on the artists, their display and what they are carrying. Fan work sells better than original and sombody who does good and fast commissions can pull in decent money. Getting the right price set for the quality of work you produce is key to good sales. Most artists can make back production, table and badge costs, and some can even make back for hotel, meals and pocket money. But, in general, the AA is about expression of fandom and exposure to the fan base. Most artists don't live off the sales from AA alone.

- The art show is an exhibition, the alley is a sales venue. The main difference is that AA artists man a table and make sales. At the Art Show, you display art peices, which may or may not be for sale. While the two are not mutually exclusive, you don't have to do one in order to do the other.

- Build your display around your art. Make sure you have modules or display peices that you can use to prop or hang your work upright so people can see it at a distance. It's recommended that you bring a table cloth or covering, as not all alleys provide them, and make signage to identify yourself. Don't clutter your table with too many unnecessary things. Bring business cards. Other than that, my other suggestion would be to visit another AA, look at the displays there and see what ideas you come up with. Just don't try to duplicate exactly what somebody else has done. Too many copycat tables makes for a boring alley and will cause you to blend in to much. You want your stuff to stand out.

Good luck and we'll see you in the alley!

Thanks, this helped a bunch!
I am actually in high school...I'm going to be in my senior year during this time, and usually by the end of the year, things are a bit lighter since school's ending. I'm not sure when next year's ACen is, but as long as there's nothing conflicting my schedule such as exmans and concerts, I'll be able to attend this.
Yes, I've been told that Content wins over Quality in these situations, and I'm getting to work on tons of fanart.
ACen 2013:

#9 User is offline   Christy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 2434

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

View PostXiao, on 17 June 2010 - 10:57 PM, said:

Thanks, this helped a bunch!
I am actually in high school...I'm going to be in my senior year during this time, and usually by the end of the year, things are a bit lighter since school's ending. I'm not sure when next year's ACen is, but as long as there's nothing conflicting my schedule such as exmans and concerts, I'll be able to attend this.
Yes, I've been told that Content wins over Quality in these situations, and I'm getting to work on tons of fanart.

I wouldn't say that the content of the art always trumps the quality of the artwork itself. If the prices and printing are the same then the better artist will sell better regardless of the subject matter. But fanwork will usually sell better than original work of the SAME quality because it's recognizable. This of course refers to the actual image, not the printing. Printing should be in line with the quality of the peice because really great printing (which is usually more expensive) on not so good art could turn it into bad art. Fancy printing tends to highlight obvious flaws because it's sharper and crisper.

If you're art is still evolving, I would recommend sticking with fanart and going for about medium level printing while you're still developing and then progress as you progress as an artist. Young'ens sometimes jump in too far too fast before their style has a chance to mature and end up burning out when problems and disappointments happen.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. If your school has a DECCA program and you sign up for it then your DECCA sponsor will help you get a pass for the day because you'll be doing something entreprenural.

This post has been edited by Christy: 24 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

#10 User is offline   Kitchan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 24242

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

View PostChristy, on 24 June 2010 - 08:45 AM, said:

I wouldn't say that the content of the art always trumps the quality of the artwork itself. If the prices and printing are the same then the better artist will sell better regardless of the subject matter. But fanwork will usually sell better than original work of the SAME quality because it's recognizable. This of course refers to the actual image, not the printing. Printing should be in line with the quality of the peice because really great printing (which is usually more expensive) on not so good art could turn it into bad art. Fancy printing tends to highlight obvious flaws because it's sharper and crisper.

If you're art is still evolving, I would recommend sticking with fanart and going for about medium level printing while you're still developing and then progress as you progress as an artist. Young'ens sometimes jump in too far too fast before their style has a chance to mature and end up burning out when problems and disappointments happen.

You don't have to print, necessarily. If you're more comfortable grabbing a table and sketching people (which is wonderful practice, by the way), doing chibi-style cariactures of congoers (always popular), or asking for commissions (with a portfolio / sketchbook on hand), that's also perfectly acceptable. In fact, having been on both sides of the table as both Artist and Staff, I actually prefer this method.
A wild Kit has appeared! What will you do?

#11 User is offline   Xiao 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

View PostKitchan, on 07 July 2010 - 05:57 PM, said:

You don't have to print, necessarily. If you're more comfortable grabbing a table and sketching people (which is wonderful practice, by the way), doing chibi-style cariactures of congoers (always popular), or asking for commissions (with a portfolio / sketchbook on hand), that's also perfectly acceptable. In fact, having been on both sides of the table as both Artist and Staff, I actually prefer this method.

That actually sounds a lot better for me. I've done something similiar to that in the past (drawing chibi cariacaturs of people for a festival), and it's something that I'm used to doing. And it's good because ACen is 3 days long. When I did this for a festival, I had to sketch at lightning speed because the festival was only 4 hours long @_________________@, and I almost suicided the quality of my work.

I'm considering doing my art selling this way. Any tips on this method? x___x
ACen 2013:

#12 User is offline   kyadesigns 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 58679

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

I am going to be bringing my laptop/tablet with me, as well as a jump drive. That way you can print out things really quick and do a 'X wait time' kind of thing with a deposit.

I'm also going to be selling high-res glossy prints of my work, too.

Bring your charger with you, and all the print paper you may need. Others may not have it around to lend you!

Hope to see you there! :3 -- Kat

#13 User is offline   BlackWaltzPinion 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18824

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

And some other friendly words of advice---!

1. Make sure you stock up on art supplies before the convention. I had the unfortunate experience this year of my colorless blender drying up on me. Luckily I scrounged up a spare from my friend, but you want to make sure you have everything in order to meet whatever demands a commissioner's request may need!

2. Get lots of sleep! It sounds like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised how out of it you'll get by sunday if you don't sleep. Even if it's only taking a 3-4 night's sleep before the alley, it'll still help keep you alert and awake.

3. Bring some food! As wonderful as a whole weekend of nothing but junk food sounds, you always want to bring some healthy food (my favorites are granola, apples, white bread and peanut butter, simple things!) and lots and lots of water. This not only helps to keep your tummy happy, but also being well hydrated combats headaches, which is a big plus in a noisy place like Artist's Alley. I also bring lots of treats (gummi worms, Twizzlers, sunflower seeds, etc) to bribe the neighbors with. XD

4. Be nice to your neighbors! You never know when you'll need a random bit of supplies you may have forgotten, and no one's going to lend to a rude neighbor. It also makes things so much more enjoyable to be able to share stories, food, maybe even get some of your work looked at by a veteran artist or someone who's been published. It never hurts to network!

magefeathers of Cello Raptor Studios
Love thy plague.
2012 Cosplay = Flam
My DeviantArt

#14 User is offline   Kitchan 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:01 AM

View PostXiao, on 25 July 2010 - 10:58 PM, said:

That actually sounds a lot better for me. I've done something similiar to that in the past (drawing chibi cariacaturs of people for a festival), and it's something that I'm used to doing. And it's good because ACen is 3 days long. When I did this for a festival, I had to sketch at lightning speed because the festival was only 4 hours long @_________________@, and I almost suicided the quality of my work.

I'm considering doing my art selling this way. Any tips on this method? x___x

Make a sign, bring sketchbook and for the love of all things chibi please stock up on your inking pens and drawing pencils before the con. They have a tendency to get lost/run off/be loaned out. (Especially necessities like blending pens and such, as noted below.)

Also if someone asks if you can draw fanart of a particular character: ask them for reference images, or a description. It may not turn out the way they want it to, but if you're honest about not knowing Character X from series-you've-never-seen-Y, it'd be appreciated.

I'm in the process of compiling some tips for newcomers to Artists' Alley as well, but what may work for one person (say, doing traditional penciling/ink work) may not work for another (say, the other person does handmade plushies - yeah, same strategies aren't really going to work there).

#15 User is offline   Kitchan 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

View PostBlackWaltzPinion, on 04 September 2010 - 04:29 PM, said:

And some other friendly words of advice---!

1. Make sure you stock up on art supplies before the convention. I had the unfortunate experience this year of my colorless blender drying up on me. Luckily I scrounged up a spare from my friend, but you want to make sure you have everything in order to meet whatever demands a commissioner's request may need!

2. Get lots of sleep! It sounds like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised how out of it you'll get by sunday if you don't sleep. Even if it's only taking a 3-4 night's sleep before the alley, it'll still help keep you alert and awake.

4. Be nice to your neighbors! You never know when you'll need a random bit of supplies you may have forgotten, and no one's going to lend to a rude neighbor. It also makes things so much more enjoyable to be able to share stories, food, maybe even get some of your work looked at by a veteran artist or someone who's been published. It never hurts to network!

Agreed on these points.

SLEEP GOOD. Seriously, as much as I like you guys in the Alley, get some sleep every now and then. :3

Stocking up on art supplies - ehhh, depends on the supplies. Things like COPIC / Prismacolor markers are going to be expensive, so it makes sense not to 'stock up' on those (unless you get a 'basic color' set and use a coupon somewhere for it or something, just in case a color like black runs out at the con - same with things like blender markers). But things like inking pens? Or your favorite kind of drawing pencil? Yes, definitely stock up on those.

Also being nice to your neighbors and talking with them tends to help if you have to run off and use the restroom or something; it's a lot easier if you trust someone to watch your table briefly for you. (Though be aware: if you're unsure, and need to leave the Alley for whatever reason, the SAFEST thing to do is to pack up yourself, because then you know exactly where stuff went.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users