Anime Central Forums: Anyone fake sick to get out of work - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Anyone fake sick to get out of work (or fake any other story)

#1 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:50 AM

I'm sure there are days where you just don't feel like working...today is just one of those days for me (I do feel kinda sick, but so not sick enough to stay home XD)

I was wondering if you do this and how often, especially for those with "Personal" or "sick time" off that's paid, like me, and bonus points for people who don't get sick like...ever.

I'm wondering if I'm alone in this...

Anyone else?
JJ Mish
Anime Central IT Department, Asst. Department Head 2010-2013
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site
Note that I am not a moderator or "administrator" of the ACen forums. My Administrator is for
maintenance reasons only. If you need help, it is encouraged you get a hold of Alkaren or forums@acen.org. Thanks!

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found

#2 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:57 AM

I have before in the past, but not so much at my current job. I've only taken sick leave when I've been sick.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#3 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:59 AM

When I lived with my mom, I used to ask for sick days from school... She replied "You missin' any limbs?" to which I always said "no", which meant I was going to school, even if I was really sick. I apply this to my work now. I'd never take a fake sick day.
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#4 User is offline   Ishoku Osero 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 8641

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:09 AM

I don't fake sick days. If I call off work, I'm either really sick, or I just can't get to work (like today, my car is out there like a ***** dead weight because it won't start and the auto shop I take it to doesn't seem to be open yet, FML ).

#5 User is offline   MOMO2 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 49830

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

If you do not use it you lose it. I do not use it that offten though. Just when I am sick. Back in the days I did fake it but that was a few years ago.
The only thing to fear is yourself.

#6 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:03 AM

Yep I do. Not all the time... just every once in a great awhile. Thought about it today actually... but i decided against it....

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#7 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

The only time I did it was in high school. At my current job I could never do it. I may actually get sick or hurt and if I blow them off carelessly then im screwed for.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#8 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

In the AF, you get sent to sick call, and they prove you're not sick (pheonix wright style) and then send you back to work with a bottle of water cuase you didn't hydrate enough
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#9 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

Oh, I wanted to do this so bad today, but I decided against it.

Fortunately for me, my job can be done remotely, so if I'm feeling sick I usually ask to work from home instead.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#10 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

I've done it in the past. Mostly in the winter cause it's horrible trying to push shopping carts in the snow. I haven't in a few years, but I've been tempted to.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#11 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

I made a topic about this a while ago...not sure where it went lol Probably in the 09 files. I've had to actually call in sick and fake being sick because I was snowed in and my job didnt believe me when that happened once. Its weird where I live. My area will get tons of snow and then in town they wont get anything! Then they dont believe me because they look around and go oh theres no snow. >.<
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#12 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

One day I had a bad feeling about going into work about a week ago and wanted to call it off. I arrived 1 1/2 hours late and went home 2 hours early. I won't go into details but I decided I should have called it off because I wasn't in the right mind to work at all.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#13 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

I used to work at Fry's Electronics. I was never sick for the year I worked there and was always dependable; read as I was the only one in customer service who actually worked and didn't do anything unethical/illegal. One day I was very very sick and could come in. One of the many managers told me when I got back that unless I had a doctor's note I'm going to get a few marks against my name. If one has a cold or flu, I don't think they normally go to a doctor and often know how to take care of it themselves. I ended up getting marks against my name and decided starting a few weeks later to take a permanent series of sick days. Moral of the story, Fry's treats their workers like crap.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#14 User is offline   Aizen_sama 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 57905

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

I worked at Cedar point in 2008, i called in sick 15 minutes before the first shift.

My boss responds, "You should have called in earlier so that we could get someone else to come in."
I respond with "Didn't you get there less than 5 minutes ago."
He responds in a threatening tone "Well of course, we aren't even open yet."

I just hung up on him after that, i REALLY hope it dawned on him, that he is a Idiot.
Always up for conversation about anime's, so send me a Pm anytime, or a message on Facebook.
X-Box Gamertag- Killerray287

2010 Cosplay- TYL Yamamoto Takeshi (KHR) 100%
2011 Cosplay- Itachi Uchiha 100%
2012 Cosplay- Up in the Air

#15 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:13 PM

View PostAizen_sama, on 08 June 2010 - 12:03 PM, said:

I worked at Cedar point in 2008, i called in sick 15 minutes before the first shift.

My boss responds, "You should have called in earlier so that we could get someone else to come in."
I respond with "Didn't you get there less than 5 minutes ago."
He responds in a threatening tone "Well of course, we aren't even open yet."

I just hung up on him after that, i REALLY hope it dawned on him, that he is a Idiot.

Same thing happened to me. They said I should have called their cell phones. How was I supposed to know their number? >_<
Most managers I've met are morons who haven't even gone to school for the positions.

*I'm not saying all managers need school, you need either common sense or learning, and they seem lack lack both.

This post has been edited by Suigetsu: 08 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#16 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

Almost the first thing my boss did on my first day was hand me her business card (with cell phone number on it) and say, "If you're going to be late or out or working from home, text me or call me. We just want to know you're not dead." And I do. And it works.

Maybe more bosses should get into that.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#17 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Back when I was 16, I called in sick when I really wasn't, my mom caught me and told me to call them back and tell them that I was going in to work that day. lol
ACen '12 Cosplays
Fluttershy [MLP: FiM] [90%], Rarity [MLP: FiM] [95%]
'12 Cons: C2E2, ACen, Midwestria [Staff], JemCon, YoumaCon [Video Programming Staff]
Acen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#18 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on 08 June 2010 - 12:16 PM, said:

Almost the first thing my boss did on my first day was hand me her business card (with cell phone number on it) and say, "If you're going to be late or out or working from home, text me or call me. We just want to know you're not dead." And I do. And it works.

Maybe more bosses should get into that.

Definitely they should. I have my supervisor's cell number (and vice versa), which is almost crucial in my shop because we're 24/7, so there's no guarantee I'll see him. When I was on mid-shift, I saw him once in the span of 4 months (and that was because he specially called me in to help with scheduling). He himself is in and out of the office with meetings even when we are in the office at the same time, so we don't really have a consistant form of contact other than e-mail (or cells if it's urgent).
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#19 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

I called in today because I genuinely didn't feel well. (Felt nauseous every time I got up, or sat up/stood up too quickly, and my head felt muzzy beyond reason.) I love my boss, though - he's the legal manager (and an attorney) at the firm I work at, and when he talks business, there's no dancing around or 20 questions. It's always short and to the point. Thus, when I called in, the entire call took exactly 17 seconds (according to my phone). I dialed, phone rang, he answered, I said who it was, he asked what was up, I told him I wasn't feeling well, he said they'd see me tomorrow then, and said "Feel better!" Thanked him, hung up, and conked right back out. I'll likely be putting in a few extra hours this week to help make up for my absence anyway.

Now, that being said, it would likely take a really bad series of days there for me to even ponder feigning illness. I love my job, and I'm also in charge of scanning/coding affidavits (which can be a truly daunting task), so I try my best to keep my off days minimal. At some of my old jobs, it did happen a few times. But gods willing, that won't be the case with this job.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#20 User is offline   cloudacmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17980

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

I can't do this. I actually have to be sick to take off.

Because too many sick days can get you fired at my work place.
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloudacmaster
Cosplays did not happen in 2009, thanks to finals. Things are not looking good in 2010 either :/ I may not make it til Acen until Sat. evening.
Forum Doctor and Forum weather man!

#21 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

A buddy and myself once told our boss we were sick and had to leave just so we could go work out.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#22 User is offline   ZomgBlue 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 29826

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

i called in sick when i wasnt really that sick feeling then i went to see a movie durring the day with my boyfriend at teh time... the next day i went to the doctor turned out i had broncitis so in the end i didnt feel that bad about calling in sick, as i was anyways. also got boyfriend at the time sick and he was a jerk that day so it all worked out.
the one the only princess neon plaid mix'n'match confusion of colour

#23 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

lol If my parents ever asked about it, id just tell them they told me to not come in that day lol...

As for the time when calling in.. I try to do it as early as possible. Sometimes its hard especially when I open in the morning because sometimes theres nobody at the store until I'm supposed to be there (which only really happens on the weekends most times)

But i try not to do it very much anymore. I may not like my job, but at least its a job and one i need to keep for the time being lol

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#24 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

I definately don't like to do it that often, but I sometimes just wake up and go 'man, I REALLY don't want to go to work wotday.' and unlike the guy in the shipping department (who I used to very regularly cover for), I don't call off when I have a lot of work to do, I just don't feel like going in. I didn't used to be like this at all, I used to love my job, but lately I've sunk into a depression of sorts where I don't like my job nor the people I work with (which is exactly the opposite of what I felt like 3 months ago).

And it isn't like home is much better, no A/C, screaming nieces and not enough food >.<
JJ Mish
Anime Central IT Department, Asst. Department Head 2010-2013
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site
Note that I am not a moderator or "administrator" of the ACen forums. My Administrator is for
maintenance reasons only. If you need help, it is encouraged you get a hold of Alkaren or forums@acen.org. Thanks!

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users