Anime Central Forums: Neon Genesis Rebuild - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Neon Genesis Rebuild For those who don't learn the first time

Poll: Evangelion Polls (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Character

1. Asuka Langley Sohryu ( Shikinami ) (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. Shinji Ikari (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Rei Ayanami (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Gendou Ikari (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

5. Makinami Mari Illustrious (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Misato Katsuragi (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

7. Ritsuko Akagi (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Maya Ibuki (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Pen Pen (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

10. Ryoji Kaji (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Kouzou Fuyutsuki (0 votes [0.00%])

Favorite Incarnation of Evangelion ( anime and manga included )

1. Original Neon Genesis Evangelion (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

2. Angelic Days (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Raising Shinji Ikari Project (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

4. Neon Genesis Evangelion Manga Series (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

5. Neon Genesis Evangelion Rebuild series (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Favorite Evangelion Unit

1. Eva Unit 00 (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

2. Eva Unit 01 (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

3. Eva Unit 02 (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

4. Eva Unit 03 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Eva Unit 05 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. The white evil Evas from the End of Evangelion movie (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Japanese voices or English?

1. English (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

2. Japanese (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Only Spike Spencer can be the true Shinji Ikari!!! (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:51 AM

Alright, so I looked and didn't find a current thread for this so I am making one just in time with the recent release of Neon Genesis Evangelion 2.22 You Can(not) Advance in Japan!

I didn't see a lot of anime growing up, I didn't even know anime was called anime until I was 12, and before that I had only seen a small number of series, Dragon Ball, Speed Racer, Robotech, and one a young child should never EVER watch on VHS, Neon Genesis Evangelion. So there I was, not even in middle school yet watching Neon Genesis Evangelion over at a friends house, I saw the opening and thought "Oooo robots!" Then after the first couple of episodes I went "This isn't about the robots! It's about some whiny kid with daddy issues!" And yet still the Evangelion engine is still running as Gainax keeps it going with merchandising, spin offs and now the Evangelion Rebuild series.

I was somewhat psyched about them remaking the series with new animation and dialogue, finally a good way to redo Eva I thought. Now I love the original series, its great for being different in its time, a time when because of Eva Spike Spencer was cast as the main voice of the pilot in Martian Successor Nadesico ( The english casting for that series will all be met with untimely deaths... ). It was different, it threw ethics and morality all over the place, and I liked it, not because it was an outstanding series but because it was different.

With Rebuild I can say I love it because not only is it different from the norm, but it is also outstanding. I would recommend anyone who even remotely liked NGE to give Rebuild a chance.

My only real bone to pick is Funimation picking it up and screwing our chances of ever hearing the entire original english cast... with good chances that Tiffany Grant won't be picked to play Asuka again.

Phew now I can write in orange text...didn't want to make the whole topic make people's eyes bleed ^_^
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#2 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:54 AM

Well even if Tiffany Grant was picked, I don't think there's a chance she'd accept. That's just what happens when you're married to a high ranking exec from another company. You can't fault Funi for that, you'd have to fault ADV for its own choices that led to its semi-demise and having to play the shell game to stay alive in the form of a new company.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#3 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

I doubt they will ask her though, if she turned it down that'd be fine, its more about them TRYING to get the original cast for the main characters.

I am psyched for 3.0 already after finishing 2.22

The Oni of Taiyaki

#4 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

The first one of the rebuild series was rather boring ( you are (not ) alone ) . The whole thing was just too close to the original series. The sequel is definitely more interesting, I'm not the biggest fan of the rebuild series but it did have some awesome twists
Spoiler

2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#5 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

For now, I voted for the original Eva only cuz I haven't seen Rebuild as a whole; but it's going in the right direction though. So I might end up liking Rebuild more. I don't get the Spike Spencer option, he's part of the english cast. To me, Megumi Ogata is Shinji.
ACen Mascot Artist

#6 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

View PostAnimexcel, on 08 June 2010 - 04:44 PM, said:

For now, I voted for the original Eva only cuz I haven't seen Rebuild as a whole; but it's going in the right direction though. So I might end up liking Rebuild more. I don't get the Spike Spencer option, he's part of the english cast. To me, Megumi Ogata is Shinji.

Because NO ONE does Shinji's trademark pants-wetting fear like Spike Spencer. When Spike is doing Shinji's voice, you can really feel the unbelievable terror that Shinji is experiencing. I'd love to see what he could do if they give Shinji the same sort of sarcasm that he gets in the manga. (One of the reasons why I like the manga. Ever so occasionally Shinji gets to shoot back at Asuka, and when he shoots, he scores.)

I haven't seen all of Rebuild yet, but I like what I've seen so far. They took out a lot of the extraneous crap and "slimmed down" Eva. I watched part of the first series with my dad, and he was so confused he just got up and left. Rebuild, however, captivated his interest--and definitely mine.

That said, I love the manga far more than the series. The manga just makes more sense. Shinji is less whiny, less "woe is me," less wimpy. (He takes a swing at Gendo for getting Toji killed--in the manga, Toji dies.) Kaworu is not sympathetic. He's insidiously evil. Rei is more well-rounded than Asuka, though I think Asuka is stronger in the manga as well. Asuka is supposed to be the best of the Eva kids, but in the anime, she never proves that--she always has to have Shinji backing her up. In the manga, she's a powerhouse in her Eva and outside of it. It doesn't make her more likeable (less, actually), but at least she walks the walk. Despite being an unrepentant witch, Asuka is my favorite character.

The Shinji Ikari Raising Project is great if you want a good laugh. They're keeping it lighthearted, and hopefully it stays that way. The part where Rei and Asuka team up to "keep Shinji straight" (having completely misinterpreted Kaworu and Shinji's friendship) is awesome, and portraying Gendo as a henpecked, over-the-top mad scientist was similarly great. I've rarely read anything funnier than Vol. 3's Parent-Teacher Conference--with Gendo as the parent, Misato as the teacher, and Shinji in hell. Angelic Days wasn't bad, but the artwork was lacking and the story sort of went off the tracks.

The best Eva manga, IMHO, is actually the Evangelion Retake doujinshi. It provides a much more plausible ending for the series, and it's one doujin where the sex scenes actually add to the story and are peripheral to it. Shinji and Asuka start a relationship, and it's believable--as is Rei's rather horrifying reaction to it. (Remember Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction? Now think of that character as Rei.) Everything goes to hell, of course, but it's done in a matter that fits in well with the series.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Yes, it sucks to be Shinji"

This post has been edited by sentinel28a: 09 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#7 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

Because NO ONE does Shinji's trademark pants-wetting fear like Spike Spencer. When Spike is doing Shinji's voice, you can really feel the unbelievable terror that Shinji is experiencing. I'd love to see what he could do if they give Shinji the same sort of sarcasm that he gets in the manga. (One of the reasons why I like the manga. Ever so occasionally Shinji gets to shoot back at Asuka, and when he shoots, he scores.)

This is exactly why I added that option, Spike Spencer has always been my Shinji Ikari. The manga truly was great and I need to finish it ( I have odd placed volumes of it with gaps in between them ), I liked how Shinji was more normal and able to stand up for himself more than in the anime where all he did was get pushed around.

I haven't seen all of Rebuild yet, but I like what I've seen so far. They took out a lot of the extraneous crap and "slimmed down" Eva. I watched part of the first series with my dad, and he was so confused he just got up and left. Rebuild, however, captivated his interest--and definitely mine.

2.22 was great, I watched it in Japanese and that took some getting used to the Japanese voices since I have always watched it in English. I suggest watching it or making sure to watch it the moment it hits state side on DVD, it was amazing and it has me yearning for 3.0 to come out sooner.

The best Eva manga, IMHO, is actually the Evangelion Retake doujinshi. It provides a much more plausible ending for the series, and it's one doujin where the sex scenes actually add to the story and are peripheral to it. Shinji and Asuka start a relationship, and it's believable--as is Rei's rather horrifying reaction to it. (Remember Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction? Now think of that character as Rei.) Everything goes to hell, of course, but it's done in a matter that fits in well with the series.

I've actually read that series, it is a great one and I've read it a few times. Rei's reaction was great and totally put her on a level other than "Emotionless" doll that most people who have only seen the anime seem to know her as. I especially like this one and the Rebuild series and RSIP because Rei with a personality ( Not having one is not considered one people ) is much more amusing.

( Posted in Black for easy reading )

PS:

Despite being an unrepentant witch, Asuka is my favorite character.

Asuka fans 4 Life!
The Oni of Taiyaki

#8 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 09 June 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

This is exactly why I added that option, Spike Spencer has always been my Shinji Ikari. The manga truly was great and I need to finish it ( I have odd placed volumes of it with gaps in between them ), I liked how Shinji was more normal and able to stand up for himself more than in the anime where all he did was get pushed around.

Finish it? You mean catch up? The original manga series is still not complete from what I've read (though it's "close").

#9 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

View Postwrexness, on 09 June 2010 - 08:19 PM, said:

Finish it? You mean catch up? The original manga series is still not complete from what I've read (though it's "close").

No, I'm pretty sure the series ended with Volume 11 in 2008... I have Volumes 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7.

This post has been edited by TaiyakiOni: 09 June 2010 - 09:26 PM

The Oni of Taiyaki

#10 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 09 June 2010 - 09:25 PM, said:

No, I'm pretty sure the series ended with Volume 11 in 2008... I have Volumes 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7.

They're up to 12. If they ended at 11, it would've been no more satisfying than the anime. Wiki lists the manga as being in hiatus though as the author works on the rebuild.

This post has been edited by wrexness: 09 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

#11 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

View Postwrexness, on 09 June 2010 - 09:35 PM, said:

They're up to 12. If they ended at 11, it would've been no more satisfying than the anime. Wiki lists the manga as being in hiatus though as the author works on the rebuild.

Interesting... Well I can put up with Hiatus so I can catch up on getting all the manga. Not to mention I am looking forward to 3.0 and can't wait for it to come out.

The reason it's taking me time to get the Eva manga is I am collecting the original graphic novel release by viz media

The Oni of Taiyaki

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users