• This topic is locked

Lulu Final Fantasy X

#1 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Post icon  Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:22 PM

I need some help with all of her belts! I want to make this cosplay amazing and therefore I need lots of Grey and black belts as well as make that big one at the center. Any ideas where I might be able to buy them cheap? Or an easy way of making them?
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#2 User is offline   mens_pocky06 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8685

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:44 PM

View Postkungpowkirby, on 01 June 2010 - 10:22 PM, said:

I need some help with all of her belts! I want to make this cosplay amazing and therefore I need lots of Grey and black belts as well as make that big one at the center. Any ideas where I might be able to buy them cheap? Or an easy way of making them?

I did things the hard way when I did this costume.....I took multiple kinds of "leather-looking" materials and made each belt myself by stitching them into straps, then adding the buckles before attaching them together as a skirt.....there's GOT to be an easier way of doing it, but that's how I did them.

I hope that helps a bit.....even if it didn't good luck! ^____^
WOAH! New Forums!
@___@ <3

#3 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

Do you have an pictures of it that I could see?
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#4 User is offline   mens_pocky06 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

View Postkungpowkirby, on 01 June 2010 - 10:51 PM, said:

Do you have an pictures of it that I could see?

I've kind of taken it apart (as I've had it around collecting dust since early 2006)...but I can put pieces of it together again and give you a link to pictures to show you the just of what I did.
WOAH! New Forums!
@___@ <3

#5 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:16 AM

That would be amazing if it wouldnt be too much trouble. This is my first cosplay so i need LOTS of help! lol

#6 User is offline   mens_pocky06 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

View Postkungpowkirby, on 02 June 2010 - 12:16 AM, said:

That would be amazing if it wouldnt be too much trouble. This is my first cosplay so i need LOTS of help! lol

No trouble at all. It won't be as fancy/accurate as it was...but you'll get the idea. I'll send you a pm through here with the link probably no later than tomorrow afternoon ^____^
WOAH! New Forums!
@___@ <3

#7 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

Go to thrift/goodwill stores and raid the belt section. I was seriously contemplating as cosplaying Lulu one year so I planned it out. Also you could ask around for leather scraps and make belts yourself. Ohhh and Lulu as a first cosplay!! Wow! I wish you the best of luck! There is a lot put into her outfit plus accessories! When I start thinking about starting a cosplay I look for TONS of references including others designs and make my own based off of these.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#8 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on 02 June 2010 - 02:00 PM, said:

Go to thrift/goodwill stores and raid the belt section. I was seriously contemplating as cosplaying Lulu one year so I planned it out. Also you could ask around for leather scraps and make belts yourself. Ohhh and Lulu as a first cosplay!! Wow! I wish you the best of luck! There is a lot put into her outfit plus accessories! When I start thinking about starting a cosplay I look for TONS of references including others designs and make my own based off of these.

Yes well, I go big when I do something. It's not like I've never put a costume together, but this is the first one I'm making. I NEED ALL THE LUCK I CAN GET! XD

#9 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

View Postmens_pocky06, on 02 June 2010 - 11:32 AM, said:

No trouble at all. It won't be as fancy/accurate as it was...but you'll get the idea. I'll send you a pm through here with the link probably no later than tomorrow afternoon ^____^

WOO! Thanks so much! I'm looking foward to it.

#10 User is offline   Inugin 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 36956

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

You could even do a mix of these two thoughts. As far as a reference goes for the outfit, cosplaymagic.com actually has a very nice lulu dress for sale that has a close up shot of the belts so you can see how they did them as well. As far as fabric goes, I know JoAnns has a good selection of vinyl pleather materials that would suit you nicely. As far as mixing the two, I would do that so that the ones with the double gromments you don't have to worry about doing that yourself and then the ones that are bit on the odd side you can just sew together. Other than that, I can't offer much but my good wishes that you do well on this endeavor! Best of luck and hope to see your Lulu next Acen!
"what made you think Denny's was in walking distance?"-A
"because it looks close on the map"-R
"...." Whips out map "THIS looks CLOSE to you?! The dots are on separate sides of the map!"-A
"well it looked close together in the hotel room!"-R

#11 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Well guys, I think I have my plan pretty well in place for how I'll do the belts. It's actually going to fairly simple.(I'm not saying what I'm doing till after ACen though. I don't want someone doing my idea.) I will take any suggestions however. :P I always could find something better.

#12 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 601

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:17 AM

I'll throw this in....

I've read from a few Lulu cosplayers that they make a seperate "skirt" for the belts.... because the weight of all those belts can add up, it could weigh down the actual skirt, possibly causing damage.

Can't wait to see it. We're trying to get together a FFX group.
I have zombies and I'm not afraid to use them!!

#13 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

View PostR1KKu, on 10 June 2010 - 06:17 AM, said:

I'll throw this in....

I've read from a few Lulu cosplayers that they make a seperate "skirt" for the belts.... because the weight of all those belts can add up, it could weigh down the actual skirt, possibly causing damage.

Can't wait to see it. We're trying to get together a FFX group.

Thats actually part of my plan. Thank you so much for you input and I can't wait to see your group! :D Hopefully there wont be TOO many Lulu's this next ACen. XD

#14 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

Just curious, how are you going to attach the belts.... cuz sewing through all those belts would be difficult... unless you sew through the eyelets/holes in the belt... you could also attach them with rivets. That'll hold up to the weight of the belts better than some ol' thread.

#15 User is offline   Emberlynn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 50305

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

The best plan would be to mount the belts on a substructure that could be hidden *by* the other belts. there are screws you can get to mount them to the substructure; attatching subsequent belts to hide the screws. you can get the screws at any hardware store - they're two part screws -- used for binding things. You'll either need an awl, or a punch. an awl would be less expensive than a leather punch.

-- stitching would be tricky unless you have a machine specifically made for luggage / shoes / belting. it's basically a 'forepart' created of belts -- and then you'd make an over skirt.

it *will* be heavy ... and even with thrift store shopping - it will be expensive.

another place to look would be the Asian beauty supply stores because they have belts there for wicked cheap. You will probably have to make the wide grey one that's in the skirt with the two smaller belts on it -- or alter a wide belt by adding that - unless you can find one that you can spray paint.

here's a really good picture of the front http://foroanime.com...e-ffx-17234.jpg
I don't care if you ARE the chosen one, this adventure requires PANTS.

#16 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:22 AM

I have an announcement... if thats what you would call it. I've decided to put off Lulu due to the fact that it will be a very expensive cosplay. I will wait till 2012 to do her. I still can use advice, as I'm still in the progress of planning this cosplay, even though it will be a year later.

#17 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Well, good luck on the costume anyways.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users