• This topic is locked

Bootlegs

#1 User is offline   Lily Lace 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 18441

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:54 AM

I just wanted to say that I noticed a silly amount of bootleg figures at this year's ACen. I don't remember this being such a problem in years before... (correct me if I'm wrong)
I even saw several vendors trying to sell an Ayanami Rei figure that's due for a September 2010 release for $40, when it's already been announced that it's going to be 8800 yen.

Is there anything that we can do about this?
ACen 2011:
SAT Kaname Madoka (Mahou Shoujo☆Madoka Magica)

SUN Hatsune Miku (VOCALOID)

ACen Pictures!

#2 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:59 AM

All the figures i saw were packaged?

were some not packaged?

Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#3 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:10 AM

Did you report it to the Exhibit Hall staff?

Also do you know the names of the vendors selling bootleg material?
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#4 User is offline   Lily Lace 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18441

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:27 AM

View PostKasin, on 01 June 2010 - 01:59 AM, said:

All the figures i saw were packaged?

were some not packaged?

Most bootlegs are packaged.

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 01 June 2010 - 02:10 AM, said:

Did you report it to the Exhibit Hall staff?

Also do you know the names of the vendors selling bootleg material?

I didn't know we were supposed to do that .-.
And it would be difficult to remember 7+ names...

This post has been edited by Lily Lace: 03 June 2010 - 02:28 AM

ACen 2011:
SAT Kaname Madoka (Mahou Shoujo☆Madoka Magica)

SUN Hatsune Miku (VOCALOID)

ACen Pictures!

#5 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:47 AM

I saw many figures that were not packaged myself.... Of course I got lost in the vender hall many MANY times, so alas I could not tell you which ones they were....
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#6 User is offline   ImNewHere 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18485

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:12 AM

Speaking of bootleg, I had some guy come up to our table and ask for a certain anime, and he said he did not car if it were a bootleg. I kindly told him we do not do bootleg. He tried pushing it, so I got a little blunt when pointing out that we were Media Blasters, people who license anime, and we do not do bootleg. He left in a hurry. Ohh, and there was loads of bootleg this and that at the show.
For ACen 2012 pics go to http://www.scottyspot.com/acen2012.htm. If you want a full size pic PM me with an email address and tell me which one you would like.

I'm the Emperor of the Left Half of the Universe. I also have cool non-con pics here ---> http://voice0freason...t.com/gallery/?

I need a girlfriend.... No, really.

#7 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

Please, let us know about that. We have a policy against bootlegs.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#8 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

Do you remember any of the names of the sellers that had the bootleg items? If so send me a PM and I will contact my dept head. At the convention if you do see any bootleg items you can report them to the Exhibit Space staff which are located at the staff table and roaming around. We were next to the Acen Merch booth this year and we are pretty easy to spot out. Unka Josh is correct in saying that we do have a policy against bootlegs and we try to prevent people selling them as much as we possibly can.

This post has been edited by Ska_Toranpetta : 03 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#9 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

Now I'm worried that the one dvd box set I got is bootlegged :/ I hope it's not.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#10 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

View Postkungpowkirby, on 03 June 2010 - 02:47 AM, said:

I saw many figures that were not packaged myself.... Of course I got lost in the vender hall many MANY times, so alas I could not tell you which ones they were....

Unpackaged figures aren't always bootlegs. A lot of dealers will sell trading figures that have been pre-opened so you know who you're getting, and sometimes they'll take a figure out of the box to display it so people can see it better.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#11 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

Everything I saw was packaged, not to mention a little out of my price range on a few things.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#12 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

There's a few sites online to help identify if you have a bootleg, that might put your mind at ease. Box sets are a little less likely, cause reproducing artboxes isn't worth their while. It's usually just individual dvds.

Yes, sadly getting stuff like a commercial wrapper isn't too difficult these days, so that's harder to use for most things. For figures, they should HAVE the package even if they've taken it out (like the random ones).
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#13 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

I will try and make this as clear as possible. If it sounds blunt, I apologize.

If any individual happens to see bootlegs at ACen (or any other convention for that matter) please report it to the Exhibit Space Staff.
Please also be prepared to provide the following information, to speed up the process:
1. Item sold / or being displayed
2. The Vendor name / or booth placement
3. How you know its bootleg and why
4. Your name and if you have ever been affiliated with another vendor

Be prepared to walk with the staff to properly identify the booth in question, without pointing, and we will handle the matter.

Bootleg claims are a serious matter, and we will handle them and any removal procedures accordingly.

To be completely honest, complaining after the fact does not help us solve your particular instance, but we will keep our eyes open. Unfortunately we did not have the item in question, or a visual of said item. We did not have actual evidence of who was selling said item or who sold said item. We don't know if you are a concerned individual/vendor/artist/etc... or this is something else entirely.

So in conclusion...
If you see any bootlegs NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY!! It will help us improve the convention that we all enjoy!!
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#14 User is offline   Elf From Space 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 9701

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

I'm sorry, I saw a few items I'm nearly sure were bootlegs, but I did not report them. I was considering reporting them and then I got distracted and forgot about it. ;_;

Specifically the items were some nice posters in a booth in the back corner that were very uniform. Usually posters are on normal poster stock, or they're actual wallscrolls, but these were on a plastic material and they were posters from all sorts of series which were very common images, but I'd never seen any in poster form before. Instead of having a copyright mark anywhere on them, they were numbered. I even asked the vendor if they were bootleg and she got very defensive saying she'd never push anything on anyone and I didn't have to buy anything, which seemed awful fishy. This booth also had some of those keychains that have a somewhat low quality image embedded in the center of clear plastic and which also lacked copyright info. But these were mixed in with legitimate keychains.

Additionally at another booth I saw some of the anime themed playing cards which I used to collect before I found out that most of them are actually bootleg. They're such a nice item, giving you tons of images for a low price and they're fun to play with too. They usually come in a hard, clear plastic case. But when I asked about them a few years back I was informed that they weren't there because they're bootleg. This is the first year I've seen them back in the dealer's room.

As a tip for people, look for copyright info on merchandise to be sure it's legit.

#15 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

View PostElf From Space, on 09 June 2010 - 10:34 PM, said:

I'm sorry, I saw a few items I'm nearly sure were bootlegs, but I did not report them. I was considering reporting them and then I got distracted and forgot about it. ;_;

Specifically the items were some nice posters in a booth in the back corner that were very uniform. Usually posters are on normal poster stock, or they're actual wallscrolls, but these were on a plastic material and they were posters from all sorts of series which were very common images, but I'd never seen any in poster form before. Instead of having a copyright mark anywhere on them, they were numbered. I even asked the vendor if they were bootleg and she got very defensive saying she'd never push anything on anyone and I didn't have to buy anything, which seemed awful fishy. This booth also had some of those keychains that have a somewhat low quality image embedded in the center of clear plastic and which also lacked copyright info. But these were mixed in with legitimate keychains.

Additionally at another booth I saw some of the anime themed playing cards which I used to collect before I found out that most of them are actually bootleg. They're such a nice item, giving you tons of images for a low price and they're fun to play with too. They usually come in a hard, clear plastic case. But when I asked about them a few years back I was informed that they weren't there because they're bootleg. This is the first year I've seen them back in the dealer's room.

As a tip for people, look for copyright info on merchandise to be sure it's legit.

I have a bit of good news about part of your experience...

Those posters you saw were bootleg, and my team found that particular vendor. Due to the material and the circumstances surrounding their bootleg material, the vendor will no longer be permitted at any Anime Central event.

As for the cards.. if you have any information pertaining to the circumstances surrounding that instance, I would greatly appreciate an email (that will be kept confidential) explaining the situation, so we can make sure it doesn't happen next year. Some times records get misplaced over the years.

Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#16 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

Bootlegs are currently being sold on this Forum in the anime sell/trade section. I am having trouble stopping this action here.

#17 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & ACen Secretary
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on 14 June 2010 - 08:53 PM, said:

Bootlegs are currently being sold on this Forum in the anime sell/trade section. I am having trouble stopping this action here.

pm me with the topic
Convention Officer:Secretary 2009-2014
MAPS Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#18 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

PM sent

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic