Anime Central Forums: House Approves Repeal Of Gay Ban In Military - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

House Approves Repeal Of Gay Ban In Military Finally, we're getting somewhere

#1 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

So I was taking a look at the news today, and I happed to stumble upon an interesting article which.....In my opinion is long overdue in this country, it seems the military will leave homosexuality alone finally and allow all sexual orientations to serve. +1 for progress...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100528/ap_on_...s_gays_military

Story ^
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#2 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:32 PM

Great lets just let them dress how they wish also, so the world can make fun of the americans again, nothing but a temptation for same sex living with same sex, unless they can keep their pants on.

There was nothing wrong about being mum about the subject both ways, as a conservative this is how I view it,

Many if not most of you will disagree with me I know, but there are some things I stand against as a catholic. and dont talk to me about the homosexual priests they are finaly doing something about it after five years.

signed Jeremy manga1

#3 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

View Postmanga1, on May 27 2010, 10:32 PM, said:

Great lets just let them dress how they wish also, so the world can make fun of the americans again, nothing but a temptation for same sex living with same sex, unless they can keep their pants on.

There was nothing wrong about being mum about the subject both ways, as a conservative this is how I view it,

Many if not most of you will disagree with me I know, but there are some things I stand against as a catholic. and dont talk to me about the homosexual priests they are finaly doing something about it after five years.

signed Jeremy manga1

Apparently homosexuals aren't people. I thought God loved everyone. I also never knew I couldn't live with another female. :rolleyes:

I'm glad there is progress. Homosexuals need to stop being discriminated and treated like they aren't human beings and this is a great start.

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#4 User is offline   Sweet Sunshine 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19529

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

*cheer*

Because gays can sure as hell fight as well as straights. XD +1 for progress indeed. Now let's hope there's not a rise in homosexual abuse in the military, cause then we might have to go tear people up. D: I'd sure knock a guy in the face for such foolishness.

This post has been edited by Sweet Sunshine: 27 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

#5 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 22845

Post icon  Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

View Postmanga1, on May 27 2010, 10:32 PM, said:

Blah blah I am scurred of dem same sex lovin' peoples.

I am too lazy to argue, and also it's pointless. :lol:

Finally, jeez. Can they has marriage, already? >_>

ACen '12
Gamzee Makara (Homestuck)
Prospit!Gamzee (Homestuck)
God Tier!John (Homestuck)

#6 User is offline   Sweet Sunshine 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

*snooooort* XD I love you Momo. So much.

But yeah, next step marriage plx? :D

#7 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

View PostSweet Sunshine, on May 27 2010, 11:39 PM, said:

*cheer*

Because gays can sure as hell fight as well as straights. XD +1 for progress indeed. Now let's hope there's not a rise in homosexual abuse in the military, cause then we might have to go tear people up. D: I'd sure knock a guy in the face for such foolishness.

Considering that most people in the military know who is gay in their units I don't see much change. For years the gay ban has been nothing more then a public show and a way for people to get out of military service.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#8 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

View Postjsieczkar, on May 27 2010, 10:43 PM, said:

Considering that most people in the military know who is gay in their units I don't see much change. For years the gay ban has been nothing more then a public show and a way for people to get out of military service.

If anything, it's a lift of a prejudiced rule that may or may not have had any effect on enlisting future soldiers.
ACen '12

#9 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 31104

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:46 PM

Yay, maybe now they will stop taking competent members of the military out of Iraq just cause they are intolerant of their sexual orientation.
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."
~*~ Behold my Manga, Cosplay, Artwork and Facebook ! ~*~
Look for me as time skip Sanji from One Piece at ACen 2012!

#10 User is offline   Sweet Sunshine 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:46 PM

@Momo - Truth~ The message of repealing the bill will probably have more effect than the repeal itself.

@Humon - Here here. :D

(Sorry for the dork replies, my quote isn't working too well D:)

This post has been edited by Sweet Sunshine: 27 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

#11 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

I don't ever recall mentioning anything about religion Manga, you really should keep things like that under the table....If you don't like it, ignore it, let me teach you a little history lesson.... The Roman army promoted same-sex relationships within their services BECAUSE.....A) It boosted morale to have someone you care about along side you on the field of battle, and B) It caused them to fight harder to protect the ones they love, sorry but I just don't think I can validate your reasoning based on religious beliefs.
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#12 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

Whoever wants to face IEDs, snipers, and the like.... by all means let them!

#13 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

about damn time. stupid obama promising this the second he gets into office and then needing to be FORCED kicking and screaming to do what he promised.

most other industrial countries in the world don't even have problems like this, because most ever other
industrial country isn't as obsessively religious and superstitious as america; most other countries are 'laughing'
at us for taking this long to catch up with the rest of the modern world.

#14 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

I find it hard to understand how people can be part of a religion that claims to preach love for all people and then turns around and condemns people for, well, being in love. There's a reason I'm Theist. Let's just keep religion out of it. =/

+1 for progress, and equality. <3
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#15 User is offline   Aizen_sama 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 57905

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on May 27 2010, 11:56 PM, said:

about damn time. stupid obama promising this the second he gets into office and then needing to be FORCED kicking and screaming to do what he promised.

most other industrial countries in the world don't even have problems like this, because most ever other
industrial country isn't as obsessively religious and superstitious as america; most other countries are 'laughing'

This country as a whole is so far behind the rest of the world, Math, Science, Energy, Literature, Education system.

I have to chuckle when i hear people from other countries saying how much they want to live here, how much better it would be to live in a "Free" society. what a joke.
Always up for conversation about anime's, so send me a Pm anytime, or a message on Facebook.
X-Box Gamertag- Killerray287

2010 Cosplay- TYL Yamamoto Takeshi (KHR) 100%
2011 Cosplay- Itachi Uchiha 100%
2012 Cosplay- Up in the Air

#16 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on May 27 2010, 10:56 PM, said:

View PostAizen, on May 27 2010, 11:13 PM, said:

This country as a whole is so far behind the rest of the world, Math, Science, Energy, Literature, Education system.
I have to chuckle when i hear people from other countries saying how much they want to live here, how much better it would be to live in a "Free" society. what a joke.

...............the what? :wacko:

#17 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

View PostKhemia, on May 27 2010, 10:51 PM, said:

I don't ever recall mentioning anything about religion Manga, you really should keep things like that under the table....If you don't like it, ignore it, let me teach you a little history lesson.... The Roman army promoted same-sex relationships within their services BECAUSE.....A) It boosted morale to have someone you care about along side you on the field of battle, and B) It caused them to fight harder to protect the ones they love, sorry but I just don't think I can validate your reasoning based on religious beliefs.

Wow, I learned something. The history buff in me is satisfied :3

Also, my feelings on the subject.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#18 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:09 PM

I dont hate gay people, only the choice to live it. Yes Jesus hung out with degenerates and prostatutes and others that no one else would but then he told them go and sin no more, and changed hearts in doing so.

Keep my faith under the table, is something I cant do. I am first and foremost a Latin Mass Roman Catholic.

I speak out what I feel, I know that many of you are from chicago, and for many Obama is someone also from chicago, so you might in general love him, and he is your homeboy so to speak, but I just cant agree with some of his decisions about the course of the contry.

I like that we have a minority president, and that he hails from the midwest you know how long it has been since we have had anything but a southerner for presedent? I just dont like many of his decisions, and I feel that his progressivism is doing bad damage to our very way of life.

I know very well there are many homosexuals among the anime community, I am even friends with Reipoker, you might know him as moon man, from ohayocon or yumacon, he is the guy that dresses up as sailor moon, he is about as gay as they come, hes also one of the nicest people I know from the anime community, and accepting, he knows how I feel and I know his thoughts on the issue, and we accept that fact.

I also know that my beloved house music also came from a gay disco in chicago called the wherehouse nightclub, and that there is a large homosexual population in chicago, and I know that they say politics in chicago has an interesting history maybe even further back then the era of Al "Scarface" Capone.

Yet I love the city it has lots of history, It used to be a powerhouse in the meat industry, and has several of the largest buildings in the world like McCormick place, Walace Tower, Merchandise Mart,and the largest opera house in the world, and has its share of great architecture, from Wright and other old churches and buildings.

as for same sex barricks I am just saying its like a buffet for some, like putting an drunk in a bar it could entice them.

I am a nice guy really, I am just as friendly as most of the people at acen, even if I come across as a bigot.
I just happen to be a social conservative and wear my faith out in the open.
but as a minor in religious studies I know that not everyone sees things the way I do, and that is part of my curiosity about how other cultures religious practices make their minds tick.

signed Jeremy manga1

#19 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:12 PM

View Postmanga1, on May 28 2010, 12:09 AM, said:

I dont hate gay people, only the choice to live it. Yes Jesus hung out with degenerates and prostatutes and others that no one else would but then he told them go and sin no more, and changed hearts in doing so.

Keep my faith under the table, is something I cant do. I am first and foremost a Latin Mass Roman Catholic.

I speak out what I feel, I know that many of you are from chicago, and for many Obama is someone also from chicago, so you might in general love him, and he is your homeboy so to speak, but I just cant agree with some of his decisions about the course of the contry.

I like that we have a minority president, and that he hails from the midwest you know how long it has been since we have had anything but a southerner for presedent? I just dont like many of his decisions, and I feel that his progressivism is doing bad damage to our very way of life.

I know very well there are many homosexuals among the anime community, I am even friends with Reipoker, you might know him as moon man, from ohayocon or yumacon, he is the guy that dresses up as sailor moon, he is about as gay as they come, hes also one of the nicest people I know from the anime community, and accepting, he knows how I feel and I know his thoughts on the issue, and we accept that fact.

I also know that my beloved house music also came from a gay disco in chicago called the wherehouse nightclub, and that there is a large homosexual population in chicago, and I know that they say politics in chicago has an interesting history maybe even further back then the era of Al "Scarface" Capone.

Yet I love the city it has lots of history, It used to be a powerhouse in the meat industry, and has several of the largest buildings in the world like McCormick place, Walace Tower, Merchandise Mart,and the largest opera house in the world, and has its share of great architecture, from Wright and other old churches and buildings.

as for same sex barricks I am just saying its like a buffet for some, like putting an drunk in a bar it could entice them.

I am a nice guy really, I am just as friendly as most of the people at acen, even if I come across as a bigot.
but as a minor in religious studies I know that not everyone sees things the way I do, and that is part of my curiosity about how other cultures religious practices make their minds tick.

signed Jeremy manga1

..is it possible you're afraid of homosexual urges in your own subconscious? and that you feel because you can ignore those feelings, others should as well?

#20 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:20 PM

This is definitely a step in the right direction!

@manga1

Dude, stop that. I'm Catholic, too, but would rather not be associated with the intolerant bunch of "religious" folk like you. It's this sort of thing that gives Catholicism a bad name.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#21 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29662

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

After the whole stupid Prop 8 and one of the states revoking the right for legal gay legal unions, this is a good step forward. I'll never fully understand why it's seen as a stigma in the first place. It really defies logic and understanding for anyone to fear something which is at the very best a sexual fetish for members of the same gender and at the very "worst" a genetic predisposition.

I went to an all guy's navy school and knew a couple of gay classmates and it never effected our education, activities or interactions. They just had boyfriends instead of girlfriends. What is the big deal.

This said, I make a big deal out of the news because I think it's a human right for people to be treated decently, no matter which partner they chose to sleep with. Heaven knows I don't see what anyone else does in bed. So why should it bother me who it's with.

#22 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

Jesus hung with people, I know, but I'm not Jesus.

Religion must be the forefront of all topics. I cannot live any other way.

I speak about what I feel. I hate our president. You must love him because he's from Chicago.

I thought I'd mention he's black for no reason. I'm refreshed he's a homeboy. I feel that trying to move the nation forward will change our way of life.

Some of my best friends are gay people, so I don't hate them.

Seriously. Gay people have given me so much, like music and stuff.

This is a great city and that is awesome.

But you know, if there are gay people, it will totally make other people gay.

Just because I talk about this stuff doesn't make me a bad person. (out of joke comment: it really doesn't. I'm being a jerk by doing this. Please forgive me)

I am curious about other cultures, but refuse to accept their viewpoints as mine is too important.

signed Jeremy manga1

These reads like you're just thinking about what people will say and arguing their imaginary rebuttals, rather than engaging in discussion on the subject. This kind of conversational shadow boxing is... mesmerizing to look at.

PS: I am really sorry. I will feel bad about this for weeks.

This post has been edited by Stkbayfield: 27 May 2010 - 11:30 PM

#23 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:30 PM

No to question one we all have a few at one time or another, and it is one thing from the standpoint of faith to acknowlege you are homosexual but its not sin till its acted on, you may think I am just hiding behind the mask of faith but, this is how I feel, and remember there are differant types of love, like romantic love, and storgie or deep friendship, or a mothers love of her child, second only to love from above if one takes this worldview of the abrahamic traditions.

I know not everyone agrees with this worldview nor shares it, but I am trying to express where I am comming from.

I am also aware the ancent greeks thought of male male relationship was the highest of all, and the rich often partook of it regularly like Alexander the great. Kind of gross to me but I have known about this for years and came to terms with it, but that does not mean I agree with it.

signed Jeremy manga1

#24 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:36 PM

It really is doing no good to bat this back and forth. The opinions are different, and
it should just be left at that. IMHO, if manga1 isn't blatantly bashing and degrading
homosexuals, he should be left to his own ideals. I have no problem with differing
views as long as people aren't trying to shove them down others' throats, which I
don't think that he's doing. He may not agree with homosexuality, but he's not
being rude or nasty about it, I don't think.

His opinion differs vastly from mine, but to each his own.

ACen '12

#25 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:39 PM

I actually agree on that one, Aiko. A single person's opinion will not change the flow of the tide, and for it to be stated or unstated will not change much either.

To be honest, I'm happier when someone tries to state their opinions in-depth because you know where they're coming from and in most cases you know there is no geniune malice or ill intent to be found. In terms of my "edit" reply, this was purely made out of amusement to the erratic nature of the post, moreso the content.

I have a feeling this topic may end up caving on Manga1, so for the time being, let us simply say I respect your opinion on the matter, and I know you respect ours as much.

#26 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:46 PM

Sorry to everyone as I go off topic to respond to this...

signed Jeremy manga1

Let me first say sorry I'm doing some a bit of judging/criticizing myself here, but I'm just trying to voice my opinion and give you some tough love from someone with a bit of common background. :lol:

While I dislike labels and sub-labels of things (eg. denominations), I consider myself a Christian based on certain things I feel are truth and the way I want to live my life. I feel that judging anyone or things like the choices people make is "sin" in-of-itself, so frankly having hate in your heart for others for any reason is not a good thing based on what we believe. It doesn't follow the way of Jesus lived (aka. what the word "Christian" means). The only thing Jesus showed true anger at were hypocrites selling goods in the synagogues. Saying yeah... I'm cool with *those people*, but on the inside having other un-positive feelings about others isn't probably a heart filled with love. Sure, people have varying view points and emotions that that lead to discussion and sometimes conflict, but try to pull back and feel and think before throwing out judgment as we are not in any position to do that.

Throwing out... hey I'm this and that look at me will not garner a positive response from people who feel otherwise. I prefer to live my life and try to be a good example of what it is to be human. :lol:

Our president is mixed race, last I checked... Thought I'd throw that in. :lol:

This post has been edited by Scott: 28 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

#27 User is offline   Matt PNiewski 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 28392

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:07 AM

I've been trying to behave lately... But sometimes....

It's like kicking out Gay Scoutmasters because "Well, better safe than sorry." Even if they do go into same sex barracks, what, you think it's going to be mass gay screwing? That would require everyone be gay, and everyone be on Viagra. I have nothing against anything else you said, but this one is just so stupid, comes from nothing but a knee jerk reaction without any real thought outside of personal prejudice.
Jimmy Olsen to the Real Life Superheroes.

#28 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:22 AM

I've always been a believer that people should be able to serve regardless of orientation. I highly doubt that barracks would turn into a "buffet."

It might be headlines for a while, but bottom line is a homosexual has the same capabilities to serve as a heterosexual.
~~

#29 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

Another tempest in a teapot. Gays have been in the military since the Revolution...hell, Baron von Steuben was homosexual, and he trained the Continental Army how to fight. Washington was aware of Steuben's preference, but didn't give a damn because Steuben knew how to fight and get other men to fight as well. Somehow this country managed to get along--and do pretty damn well, I might add, in warfare--for the past 250 years without worrying about if Adam loved Eve or Steve.

However, I will add that the military exists for two reasons: one, to protect this nation and its interests, and two, to kill this nation's enemies. Anything else is crap. The military shouldn't be used for social engineering experiments. Gays can and should serve, if they choose, but like everyone, they must understand the consequences of their actions. I think it'll be okay, though--as long as gays who serve do so because they love their country and are willing to die for what it stands for, not because they want to get special treatment according to their sexual preference.

Manga1, I understand where you're coming from. As a fellow Catholic, I know the church holds homosexuality to be a sin. That said, I believe that God will judge gays just as He judges the rest of us. If what they're doing is sinful, then they will be judged on that. If it isn't, then there's nothing to worry about. We're only human and should not be the ones who make that judgement. That's my belief, anyway.

Which is one of the nice things about living in a free country. I can post that, and I can disagree with Pope Benedict all I like. If you want to know why people keep coming to this country, there's your first clue. Try being a gay person in Saudi Arabia. Try openly criticizing Vladimir Putin, Fidel Castro, or Hugo Chavez in their respective countries. For that matter, try being a Korean living in Japan.

I find it interesting that the people who criticize this country the most and accuse it of not being free strangely have no desire to move elsewhere...because they know they could never get away with saying such foolish statements wherever they end up.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#30 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:25 AM

being religious or a particular political affiliation does not give you the right to discriminate against anyone...period. I don't care what you believe in and I don't care what side of the political spectrum you choose to associate with, if you think that homosexuals or bisexuals are any less of people because of their lifestyle choice, than you sir are a bigot.

If you're okay with being that, fine, whatever, but don't try to play it off like you aren't or that its okay that you are because your religion allows you to be.

I just think the whole thing is funny. We've made this mistake how many times in history now and yet there are people who refuse to learn. Blacks are lesser people! oops, we kinda screwed that up, well its okay because women are definitely not as good as men...oops again...A few years from now, I truly hope that gays also fall into that category and people can finally accept them as being equals with equal rights. Who a person chooses to spend time with in the bedroom can not possibly make them any better or any worse of a person. And frankly, I don't understand why you or anyone else would even care.

And stop pointing to the bible. The bible says a lot of things that are no longer applicable to the modern world. Or are they still not allowing women to speak in church?
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users