Anime Central Forums: Are Naruto, And Other Anime Cosplayer At School, Nerds? - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Are Naruto, And Other Anime Cosplayer At School, Nerds? I read this in a magazine, I thin it was otaku USA, or something?

Poll: cosplaying as naruto, and etc. in school (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Does it make you a nerd, or is it completely normal?

1. nerd/geek/misguided people (29 votes [85.29%])

Percentage of vote: 85.29%

2. completely normal (5 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

Vote

#31 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:52 AM

mmm...Sango...

<__<...>_>...

any ways, the magazine never described how they classified it, they just apologized for using it.

This post has been edited by Kasin: 27 May 2010 - 01:53 AM

Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#32 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:54 AM

I want to hear from these 4 completely normal voters.

How do you guy feel about the article, and etc.
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#33 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:57 AM

You know, there is one piece of an anime characters clothing I wish I could incorporate into my wardrobe. Sometimes it gets boring wearing funny t-shirts and jeans. I'd like to spice it up somehow.

And I'd also like to be a science teacher, so when Halloween comes around...
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#34 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:11 AM

... ?

This post has been edited by Kasin: 27 May 2010 - 02:11 AM

#35 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:11 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on May 26 2010, 04:16 PM, said:

I disagree. Someone can still like Naruto, cosplay as Naruto, and own a lot of Naruto products, and not be a Narutard. Saying "Well, if you like Naruto in its current form, you're not a true fan" actually sounds more like a weeaboo than not, and if people want to cosplay as Naruto, what's wrong with that, as long as the cosplay is good? (If two guys can cosplay as the Mythbuster guys and have it be awesome, Naruto is no sweat.)

For instance, I liked Inu-Yasha even when it became The Inu-Yasha Filler Show (mainly because the fillers were often better than the actual storyline). I cosplay as Gendo Ikari, from a show that, until the recent reboot, had been off the air for almost a decade. And finally, I own more Inu-Yasha stuff than any other anime--though Eva is rapidly catching up--because I like the show and I find Sango and Kagura rather fetching for two-dimensional cel artwork.

None of that makes me an Eva-tard or an Inu-tard. I don't teach even my anime class in full Gendo cosplay, nor do I walk around all day barefoot because Inuyasha does it. I don't think I'm the evil Daddy Dearest of NERV and act accordingly, and I don't claim to be a hanyou. One reason is because I grew out of that about 22 years ago, but the main reason is because I am a fan of Evangelion and Inu-Yasha...not a fanatic.

And that's what a Narutard is--they're fanatics. These are the people who will flame you forevermore if you criticize anything about the series, or leave nasty reviews on Fanfiction.net because you wrote a Naruto story where Sakura got pregnant from Oromachi or something. They wear their Naruto ninja headgear everywhere, and try to master the hand gestures just right, and wildly criticize anyone who dares disagree with them. Nor is this restricted to Naruto...as anyone who watches Keith Olbermann or Glenn Beck can attest to.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"At least they don't kill people"

Okay, so I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but...how is it that everything you post is made out of pure truth? It astounds me.... :eek:

I'm going to be perfectly honest, though, even if cosplaying on any old day was perfectly acceptable, I think I'd still run in terror if Gendo Ikari walked into a room. Especially if it was in order to take charge of my education...
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#36 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29662

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on May 27 2010, 02:57 AM, said:

You know, there is one piece of an anime characters clothing I wish I could incorporate into my wardrobe. Sometimes it gets boring wearing funny t-shirts and jeans. I'd like to spice it up somehow.

And I'd also like to be a science teacher, so when Halloween comes around...

Being taught science by Washu would be an epic event for the one kid who knows what's going on. It would be a terrifying event for the rest who don't.

#37 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

View PostStkbayfield, on May 27 2010, 11:17 AM, said:

Being taught science by Washu would be an epic event for the one kid who knows what's going on. It would be a terrifying event for the rest who don't.

And that's why it would be funny. And once I get tenure, what are they going to do? It's Halloween!
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#38 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

View PostKasin, on May 26 2010, 04:25 AM, said:

Nerds were brainy. Geeks were in to scifi, and comic, and acted spazzy, or dweeby.

*Whew* I guess I better change my classification to "geek" before I tick any nerds off for being a poser! XD

View Postsentinel28a, on May 26 2010, 05:16 PM, said:

I disagree. Someone can still like Naruto, cosplay as Naruto, and own a lot of Naruto products, and not be a Narutard. Saying "Well, if you like Naruto in its current form, you're not a true fan" actually sounds more like a weeaboo than not, and if people want to cosplay as Naruto, what's wrong with that, as long as the cosplay is good? (If two guys can cosplay as the Mythbuster guys and have it be awesome, Naruto is no sweat.)

And that's what a Narutard is--they're fanatics. These are the people who will flame you forevermore if you criticize anything about the series, or leave nasty reviews on Fanfiction.net because you wrote a Naruto story where Sakura got pregnant from Oromachi or something. They wear their Naruto ninja headgear everywhere, and try to master the hand gestures just right, and wildly criticize anyone who dares disagree with them. Nor is this restricted to Naruto...as anyone who watches Keith Olbermann or Glenn Beck can attest to.

At first I was nodding at this post and then I was like :/

Regarding the second part of the post, it should be said that the term "narutard" has already been accepted by some of the Naruto fan population as a term of endearment. Think of it like how the word "otaku" to some means the original meaning and to others, a way to poke fun at oneself without all the actual negative connotations attached (huge fan of anime, manga, and all things related minus the lack of hygiene and real life skills).

#39 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

To be honest, I prefer the term "Naruterd." Calling them "Narutards" is an insult to those who are actually mentally retarded.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#40 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:45 AM

View Posttatterpillar, on May 27 2010, 05:06 PM, said:

*Whew* I guess I better change my classification to "geek" before I tick any nerds off for being a poser! XD

At first I was nodding at this post and then I was like :/

Regarding the second part of the post, it should be said that the term "narutard" has already been accepted by some of the Naruto fan population as a term of endearment. Think of it like how the word "otaku" to some means the original meaning and to others, a way to poke fun at oneself without all the actual negative connotations attached (huge fan of anime, manga, and all things related minus the lack of hygiene and real life skills).

Why the :/ ?

Kaay, it's called experience (and the college degrees don't hurt). It's the one nice thing about becoming an old fart. That and you gradually morph into Clint Eastwood.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"GET OFF MY LAWN"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#41 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:02 AM

POSERS BE GONE! LOL

We nerds are the bosses of tomorrow. :D j/k

IDK, most people who use narutard as a friendly word, do it because it's like taking back the word. Like a few other words , like "beaner". I say i'm 50% beaner, 50% cracker. I use it alot. However, I know when some one is using it to offend me, and this magazine didn't mean it in a nice way at all.

Which is why they said sorry, but still called them nerds.

This post has been edited by Kasin: 28 May 2010 - 02:07 AM

#42 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

Bump for (tangential) relevance XD

This post has been edited by wrexness: 01 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#43 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

Still want to heard from the other point of view :\

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users