A Hollywood Whitewash? 2 summer films in deep controversy

#1 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/...0,6501983.story

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and The Last Airbender are coming under fire because their cast are white. Read on.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Ryuko Matoi (Kill La Kill) and Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa) Friday and Saturday

#2 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

LolDisney...

What did you expect? It took them how many years to finally have an African American princess?

Also those movies are going to blooow so hardcore it is not even funny. My fiances sisters were watching the disney channel and they were playing a trailer thingy for the Prince of Persia movie and I burst out laughing. I was like WOOOW. And I told them how the game was and how crappy this movie is going to be and they had no idea. My first question though is WHY!?!?!? Why Disney!? Why would Disney make that game into a movie!? -___-

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#3 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on May 23 2010, 01:58 PM, said:

LolDisney...

What did you expect? It took them how many years to finally have an African American princess?

Also those movies are going to blooow so hardcore it is not even funny. My fiances sisters were watching the disney channel and they were playing a trailer thingy for the Prince of Persia movie and I burst out laughing. I was like WOOOW. And I told them how the game was and how crappy this movie is going to be and they had no idea. My first question though is WHY!?!?!? Why Disney!? Why would Disney make that game into a movie!? -___-

Well, they made movies out of their amusement park rides, why not games, I guess? *shrug*
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#4 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

The Last Airbender trailer actually doesn't look to bad so I am going to watch it before I cast it off prematurely.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and The Last Airbender are coming under fire because their cast are white. Read on.

People are idiots and the fact that they are making a fuss out of the cast being white is just stupid considering how many movies are released in a year that have a dominantly white cast. My god, why don't these people go attacking all the romantic comedies about white couples if race is such a big issue?
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#5 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

View PostTaiyakiZero, on May 23 2010, 02:32 PM, said:

The Last Airbender trailer actually doesn't look to bad so I am going to watch it before I cast it off prematurely.

People are idiots and the fact that they are making a fuss out of the cast being white is just stupid considering how many movies are released in a year that have a dominantly white cast. My god, why don't these people go attacking all the romantic comedies about white couples if race is such a big issue?

Lol this is true. They are making a big deal about it because it is Disney and anything that is famous the media will pick apart and try to point out each and every possible flaw. *le sigh* Its dumb but hey they are making money off of it as bad as that is.

@Wrex- I suppose you are right. Pirates of the Carribean ride gave us fantastic movies ...but Prince of Persia is just...no. Sorry Disney thats just wrong. Whats next? Shia Labeouf as Dante from DMC? *shudders*

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#6 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

I lol'd.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#7 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29662

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

I'm less offended by the skin tone of the lead and more so that they got a weak little wuss boy to play The Prince rather than a chizled new age Kurt Russel styled actor, no matter how much bulk Jake Gyllenhaal puts on, it is akin to casting Tobey Maguire to play King Leonadis. You just don't DO that.

But, hey. Video game movies always suck. Always. In my opinion, Silent Hill is the closest we've got so far to a decent one and that was only ruined because the script writers pussied out on the whole "vague and suspensful" approach in the third act.

This post has been edited by Stkbayfield: 23 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

#8 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on May 23 2010, 02:40 PM, said:

@Wrex- I suppose you are right. Pirates of the Carribean ride gave us fantastic movies ...but Prince of Persia is just...no. Sorry Disney thats just wrong. Whats next? Shia Labeouf as Dante from DMC? *shudders*

Even that thinking isn't fool proof either. Just look at Haunted Mansion. *shudders* And thanks a lot, you've just given me a nightmare about a DMC movie XD

This post has been edited by wrexness: 23 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#9 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17897

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

i dont care if the cast is white or not for prince of persia, you can make people look like another race with enough make-up, i mean they made Robert Downey Jr. black in Tropic Thunder, and as for Last Airbender it actually looks good for something M. Night Shamylan is making
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1107...mp;id=586119408
My internship

Belongs in Damn Thread, if found please return to Kii
Spam Squad Member spam kill count:29 , Troll Hunter troll kill count: 1

#10 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

View PostTiamat97, on May 23 2010, 08:49 PM, said:

i dont care if the cast is white or not for prince of persia, you can make people look like another race with enough make-up, i mean they made Robert Downey Jr. black in Tropic Thunder, and as for Last Airbender it actually looks good for something M. Night Shamylan is making

Uh... Downey Jr.'s blackface in Tropic Thunder was a parody of this exact phenomenom.

#11 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

View Postwrexness, on May 23 2010, 08:46 PM, said:

Even that thinking isn't fool proof either. Just look at Haunted Mansion. *shudders* And thanks a lot, you've just given me a nightmare about a DMC movie XD

I love the stories behind the characters in the Haunted Mansion. A few months ago, I spent days and days reading up on the characters from the ride and other neat stuff about it.

I then watch the movie and I am so sad because of how poorly the characters were portrayed. I would love to have them turn it into a horror film and not a comedy.

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#12 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

The word controversy is throuw around more than the woman who is dealing with sailors on shore leave.

And I'm sure that statement is more controversial than these two films combined.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#13 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

View PostTaiyakiZero, on May 23 2010, 02:32 PM, said:

i think people are making a big deal because they're casting whites as characters who weren't white, especially
in the case of things like prince of persia where his ethnicity is intrinsic and heavily important to the
themes of the series overall. if there was an action video game and the movie adaptation
decided to turn the story to a romantic comedy, people would be just as pissed off about it.

it's not that people are pissed simply at having white characters play leads, it's that there are so few
"cool" minority characters, taking the few positive characters that are there and casting them as white
just annoys some people. it'd be a much bigger controversy had it been the reverse: a middle eastern
guy cast as the new superman.

Shia Labeouf as Dante from DMC? *shudders*

are you the lone girl in the world who isn't absolutely in love with shia lebeouf????

#14 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 31104

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

I am not interested in either of those movies. Every time I see a commercial for the Prince of Persia I want to see it less.
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."
~*~ Behold my Manga, Cosplay, Artwork and Facebook ! ~*~
Look for me as time skip Sanji from One Piece at ACen 2012!

#15 User is offline   sere 

• Guest Relations Dispatch
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11324

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

I can't say that I am surprised by any of this, and I also can't say that I figured either of those would be any good as movies, so I'm not heartbroken. The controversy is pretty funny, IMO. As others have pointed out Hollywood has this knack for ignoring races other than caucasian all the time. What makes these two movies special?
♪ Akino Arai Fangirl ♪
♥ Registration Staff 2009 Guest Relations 2010-2011 ♥
☆ Mommy to one ☆

#16 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on May 23 2010, 09:14 PM, said:

are you the lone girl in the world who isn't absolutely in love with shia lebeouf????

I doubt I'm the only one lol
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#17 User is offline   sere 

• Guest Relations Dispatch
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11324

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:12 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on May 23 2010, 11:30 PM, said:

I doubt I'm the only one lol

You aren't. ^_~
♪ Akino Arai Fangirl ♪
♥ Registration Staff 2009 Guest Relations 2010-2011 ♥
☆ Mommy to one ☆

#18 User is offline   Matt PNiewski 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 28392

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

Shia is a good actor. Problem is, he's in the Transformers films.... He should "leave" like Megan Fox did.....

I take issue with Prince of Persia, because it seems the only reason for the change was to cast an A List actor who is unsuitable for the part. I would prefer the right ethnicities cast for a film like this, the location is in the frickin' title..... But had it been a case of "Well, this is the best person for the part" I wouldn't mind.

Last Airbender, however, is a cartoon. The countries are only loosely based off real ones anyway. Besides, M. Night Shylamalan has a talent for finding great young actors. I'm more confident in the casting than any other aspect of the movie (because that's the one area he's never disappointed- always has great casts and great performances). These characters aren't asian, indian, or white, they are just cartoon characters with vague ethnic traits. Does it really matter?
Jimmy Olsen to the Real Life Superheroes.

#19 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 57491

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

Seriously.
What the heck America.

Please, no. Forgive us for casting the members of this movie in the race of people who VASTLY OUTNUMBER ANYONE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY. We didn't have the time to fly to find you someone who's Persian and looks like the Prince and can act and SPEAK ENGLISH!
As for Avatar, the actor for Aang is Asian!

Oh no, please excuse us. There are only a couple different skin colors in our gene pool, but god knows how many different complexions there are of them. Sorry if a mass majority of those are WHITE.

America needs to grow up and stop having a hissy fit about every little detail.

#20 User is offline   Edgar Roni Figaro 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 57935

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

Hollywood: "Hey, lets make a new 50 cent movie...AND CAST EMINEM AS THE LEAD!!!"

Ok, bad example but...

Hollywood doesnt care about accuracy, they care about what will make them the most money.

Just like Megan Fox in Transformers, I believe it was Michael Bay himself who said the ONLY reason she was casted was cause she was hot and would draw in the pervs.

#21 User is offline   proxy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19396

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

The actor that's playing The Prince in The Prince of Persia makes me laugh...

"Wear sandles? No way!"

"Kiss a guy? Yes way!"

No offense to anyone.~

Anyway, well I'm use to how Hollywood do things.

Like in the Live Action Hollywood version of Akira, the city isn't going to be called, "Neo-Tokyo" is now going to be called, "Neo-Manhatten".

That's just the way Hollywood works. When they do remakes or live action movies, they never stick that close to the actual storyline.

#22 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:08 PM

View PostEdgar, on May 24 2010, 02:55 PM, said:

Hollywood: "Hey, lets make a new 50 cent movie...AND CAST EMINEM AS THE LEAD!!!"

Ok, bad example but...

Hollywood doesnt care about accuracy, they care about what will make them the most money.

Just like Megan Fox in Transformers, I believe it was Michael Bay himself who said the ONLY reason she was casted was cause she was hot and would draw in the pervs.

Speaking of which, Michael Bay personally fired her from the franchise. Something I personally don't care too much about as I'm not fond of Transformers, Bay or Fox, but still. It shows that in certain areas of Hollywood, not even the continuity and characters of a series is more important than the actors going into it.

To paraphrase, the actress being dropped from the project is more important to the movie than the character's plot being involved in it. They would rather drop the name attached to the movie and write around it.

Another fun example is the Resident Evil movies, in which the Mary Sue character "Alice" steals all the plot and screentime from the videogame the franchise is based off of and all of the characters from said videogame. Did we mention she's married to the director?

#23 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:57 AM

View PostStkbayfield, on May 25 2010, 05:08 AM, said:

Speaking of which, Michael Bay personally fired her from the franchise. Something I personally don't care too much about as I'm not fond of Transformers, Bay or Fox, but still. It shows that in certain areas of Hollywood, not even the continuity and characters of a series is more important than the actors going into it.

To paraphrase, the actress being dropped from the project is more important to the movie than the character's plot being involved in it. They would rather drop the name attached to the movie and write around it.

Another fun example is the Resident Evil movies, in which the Mary Sue character "Alice" steals all the plot and screentime from the videogame the franchise is based off of and all of the characters from said videogame. Did we mention she's married to the director?

Come to think of it, she is...and Alice is a total Mary Sue. (Though one that's easy on the eyes and fun to watch, I admit.)

Megan Fox is a talentless hack. She was basically there as eye candy, and apparently doesn't realize it. Every time she opens her yap, I just cringe, because she shows how vapid she truly is. I have a private dread that some Hollywood type will look at her and say "Oh yeah! She's TOTALLY Faye Valentine!"

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Bad enough we have Keanu as Spike"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#24 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:29 AM

*Shudder* Just hearing Megan Fox and Faye Valentine mentioned in the same sentance makes my skin crawl.

#25 User is offline   LADY SAKURA 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18295

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:24 AM

are you kidding me Megan Fox is the BEST actress out there ....*is struck by lightening*

they could have gotten the Saresh from Heroes to play the Prince suuure he's not Persian but he's gorgeous *drools*

im going to see both movies i dont care what other people think lol but really are we surprised about what Hollywood does ?? IM NOT
The Forum Seductress ^_~To be a Tekosexual you must first become one with the tentacles

Facebook Me
Check Art My Dev art page
AIM ME: dsbabygyrl2021

#26 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

View PostStkbayfield, on May 25 2010, 02:29 AM, said:

*Shudder* Just hearing Megan Fox and Faye Valentine mentioned in the same sentance makes my skin crawl.

Yeay! Thats less competition for me XD *points to profile pic*
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#27 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

I am offended becuase people are getting offended about pointless things. Who gives a d*mn what color or ethnicity a lead actor of a movie is unless, UNLESS, it differs from the original storyline/source of material that the movie was based off of. As long as they are good at acting or are a cool enough actor, I'm happy.
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#28 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

View PostTekoMuto, on May 25 2010, 11:59 AM, said:

I am offended becuase people are getting offended about pointless things. Who gives a d*mn what color or ethnicity a lead actor of a movie is unless, UNLESS, it differs from the original storyline/source of material that the movie was based off of. As long as they are good at acting or are a cool enough actor, I'm happy.

What if Disney made a remake of Hotel Rwanda with a white cast....@____@
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#29 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on May 26 2010, 07:37 AM, said:

What if Disney made a remake of Hotel Rwanda with a white cast....@____@

never seen/heard of it.
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#30 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

View PostTekoMuto, on May 25 2010, 11:59 AM, said:

That IS what people are upset about. Ignore Airbender for a moment. The article linked at the top showed that a lot of the Muslim community happened to be very pleased with Prince of Persia as a series as it was able to highlight some of the positive aspects of their culture during a historic period, and during a time when all the world ever hears is negative and horrible things about the middle east, having a mainstream movie which treats it's past culture with some respect would actually be a nice thing.

I'd like to say Disney did a 80% decent job at being respectful during Aladdin, sparring of course the lyrics to Arabian Nights, so it's not beyond them.

Of course, much like myself, the bloggers who are upset have not seen the movie. For all we know, Donnie Darko will do a great job.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users