Anime Central Forums: $90 And Nothing To Buy! - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

$90 And Nothing To Buy! Help me decide which game to get!

#1 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 57491

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

Okay, so now that ACen is over, I have some extra cash lying around... so I figure "Why not get a new game to play?"

But there's so many out there right now that I can't really decide which one would be the best option!
I have a PS3 and a DS, so if you could please tell me a few games that are awesome on either of those, I'll... bake you cookies.

Alright, I want to make it clear. I am NOT a Casual Gamer. I love video games and I don't like to put them down until I beat them 100%, twice. I will play video games for the rest of my life, because that's the only way I know how to spend it.

Looking for something that is:
-Somewhat time consuming (No less than 15 hours of Gameplay)
-Preferably an RPG, Action, Adventure, Platform, or Puzzle Game.
-has replay value

Current Mindset: 3D Dot Game Heroes / Pokemon Soul Silver
Possible Idea: Demon Souls / Phantasy Star Zero

Note: Please excuse if I get knit-picky. I don't usually have this much money on me at once and I'd really like to make sure I spend it on something I won't regret purchasing!
Second Note: Please do not discuss Final Fantasy XIII any longer. I already own the game, so there is no need to suggest/defend buying it.

This post has been edited by Fray: 21 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

#2 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

What are your likes? I'm a pretty hardcore gamer, so if you like teh good stuffs, I'll let you know what is good and all. lol
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#3 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29662

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:43 PM

Ended up buying a pair of Wii games with my spare ACEN dollars, but you have a PS3 and a DS.

If you're a fan of RPGs, please look into The World Ends With You on DS, it is by far the most original, enjoyable and immersive experience I have had the pleasure of playing on a handheld system and it would be a crime if the thing didn't become franchised.

Also, if you've not checked out the Castlevania games on DS, have a look at Dawn of Sorrow, it should be less than $20 by now and is still one of the best games on the system. Then you have the obligatory Mario titles, the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy remakes and Kingdom Hearts 358/2.

Oh and Ace Attorney. Totally get those.

As for PS3, I keep hearing that Bayonetta is an amazing little game and so worth time and money, plus there's always the RE5 and SF4 rereleases coming out. Though I lack a HD Generation console to give better advice, so I'm not sure.

#4 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

For the DS I recommend getting Osu Takadea Oendan 1 and 2. They are sooo much fun! That and Phantasy Star Zero ♥
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#5 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:51 PM

The World Ends with You for DS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0EhEm4r50Y...eos=wwVInLH9vlY

or, wait a few months and get Dragon Quest 9.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tBEjA70j2IU

but yeah, like someone already mentioned, TWEWY is probably the best rpg squarenix has done in years, and
possibly the best game on the system overall.

#6 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

Well since everyone is on the TWENY bus, it is defintely the best Square Enix game in a long long time. Dunno about best on the system, but it is up there. Only problem is, it's one of those games that you can only play once. It has no reply value not to mention it just doesn't feel fresh anymore.

BUT there is the epilogue where if you do certain things, you'll get large chunks of the story, explaining ALOT of what was left questioned.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#7 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

I've heard a lot about The World Ends With You, but something about it doesn't catch my interest.
I'm more inclined to get Pokemon Soul Silver if I were to buy something on the DS, tho.

Maybe something for the PS3?

#8 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

I take it you are a casual gamer then?

Well someone suggested Bayonetta. I would suggest against that if you are a casual gamer. No offense, but it might be a lil too hard for someone casual. Maybe Little Big Planet? I keep hearing that game is epic.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#9 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on May 21 2010, 06:06 PM, said:

I take it you are a casual gamer then?

Well someone suggested Bayonetta. I would suggest against that if you are a casual gamer. No offense, but it might be a lil too hard for someone casual. Maybe Little Big Planet? I keep hearing that game is epic.

Well as of late, I haven't had the time to play my games. But I'm a decently hardcore gamer.

Bayonetta? Ehhh.... Maybe not. From the reviews it got, it's only made me more certain that it's Devil May Cry for the Psychic. Hack-and-Slash games are also kinda bland.
As for Little Big planet, I've actually already got that! And I certainly love it. I can't wait until LBP2 comes out later this year 8D

I like my games with a serving of depth.

#10 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

Its hard to recommend something without knowing your tastes and what else you like. I mean I can tell you what I like and what I would but your tastes may not necessarily match mine...Still heres my recommendations.

DS: SMT: Strange Journey: If you're an old school RPG fan, this first person dungeon crawl may interest you. Like a lot of the SMT games you fight alongside of demons that you capture and combine to make more powerful ones. Its kinda like pokemon with a more adult theme in that respect. Also in typical SMT fashion the storyline is darker with an apocalyptic setting. The challenge on the game is moderate. Its nothing too bad, but if you go into a fight unprepared, you will die.

Final Fantasy 13: Obviously I'm sure you know of this title by now and whether you would like it or hate it. Personally I think its the best entry of the Sony generation.

3d Dot Game Heroes: If you like the 2d Zelda of old, you will enjoy this game. Though you'll need to do everything in the game likely to get 15 hours worth of enjoyment out of it. The game does have a lot of fun, challenging mini games though to do and master including things like tower defense and break out. Plus it has a cheaper $40 price tag on it.

Valkyria Chronicles: Yes a slightly older game, but still one of the best S-RPG games out there.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#11 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on May 21 2010, 06:46 PM, said:

Its hard to recommend something without knowing your tastes and what else you like. I mean I can tell you what I like and what I would but your tastes may not necessarily match mine...Still heres my recommendations.

DS: SMT: Strange Journey: If you're an old school RPG fan, this first person dungeon crawl may interest you. Like a lot of the SMT games you fight alongside of demons that you capture and combine to make more powerful ones. Its kinda like pokemon with a more adult theme in that respect. Also in typical SMT fashion the storyline is darker with an apocalyptic setting. The challenge on the game is moderate. Its nothing too bad, but if you go into a fight unprepared, you will die.

Final Fantasy 13: Obviously I'm sure you know of this title by now and whether you would like it or hate it. Personally I think its the best entry of the Sony generation.

3d Dot Game Heroes: If you like the 2d Zelda of old, you will enjoy this game. Though you'll need to do everything in the game likely to get 15 hours worth of enjoyment out of it. The game does have a lot of fun, challenging mini games though to do and master including things like tower defense and break out. Plus it has a cheaper $40 price tag on it.

Valkyria Chronicles: Yes a slightly older game, but still one of the best S-RPG games out there.

Shin Megami Tensei sounds interesting. I didn't know it had an entry on the DS tho. Perhaps I'll check that out.

FFXIII... No thank you. I've watched it through to the end twice, tried to play it, and I just can't. There's nothing about it that feels Final Fantasy and its not what I was expecting from Square. If they don't succeed with FF vs XIII, then my hopes of another masterpiece (like FF4 and FF6) are gone.

3D Dot Game Heroes had my interest back when it was just images in Playstation Magazine. I would definitely love to pick that one up, but I'm just not sure if there's something better I'd want. So I'll just set that as my default buy if I can't get into anything else suggested.

I've heard a lot of positive remarks about Valkria Chronicles. Could you tell me more about that?

#12 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

View PostFray, on May 21 2010, 07:59 PM, said:

Shin Megami Tensei sounds interesting. I didn't know it had an entry on the DS tho. Perhaps I'll check that out.

FFXIII... No thank you. I've watched it through to the end twice, tried to play it, and I just can't. There's nothing about it that feels Final Fantasy and its not what I was expecting from Square. If they don't succeed with FF vs XIII, then my hopes of another masterpiece (like FF4 and FF6) are gone.

3D Dot Game Heroes had my interest back when it was just images in Playstation Magazine. I would definitely love to pick that one up, but I'm just not sure if there's something better I'd want. So I'll just set that as my default buy if I can't get into anything else suggested.

I've heard a lot of positive remarks about Valkria Chronicles. Could you tell me more about that?

Final Fantasy will never be like 4 and 6 again. I have waited out every entry hoping to play those games once again and it will simply never happen. I feel like 13 is the closest we will ever get to a more hardcore entry in the series. Especially because a lot of casual gamers complained about it to no end. Square is going to cater to the fans and what makes them the most money. Pretty graphics and simple gameplay do.

Valkyria Chronicles is a mixture of turn based and real time strategy with some very mild FPS elements. At the start of the game, you'll have to recruit your army. Each character you recruit has certain personality traits about them. Like you can have someone with a dust allergy, someone who dislikes boys, or someone who is more accurate at mid range. Then during missions you'll get little penalties and bonuses based on these attributes. There are 5 character classes in the game. Scouts have the longest move range, Assault has the best gun, Engineers can repair tanks, heal people, fix cover, etc., snipers can well snipe, and lancers are your anti-tank rocket launcher guys.

At the start of missions you deploy your troops on a 2d overhead map of the area. You then select which individual troop to move and it switches to a 3rd person camera where you can now run and shoot with that character. It takes place in real time so any enemies that can see you will fire upon you while you are doing this. Firing at enemies is done via a first person camera where headshots will score you more damage.

Overall the gameplay is by far the most unique thing about this game. The storyline is slightly above average. Most everything is fairly predictable overall. A lot of the characters are fun, but they really don't spend any time developing anyone except for the few main characters. The overall difficulty on the game is fairly high unless you are one of those who saves after every action. Though some of that difficulty comes from just dumb luck. A computer may dodge your attacks forcing you to spend another turn icon to defeat an adversary or you may not be able to move enough to get a clear shot and have to hope you just get lucky and make the kill anyway.

Still overall its a solid game and were it not for Persona 4, probably would have been my game of the year a couple of years ago.
Armageddicon!!

#13 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

Wait, Casuals COMPLAINED about FFXIII? I heard otherwise. lol

It's too easy and lacking in huge depth with just an average story to even compare it to the old school FFs.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#14 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

3D Dot Game Heroes or NieR.

Or, better yet, Demon's Souls, if you don't have already.

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 21 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#15 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:51 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on May 21 2010, 08:34 PM, said:

It's too easy and lacking in huge depth with just an average story to even compare it to the old school FFs.

Really? I thought 13 was the most challenging game of the Sony generation. I actually had issues with more than a few bosses until I figured out their mechanics and how to strategize around them. I mean unless you sat there grinding, I'm not sure how anyone simply breezed through 13. I mean at the risk of sounding like a cocky ahole, I maybe die once or twice playing through your average sony gen FF game. But because you could retry any fight, they used that to create more challenging encounters.

Most of the complaints I've heard about 13 say that it just takes too long to get into. I disagree...It takes 25 hours maybe to unlock every little function and to be able to select your party, but honestly I felt those first 25 hours were the best of the game in a lot of ways. Because the game dictated your party, they were able to have fights that required you to have a certain party makeup in order to beat them. After that I felt like the boss fights got much less dynamic, though there still were a couple of good ones. And while you are right that the depth of gameplay simply wasn't there, I would argue that they offered a battle experience that you have never played before, ever. You could not compare 13's battle system to any RPG really. Instead of controlling your troops directly, you were more like a general commanding a small army. I very much appreciated that and it kept me interested in the battle system for the entire game which is very rare for me.

Still I enjoyed the story overall...Though maybe it was the characters I enjoyed more than the story. Regardless, I never really hit the point where I was just hoping the game would end because I was so bored with it.

And on a final note, yes Demon's Souls is another good pick.
Armageddicon!!

#16 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on May 21 2010, 07:51 PM, said:

Really? I thought 13 was the most challenging game of the Sony generation. I actually had issues with more than a few bosses until I figured out their mechanics and how to strategize around them. I mean unless you sat there grinding, I'm not sure how anyone simply breezed through 13. I mean at the risk of sounding like a cocky ahole, I maybe die once or twice playing through your average sony gen FF game. But because you could retry any fight, they used that to create more challenging encounters.

Most of the complaints I've heard about 13 say that it just takes too long to get into. I disagree...It takes 25 hours maybe to unlock every little function and to be able to select your party, but honestly I felt those first 25 hours were the best of the game in a lot of ways. Because the game dictated your party, they were able to have fights that required you to have a certain party makeup in order to beat them. After that I felt like the boss fights got much less dynamic, though there still were a couple of good ones. And while you are right that the depth of gameplay simply wasn't there, I would argue that they offered a battle experience that you have never played before, ever. You could not compare 13's battle system to any RPG really. Instead of controlling your troops directly, you were more like a general commanding a small army. I very much appreciated that and it kept me interested in the battle system for the entire game which is very rare for me.

Still I enjoyed the story overall...Though maybe it was the characters I enjoyed more than the story. Regardless, I never really hit the point where I was just hoping the game would end because I was so bored with it.

I dunno, with me, I've been breezing through the game. I've only had 3 hard bosses. Odin being one because I didn't understand chain bonuses yet (I thought Commando raised it. Well it does, but not like a ravager.) It gets hard towards the end, but then again, most FFs aren't really too difficult. After playing games like Etrian Odyssey and other hardcore RPGs, alot of rpgs can't be considered hard to me. I like the characters. (I was worried about Hope tho, he was the appeased the post FF7 fans character but I HATE Snow. So stupid and annoying I swear. SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERAH SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERAH. HAY GUIZ BELIEVE IN SERAH! *ignores OBVIOUS hatred* Hey hope, I'm a hero....and did I tell you about Serah yet? And don't get me started on Serah and her looking like pedobearbait lol)

I think the battle is what makes me think it's so casual. It basically can play itself. Granted you CAN choose your actions, but I think it's just more efficient to do auto battle, and worry about changing classes. Makes the battle less tedious at least I suppose.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#17 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

It was way too easy! It held your hand for a majority of the game, then let you run around an play for a bit before it took you by the hand and walked you through the last bit of gameplay. I am disappointed with 13 because its nothing like any other Final Fantasy, but not in a good way. No Victory Fanfare, No Crystal Theme, Characters were skin-deep, and the back-story was confusing and jumbled into a puzzle that changes too many times before the end of the game where you get the true story. The Retry system practically took the difficulty out of the game. If you die, you simply retry and appear 5 steps away from your enemy, switch up your paradigms and jump headfirst again.

I mostly compare 13 to 12 because they are very similar in a lot of ways, but I completely side with 12 more than 13. I defend 12 to the heart. People seem insulted at the gambit system, but completely accept the One-Player system in 13 (which I find as another downside to FF13). The characters in 12 had a lot of personality and had a deeper meaning to the story than the cast of 13, because it seems like they were all just randomly tossed into the mess that came from nowhere at all and their character developed with how well they dealt with the change from Civilian to Savior. The battle system was honestly way too fast paced for a game that usually needs more thought. You open up the battle menu and jumble in a number of attacks just to get damage in. Otherwise you use spam one specific attack for lack of planning. The music just didn't seem right to me. It all felt like the same identical song varied with certain aspects to fit a theme. I much prefer the Hunt System as it was in 12, because that actually had you hunt them down. 13 just gave you the mission and pointed you right at it, making them all Fetch and Reward missions than Hunting.

It really was just not the Final Fantasy for me. Sure, it opens up new possibilities for gameplay, but where it succeeded in that, it lacked everywhere else. I'm too much of a classic Final Fantasy Fan to bite into the "Next Gen" feel they tried to feed us.

As for Demon Souls... Sounds nice. I heard its not that bad if you just learn to save often.

View PostXenoBlade, on May 21 2010, 07:34 PM, said:

Probably not, but I'm not a Casual Gamer. I will play Video Games for the rest of my life, and that is the only way I know how to do it.

#18 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:23 PM

Demon's Souls autosaves. So there really is no oh crap I screwed up, load option. You can learn to abuse the gameplay mechanics though and if you do that, the game isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be.
Armageddicon!!

#19 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on May 21 2010, 08:23 PM, said:

Demon's Souls autosaves. So there really is no oh crap I screwed up, load option. You can learn to abuse the gameplay mechanics though and if you do that, the game isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

Not on a close enough occasion apparently. People are always saying it's impossible as crack and you can't kill the first boss.
There's just a lot about the game that looks cool to me. Just how realistically it plays. Unforgiving as much as reality is.

#20 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

Easily it was the most challenging Sony FF game. It's not even close. Is it like the classics? Hell no. But that's not really a bad thing. JRPGs, while fun, need to evolve. You can't copy-pasta gameplay from the 8/16-bit games anymore and hold peoples' attention. With literally every other Final Fantasy game there would be a point where I could face ANY enemy in the game and just pound the X button until the enemy falls - looking at the screen was optional. Even after you've fully maxed out on XIII, there are still enemies out there that will wipe you out if you don't pay attention.

It didn't feel like a Final Fantasy game, this is true, but you have to advance. There's things would've done differently, but I feel it's going in the right direction (especially after XI).
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#21 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

View Postwrexness, on May 21 2010, 08:44 PM, said:

Easily it was the most challenging Sony FF game. It's not even close. Is it like the classics? Hell no. But that's not really a bad thing. JRPGs, while fun, need to evolve. You can't copy-pasta gameplay from the 8/16-bit games anymore and hold peoples' attention. With literally every other Final Fantasy game there would be a point where I could face ANY enemy in the game and just pound the X button until the enemy falls - looking at the screen was optional. Even after you've fully maxed out on XIII, there are still enemies out there that will wipe you out if you don't pay attention.

It didn't feel like a Final Fantasy game, this is true, but you have to advance. There's things would've done differently, but I feel it's going in the right direction (especially after XI).

True, games need to move on, but the way that FFXIII pulled it off was in my honest opinion, taking a look at many other games around it as well, not the right way to do it. It's only a hop ahead of the fighting system for Kingdom Hearts, although a good game itself, not right for the game. Its also too close to the Hack-and-slash style from all your favorite God Of War/Devil May Cry games. Too much: see an enemy, mercilessly assault it with combos until it dies, heal when you get low on health, rinse repeat. Looking back into Final Fantasy, it is a very drastic change from Final Fantasy 12. While 12 allowed you to take time and survey your options, 13 forces you to act or die. Although if you die in 13, no problem. You can restart the battle after tossing up you Paradigms.

Honestly, FFXIII wasn't the right way to go. It was too far, too soon.
I have faith that the next 13 installment will be much more appealing.

#22 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

*shrug* Well, agree to disagree, because I think XII was awful all around and XIII was an improvement over it in every aspect.

#23 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

View Postwrexness, on May 21 2010, 09:13 PM, said:

*shrug* Well, agree to disagree, because I think XII was awful all around and XIII was an improvement over it in every aspect.

Now how can you say that after beating XIII? You can't complain about the Gambit system because is that not what 13 has? You only control one character while your allies do everything automatically. It would be like playing 12 with the first player without gambits and the others with.

#24 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

View PostFray, on May 21 2010, 09:16 PM, said:

Now how can you say that after beating XIII? You can't complain about the Gambit system because is that not what 13 has? You only control one character while your allies do everything automatically. It would be like playing 12 with the first player without gambits and the others with.

It's called implementation. You can have two very similar systems, yet one implements it better than the other. Look at games like Prototype and inFAMOUS. By all accounts, they're very similar games. Free-roaming/sandbox action games where you play as a lone superhero/villain fighting to uncover the source of the accident that caused your transformation. But they are NOT the same (in my opinion, the latter does it better).

And while we're at it, the Persona games have a system not so dissimilar from that present in 12/13. You control one character completely while you give general directions to the rest of your party (partner X heals, partner Y uses physical attacks, partner Z tries to exploit weaknesses, for example). But I don't think anyone would say they have the same system.

13 added depth to the battle system while picking up the pace of battles that - let's be honest - have pretty much always been the slowest and weakest part of any FF game. Story, characters, and exploration are all far more valuable to the franchise than the battle system. 12 lacked pretty much all of that.

#25 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

View PostFray, on May 21 2010, 09:29 PM, said:

Not on a close enough occasion apparently. People are always saying it's impossible as crack and you can't kill the first boss.
There's just a lot about the game that looks cool to me. Just how realistically it plays. Unforgiving as much as reality is.

Oh it does a great job of being unforgiving without being unfair. I'm just saying its very possible to abuse the game mechanics and reduce the difficulty. Not as much at first, but once you beat the first couple of bosses. It is a great game overall. I love the online component as well.
Armageddicon!!

#26 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:39 PM

View Postwrexness, on May 21 2010, 09:25 PM, said:

It's called implementation. You can have two very similar systems, yet one implements it better than the other. Look at games like Prototype and inFAMOUS. By all accounts, they're very similar games. Free-roaming/sandbox action games where you play as a lone superhero/villain fighting to uncover the source of the accident that caused your transformation. But they are NOT the same (in my opinion, the latter does it better).

And while we're at it, the Persona games have a system not so dissimilar from that present in 12/13. You control one character completely while you give general directions to the rest of your party (partner X heals, partner Y uses physical attacks, partner Z tries to exploit weaknesses, for example). But I don't think anyone would say they have the same system.

13 added depth to the battle system while picking up the pace of battles that - let's be honest - have pretty much always been the slowest and weakest part of any FF game. Story, characters, and exploration are all far more valuable to the franchise than the battle system. 12 lacked pretty much all of that.

I cannot disagree with you more!
Final Fantasy 13 gave you 6 people who were almost haphazardly tossed into the plot, by literally being tagged by this ancient deity-monster that sought to revive a different deity-monster, in which you don't know about until the last 25 hours of horrendous grinding. The characters developed their roles in the game by how they coped with the change from being a normal person to the Savior of Cocoon, in which I couldn't have grown more sick of watching. Among my most hated are Hope, Snow, and Vanille. Sahz atleast has common sense and Fang is witty enough for me to smile at. As for Light, well, atleast she's a figure head among the group. As for exploration, you have to be kidding me. you run through more than 25 hours of game play on a single track until you get a slight glimpse at free roam. Even so, it is short lived because it only holds about 10 hours of game play before you jump onto another track for the last 10 hours of the game. Final Fantasy took out so much that made Final Fantasy what it is!

#27 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

Final Fantasy 12 had a lead who literally added nothing to the plot. Did anyone really care about Vaan? At least all of the characters from 13 added something to the story, even if they weren't the most likable.

As for exploration, while 13 lacked a lot, that's honestly been missing since the PS1 days. This is not something I'll dispute, and every time a Final Fantasy is released without the option to fly an airship on your own, a part of myself dies. I just felt that compared to 12, 13 had far more redeeming qualities.

This post has been edited by wrexness: 21 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

#28 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:55 PM

View Postwrexness, on May 21 2010, 09:44 PM, said:

Final Fantasy 12 had a lead who literally added nothing to the plot. Did anyone really care about Vaan? At least all of the characters from 13 added something to the story, even if they weren't the most likable.

As for exploration, while 13 lacked a lot, that's honestly been missing since the PS1 days. This is not something I'll dispute, and every time a Final Fantasy is released without the option to fly an airship on your own, a part of myself dies. I just felt that compared to 12, 13 had far more redeeming qualities.

Obviously you didn't pay attention to the first few cutscenes in the game. Vaan is with the group because it was his brother who was killed on the night that Gabranth (Basch's twin brother) betrayed the king. His brother was the only bit of family he had left, and he was just killed in the middle of a betrayal. If that doesn't justify revenge, nothing else does.

If you die inside when you can't pilot your own airship, you should be LOATHING FFXIII. You never ONCE step foot in a single airship that your party owns. You're whisked around by magic rocks the entire game. Final Fantasy 12 was also -completely- free roam! How could you accept FFXIII having any bit remarkable exploration after such degradation from complete open world to single track dungeons and one open field?

#29 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

I'll second the notion of VC and DS on the PS3 that Felf has mentioned.

#30 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

It sounds to me like you 2 just want different types of game. You guys seem to be arguing the personal preference of linear gameplay vs free roam. Some people like FF10 and 13, some people like Fallout. To each their own.
Armageddicon!!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users