Anime Central Forums: Conchair Asks Advice: How Do I Limit The Damage? - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Conchair Asks Advice: How Do I Limit The Damage?

#61 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

Maybe Acen 14's theme should be...For justice! There is a lot of anime titles with justice loving characters.
Currently writing a book.

#62 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

View PostNeko_master_Luna, on May 23 2010, 10:18 AM, said:

Maybe Acen 14's theme should be...For justice! There is a lot of anime titles with justice loving characters.

...*pokes* Wrong thread ^.^''
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#63 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29213

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

Caught vandals should be forced to perform a live demonstration of seppuku on the main stage. XD

I think conwatch is a great idea. I'm not so much for rewards on reporting vandals tho. What would stop false accusations to try and get free swag? It's kinda sad people don't report stuff to protect their convention and out of a sense of justice.

This post has been edited by fotaku07: 23 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

#64 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

View Postobakasan, on May 23 2010, 09:52 AM, said:

Radioactive propeller beanies? Illuminated Moogle pom poms? :thumbup:

Ahahahahaha yes!
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#65 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

Ok so I thought I'd chime in.

As far as the stuff like body paint on seats and stuff... is there much that could actually be done? I like the idea of seat covers. However, as someone already pointed out, I'm not sure the hotel would go for this. People will get mad if you make them alter their cosplay's. Even if it's to protect property.

I love the idea of ConWatch. I know people like buttons, so maybe have some cool ones with the hotline number to hand out. Seprate hand out's about the IRT hotline and the rules (and punishments) could help. Maybe hand them to the attendies when they get their badge, not just when they pick up their booklets. Saying something along the lines of "Please make sure to read this paper. It is very important." Mail them with the badges, and maybe have someone handing them out at the entrance to the dealers room. The signs are a very good idea. The pictures will help getting the point across. As far as making signs unremovable, remember that hotels have very strict rules about what you can use on their walls usually. I know when I was a chair person for another con, our hotel wouldn't even let us use sticky tac.

I think that having a uniform color for each department would help ALOT. I for one, only recognized IRT, and sometimes got confused because some cosplays were pretty much identical. I know that shirts cost alot, but honestly I think they should be required if one is to be staff. Make them either free or very reasonable. I'm not sure how much they cost now, but maybe $5?? Making them one ink color would help cut down on the costs. We had bright yellow ones for the security team at the con I staffed. Maybe that or orange for IRT. With "STAFF" printed largely on the back along with their department. I would use only bright colors, stay away from black, navy, and generally any dark color. Just having different colored lanyards (spelling?) could help too.

I honestly think that alot of the problems the hotel is having is partly their own fault. For example, when I was in the lobby Saturday night, the other two people I was sitting with and I noticed that someone was stealing beer from the hotels tap. Why in the world would they leave that on?!? (Just so everyone knows, we did get IRT when that happened) They do I have to be more responsible, it can't just be the con's job.

As far as cracking down and making sure the punishments are known, you need to be careful. While it is a good idea to make sure that people know that you will inforce the rules, you don't want to over do it. This can just further aggravate the ones who are being punished. I know, as stupid as it may seem, that some people who have gotton in trouble may just destroy things as "revenge". They figure that the con is getting their just rewards or something like that. On that note, staff needs to be friendlier. I know that being yelled at for something stupid, is just going to prompt people to revolt and do something worse. I for example, was yelled out for just part of my bottle showing while I was waiting for someone to come down and let me into the room. The man was EXTREMELY rude, loud, and obnoxious and he wasn't even IRT. (Or atleast he didnt have a vest on.) He wouldn't listen to me when I was trying to apologize and explain. He just kept on yelling. What's funny about the situation is that I wasn't wearing my badge when that happened, I wasn't in cosplay either. I could have been a random hotel guest. I know if I was, I would have a serious problem with being yelled at for doing nothing wrong. Esspecially by someone working an event I wasn't part of.

Anyways, these are just some suggestions. I hope I don't step on anyones toes! :D
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#66 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

Its crazy stuff like this that makes hotels raise up their prices even more during the convention, our hotel even held a $150 damage fee on my card in case we broke something since we are under 21. This one hotel we checked-in also changed their policy of check-in from 18 to 21 although by next year we shouldn't have since we are of age by then.

People should act their age and grow up and stop making Anime Central look bad. Plus the people within the certain age group that is doing all the bad behavior is showing the hotel representatives that they do what they want because its fun and make the others who know mind their manners and well behaved or mature for their age look bad. Since I'm not a legal adult yet, people will think of the past problems they had with my age group and won't that I know what are the consequences of my actions are, I was forced to grow up at an early age so I know when to act my age and when to act like a civilized adult.

I know not many will agree but they are people out there that know how to act properly in public settings, so why not act accordingly because if this disruptive behavior continues Anime Central will be no more because no one will want to deal with the after effect of the convention.

Would you?

This post has been edited by MsLovelyCookie: 26 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#67 User is offline   Ashikana 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 5452

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

Staff should all wear those awesome squid hats i saw being sold. or some other type of neat hat.
ACen 2013
Nami:: One Piece
Lucy: Fairy Tail
Gaige:: Borderlands 2

#68 User is offline   Kamisets303 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 15922

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

Maybe if surveillance cameras were installed all round the hotel? That way you can see who's leaving body paint, who's starting a fight, who's breaking things and be able to tell if the person's even a part of the con or not. They could also be installed into the bathroom's recording from the waist up. That way they will be able to catch a person's face and possibly even their badge for ID'ing. And while yes, there are hundreds of L's and Naruto's and whoever's there's also varying degrees of how their cosplay's done and their body language etc that can set one L apart from another. If stick/short/whathaveyou L punches the bathroom mirror they're going to know that the bigger/taller/whathaveyou L didn't do it.

Or just have someone sit right inside or outside of the bathroom doors. I know that people in Germany were hired specifically for cleaning and freshening up after use. Granted that would take a lot of manpower to accomplish, but it's a thought. This makes it so that anything a group of kids/adults try to do obvious. Yes, they could be quiet about whatever it is they're doing, but that takes more time and will make the person sitting outside suspcious.

Also, if someone from ACen's staff could do a walk-through with the hotel's staff checking to make sure everything's up to code (i'e' everything's bolted down correctly, no tiny cracks in windows that could result in larger ones later, etc.) it may help in preventing something worse happening later on. The posting of past damage done and the cost is a very good idea. While it may make some go "oh hey! let's see if i can top that!" it can also help others realize that even if they aren't paying for it someone else is and know they know to keep their eyes peeled.

Having a ConWatch is a very good idea. I know that a lot of people already try to keep an eye out on things (especially those with young children at the con) but if you give someone a special title it may help out. Yes, there will be those who will attempt to abuse their newfound authority but just remind them that they themselves are being watched and it may help. Something else that may help would be to give whoever volunteers a discount on their badge next year. This could help them pull in more friends for the next year and give IRT more manpower.

For getting covers for the furniture, have congoers send in their gently used CLEAN bedsheets. To encourage this maybe give them a coupon for $1 off in the food court? Or if the artists are willing to do little pencil/ink sketches as prizes to anyone who helps out with any of the problems. It would be cheap and not very time-consuming(i hope).

When it comes to alcohol and the hotel: it IS considered public intoxication if you are outside of your hotel room and drunk. You can be drunk inside as long as you aren't destroying things/causing a racket that bothers the people in rooms on either side of you. The hotel is allowed to either kick you out or call the Rosemont PD and have you arrested. VERY early Saturday morning a guy 2 doors away from us was arrested for being drunk in public. The hotel manager(i think that's who he was) was very displeased as I'm sure everyone else who were woken up by it were as well.

As for ID'ing staffers and IRT having the bright colors would be great. Bright colors like yellow or orange are going to catch the eye 100 times faster than a black or navy vest. Even taking the old vests and adding a strip of yellow reflector tape would help out a lot. Or give them certain hats to wear. Anything that will help congoers pick out a fellow congoer from the staff. Just not something that the dealer's/artists sell as that will still cause confusion sadly.

I don't know if this is possible, but can a donation box be set up? If congoers could all donate just one dollar, yes you'll have to sacrific your McDouble for a day, that could pull in $19,000(from this year's total) that ACen could spend on improving things. It could mean that staffers don't have to pay for their ACen t-shirt or that actual seat covers that the hotel agrees to can be bought, the possiblities are endless with that much added to ACen's budget. I mean, seriously everyone, if you knew that your $1 could help badge prices or hotel prices from rising wouldn't you give up your greasy sandwich for one day? With people investing more into their con it will also subconsciously make them more aware of what's going on hopefully and try to prevent the bad things.

Okay, I think I'm done now ~_~;
ACen 2012: Iruka-sensei, Princess Pluto, Halloween Town Riku, and Tomo (Fushigi Yuugi)

Past Cosplay!

#69 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

I dont know if people would go for cameras though we are not the only ones there after all but an once of common sence is worth a pound of cure.

#70 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:20 PM

View PostKamisets303, on 02 June 2010 - 04:23 PM, said:

Maybe if surveillance cameras were installed all round the hotel?

Or just have someone sit right inside or outside of the bathroom doors.

Also, if someone from ACen's staff could do a walk-through with the hotel's staff checking to make sure everything's up to code (i'e' everything's bolted down correctly, no tiny cracks in windows that could result in larger ones later, etc.) it may help in preventing something worse happening later on.

The posting of past damage done and the cost is a very good idea.

Having a ConWatch is a very good idea.

For getting covers for the furniture, have congoers send in their gently used CLEAN bedsheets. To encourage this maybe give them a coupon for $1 off in the food court? Or if the artists are willing to do little pencil/ink sketches as prizes to anyone who helps out with any of the problems.

As for ID'ing staffers and IRT having the bright colors would be great. Bright colors like yellow or orange are going to catch the eye 100 times faster than a black or navy vest. Even taking the old vests and adding a strip of yellow reflector tape would help out a lot. Or give them certain hats to wear. Anything that will help congoers pick out a fellow congoer from the staff. Just not something that the dealer's/artists sell as that will still cause confusion sadly.

I don't know if this is possible, but can a donation box be set up? If congoers could all donate just one dollar, yes you'll have to sacrific your McDouble for a day, that could pull in $19,000(from this year's total) that ACen could spend on improving things. It could mean that staffers don't have to pay for their ACen t-shirt or that actual seat covers that the hotel agrees to can be bought, the possiblities are endless with that much added to ACen's budget. I mean, seriously everyone, if you knew that your $1 could help badge prices or hotel prices from rising wouldn't you give up your greasy sandwich for one day? With people investing more into their con it will also subconsciously make them more aware of what's going on hopefully and try to prevent the bad things.

Okay, I think I'm done now ~_~;

I wanted to address all the things that you mentioned by I want to start with the donation box. It is a great idea considering how many people come to acen but there are little things that I think would make that hard. The main one would be WHERE would they put donation boxes? If they put them by registration then all the people that got badges mailed to them and registration done before the con may not see it. And then I think the hotel's front desks. Well not everyone passes those to check in. People that are staying with others may never even think to approach the front desk. Not to mention that on thursday, friday and sunday those front desks are a nightmare because of all the people checking in/out. The food court I think is just asking for it to be stolen as are the dealers hall and AA. I think it'd be hard to put them somewhere that people see enough (and I think this is needed because honestly, I wouldn't spend con time wandering around looking for a donation box even if there was a sign that said "Donate to Help in Registration" hanging above me in the con center.)
I think that if they do take up donations....it should be done online when they sell badges. When you go to check out it should say "Donate $1 to help Acen give you more saftey, more choices and more fun!" It may not bring in as much but it will be easier and more focused.

In terms of everything else, I highly agree with what you said. I too had a hard time finding IRT and until this moment I was unaware that there were multiple divisions. I thought they were all one big group that got assigned to different posts. Something to differentiate would be helpful.

The slip covers from gently used sheets - I think this is a good way to save on money for the hotel and the con but there are, once again, the little things. Everyone sleeps in different size beds with different material sheets and different color sheets. Some materials bleed rather easily and may not work to stop the staining on the couch. Others might be itchy and uncomfortable. As for the sizes, there would some issue trying to make them fit so they don't slide around. Finally, who picks up the cleaning bill for those sheets? Does the con just toss them at the end of the con and ask for more every year? Does the hotel toss them in with their clothes and risk turning every sheet in the wash blue because a Na'avi sat down? I'm not trying to knock your ideas because they are great but these are the little things that acen has to think about....I do not ency them...
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#71 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

its an idea, but I just dont want nazi security guards everywhere, I did not have too much problem with irt or security last year, but I have read the stories about them in the past. A donation box for helping to defray damage costs on the way into the convention center itself where security checks people to let them in many of the people do go there and irt is there to make sure its not filched from.

but again people our ecconomy is not great as it is and many people dont want to part with more money then they have to. especialy the poor collage students that make up a large portion of the crowd.

signed Manga1

This post has been edited by manga1: 21 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

#72 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

come on ware is acens event/business insurance
acens legal face should have been on this day one
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#73 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

View PostMillions_Knives, on 21 January 2011 - 11:52 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure it's not that simple though Knives.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#74 User is offline   evaunit01berserk 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 32255

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:39 AM

View Postsisterdiscord, on 20 May 2010 - 10:37 AM, said:

Intentional Damage:
Here, I think I just need to understand why. I don't get why someone would want to break a mirror or write in fake blood in the mens' bathrooms. I don't know why they ripped a urinal off a wall, broke countertops, punched holes in walls. Anybody have input? Advice on how to make it not happen?

Sign Stealing: So...someone was apparently collecting my signage for their scrapbook or something this year, because the signs for several of my rooms walked away multiple times! Was there a scavenger hunt I didn't know about?

Seriously, I'm not just whining, I want advice on how to keep the carnage to a minimum.

I will throw in an observation that I noticed about cons and their forums.
I noticed that the cons that seem to have more "randomness" in their forums and looser enforcement of the rules seem to be the ones that have the "wilder" people and suffer more damage then say cons with stricter forums.

I will use awa for an example, their forums actually feel stricter then otakons, but while thats the case, their damage for the weekend just seems non-existent, While walking ohayocon and youmacons halls, which seem to have the party mentality on the forums, it looks like a hurricane blasted through some of the areas and always seem to have the worst shennagins, ex: someone taking a dump in the elevator or a chair, plants blocking elevators, someone drunk stuck with their head in the wall, urinals exploding from some weird baking soda conncoction <some of these are obviously exaggerated>

Now it also may just be the area...maybe the snow and cold make people want to cut loose and go nuts from being stuck inside :P

The only thing that I can think of to stop the intentional damage is better trained,more security staff and ones that actually keep their eyes open rather then that on that hot cosplayer walking by with a giant gun and a bikini too small. You could try to crack the party mentality but I expect strong backlash from that.
Need a room? We find rooms.
Throw in a request and we will scour the web

#75 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

View Postevaunit01berserk, on 24 January 2011 - 03:39 AM, said:

I will throw in an observation that I noticed about cons and their forums.
I noticed that the cons that seem to have more "randomness" in their forums and looser enforcement of the rules seem to be the ones that have the "wilder" people and suffer more damage then say cons with stricter forums.

I will use awa for an example, their forums actually feel stricter then otakons, but while thats the case, their damage for the weekend just seems non-existent, While walking ohayocon and youmacons halls, which seem to have the party mentality on the forums, it looks like a hurricane blasted through some of the areas and always seem to have the worst shennagins, ex: someone taking a dump in the elevator or a chair, plants blocking elevators, someone drunk stuck with their head in the wall, urinals exploding from some weird baking soda conncoction <some of these are obviously exaggerated>

Now it also may just be the area...maybe the snow and cold make people want to cut loose and go nuts from being stuck inside :P

The only thing that I can think of to stop the intentional damage is better trained,more security staff and ones that actually keep their eyes open rather then that on that hot cosplayer walking by with a giant gun and a bikini too small. You could try to crack the party mentality but I expect strong backlash from that.

That is not necessarily the case. Anime Punch has one of the loosest rule structures of any convention and we have had very little damage caused to our hotel overall. Of course what we do isn't necessarily logical for ACen because we are talking about a slightly different target audience as well as drastically difference sizes.

Honestly I've never felt Youma has a party mentality. I've also noticed very little damage at their convention as a whole. Maybe you have numbers that can contradict me. I know I don't and I'm just speaking from personal observation and my heavy involvement with the con in its inaugural year (department head).

So whats the solution for ACen? I'm honestly not sure there is one. Some people are just going to show up with the mentality that they are going to have irresponsible fun at other people's expense. I'm not sure you can necessarily change that aside from strict penalties and bannings for anyone intentionally doing damage and causing major problems. And of course paying for the damage they caused. Something I would assume ACen already does. The space ACen occupies is just too big to logically watch all at once. There are too many small areas where if someone wants to be a jerk, they're going to do it. The best suggestion I can have is get the con goers more involved. Encourage people to report these things. If someone sees a guy doing something that will probably damage the hotel, have them get IRT. Yeah, a lot of people will do that anyway, but remind people at opening ceremonies. Put it in the program guide. Get the word out. There are too many people for IRT to police and attendee help is necessary for any hope of covering the entire event.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#76 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

Funny PSA-like signs to remind people to respect the convention spaces distributed around the convention area? Reminder messages at the larger events?

#77 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:06 PM

On ConWatch:
I agree with the ConWatch Idea. If something doesn't look right, it usually isn't. It's the responsibility of everyone to make sure things arent' destoryed.

On Bodypaint and CleanUp crews:
In the Army, we had this thing. If you see something somewhere, that's not supposed to be there, pick it up and throw it away. All those people above me write about hwo they saw a lot of fake blood on seats. What did they do? They probably just walked on by and left it there. It doesn't take that much time to get a wet paper towel and wipe up a little. Everyone can do their part to at least keep things a little more tidy.

On Raves/Drunk people:
Yes, drunk people do damage. Yes, a lot of underaged kids end up at the raves. That doesn't mean they did the damage. However, I also think there should be something to be done about the alcohol. I'm not taking away your beer or vodka or saki, but I do urge you who do drink. Please. In moderation. Know your limits. I lost count of the number of drunk people in the line for the Rave last year. And not just a little drunk. Falling down, slurring their words drunk. Remember, this is a family con and seriously, if you want to drink that much, you can wait the three days and get smashed at home, where it's safe and you're not around a million and two strangers.

That's my three cents.
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

#78 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

sounds good to me, but how does the hotel feel about covering the seats it could look a bit unsightly, I suppose, I feel that also the con watch might be help if people want to help out, and the presence of numbers to report misconduct in a more timely fashion.

#79 User is offline   Fauxreal 

• Registration
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60058

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

We are a people of incentives.

If you tell people, 'if there is no damage done to hotel this ACen - Next Acen will be $5.00 cheaper' or the idea of swag for a convicted disturber of the fun, I think would work the best. You will get some people, who when told to do their part... will. No questions asked. But you will get more if there is some incentive. It's freakoconomics.
:P
Kichi-Gi.com : website

@kichigi : twitter

Girls who love anime.

#80 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

Another idea...Hidden IRT. Right now, we can tell IRT because of their destinctive uniforms. How about a group of under cover IRT. They can look just like any other con goer, and have a hidden IRT badge. Because as it is, IRT patrols...people will just beahve themselves until after IRT passes. With hidden IRT, it's just like another congoer is around...they might be more prone to continuing the acts. Then IRT can have proof and nip it in the bug right at that time.
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

#81 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:42 AM

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 01 May 2011 - 05:39 PM, said:

Another idea...Hidden IRT. Right now, we can tell IRT because of their destinctive uniforms. How about a group of under cover IRT. They can look just like any other con goer, and have a hidden IRT badge. Because as it is, IRT patrols...people will just beahve themselves until after IRT passes. With hidden IRT, it's just like another congoer is around...they might be more prone to continuing the acts. Then IRT can have proof and nip it in the bug right at that time.

I second this so much. It'd be nice if "civilian" looking IRT members could just chill around the areas that take the most damage every year.
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#82 User is offline   evaunit01berserk 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 32255

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

I wonder if someone is that stupid to rip a toilet of the wall in front of a complete stranger...

No wait...forget I asked that.
Need a room? We find rooms.
Throw in a request and we will scour the web

#83 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:12 AM

Since I have been going for awhile and have stayed at the Hyatt for the last 3 or 4 years, there does seem to be a "pattern" for the damage that seems to happen. Usually Thursday and Friday people are more than capable of behaving themselves far as damage. However starting late Saturday afternoon, I don't know what the heck goes on in some attendees minds but that is when things start to "show" (aka it's painfully obvious MAPS will be having a damage bill). Sunday morning, most of the time it looks like people went insane after the rave let out. I don't know if it's alcohol, lack of sleep, "group" mentality taking over, or what but I have been shocked at what I have seen Sunday morning during check out. Perhaps the late shift that helps monitor the hotel needs to be doubled or making rounds in a smaller area late Saturday night into Sunday morning to help limit the damage.

Far as body paint, perhaps a gentle reminder could be stated and made more clear just as pretty much everyone knows the "live steel" and "four inch" rules. Even accidental damage is not okay as any other time whomever did the damage would have to pay (IE you're pulling into a parking garage but scratch the car next to you, while an accident, you are still paying for what happened).

While the suggestion is late for Acen 2011, perhaps for Acen 2012 it should be made clear that MAPS is paying for the damage every year and that at some point the Hyatt won't want to put up with Acen anymore as the main host hotel.
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#84 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

A small suggestion, regarding the body paint, I second the motion about covers for the seats, it also helps with costumes that may have a dye to them and that can rub off too.

Perhaps a PSA on Youtube, or an ad in the bathrooms or see if there is a way where an announcement can go out regarding to behave and not to cause damages to the hotel. I like the idea of the Conwatch, it seems like something that could be easy to do. Also maybe to calm the whole issue with the drunken behavior, perhaps impose a rule where you can't drink and be let into the rave, or something to the affect to get people who are drunk up to their rooms?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#85 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 01 May 2011 - 05:39 PM, said:

Theoretically that should be any staffer or responsible attendee. If you see someone directly and purposely trying to damage the hotel, you should make sure it is taken care of. Get a description of the guy, find an IRT member, take pictures, whatever you have to do.

I don't have data on where most of the damage occurs, but I would imagine its in out of the way areas. The best you can do about that is increase patrols in less traveled areas. But you are also then taking away patrols from more common areas. Its a catch 22. Still it is probably worth hitting those less traveled areas more often, especially on Friday/Saturday night when people are being drunk and stupid. Maybe even draft some normal staff to a temporary IRT force who travel with a trained IRT member for those late nights. Since IRT always travels in packs, but you probably only need one trained one in a group who can talk to attendees or give orders to the untrained one.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#86 User is offline   The Archfiend 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1145

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

I haven't read this entire thread (good luck on that chore), but judging by the amount of empties you can see on the lobby awning from the room balconies facing Bryn Mawr, people are tossing their empties instead of thoring them in the trash. A lot.

No, we're not responsible for all of them. We can't be. Still, if you did a count of how many beer bottles were there before and after Acen, chances are that we'd be responsible for a fairly good amount of them. Unfortunarely, it's really doubtful you're going to catch anyone red-handed like you would if a bottle got tossed from one of the internal balconies in the main building. Compared to more spectacular displays of public stupidity, it's a problem that probably only gets back to the con after it's over that year.
Chris Krolczyk
Security/IRT Staff, 2003-5

Further proof of my degeneracy can be found at: http://the-archfiend.livejournal.com/ or http:the-archfiend.blogspot.com/

#87 User is offline   Devi-kun 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 60156

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

I see that is always an issue. If you have more security, that has the ability to be kind first then aggressive if need be, then people will be more willing to think first. There are always gonna be the little jerks that have to ruin the fun for everyone else just gotta have more eyes to watch.
I don't know how well this would go over but say.. someone does massive damage.. just ban them from the con.
It's nice to go to a con, it's nice to be goofy and horse play a little, it's not nice to go and destroy things on the dime of an establishment that cares enough to make a wonderful event happen for thousands of people.
Sebastian- Kuroshitsuji
Kaito- Vocaloid
Izaya Orihara-DRRRR
-few others-

#88 User is offline   The Archfiend 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1145

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

View Postevaunit01berserk, on 04 May 2011 - 09:51 AM, said:

I wonder if someone is that stupid to rip a toilet of the wall in front of a complete stranger...

No wait...forget I asked that.

I recall this happening at least once. Maybe at Acen, maybe not, but I recall it happening at an anime or SF con I was at. Mind you, that's over some 25-plus-years of going to things like this, so that only raises the chances.

Needless to say, being stupid enough to do it in a public toilet is one thing; doing it in your own room is reason enough to run an EEG or MRI on your brain before the cops take you away.
Chris Krolczyk
Security/IRT Staff, 2003-5

Further proof of my degeneracy can be found at: http://the-archfiend.livejournal.com/ or http:the-archfiend.blogspot.com/

#89 User is offline   Accidental Suicide Bomber 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 17156

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

View PostMillions_Knives, on 21 January 2011 - 11:52 PM, said:

That is, of course, assuming that they don't already have event insurance. It may be that the damages they are reporting to us here are not covered by their current insurance policy, or that they want to limit the number of claims they have to make every year in order to keep the premiums at a manageable level.

Regardless of whether they have insurance or not, it's always better to not have these situations happening in the first place. (I definitely advocate at least looking into the possibility of getting event insurance if they do not already have a policy. Especially with the exponential rate at which the convention grows.)

A lot of the little suggestions people have already given (advertising the tipline MUCH better, seat covers, making staff more visible, etc) are all both effective and easy to execute. The more people know that staff are around, even if there aren't a whole lot more OF them, the less likely they are to do something stupid. And the more likely some are to seek them out for assistance as well. :>

I think the biggest issue is the signage. That's a hell of a problem. All I can think of is making them a lot harder to steal. Either by weighing them down, putting them in some kind of holders, or having the staff that are helping set up/clean up for panels checking them once in a while. In case some person DOES decide that they absolutely have that sign no matter what, I think making staff more aware of what events are going on and how to get to them would be a good idea. Or printing a map of the area the convention occupies and a key on the back sorted by location with a list of events and what times they will happen at each one.
IRT Hotline: (224) 325-4042
Because all of Acen shouldn't have to pay for the actions of one idiot.

-I ran a room for acen 2011, and intend to run one for 2012. A link will go here when I make a reservation.-

#90 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure~~~

You know those small toy motion sensor "security" alarms kids can get? Stick some to the signs (irwhere if it's touched they'll go off). If moved, the thingy goes off WEEE-OOOOOOOOOOO WEEEEEE-OOOOOOOOO WEEEEEE-OOOOOOOO & odds are the idiot trying to steal it will run off. Because that's what alarms do (barring the exceptionally idiotic idiots of course). At the least, if someone tries to skarper with it, you'll hear and know & have better odds of apprehending them.~ :3

Also, ask the Hyatt if they'll let you put up some temporary idiot-proof / anti-idiot signs, cheeky Monty Python/BBC style preferred (well at least by me lol). Reassure them your teardown staff will be taking them down and scrubbing off any trace of tape-stickies it might leave (I know at the least I would/will). (If)When they ok it, get ginormous humungoid poster boards and paint --in big jumbo thick letters-- something cheeky & to the point, like the (likely totally unusable XD) samples I put below.

Generalized sign ideas (totally meant to be read w/ John Cleese's voice in yer head):
- ""OY! YER SITTIN' & YER BUM's COVERED IN PAINT?! GRAB A HANKY FIRST YOU DAFT TROLL!" -- @ paint-sitting dingdongs
- " NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! (ESPECIALLY WHEN RIPPING URINALS OFF WALLS)" -- @ urinal ripping dingdongs
- " OY! YOU DAFT? OPEN DOOR _THEN_ WALK THROUGH IT! (mumblebloodywankersmumblmumble)" -- @ Hyatt door messing-upping dingdongs
- " YOU LOT! THE FLOOR'S NOT LAVA, QUIT YER JUMPING!" --@ elevator-breaking dingdongs

...or something to that effect (y'all get the idea, I think).

aaaannd.. *brainfart* I think that's it idea-wise, for now.~
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users