Anime Central Forums: How Mainstream Are Your Anime/manga Interests? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Mainstream Are Your Anime/manga Interests? From "on TV" to "rare and out of print"

#1 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

A little while ago, I started a "How mainstream are your gaming interests" thread. This is an equivalent thread for anime and manga.

I know it's tough to determine what's mainstream. If you need help in determining if the things you like are well known or absurdly obscure, you might want to refer to the "Obscure-O-Meter" that's used in the Buried Treasure column on Anime News Network (worksafe link: http://www.animenews...uried-treasure/ )

My tastes in anime and manga are occasionally mainstream. I've seen quite a few Naruto episodes, I've read quite a few volumes of Bleach, and I know most of the big-name series.

But I also try to track down lesser known series. As for stuff available at retail, I've given odd stuff like Me and the Devil Blues a chance, and I had nice things to say about With the Light. And after liking the not-well-known Shinesman OAVs, I managed to find translations of just a few chapters of the original manga.

What about you? Do you try to find forgotten shows from decades ago? Or do you like the latest and greatest?

#2 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

My tastes are very obscure/old school, though I do like the occasional mainstream stuff like Sgt. Frog. =3
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#3 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:32 PM

I'm one of those people who pretty much likes anything, however I must admit that I prefer the older anime/manga to some of the newer ones.
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#4 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

My tastes run deep in 90's old school anime. My treasure from this Acen was finding a 3x3 Eyes boxset...

My tastes run pretty obscure, like BEFORE Kanon got popular... ( Yeah, back in 2001 with the original release with the horrible CG...LOVED IT! ). My manga tastes are probably a bit everywhere, I like some series like Yubisaki Milk Tea which a majority of people don't read or have heard of, but I also like stuff like Chibi Vampire and Gunsmith Cats.

Actually, looking at my shelf I'd say the only Mainstream anime I even own is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Clannad, and FMP...
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#5 User is offline   Jupiter 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 29874

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

I'd say moderately mainstream. I first got into anime because of Adult Swim, so a lot of my favorites are mainstream. Then again, I also read series in Japanese that haven't been scan/translated yet.

Also, I'm about 2-3 years behind on mainstream anime because school eats up all my time. Or at least it did. I've graduated now, hooray!

#6 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

My tastes range across the meter, too. My favourite, Fushigi Yuugi, is something that isn't really obscure since it was relatively popular in it's day but it is pretty old school and getting harder all the time to find things for it and find fans (who are really into the original - not just Genbu Kaiden). My treasure from this con was finding one of the super-old drama CDs. The same vendor also had two separate decks of the trading cards but wanted $40 each for them and with moving in two weeks I couldn't afford them. T^T

There aren't really too many mainstream I'm currently really into right now, other than maybe FullMetal Alchemist, although I need to catch up.

I prefer a lot of the old-school manga/anime overall. I've been picking up Ranma 1/2 DVDs here and there to rewatch it since I never owned it and am planning on rewatching/rereading Aa! Megami-sama.

Jupiter: I understand - I'm behind on most of the series I follow, too, thanks to school. I've graduated, too, and although I still have work and Graduate classes starting in the fall, I have no classes over the summer for once so I can relax and catch up! ^^

My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Friday: Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Saturday: Leafeon Gijinka - Pokemon
Sunday: Kotoha - Arata Kangatari

#7 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

It's all over the freakin' place, but most of my most beloved series came from the 80's and 90's.

#8 User is offline   sailorgaia 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3856

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

I've been into anime for over fifteen years at least and have really witnessed the hobby in the United States being something no one new much about to it being pretty common knowledge and openly influencing popular culture. I think because of that, and the fact I've remained a fan over that time, my tastes are all of the place. In the early days, I watched just about anything so plenty of my favorites are pretty obscure. Happily, I still like watching new stuff but I'll admit, it is a bit harder getting into the more trendier series today. Still, I try anything and most anime makes me happy to watch.

tl/dr: I'm a happy mix of the two. :D
"I like it when you clap for me, Ultros. I can just close my eyes and imagine that four people are clapping for me at once!"
Locke, the Hand of God

#9 User is offline   TaesarraZerah 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 57301

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

My tastes are really all over the place, like many fans nowadays I got started with Adult Swim. So I adore a lot of the mainstream ones, while at the same time a lot of the really popular series just annoy me XD; I love sticking to old school now and then, especially with Yuu Watase's older works and just the plain ol' classics. But I can never really say no to a new series that happens to spike my interest ^^

#10 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

Mine is random. XD I like titles that aren't too old, but yet are still obscure enough to where not a lot of people know about them. I also like a lot of mainstream titles, shows that pull at several of my emotions at once, or really are just too entertaining to put down.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#11 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

I don't have a preference, but due to budget constraints I don't watch a lot of hard to find anime or pretty much any anime that is expensive to buy and impossible to find without buying it. Most of the anime I watch is through Netflix right now, and whatever manga catches my interest at used bookstores.

#12 User is offline   Jupiter 

• Pip

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

I know what you mean about NetFlix. I wish they had a better anime selection on the Instant Q.

#13 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

View PostJupiter, on May 19 2010, 04:37 PM, said:

I know what you mean about NetFlix. I wish they had a better anime selection on the Instant Q.

Every once in a while they get something decent I haven't seen so it isn't always too bad, but yeah, usually their selection is really lacking...
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#14 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

In the beginning of this thread, I mentioned the Buried Treasure columns, and how the writer sought out obscure/out-of-print series and films. Well, it seems veteran anime fan Mike Toole has just one-upped him, as there's a lengthy piece about vintage black-and-white anime TV series and movies at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-t...cool/2010-05-23

Obscurity changes over time. Back when I was reading Animerica Extra (circa 1998-2002), there would be an article almost every month on some manga series that the Viz staff either liked, or had discovered. Some of the series were huge hits in Japan, like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but at the time, not many fans knew about them except through translated scripts. In the eight or so years since then, most of the series that were profiled got professionally translated.

Obscurity varies by region. For instance, if you grew up in France, then you might have seen the dubbed versions of City Hunter and Kimagure Orange Road that were broadcast in that nation. (US fans discovered those shows through limited edition VHS and DVD.) And if you grew up outside the US, then you're probably much more familiar with Captain Tsubasa and Doraemon.

#15 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29662

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

Tis certainly a tough question. I suppose the answer for myself would be somewhere in the middle. I like a lot of things which everyday man would know about (DBZ, Sailor Moon, Gundam), and I like a lot of manga which is instantly recognizable within the anime/manga community (Ah! My Goddess is my obsession... *swoon*), but I also find a lot of neat interesting things off of the beaten trail, though that's mostly in manga, as when watching anime the availability and it's popularity are often linked.

This said, I grew up in England, and someone mentioned regions vary tastes.

An Ah! My Goddess fanatic in England is a rare and beautiful thing, whereas every person who has seen big stary anime eyes knows about Hellsing (and rightfully so). Heck, when I left England a few years ago, Death Note had never been aired on any TV station AT ALL, whereas Wolf's Rain was on it's third re-run. Outlaw Star was a Toonami staple but Cowboy Bebop and EVA only got a limited run on Sci-Fi at 2am.

So for me, my tastes run in "whatever bones the UK were thrown" I would eat ANYTHING they gave us. Gundam Wing? Delicious! Tenchi Muyo? Give me seconds! DBZ? I'll watch all 300 episodes twice. Heck I even watched Cardcaptors, Pokemon and Digimon, despite being well out of the age bracket when they first aired. ---and then, you know. Stuff I just stumbled on later in life.

#16 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:20 PM

no type of taste. if it's good, i'll watch it.

however, I haven't felt passionate about watching any anime for a while.
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#17 User is offline   Jupiter 

• Pip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

The whole region thing is interesting. When I was studying abroad in France, I went to a convention, and I do remember seeing a lot of cosplay for series I didn't recognize. I remember thinking it was odd that there was Bleach merch everywhere, but almost no bleach cosplayers. Then again, since this was in Paris, a lot of people had simple costumes that they could change into at the con so they didn't have to ride the metro dressed like an anime character. Personally, I just wore my costume on the metro. I figured if the weirdest person on that train was a girl in a Japanese school uniform, it was a good day for the metro.

Erm... long off-topic rant aside, I think that once I realized that I could get anime off the internet, I stopped watching the stuff on tv. Then again, I'm also a language nerd and I can't stand most dubs. Still, I'm willing to bet that since it's really easy to find anime that streams rather than downloads, regional variations have become less prominent.

#18 User is offline   Aizen_sama 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 57905

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:33 PM

I also fall somewhere in the middle of the road, although i cant stand most dubs of shows i have watched subbed.

I have stumbled across some great random shows such as Bakemonogatari, Akagi, and Overdrive.

But i still hold roots in the old shows, Lupin the third and Zoids i watched at least 7 years ago.
Always up for conversation about anime's, so send me a Pm anytime, or a message on Facebook.
X-Box Gamertag- Killerray287

2010 Cosplay- TYL Yamamoto Takeshi (KHR) 100%
2011 Cosplay- Itachi Uchiha 100%
2012 Cosplay- Up in the Air

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users