• This topic is locked

2010 Irt Complaints

#91 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

Fray - as Shay said, the issue is not just the amount of time you'd take to go up and then back down, and whether or not you'd be getting out on the 11th floor - they are also able to commandeer and elevator and HOLD it on any floor needed.

Since you did have to wait a while before another elevator came, it's likely that the car they were in was being STOPPED and held on the 11th floor for a period of time for one reason or another. Therefore, they couldn't have let you on (rules of who can go up that high aside) because it wasn't GOING back down to begin with.

I'm sure for brevity's sake they didn't have the time or clearance to explain this right then, but be assured it's an unfortunate side effect of security.

I will make sure there is a reference on the website for next year as to locating the stairwells.
Note that I speak as someone who is handicapped (with tags) and cannot physically take the stairs except in an emergency and appreciate that elevator delays can be very trying to go through.

HAH triple post... I wish these forums warned you if someone has posted while you were typing....
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#92 User is offline   Fray 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 57491

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

I guess. But still no matter. It's a hassle and I wish it didn't have to happen.

#93 User is offline   Ita-chan 

• IRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 18016

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

View PostFray, on May 24 2010, 03:11 PM, said:

I'd be capable of it, but I didn't know where the stairs were. But it really shouldn't've been a problem to go up for the 5 seconds it would take them to get off the elevator and get back to the Lobby. Otherwise, perhaps they need to set some sort of Upper Level Priority clause into the Elevator programming, so that people on the higher floors CAN get back down to the lobby without being forced to take the stairs.

Imagine if I DID have luggage with me. Hiking down 10 flights of stairs would've been horrible!

We've griped, and asked for better maps, this problem has been going for a while where people have not been able to find the stairs, hopefully we'll get better maps : / And luggage is a pain, I had to haul mine up a couple of floors while running after my room mates XD (my bag is bulky and weighed about 50+ pounds) I hope you have better luck next year.

#94 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:44 AM

View PostFray, on May 24 2010, 03:58 PM, said:

I guess. But still no matter. It's a hassle and I wish it didn't have to happen.

Fray, better signage as to where stairwells are is actually something I have already brought up to my DH and I plan to mention again at the staff feedback session in a couple of weeks. I'm absolutely neurotic about fires & tornadoes so whenever I check into a hotel I look at that little map and learn where the stairwells are. But I know not everyone is a panicky worrywart about that like me :)

There aren't stairs right near that big main elevator bank, but if you go to the corners of that big square of rooms around them, that's where you'll find them. The Hyatt does not sign them well, and one of my goals for next Acen is to try and talk them into better signage for stairwells, even just for the days of our con.
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#95 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

View PostIta-chan, on May 22 2010, 01:18 PM, said:

1.) ouch, I recomend you get your leg checked out, it can be a problem for you later, better to find out you're ok then overlook something. : /

2.)IRT had priority on the lines and whenever I'd walk pass the smokers I'd try to ask them to please keep the doors clear. There was one group on the right side that weren't very cooperative, a couple of their people kept sitting directly against the doors : (

3.)Yeah, I remember asking alot friday evening for people to move as close as they can to the side/ grass to let people pass. some people didn't want to cooperate or ignored me. People who tried to move couldn't because the line wouldn't back up. Thank you to all the people who did try their best to make room on the sidewalk, you made it easier for people to get by : D

1.) Update: I'm getting better with time my hands are almost free of scaring, my knee is better but I'm still sensitive on the part I got scraped/hit, the skin color looks better and I walk with no limp anymore since I can now bend it. since I have no more school so I took it easy but if it was getting worse I would have gone to my doctor. Thanks for your concern. : )
2.) Still after 10pm I saw no one since the wall of people showed up and I had to take care of me, my friend and another girl (who is friends with the girl who helped me up) since I'm bigger and taller than my friend's 4'10 to my 5'7. Later on 2 more girls around 5'0 joined us and my mother mode kicked in when we lost the 2 tall guys when moving within the line (when I see the place I was to be in I make it happen).
3.) I smelled some alcohol on some people we passed by on their breaths so I want to a void all of that and they have a slower reaction time when moving.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#96 User is offline   _-l-_Storm_-l-_ 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 35041

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

View PostSerenity Vampire 2, on 24 May 2010 - 10:30 AM, said:

Issue # 1: Friday evening, just past 6 o'clock, my friend and I got in line for the Aural Vampire concert. We knew about the rule for cameras so we had already made a stop by the hotel room and dropped them off. We were not completely aware of the bag rule though. My friend had her small black draw string bag with her, and when i say small put an emphasis on small. It barely held her wallet, my wallet, and my glasses case (i was wearing contacts). We were just quietly standing in line waiting and an IRT walked up to my friend and started yelling at her, saying no bags were allowed in the concert and we would have to get rid of it. Well after some creative folding and such, we were able to stash the bag away. But as we continued to wait in line, we noticed this said IRT member was only picking and choosing certain people to yell at about bags and when it came time to go into the concert, no one was stopped from entering if they had a bag. We were quite upset that we were singled out like that.

I am sorry about this, I most likely me as the IRT op and i didn't mean to come across as yelling at you i wanted to make sure you could hear me and understand the rules. By the time people were let in for the aural vampire concert my partner and myself had been relieved for a break so i don't know why no one was checked for bags. I can assure you i wasn't singling you out but with that many people it may appear like i was, I just wanted to let everyone know before the concert that bags weren't allowed into the concerts. I would like to state that the rules for bags, props, and cameras going into large functions were in the rule book and i wish to apologize again for seeming so harsh and for seeming like i was singling you out.

#97 User is offline   Zelnik 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 24650

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

IRT Midshift Supervisor "Grog" here.

Okay I have scanned over most of the issues here... lets see If I can address some of them.

1. If you don't give us a callsign, we can't address the source of the problem.

2. The accusation that my operatives were drunk is significantly insulting. I make sure personally that no one goes on the floor impaired, though after several hours of walking non-stop could make anyone frazzled. 9 hours or more of it typically results in a zombie like state. Again, since no callsign was given, I will not really give this complaint any weight.

3. Dropping ANYTHING is a HOTEL issue. They have the zero tolerance policy. Remember, if you drop a leaf, that means you (or someone else) damaged their precious plastic plants. That costs them money. If you drop anything else (wrappers, coffee pots, people) it can lead to some serious situations. We have a zero tolerance policy so it does not escalate.

4. At least in midshift hotel, I made it clear to EVERYONE who worked the lines that con goers can leave their spot (and return to it) to go to the bathroom or get water(or put stuff in their room where applicable). If someone told you "no" and was wearing an IRT vest, give me a callsign so I can chew them out personally. I will be talking with the other managers to make sure this situation is settled.

5. Not everyone is well trained in dealing with people, and not all of us are great at it. Usually, if we are clearing out an area, we have a good reason to do so. I am sorry you missed your photo opportunity or lost your hang-out-spot, but sometimes it is necessary to keep the con running smoothly.

Again.. If we are not given callsigns, we can't do much to solve the problems you are all bringing up.

#98 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

View PostZelnik, on 26 May 2011 - 01:22 PM, said:

Again.. If we are not given callsigns, we can't do much to solve the problems you are all bringing up.

I should clarify this (since I know what Grog was trying to say here). If you can't give us the callsign (or name) of an op who did something badly or took the wrong approach, we can't do anything about that op in particular. But we do of course look at complaints and suggestions and incorporate them into our training and preparation for next year.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#99 User is offline   Zelnik 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 24650

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

View PostSerenity Vampire 2, on 24 May 2010 - 10:30 AM, said:

Im sorry to report all i have is complaints about IRT this year. Unfortunally i do not have any callsigns, i will be sure to have a lovely little note pad to jot down this information next year when i have problems like this.

Issue # 1: Friday evening, just past 6 o'clock, my friend and I got in line for the Aural Vampire concert. We knew about the rule for cameras so we had already made a stop by the hotel room and dropped them off. We were not completely aware of the bag rule though. My friend had her small black draw string bag with her, and when i say small put an emphasis on small. It barely held her wallet, my wallet, and my glasses case (i was wearing contacts). We were just quietly standing in line waiting and an IRT walked up to my friend and started yelling at her, saying no bags were allowed in the concert and we would have to get rid of it. Well after some creative folding and such, we were able to stash the bag away. But as we continued to wait in line, we noticed this said IRT member was only picking and choosing certain people to yell at about bags and when it came time to go into the concert, no one was stopped from entering if they had a bag. We were quite upset that we were singled out like that.

Issue # 2: The Hellsing photo shoot was on Saturday night at 9:30 in the dome at the Hyatt. Our group made sure we were out of the way, still a nice path for people to get thru, as well as not being overly loud and such. Around 10:30 towards the end of our shoot, several IRT members came up to our group, yelling at us and promptly saying we needed to 'get the f**k out'. Our group tried to calmly explain we were doing a photo shoot and the schedule said that was were we were supposed to be, but none of them were really listening to us, just telling us where ever we had seen this schedule or whoever had told us we could be there, that they were 'f**king wrong.' Not wanting to really sit there and fight over something so stupid my friends and I left.

Issue # 3: Around 11 pm saturday night my friends and I decided we were attending the Oregon Trail panel. We quickly discovered the long line and walked down to the end of it, which happened to stop near the entrance for soap bubble. As my friends and I moved into the end of the line, several IRT members began to scream at us, specifically my one friend who was still in her yuffie costume and was carrying her prop on her. It took several mins for us to calmly explain to them that we were NOT trying to sneak into soap bubble, that we were in line for a panel. We also continued to get various IRT members come up to us and start yelling, none of them in the loop of what exactly was going on so they decided to scream at us cause they believed we were in the wrong.

I understand IRT members are there to keep people in line and such but i have never felt so insulted and belittled in my life. This was the first ACen for my two friends and they actually were debating on leaving early they were so appalled by the IRT staff. They continually asked me if things were this bad the previous year and i must say i had never had any issues until this year. I have plans to attend ACen next year though im not too excited to go if the staff is going to be this rude to my friends and I. Seriously, im an adult, i would like to be treated as such.

1. *Edit* i just talked to rabbi, evidently we didn't communicate this well. My bad, and apologies.

2. Without a callsign, I won't be able to talk to the individual operative. We can make blanket policy for all of our operatives, but that punishes everyone for the actions of a single person. Please remember that we have Callsigns for a reason.

3. Ah, i think I know the issue. I will have a talk with Special Events. I actually witnessed this first hand, and you should know that the people who shouted at you are a team specifically formed to deal with concerts and the dance. Their Supervisor's callsign is Marks

This post has been edited by Zelnik: 26 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

#100 User is offline   evaunit01berserk 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 32255

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

This con wonders why it has problems. *psssst* Give ya a clue....its not irt
Need a room? We find rooms.
Throw in a request and we will scour the web

#101 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

this thread is from last year.
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users