Family Bathrooms? Kids' Safety?

#1 User is offline   aakachan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 19627

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hi all,

I'm probably posting this in the wrong area, but it is a safety issue.
I will be bringing my 8-yo son on one of the ACEN days. He's too old (according to him) to
go into the ladies room with me & I feel uncomfortable sending him into the men's room alone at a
convention. Does anyone know where there might be a family bathroom, or a 1-person bathroom for
people who need assistance (or have paranoid moms)?

Thanks!
...Doing my best to embarrass my kids.

#2 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

View Postaakachan, on May 12 2010, 09:46 AM, said:

Hi all,

I'm probably posting this in the wrong area, but it is a safety issue.
I will be bringing my 8-yo son on one of the ACEN days. He's too old (according to him) to
go into the ladies room with me & I feel uncomfortable sending him into the men's room alone at a
convention. Does anyone know where there might be a family bathroom, or a 1-person bathroom for
people who need assistance (or have paranoid moms)?

Thanks!

I... don't recall any family bathrooms or one-person bathrooms at the Hyatt or Convention Center, and a quick look at the maps confirm my suspicion (though it's possible I've overlooked something). There are lesser-used out-of-the-way bathrooms, though, such as the one in the hallway on the way to the Executive Wing. If you're worried about something happening to your son in the bathroom, you might opt to have him go in there.

I hope this helps.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#3 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

Also, if you're inside the convention center and not in an incredible rush, you could conceivably go to one of the other hotel lobbies that are likely to less crowded (or scary). [really going out of the way though]

You could potentially ask hotel staff to direct you to a bathroom in a not so overwhelmed area of the hotel. (based on Rabbi's suggestion)

This post has been edited by rondo: 17 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

#4 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

I can say for sure that neither the Hyatt or the Stephens have a family style bathroom, since I've had to make special arrangements for a disabled person who needed one attending '08. If either one has installed one since then, I haven't heard about it.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users