Anime Central Forums: On Snap Is This Really Another Relationship Thread? - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

On Snap Is This Really Another Relationship Thread? Well not really. Just a survey.

Poll: So the nitty gritty, who has and hasn't (105 member(s) have cast votes)

For the guys and girls

1. I have/had a boyfriend/girlfriend who was into anime/games (guys) (20 votes [16.26%])

Percentage of vote: 16.26%

2. I have/had a boyfriend/girlfriend who was wasn't into anime/gamers (guys) (14 votes [11.38%])

Percentage of vote: 11.38%

3. I have/had both (as in one who is, and one who isn't) (guys) (15 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

4. I never had a relationship. (guys) (12 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

5. I have/had a boyfriend/girlfriend who was into anime/games (ladies) (22 votes [17.89%])

Percentage of vote: 17.89%

6. I have/had a boyfriend/girlfriend who was wasn't into anime/gamers (ladies) (11 votes [8.94%])

Percentage of vote: 8.94%

7. I have/had both (as in one who is, and one who isn't) (ladies) (21 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

8. I never had a relationship. (ladies) (8 votes [6.50%])

Percentage of vote: 6.50%

Vote

#31 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

View PostCosmic, on May 12 2010, 07:58 PM, said:

I have actually never had a boyfriend. It's pretty freaking sucky to say that at 16 D:

<--- 20
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#32 User is offline   tweaker 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6642

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

People's interest change over time. While I still watch anime, I find that I like different genres now than I did ten years ago. I wouldn't balance a relationship on any one interest. And you cannot predict who you will fall in love with.

#33 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:23 PM

I agree tweaker, my boyfriend and I both like anime and video games, but we both love different things that don't involve them, like sports. He got me into hockey, but I've always liked baseball and football. We both enjoy the same music and enjoy going to concerts together.

I gained the confidence to ride a motorcycle thanks to him and now I want to actually learn how to ride one and want to own one. =3 I've gotten him into some real shows, like NCIS.

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#34 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

I have a harder time developing anything more than a casual relationship with someone that doesn't have a vested interest in gaming. Again I said harder, not impossible. Its just that to be able to talk enough and make a much deeper connection you have to have something to small talk about and if you have to explain each and every term while exposing yourself to someone it automatically creates a barrier that you must overcome.

i think it depends on how your hobbies define you as a person and your social interactions with other people.
i've been friends with people for almost a year and had almost no idea they went to acen until
around the time it rolled around and they tried to explain what they were doing next weekend without
sounding too nerdy.

it seems dangerous, to me, to base an entire relationship around an interest, especially when you're young.
when you're young, you're obsessed with something one moment and you totally outgrow it by next year.
i tend to be consistently interested in my interest, but that's rare from what i've seen. i can only imagine
what would happen if i based an entire relationship around watching anime together and a few months later one
of us lost interest in anime completely.

hobbies work as a conduit to find people with similar dispositions as yourself, but i don't think hobbies alone
work as the basis for any sort of relationship.

High school is way more important then finding some guy who you'll probably only date for a few months yknow?

this is old man talk--condescending old man talk. nowadays most girls tend to start dating around 12-14, i think.
not to mention...a lot of people DO find lasting relationships and get married right out of high school; being young
doesn't mean you can't discern a good relationship when it's there or the right person.

despite that, not having a boyfriend at 16 years old shouldn't be something to worry about. people do everything
at their own pace. if your force yourself into a relationship just to keep up with your friends and peers, you'll
just end up regretting it and being unhappy. if you don't have a boyfriend at 16 and most others do, it just means
you're holding out for someone really special. : D

i have a friend who got married right out of high school and i never once envied that situation. other people do
whatever makes them happy and you have to do what works for you.

#35 User is offline   ImNewHere 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 18485

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

I've not had a girlfriend in years. I think my nerdiness runs them off. 33, and pretty much single since 18. Yeah, it's bad.
For ACen 2012 pics go to http://www.scottyspot.com/acen2012.htm. If you want a full size pic PM me with an email address and tell me which one you would like.

I'm the Emperor of the Left Half of the Universe. I also have cool non-con pics here ---> http://voice0freason...t.com/gallery/?

I need a girlfriend.... No, really.

#36 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on May 12 2010, 10:25 PM, said:

i don't think hobbies alone work as the basis for any sort of relationship.

But...that's the basis of our relationship right?
No?

Sh*t.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#37 User is offline   tweaker 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:04 PM

View PostImNewHere, on May 13 2010, 04:01 AM, said:

I've not had a girlfriend in years. I think my nerdiness runs them off. 33, and pretty much single since 18. Yeah, it's bad.

By 33, it's more about how capable you are of supporting a family and being a responsible adult than your hobbies.

#38 User is offline   ImNewHere 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

With no family to support I get to go to loads of cons and feed my hobbies. I am in the top 4.4% richest people in the world! Well, according to this thing I saw on Yahoo earlier.
For ACen 2012 pics go to http://www.scottyspot.com/acen2012.htm. If you want a full size pic PM me with an email address and tell me which one you would like.

I'm the Emperor of the Left Half of the Universe. I also have cool non-con pics here ---> http://voice0freason...t.com/gallery/?

#39 User is offline   tweaker 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

View PostImNewHere, on May 13 2010, 05:08 AM, said:

With no family to support I get to go to loads of cons and feed my hobbies. I am in the top 4.4% richest people in the world! Well, according to this thing I saw on Yahoo earlier.

So go get a romance coach.

#40 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

View PostKii, on May 12 2010, 11:01 PM, said:

But...that's the basis of our relationship right?
No?

Sh*t.

we would still be dating if you weren't into anime and i didn't play video games.
we never really talked about that stuff until after we had been dating a little while, anyways.

you had pretty much stopped playing video games and i wasn't watching any anime when we first
began dating, actually..

#41 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on May 12 2010, 11:30 PM, said:

we would still be dating if you weren't into anime and i didn't play video games.
we never really talked about that stuff until after we had been dating a little while, anyways.

you had pretty much stopped playing video games and i wasn't watching any anime when we first
began dating, actually..

I was kidding, bro.
I'd still love you even if you were one of those people who called anime "animu" and watched football all day.
You know this.
God.

ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#42 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:38 PM

View PostKii, on May 12 2010, 11:36 PM, said:

I was kidding, bro.
I'd still love you even if you were one of those people who called anime "animu" and watched football all day.
You know this.
God.

you would love me more so.

#43 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on May 12 2010, 11:38 PM, said:

you would love me more so.

...Maybe.

#44 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:59 PM

View PostKii, on May 12 2010, 11:40 PM, said:

...Maybe.

lmao.

IN.
CON.
SOLABLE.

#45 User is offline   Professor_Hojo @_@ 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10054

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

I'm 17 and don't and never had a girlfriend. I'm not too preoccupied with getting one so im ok.

"doesn't mean i'm not lookin' ladies...."
ACen '12 Cosplays!!: ??????????????????

Visit me on Facebook! Tumblr! Twitter! DeviantArt!

#46 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on May 12 2010, 11:59 PM, said:

lmao.

IN.
CON.
SOLABLE.

AW BBY C'MON.

#47 User is offline   tweaker 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:37 PM

This back and forth bickering is so cute.

#48 User is offline   Cosmic 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 35190

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

I got groped at the rave around 3 times. Does that count? hahaha. /facepalm

#49 User is offline   xvszero 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 48208

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

I have only had one girlfriend, my current, who I have been dating for a couple months now.

She is not specifically into anime/video games.

She IS open to it though, and we have already watched a few anime movies together (Porco Rosso, Voices of a Distant Star, Tokyo Godfathers) and she seemed pretty actively engaged in them. And she keeps asking me when I'm going to show her some of my favorite video games (it's sort of tough we don't have easy access to TVs right now, we watch movies on laptops...)

Oh and she is an anthropologist PHD student right now so whenever I start talking about anime/gamer culture she starts asking tons of questions and actually gets pretty interested in the cultures. She even went out looking for studies done on gamer cultures...

#50 User is offline   sailorgaia 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3856

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

Having been in both types, I must say that being with someone who is just as much into anime and gaming as I am feels greatly superior to those in which we havenít shared the fandom. I am not saying that a person cannot love and be loved by someone who doesn't share their hobbies. In that case, I feel that it depends on the people and how accepting they are of other people's interests. The relationship that I was in where we did not share anime fandom wasn't one of those types. It got to be a him versus me topic; "you and your Japanese stuff..." etc., etc. It wears thin on you and makes you feel judged.

It makes me really happy when I can talk about anime with my boyfriend, although we're into different types! XD We can share our favorites and discuss/play video games together which is really fulfilling to both of us. Since sharing interests is one of the corner-stones of lasting relationships, it's just one of those many things that makes me feel like I have a keeper. :3
"I like it when you clap for me, Ultros. I can just close my eyes and imagine that four people are clapping for me at once!"
Locke, the Hand of God

#51 User is offline   Redrumcarebear 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 2404

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:11 AM

Hm... really like reading people's opinions in this thread. I've recently been having a slight relationship crisis because while I really care for the guy (we have been dating for four months) he isn't into anime or gaming or conventions like I am... and while I don't define myself by them I believe they have really impacted who I am. I really want a guy who understands the 'con experience' and who I can play WoW with etc etc. XP At least, that would be my "dream guy"... so while I have feelings for this guy I've been debating whether it is the right one or not. x.x

#52 User is offline   Ishoku Osero 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 8641

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:16 AM

I've been in relationships on both sides of the spectrum. I enjoyed the ones where they had more in common with me in terms of being geeky/nerdy than the ones that weren't, though. But I suppose either way they all fell flat, so I'm sure whoever I would happen to meet that would actually last a decent while without getting old and/or crappy, it wouldn't matter what they were into. Relationships really can go any direction, so you never know until you try.

#53 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:25 AM

I had both, but went for the otaku.
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#54 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

The responses in this thread and the poll is so interesting. I can honestly say the poll surprised me. Both sexes are roughly the same. The only breaking point is that girls had more of both then the guys, but both mirror each other very closely. Leaves more questions in my mind to figure out. :D
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#55 User is offline   ImNewHere 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

It is kinda creepy, but strangely compelling to see Kii and Kiichi-chan's posts next to each other because while they have the same avatar the timing on both is off.

Well, still girlfriendless less, but moving up in income and moving down to Nashville.

#56 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:53 AM

View PostCosmic, on May 12 2010, 07:58 PM, said:

I have actually never had a boyfriend. It's pretty freaking sucky to say that at 16 D:

I've got 4 years on ya and I've always been single.
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#57 User is offline   xvszero 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 48208

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

I didn't get my first (and only/current) girlfriend until 30.

There is DEFINITELY nothing wrong without having had a boyfriend/girlfriend at 16. Hell, I don't even really think it is that healthy to be dating that young, though I guess people have varying opinions on when the best time to start is.

#58 User is offline   Matt 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 1225

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

I have never had a girlfriend, but I have dated a girl who really didn't appreciate me lending her an issue of Oh! My Goddess (along with a Sleater-Kinney CD). She was pretty upset, and told me (in effect) that I should have never lent it to her because I should have known that she wasn't going to read it. So, I imagine that it helps if your boyfriend/girlfriend shares your interests in anime, manga and/or video games, so they won't be upset over something like that.
:heart: <span style='color:Magenta'>Proud Secretary of the Plushy Guardian Alliance</span> :heart:

:heart: <span style='color:Blue'>Soldier in The Glomp Team </span> :heart:

<span style='color:DarkSlateBlue'>Member of the Anime Central Association for the Advancement of Bunnykind</span>

#59 User is offline   hellocutie <3 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 58581

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

I don't know what it is, but if I like someone, they usually don't like anime. And I'm really upset at myself for this, but I'm always afraid to tell them that I watch anime and go to cons and stuff... I think it's because I'm afraid people will laugh at me for it, like they've done in the past... It's difficult for me to be a charming geek, in my opinion!
Look at my ribbon! Say hello to me when you see me! <3

#60 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:26 AM

<-- 26, never had a boyfriend. But it never bothered me - I have no desire to have kids, only thought about marriage in regards to how much more fun I'd want my wedding to be than most people's I've gone to, and very rarely have I felt like I was missing out by not having a boyfriend. I was always content with just "friends". Should I find the right guy, great, but it's not something I worry about.
Cosplay 2013:
Friday: Tsubaki (Sket Dance)
Saturday: Prince Alexander (King's Quest VI)
Sunday: uh, TMNT geek, lol

See you in the Alley! ^_^
Tenkuu no Chibi

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users