Anime Central Forums: Scared To Cosplay - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Scared To Cosplay Do you ever feel intimidated?

#1 User is offline   Kimmi Chan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 48073

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:50 AM

It's only a few more days 'til the big event and I'm already really freaking out. I'm starting to think that I should not cosplay this year, except for maybe one character. Right now, I'm really feeling intimidated of other people's well done cosplays and I don't want to get dirty looks for my costumes. For example, I dyed my hair black this year for Orochimaru but I also want to cosplay as Lightning and Zakuro. Problem is, I don't have any wigs and I'm afraid my pitch black hair will make the other two costumes look terrible. -.- I just feel scared. Does anyone else feel this way sometimes?
Music is my life ^_^ Zunage XD
Totoro, Totoro...

#2 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:56 AM

Of course i did my first time. You're see a large selection. From amazing, to terrible. However, no one cares, they just have fun.

When your there, your feel awkward if you don't cosplay.

This post has been edited by Kasin: 06 May 2010 - 01:56 AM

Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#3 User is offline   Kimmi Chan 

• Pip

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:03 AM

True, true. I guess I'm just mainly worried about my weight. I have acquired a pudge >.<
Totoro, Totoro...

#4 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:11 AM

I've seen them big, and small. chubby, and thin. doesn't matter! ^_^
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#5 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:29 AM

View PostKimmi Chan, on May 6 2010, 03:03 AM, said:

True, true. I guess I'm just mainly worried about my weight. I have acquired a pudge >.<

Girl, two words that resound in the minds of cosplayers and bring nightmares to their dreams.

Sailor Bubba

Who I believe last year also cosplayed as Lum ( For the love of god do not look up Lum or you will imagine him in that outfit and you DON'T want that!!!! )

I made my first cosplay with some help from me mum and trust me, everyone gets those jitters the first time but once you do it that fear is pretty much gone ( Unless your a worry wart like some people and you never get over it ).

You'll do fine, now get out there Acen weekend and strut your stuff in your costume!
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#6 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:57 AM

I was worried my first time. mainly because I bought the cosplay and it was cheaply made, fit JUST barely right and felt thrown together. But people loved my henna tattoo and how i looked and I felt SO Much better. It's always hard the first time I think because you have no idea what to expect..but after like an hour there..you'll feel just fine!
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#7 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:04 AM

Even if you aren't satisfied, chances are that someone else will be. Even in my worst costumes (which involved clothing held together by hot glue and spray in hair color - you don't get much worse than that XD), I still had someone come up to me and tell me I was awesome for cosplaying that character. Heck, I even had someone tell me I was the best they'd seen! The costume was absolutely terrible, and I didn't want to wear it, but my sis convinced me to anyway, and I had a great time. ^_^

Wig or no wig, I say go for it and just have fun, because that's what it's all about!

#8 User is offline   Inuyasha_kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 20562

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:12 AM

Of course you feel intimidated the first time around. Everyone does. I know I was, but then again the first time I actually cosplayed there were hardly anyone of that character. I cosplayed Ranma Soatome (Female) back at A-kon 14. And trust me, even back then I was overweight as I am now. I got compliments for my costume, though my grandma mostly made it.

When I posted up the picture on cosplay.com I had gotten several comments, that people loved the costume and that I was very Ranma like.. and now I know better not to use hair spray paint.

And who cares if you don't have the wig or the right hair color, just be yourself and have fun! Just tell them that your the 'evil twin' or something.

And don't worry about your weight.. there's to many people out there that worries about their weight when cosplaying. If your still intimidated about cosplaying, there's a panel that I am holding on Friday afternoon, its called "Plus Size cosplay" and I'm going to be going over the aspects of plus size cosplaying, about the emotional part of it. My friend she will be doing the sewing aspect of it, how to make things look more appealing. (sorry little shamless promotion there as well heeh)

This post has been edited by Inuyasha_kun: 06 May 2010 - 06:14 AM

"Humans are more arrogant and greedy, then any other living creature, and I am part human to, which is why I refuse to give up. On top of that...when a human has someone he has to protect, his power grows exponentially...I have what it takes to destroy you...all thanks to my human mother!!"

#9 User is offline   Sailor Anime 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 19583

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

View PostGwydion, on May 6 2010, 07:04 AM, said:

Even if you aren't satisfied, chances are that someone else will be. Even in my worst costumes (which involved clothing held together by hot glue and spray in hair color - you don't get much worse than that XD), I still had someone come up to me and tell me I was awesome for cosplaying that character. Heck, I even had someone tell me I was the best they'd seen! The costume was absolutely terrible, and I didn't want to wear it, but my sis convinced me to anyway, and I had a great time. ^_^

Wig or no wig, I say go for it and just have fun, because that's what it's all about!

Pretty much this. Someone will love you costume. Besides, no one will shun you or throw rotten tomatoes at you for wearing a costume. It's all supposed to be for fun anyway. So if you love the characters/series you're going as/from, you'll be fine. :3

#10 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:27 AM

Here's how pathetic I am. I am shy & I chose a fairly popular cosplay. I can't sew well, so I ordered it. Now I feel Like I shouldn't cosplay, because some one might want my picture & some one might not like it because I bought it instead of making it myself. I am nuts huh. I am nervous when I think people might want my picture & will probably be sick over it, but I think after an hour of it I hope I will get over it. Pathetic I am, told ya. Any way, I don't care what color your hair is & you shouldn't either, the point is for you to have fun & if an elite says some thing, let me know & I'll go black Haru on them! (Isn't find I am a coward for myself, but a hero for others, LOL!)
Currently writing a book.

#11 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

The real cosplayers are the ones who don't care if you are missing an item or don't have the right colored hair.

The elitists will always nit pick if you don't have every detail right or the wig styled perfectly, etc. I don't think of them as real cosplayers. This is all my opinion.

Real cosplayers have hearts and love people for cosplaying and having fun with it. =3

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#12 User is offline   Kimmi Chan 

• Pip

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

Wow, thank you guys!! This really helps a lot. ^^ You're all so nice :3 I'm going to make my list for acen right nao! :D
Totoro, Totoro...

#13 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

Just do it! Don't worry about it! There will be TONS of cosplayers so you wont feel out of place. Actually at acen when I am not in cosplay I feel out of place!

And this year is the first year I am showing off my Faye Valentine and THAT is something I am nervous about! Its the first "risque" kind of outfit I've ever done! Hopefully it wont be cold! lol

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#14 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

Trust me, with men running around in skirts and girls dressed as boys you have nothing to worry about, and if an elite walks up to you and gives you crap, just deck them in them in the face or pour paint on their cosplay >D

No no...bad Taiyaki, violence is not the answer!
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#15 User is offline   Mr. Turnabout 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19057

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, I'm kinda worried myself, only cause someone last year had said something rude to my Girlfriend and she was already nervous about Cos-playing.
I really hope this doesn't happen again. -____-;
Name is Jadwin. No. It's not fake. Seriously.
My Man. If only I was /THIS/ good.
I'd call myself a Cos-player, but that means I've really cos-played, and well... that hasn't happened yet.

Well, I'd like to Cos-play at some point.

#16 User is offline   S1NN3R 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 11618
  • Location:Barrington, IL - US / London, England - UK )( Sector 7C

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

Bought or made doesn't matter. It's the concept that counts. If your respect and passion for a certion charicter is the reason for the cosplay, then wear it proudly with your head held high

This post has been edited by S1NN3R: 06 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

"You'll never have any answers untill you ask the questions"
When people start asking, I'll answer.

Contact Me

Acens attended. 1998-2002, 04-06,08-Present

#17 User is offline   Kimmi Chan 

• Pip

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

View PostMr. Turnabout, on May 6 2010, 02:47 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm kinda worried myself, only cause someone last year had said something rude to my Girlfriend and she was already nervous about Cos-playing.
I really hope this doesn't happen again. -____-;

Oh, thats so mean. I hope that doesn't happen to her again as well. :(
Totoro, Totoro...

#18 User is offline   Kimmi Chan 

• Pip

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

View PostTaiyakiZero, on May 6 2010, 02:42 PM, said:

Trust me, with men running around in skirts and girls dressed as boys you have nothing to worry about, and if an elite walks up to you and gives you crap, just deck them in them in the face or pour paint on their cosplay >D

No no...bad Taiyaki, violence is not the answer!

HAHAHAHA lol ^^
Totoro, Totoro...

#19 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

ive seen some stuff
some stuff i cant unsee
if its not illegal
youll be fine
there will be others way worse
and doing it way harder
the kind of stuff that takes commitment

(is not in anyway condoning inappropriate behavior)
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#20 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

View PostLina, on May 6 2010, 12:28 PM, said:

The real cosplayers are the ones who don't care if you are missing an item or don't have the right colored hair.

The elitists will always nit pick if you don't have every detail right or the wig styled perfectly, etc. I don't think of them as real cosplayers. This is all my opinion.

Real cosplayers have hearts and love people for cosplaying and having fun with it. =3

^ Heckyeah, this. Totally this.

...but how do you tell the difference between an elitist and someone who's honestly trying to help?

If someone scoffs and/or nitpicks without giving you at least one really good piece of advice, they're elitist (and a bit of a jerk).

Community-driven cosplayers will welcome you, talk to you, and give you advice (and if you encounter them online, they are usually the ones who make the tutorials). Some are the type to give you tips on the spot--things like how to pose to best suit your cosplay/character (or just flatter you a bit more), where to find the awesome shoes you may not have known you needed, or even a safety pin or wig adjustment (I have adjusted a fair number of wigs, because they do like to crawl around when you're not looking...).
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#21 User is offline   Kimmi Chan 

• Pip

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

View PostMillions_Knives, on May 6 2010, 03:46 PM, said:

ive seen some stuff
some stuff i cant unsee
if its not illegal
youll be fine
there will be others way worse
and doing it way harder
the kind of stuff that takes commitment

(is not in anyway condoning inappropriate behavior)

What's this about "illegal" stuff? And what inappropriate behavior?
Totoro, Totoro...

#22 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:45 AM

Illegal as in, not abiding by the indecency laws. There was once a girl who was sexy no jutsu Naruto and the outfit was JUST cotton balls. NOTHING else.

There have been some Leeloos from Fifth Element and Felicias and other characters that wear very risque outfits, but all followed the indecency laws, though some of them didn't wear nude colored clothing to make sure things didn't get exposed if an accident were to happen. >> But that's something different.

Basically, wearing a costume that doesn't cover all the naughty areas is illegal.

Anyways, that's what I'm assuming he means.

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#23 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:49 AM

I think I saw that girl but then again, some girls there were half clad.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#24 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:53 AM

I saw them all ^_~

#25 User is offline   xMelloCat 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 43597

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:13 AM

Exactly! See, all my cosplays are closet cosplays. I won't even have the right shoes either! But I mean, it's all about having fun. Of course, throughout these days you'll want to have a touch up, but the experience is still fun overall! :3

#26 User is offline   Briefasa 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 15562

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:33 AM

I've never been the best cosplayer, but I never stopped.
The only time I was really intimidated was at Youma last year... My mom thought it'd be nice to make the costume for me since she knew how much I love Hetalia (I was cosplaying Belarus) and conventions, and she just likes to be awesome every now and then. Sadly it took her 3 months to cut the fabric, another 3 months to start, and she didn't finish until the day I was leaving. I put it on and I was really thankful that she made it for me, and I felt horribly awful and spoiled for this, but I was pretty disappointed. Mostly at the apron, though. We recycled an old apron my grandma used for a Raggedy Ann costume from a good couple of years ago, so she left the normal white belt on and put the fabric for her belt over just the front part and left the back of it white. And (this part was entirely my fault for measuring wrong....) I didn't get enough lace for the entire bottom of the dress so it had a pretty noticeable gap in the back.
Well this didn't stop me since I had been so excited about cosplaying her, and I was really happy my mom wanted to do this for me. Of course I was rooming with some reeeeaaaaaallllllly good cosplayers, which is probably what intimidated me the most, although they were extremely helpful!

But I still wore it and had quite a lot of fun! (I was also the only Belarus cosplayer there that I know of so I had all the Russias to myself >D One even proposed to ME!)
And most importantly, if I didn't wear the costume I wouldn't have had the guts to talk to a lot of the other Hetalia cosplayers and made some really great friends! (Not that you have to cosplay to make friends. I'm just severely shy so it's hard for me to talk to people, but this made it so much easier for me.)

(And it also helps to take a break from cosplaying for like an hour or so if you're getting too uncomfortable for some reason. This gives you time to recharge and relax a bit.)

..Sorry this was so long... >>

#27 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

Don't be scared. *e-hugs!* Most of us appreciate any cosplay, and you sound like you've put a lot of thought and heart into your cosplay--believe me, that shows. Even if you buy a costume, it takes a lot of thought and a lot of soul to think of who you want to go as--is it a favorite character? One that touched you on some level? Or is it one that you just admire the costume of? Any of these questions, and more, are what make cosplay fun--the reasons people pick the costumes they pick, the characters they want to portray, for just a day, a few hours, or the entire weekend, it doesn't matter. The fact is, it takes a desire, a want, to cosplay, and accuracy isn't the point--it's the reason, that makes the cosplay awesome. Now don't get me wrong, great cosplay is certainly going to get attention, but I personally appreciate the hard work, and, in this case, courage, it takes to don a costume. It's not just clothing--it's a way of life.

^_^
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#28 User is offline   MOMO2 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 49830

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:12 AM

this is my first and I am nervous but it will be fun anyways.
The only thing to fear is yourself.

#29 User is offline   Kimmi Chan 

• Pip

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

View PostLina, on May 7 2010, 01:45 AM, said:

Illegal as in, not abiding by the indecency laws. There was once a girl who was sexy no jutsu Naruto and the outfit was JUST cotton balls. NOTHING else.

There have been some Leeloos from Fifth Element and Felicias and other characters that wear very risque outfits, but all followed the indecency laws, though some of them didn't wear nude colored clothing to make sure things didn't get exposed if an accident were to happen. >> But that's something different.

Basically, wearing a costume that doesn't cover all the naughty areas is illegal.

Anyways, that's what I'm assuming he means.

Oh my! I don't have anything like that! That's pretty scary o.O

View PostSayuri-chan, on May 7 2010, 08:48 AM, said:

Don't be scared. *e-hugs!* Most of us appreciate any cosplay, and you sound like you've put a lot of thought and heart into your cosplay--believe me, that shows. Even if you buy a costume, it takes a lot of thought and a lot of soul to think of who you want to go as--is it a favorite character? One that touched you on some level? Or is it one that you just admire the costume of? Any of these questions, and more, are what make cosplay fun--the reasons people pick the costumes they pick, the characters they want to portray, for just a day, a few hours, or the entire weekend, it doesn't matter. The fact is, it takes a desire, a want, to cosplay, and accuracy isn't the point--it's the reason, that makes the cosplay awesome. Now don't get me wrong, great cosplay is certainly going to get attention, but I personally appreciate the hard work, and, in this case, courage, it takes to don a costume. It's not just clothing--it's a way of life.

^_^

Thank you! *e-hugs back*
Totoro, Totoro...

#30 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

Last year was my first time cosplaying and I was slightly nervous. I was Tenchi Masaki in his blue jacket/pants deal and I kind of threw it together over the span of the year. As expected I got the two following...

"I don't know who that is." I'm somewhat fine with that. I walk around the con not recognizing characters, but I still took pics of people I didn't recognize.

But my personal favorite, even after I had my photo taken with my buddy, "You don't look like him much."

Boy I wanted to slug number two something fierce. But I didn't let it ruin my time. I let it go and I said to myself "You set that goal and you met it. You should be proud of yourself." And I was. Even though I don't think it was high quality in my opinion I still did it.

Now I'm armed with knowledge, connections, and cash. Despite the fact my cosplay this year is comissioned I know the ultimate goal is have fun. And I'll give you a suggestion or two, just don't take it offensively, take it as constructive criticism.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users