• This topic is locked

Making A Sheath For A Foam Sword? Clueless on where to begin

#1 User is offline   Flame_Alchemist2002 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 15801

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

Well for my Xing Ke cosplay I need to make a sheath for the sword. The thing is....the sword is one of those nerf foamy swords from Walmart. What material should I use and how can I do this the right way? I have a link to a picture of his sheath below

http://linry-fr.deviantart.com/art/Wallpap...e-Geas-99710103
~ACen 2014!~
~Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)--Finished
~Klavier Gavin (Apollo Justice)----Finished
~Pocahontas --------75%
~Soul Eater Evans (Soul Eater)----Finished
~Lea (Kingdom Hearts: BBS) --------Finished
"Xion dies, Axel is alone, Roxas' life is a lie. Oh, and they never get to the beach.
THIS IS A DISNEY GAME. >_> " -CheesyGranola (358/2 summary)

#2 User is offline   sweetbeanpaste 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 33071

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

Moar foam!

Get a large sheet of foamy material, and bond it together with hot glue or super glue.
Currently Watching: Supernatural | Currently Constructing: n/a | Currently Playing: n/a | Next Con: DragonCon 2012?
---

~2012: Friday Cosplay- Vriska Serket(Make Her Pay)/Homestuck [100%] | Saturday Cosplay- Princess Zelda/Wind Waker [100%] | Sunday Cosplay- GLaDOS/Portal 2 [100%]
~2011: Saturday Cosplay- Suigintou/Rozen Maiden [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- Kallen Kozuki/Code Geass (Black Knights) [100%] [x]
~2010: Saturday Cosplay- Princess Rosalina/Super Mario Galaxy [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- San/Princess Mononoke [95%] [x]
~2009: Saturday Cosplay- Kouno Tohru/Princess Princess [100%] [x] | Sunday Outfit- Neko [100%]
Other Cosplays Include: Rose Lalonde/Homestuck, Sakura Haruno/Naruto, Random Quidditch Player/Harry Potter, Trace/Onward Bound, Marceline/Adventure Time, Dead Shuffle Jade Harley/Homestuck, Dog Tier Jade Harley/Homestuck, and Dress of Eclectica Jade Harley/Homestuck.
I do have a Facebook! I do commission! Shoot me a message!

#3 User is offline   Flame_Alchemist2002 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:15 AM

But then it just falls apart or rips since I tried foam before D:

I was thinking since I have 2 giant sheets of charcoal paper if I could make it out of something like that, but I'm not sure yet
~ACen 2014!~
~Pocahontas --------75%
"Xion dies, Axel is alone, Roxas' life is a lie. Oh, and they never get to the beach.

#4 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

You can try the foam method, but instead of leaving it as-is, wrap it with clear packing tape. That way it has a protective layer to keep it from ripping and also helps to keep it bound so it won't fall apart. You can use that method with the charcoal paper, too, and with the paper it will help keep it somewhat sturdy. =)
My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Friday: Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Saturday: Leafeon Gijinka - Pokemon
Sunday: Kotoha - Arata Kangatari

#5 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

View Postranefea, on May 6 2010, 08:06 AM, said:

You can try the foam method, but instead of leaving it as-is, wrap it with clear packing tape. That way it has a protective layer to keep it from ripping and also helps to keep it bound so it won't fall apart. You can use that method with the charcoal paper, too, and with the paper it will help keep it somewhat sturdy. =)

I would go this way. ^

The foam would give it a base, and the charcoal color would give it the right look you want. I suggest though that when you go to tape it together, use a non-reflective type of tape, otherwise it might look strange. (Though I'm not sure, I've never made a prop with packing tape before. <.> ) I would suggest electrical tape, or perhaps some black duct tape, if you can make it look, ya know, not duct-taped ish. x.x
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#6 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

The craft foam may be a bit flimsy and prone to ripping/coming apart. Insulation foam (can be gotten in thin-ish sheets) may work. A heavy "shirt cardboard" (sometimes called chipboard) or poster board could give it shape and some strength. You could also paint it with spray paint or the like. You may also need some sort of stiff/strong sorta circular/oval thingie for the open end of the sheath to keep it open and allow you to get sword in and out easily (of course nothing comes to mind right now...). The stiff top would also give you a spot to attach something to hook to your belt/sash/whatever that would be strong enough not to rip/tear apart.

Just some thoughts.
This space intentionally left blank.

#7 User is offline   Flame_Alchemist2002 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

View Postranefea, on May 6 2010, 09:06 AM, said:

The charcoal paper I have is the right color blue for the sheath, I was thinking if the charcoal paper was used first to create a shell, and then layer it with foam?...(as in...hot glue the foam onto the charcoal paper since it might stick better?)

I can always paint the foam since I have a lot of paint anyways :P
~ACen 2014!~
~Pocahontas --------75%

#8 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

View PostFlame_Alchemist2002, on May 6 2010, 10:52 PM, said:

The charcoal paper I have is the right color blue for the sheath, I was thinking if the charcoal paper was used first to create a shell, and then layer it with foam?...(as in...hot glue the foam onto the charcoal paper since it might stick better?)

I can always paint the foam since I have a lot of paint anyways :P

Yeah, that could work. And just make sure your seams are opposite if you can - as in if the foam seam is on the right, make the paper seam on the left and it will help secure it and be easier to patch up if something were to happen. Also with the foam outside if it were to hit something or something hit it, foam bounces back, paper doesn't so much so at least you wouldn't be walking around with a dent in it. =P
My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Friday: Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Saturday: Leafeon Gijinka - Pokemon
Sunday: Kotoha - Arata Kangatari

#9 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

View Postobakasan, on May 6 2010, 03:49 PM, said:

The craft foam may be a bit flimsy and prone to ripping/coming apart. Insulation foam (can be gotten in thin-ish sheets) may work. A heavy "shirt cardboard" (sometimes called chipboard) or poster board could give it shape and some strength. You could also paint it with spray paint or the like. You may also need some sort of stiff/strong sorta circular/oval thingie for the open end of the sheath to keep it open and allow you to get sword in and out easily (of course nothing comes to mind right now...). The stiff top would also give you a spot to attach something to hook to your belt/sash/whatever that would be strong enough not to rip/tear apart.

Just some thoughts.

listen to this guy

all other plans are not advised
sry i know it sounds bad

good times to all
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#10 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

Okay, for something stiff to help keep top open, I had a thought... cut out a slice from a 12-24 ounce plastic pop or maybe water bottle (pop bottles are a bit sturdier). You can flatten it slightly to get an oval effect. Will depend on size ("diameter/width") of sword and stiffness of the sheath material. The stiffer the material the stronger/thicker/springiner the oval thing would need to be to keep it open. Stick it inside the sheath so it's out of sight and pushes against material. Secure it so it won't slide.

Also, and this may mean more work, if the sword has a "daimond-shaped" cross section, you may have to "build" the sheath in a diamond shape as well (more pieces, more cutting, more fitting, more fastening). Four strips of insulation foam with edges cut at such an angle to make a diamoind shape? May be more work than it is worth... Plus it could break.

Poster board or cardboard would bend first, and you may just be able to crease it into shape. (Running a sharp knife blade along the crease line would help keep it "sharp".)

("Real" fabric/leather even wood sheaths often would have metal pieces at top and bottom to hold shape, provide belt attachement points, and keep tip of blade from poking through material. Were known as "furniture." Not sure why... A semi-flattened aluminum or steel can could serve a the top but you would be runing into the sharp edge problem. Finishing the bottom was always a problem... especially if you wanted it sorta pointed rather than just "flat.")

Just letting my imagination run here. Some of this may not be practical.
This space intentionally left blank.

#11 User is offline   Flame_Alchemist2002 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

I just want something that's not complicated to follow @__@

I have very little time to throw this together, because of finals week and work leaving me with one day to do this. I can always remake the sheath at a later time....I just want a way that won't take me a long time to finish because I honestly don't have enough time to do it :(
~ACen 2014!~
~Pocahontas --------75%

#12 User is offline   TR Rose 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 46200

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

I've used foamcore (usually used for presentations - you can find it near the posterboard at Michaels) to make a sheath for a foam sword before. Basically this material is like two layers of posterboard with styrofoam inside. You can shape this into a curve (to hold your sword) by wetting the back with water and working a curve into it with your hands. I've used the edge of the bathtub to work a curve into foamcore sheets. It takes a little patience, but once it dries, the curve will stay in the foamcore. You'll want to make two curved pieces and then join them together (I'm not sure what kind of glue I used, sorry). Make sure the sword fits inside before you glue!

You can decorate the sheath with fun foam and/or paint once it's dry.

I used this technique for my Link scabbard and it's held up over years of wear. Usually I didn't carry it around with the sword inside, but I did use it to store the sword between conventions.

Best of all, this technique is quite inexpensive and quick to do. Hope this helps.
ACEN Photos in progress! Please stay tuned!

ACEN 2010: N. Italy (APH), Luna (Lunar:SSSC), Marle (Chrono Trigger), White Mage (FF)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users