Anime Central Forums: Smash Star Suggestions (ssbb Related) - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Smash Star Suggestions (ssbb Related)

#1 User is offline   'Tano 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 19599

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:04 AM

5min matches with Corneria and Luigi's Mansion - oh Lawd. I know Acen's video game tournaments are meant for fun with a dash of competitive spirit instilled, but coming from a guy that attends tournaments regularly for SSBB, this will NOT end well. I'm not asking to make a huge haul on your list, but please reconsider this:

* Making the stage list like this:
- Battlefield
- Smashville
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Island (brawl version)
- Delfino Plaza
- Lylat Cruise
- Pokemon Stadium 1
- Frigate Orpheon
- Halberd
- Castle Siege
- Brinstar

OR THIS
- Battlefield
- Smashville
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Island (Brawl version)
- Lylat Cruise (Brawl version)

EXPLANATION ON WHY AND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO:

The first list I made is the official SBR list ( http://www.smashboar...ad.php?t=230481 ) with a few exceptions (Midwest bans a few of their suggested stages). They include both counterpicks - stages in which you choose after you lose the 1st round - and neutrals. This stage list has some pros and cons. Some characters, King Dedede ie, have significant advantages over other characters on stages like Delfino. Why? Because at points the stage transfers to areas where he can chaingrab his opponent clear off the stage, inducing a 0 to death strategy (which is legal because he neither performs an infinite or creates stalling). On the other hand, with your rules, one player can simply refuse to go to it. In the end, the first list has more variety, but more risks.

The second list I made is the official SBR neutral list. All of these stages have zero hazards, zero stage resets (meaning they transfer to another area, like Castle Siege or Delfino Plaza), provide an even playing ground for the ENTIRE cast, and grants no pros or cons. Yes, some characters inherit certain attributes (ie: Diddy Kong's amazing ground control is complimented by FD's flat surface with no platforms to hide on), but once again... both players can agree or refuse to play on any stage. In the end, this list will make choosing a stage easier and more effective, but creates less variety and maybe "fun" for casuals.

EXPLANATION ON THE 5MIN TIMER.

I don't expect you guys to change this. Time restraints are a pain, and you guys are on a schedule so I understand and can see your view. However, I'll explain why a 5min timer isn't efficient. Brawl is a slow, patient game, and it requires a lot of adaption and analyzing of your opponent. Generally speaking, 1 stock could take up to 2mins to even finish... let alone certain characters rely on playing defensive (Falco, Olimar, Dedede, Snake, etc). This can create a playing field where players are "forced" to put themselves in a disadvantageous situation because both parties are constantly approaching one another. It creates a new metagame for Brawl, but alas... time restraints. If you guys can reconsider the time to 8mins for Grand Finals, I'll appreciate it (because I can guarantee you I'll be in it lol).

Alright, sorry for the long post D: I hope this helps a little.
Exoskeletal junction at the railroad delayed
Music major and music enthusiast.
Regularly known as Akashi on AiB and Smashboards ;o

#2 User is offline   SheikTheGeek 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9773

Post icon  Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:33 AM

The staff has never done your typical SSBB tournament with the ruleset you see in the circuits.
YuGiOh Enthusiast
Pokemon Enthusiast
UFS Enthusiast

#3 User is offline   'Tano 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

View PostSheikTheGeek, on May 4 2010, 05:33 AM, said:

The staff has never done your typical SSBB tournament with the ruleset you see in the circuits.

I understand - I've been going to Acen for the last 3 years :P. I also saw their disclaimer at the end, stating that this isn't a "pro-regulated brawl circuit". I'm merely suggesting a few easy changes that'll make the game still as entertaining, but with a few more balances.

#4 User is offline   Kane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5485

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

'Tano; we greatly appreciate and consider all input on things such as tournament rulesets; however, you may want to rethink your thread titles (which I took the liberty of changing) if you wish to be taken seriously.

#5 User is offline   Gorilla Derby 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 29214

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

Well, who knows what unprecedented rule will be added to the mix to make things fine, or fun. If it's not supposed to be ultra competitive, it'll hardly matter what rules are there as long as it's fun and interesting.

I'm the VG head at NoBrandCon, and I hosted a variant SSBB Doubles tournament that had all stages legal, and all items on. Why? Because it would make things more fun. Why? Because I made them use Wiimotes and nunchucks and forced them to swap nunchucks with their teammate. In all honesty, Brawl wasn't made to be competitive. It's not like Melee was, so why force it to be that way?

I like the idea of throwing standards aside for the sake of fun. I figure this won't be as insane as mine, but it could still very well be fun.

#6 User is offline   'Tano 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:39 PM

View PostGorilla Derby, on May 4 2010, 09:10 PM, said:

I'm the VG head at NoBrandCon, and I hosted a variant SSBB Doubles tournament that had all stages legal, and all items on. Why? Because it would make things more fun. Why? Because I made them use Wiimotes and nunchucks and forced them to swap nunchucks with their teammate. In all honesty, Brawl wasn't made to be competitive. It's not like Melee was, so why force it to be that way?

I like the idea of throwing standards aside for the sake of fun. I figure this won't be as insane as mine, but it could still very well be fun.

Your definition of fun can vary from person to person - the difference between you and I, however, is the fact that I clearly stated I was giving my variation. You may think the more random factors you can throw into a game = more hectic gameplay = more fun, but to some the constant stream of craziness is more of a nuisance than an addition to a match. Brawl wasn't made to be competitive, but neither was Melee. Melee has some weird physics to it, hence why Wavedashing/l-cancel/SHFF ledge tactics work. Creating a more balanced environment, while adding ailments of "silliness" is something I think is ideal for a non-competitive tourney Smash Star is trying to create. That's why I don't want an entire overhaul, but minor switches.

Kane said:

'Tano; we greatly appreciate and consider all input on things such as tournament rulesets; however, you may want to rethink your thread titles (which I took the liberty of changing) if you wish to be taken seriously.

I figured the title would attract some attention, and at the very least get a moderator's attention :P. Sorry though, I'm not trying to put down your tournament or anything. Since you made the sticky, and included all the rules/regulations, what do you think about my proposition?

#7 User is offline   mikedabomb22 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 56963

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

View Post'Tano, on May 5 2010, 12:39 AM, said:

Your definition of fun can vary from person to person - the difference between you and I, however, is the fact that I clearly stated I was giving my variation. You may think the more random factors you can throw into a game = more hectic gameplay = more fun, but to some the constant stream of craziness is more of a nuisance than an addition to a match. Brawl wasn't made to be competitive, but neither was Melee. Melee has some weird physics to it, hence why Wavedashing/l-cancel/SHFF ledge tactics work. Creating a more balanced environment, while adding ailments of "silliness" is something I think is ideal for a non-competitive tourney Smash Star is trying to create. That's why I don't want an entire overhaul, but minor switches.

I figured the title would attract some attention, and at the very least get a moderator's attention :P. Sorry though, I'm not trying to put down your tournament or anything. Since you made the sticky, and included all the rules/regulations, what do you think about my proposition?

will the tournament hosts provide the classic controller pro or gamecube controllers?? or do we need to bring our own? i am a total noob for this acen but i am super excited!

thanks

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users