Anime Central Forums: English Manga, Thoughts On It? - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

English Manga, Thoughts On It? Do you read it, like it, think there should be more of it?

Poll: Do you like or Read English Manga (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you Read English Manga?

1. Yes (10 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

2. No (5 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

3. Sometimes (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

Would you buy a Shonen Jump Style book of English Manga?

1. Yes (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

2. No (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

3. Maybe (9 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

Do you think there should be some sort of book that acts like Weekly Jump for English and International Manga artist?

1. Absolutely (9 votes [39.13%])

2. Not Really (5 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

3. Possibly (9 votes [39.13%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

I'll throw out some more examples of American manga (whether or not you think this is manga is up to you, but it's generally percieved as manga).

First off, Adam Warren's Empowered. Keiichi's right in that Dirty Pair was "cleaned up" using a computer--this was because Dark Horse was selling it and Warren was going for more of an anime feel (since most fans of DP would be familiar with the anime). His earlier work wasn't nearly as clean. Empowered is independently published for the most part, and Warren uses B&W pencils and ink.

Second, Fred Perry's Gold Digger. I can see Keiichi's point here that GD isn't quite manga, though it's sold as such. This from the late 1990s; Perry also uses computers nowadays extensively. Note that Perry was a guest last year at ACen as a manga artist.

Third, Ben Dunn's Ninja High School. I would definitely class Dunn as a manga artist; indeed, he's known as the "Godfather of American Manga" for a reason. NHS has been running more or less steadily since 1987.

Fourth, JL Anderson's take on NHS. JL draws in a sort-of shojo style. (She's also an acquaintance of mine, so I like to give her a little free press. :thumbup: )

Those are the ones I'm most familiar with. Would these be classified as manga if they were published in Japan? If so/not, why? And if so, why wouldn't they be considered "true" manga in the States?

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"And here's some chibi manga"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#32 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:50 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on Apr 23 2010, 03:36 PM, said:

Those are the ones I'm most familiar with. Would these be classified as manga if they were published in Japan? If so/not, why? And if so, why wouldn't they be considered "true" manga in the States?

Yes they would, the last time I was in Japan I found Avengers manga on sale, It was an untranslated Marvel Trade Paperback that someone imported to Japan. Unlike the US they do not have different names based on where they come from, the US only does it to help drive up sales and general marketing purposes. All manga is referred to as trade paperbacks with in the industry. When I place manga orders they are in the same area of the software as the non-premium companies like Avatar and Boom.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#33 User is offline   proxy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19396

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

View Postjsieczkar, on Apr 23 2010, 02:05 PM, said:

I've never understood the whole "if it is not from Japan I won't read it or watch it". I don't care where something is from if it is good i'll read or watch it. Some of the best animation and comics are coming from outside of Japan or North America by limiting yourself to only a small scope you are missing so much great material.

Agreed.

#34 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on Apr 23 2010, 02:36 PM, said:

I'll throw out some more examples of American manga (whether or not you think this is manga is up to you, but it's generally percieved as manga).

First off, Adam Warren's Empowered. Keiichi's right in that Dirty Pair was "cleaned up" using a computer--this was because Dark Horse was selling it and Warren was going for more of an anime feel (since most fans of DP would be familiar with the anime). His earlier work wasn't nearly as clean. Empowered is independently published for the most part, and Warren uses B&W pencils and ink.

Second, Fred Perry's Gold Digger. I can see Keiichi's point here that GD isn't quite manga, though it's sold as such. This from the late 1990s; Perry also uses computers nowadays extensively. Note that Perry was a guest last year at ACen as a manga artist.

Third, Ben Dunn's Ninja High School. I would definitely class Dunn as a manga artist; indeed, he's known as the "Godfather of American Manga" for a reason. NHS has been running more or less steadily since 1987.

Fourth, JL Anderson's take on NHS. JL draws in a sort-of shojo style. (She's also an acquaintance of mine, so I like to give her a little free press. :thumbup: )

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"And here's some chibi manga"

The only one that I wouldn't have known was drawn by Americans if you hadn't told me was Ninja High School.

The others are fairly easy to tell, because of small details. For instance, in that image from Empowered you posted, the artwork looks more like Teen Titans than like anime (the female character in that looks like Terra). The proportions in Gold Digger make it look like something out of one of those "how to draw manga" books you find at the book store and the lines are way too clean for a manga.

And I'd just like to point out, I love American cartoons (I'm maybe just a little bit obsessed with Ben10: Alien Force... :blush:) . I just have a problem with something claiming to be something it's not. "Vegetarian meat," especially when it claims to be a specific type of meat ("vegetarian chicken," "Vegetarian beef," "Vegetarian pork," etc. etc.) bothers me too.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users