Anime Central Forums: Post Cards, Book Marks, And Other Such Items Question - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Post Cards, Book Marks, And Other Such Items Question Do people buy smaller items more then the larger ones?

#1 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

So this is our first year in artist Alley, Yay for that. Anyway I'm curious as to how much people normally buy of bookmarks and postcards of characters that have been drawn. Any suggestions?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#2 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

I buy random items like bookmarks and such if I find the art to be adorable/awesome. Pretty much anyone will buy something with their favorite character on it. ^.^

Congrats on being in AA! Words of wisdom: Make friends with the tables next to you!

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#3 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

I've noticed that character based bookmarks and such sell pretty well. Like Ska said, if something has someone's favourite character on it, they usually want it. Especially if it's an uncommon character. =) I do both character bookmarks and graphic design bookmarks but the character bookmarks sell much, much better.

And I can't agree more with what Ska said - making friends with the people around you is a must! You'll have someone to talk with, share snacks and sometimes keep an eye on your table for the occasional bathroom run. =D

My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Friday: Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Saturday: Leafeon Gijinka - Pokemon
Sunday: Kotoha - Arata Kangatari

#4 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

I will certainly keep this in mind! Thank you guys.

Um question though, what is considered unsual characters? Older series or just the random cool character from the more popular ones?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#5 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

Uncommon characters can be more obscure characters from a popular series, characters from a not-so-well-known series or characters from a long-forgotten series. For instance I do a lot of Fushigi Yuugi stuff (It's been my favourite series for many, many years) and the fandom is diminished. Every year I get people who want my key chains because they used to love it FY (or still do) but very few people have anything from it. =) Does that make sense?

My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Friday: Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Saturday: Leafeon Gijinka - Pokemon
Sunday: Kotoha - Arata Kangatari

#6 User is offline   AgentHazel 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 47545

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

I definitely agree with Ska also!
I would be more likely to buy a bookmark, button, or something small with a favorite character on it.
I think it's also fun to find something that's not necessarily anime related just out of the blue.

#7 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

Think outside the box. For personal experience, I was looking through vendors and saw a Trigun TOWEL! Boy was I giddy. I didnt even ask for a price. I was like GIMME!!! And it was at a good price too, but I mean...a Trigun TOWEL! It was (and still is lol) awesome! I didnt see it anywhere so I had to buy it and thats pretty much how every anime/manga fan is.

If you create something out of the box with characters that people love they will buy it! =3

Also I find that another thing that sells well are the custom pillows just to give you an idea.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#8 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

You know what I would love to buy?

An anime or gamer eyeglass case!

#9 User is offline   Christy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 2434

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

I think that the main gest is to make the book marks and post cards the very best you can. Do what you love but also look at your art with an objective eye to select the very best, most polished peices you have for reproduction. If you are still working on your offerings, put every effort you can into the artwork that you plan to bring to your table. Make sure your reproduction methods allow you to price the items reasonably for what they are.

Bookmarks and post cards are popular because they can usually be had for a cheaper price than a poster or expensive print. Plus, they're portable which is also appealing. But in the end, a person will buy something in the artist alley because it speaks to them - be it because it's a favoriate character, it's from a series that's hard to find, they have a fond nostalgia for the series, or it's just a really good peice of artwork.

#10 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:54 PM

View PostSongstressLenne, on Apr 21 2010, 04:47 PM, said:

Now THATS a great idea! I'd love one too! (technically I dont even have a case for my glasses ^.^')
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#11 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:38 PM

You guys are giving me some really good ideas that I will be looking into in the next few days.

Out side of eyeglass cases what would people like to see? I'm curious now.

I was thinking head bands or like a wallet?

Pardon the Pause

#12 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:17 AM

Wallets and change purses would be awesome! I could use a Sgt. Frog one! =D

Tote bags would be cool too, but might be expensive to customize. Or even wristbands.

If I come up with more ideas, I will post them here. =)

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#13 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

Small lesser-priced items are good for impulse buys. People think less of handing over just a few dollars vs a $5 or more. So yeah, if it gets enough attention it should sell well. Have a nice stand-up display so people can see it from a good distance away, and hopefully draw them over.

I've seen bookmarks, but not many postcard sized art. For that matter, playing card / trading card size could be cool. Even for your own original characters. Name on the front, and maybe fun facts on the back. ;)
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#14 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on Apr 22 2010, 09:07 AM, said:

Small lesser-priced items are good for impulse buys. People think less of handing over just a few dollars vs a $5 or more. So yeah, if it gets enough attention it should sell well. Have a nice stand-up display so people can see it from a good distance away, and hopefully draw them over.

I've seen bookmarks, but not many postcard sized art. For that matter, playing card / trading card size could be cool. Even for your own original characters. Name on the front, and maybe fun facts on the back. ;)

That was something we were thinking about doing. I'll talk it over with my artist and see what she thinks. I'm the writer of the group. ^_^

These are all tremendous helps. Thank you guys.

Do people normally buy Orignal art? I thought it was more favorite characters and such rather then characters that are not well known.

Pardon the Pause

#15 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

Based on other people asking that question: I'd say it's 60/40 - fanart/orig with most of it depending on
A: how good your artwork is (which is of course subjective) and
B: how well you sell yourself - presentation of your table, getting a good rapport with customers that stop, etc

Everything else is the whim of the crowd coming through.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#16 User is offline   Christy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 2434

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

We specialize in orginal art and sell pretty good all things considered. There are people who will only buy fanart but then there are also people (myself included) that specifically comb the AA for orgional stuff.

Really, it is all about quality. And it's about making sure that the price and presentation matches the quality and are presented at a price somebody would pay. People are willing to pay more for really great art so you can go with better printing and a higher price. But if your artist is still developing and evolving, you may want to do inexpensive "ashcans" just to get a feel for the crowd.

#17 User is offline   jhim43 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 252

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

I will likely buy anything additional, but only if it is original work, and it appears to be something I think I will like.

Fan art, I can see on DeviantArt, and I can buy in the dealer's hall merchandise with already-known characters.

#18 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

View PostSongstressLenne, on Apr 21 2010, 05:47 PM, said:

View PostLina, on Apr 22 2010, 04:17 AM, said:

Wallets and change purses would be awesome! I could use a Sgt. Frog one! =D

Tote bags would be cool too, but might be expensive to customize. Or even wristbands.

If I come up with more ideas, I will post them here. =)

Yes, yes, YES! Yay for accessories!
I love phone swings too ^_______^

#19 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

View Posttatterpillar, on Apr 22 2010, 08:41 PM, said:

Yes, yes, YES! Yay for accessories!
I love phone swings too ^_______^

Accessories are an unhealthy addiction for me. lolololol

Phone charms would be awesome!!! =D

If you have anything that is Sgt. Frog, I will buy it from you. I LOVE SGT. FROG!!! I will also buy original artwork if it appeals to me.

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#20 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

View PostSuigetsu, on Apr 23 2010, 01:22 PM, said:

Would this work for this year though?

The necklace/pouch is probably the best idea since many cosplays have such items already worked into them. But this also leads me to think of a new merchandising opportunity... $_$

I found this (Suigetsu's) idea in the "Carrying Important Objects" thread. Awesome, yes?

#21 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

View Posttatterpillar, on Apr 23 2010, 12:28 PM, said:

I found this (Suigetsu's) idea in the "Carrying Important Objects" thread. Awesome, yes?

Lol I posted that before hers ^.^ but we both had the same idea. I'd definitely want one...but they are pretty easy to make.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#22 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

Oops, sorry Ska. You both had an awesome idea :)

#23 User is offline   AgentHazel 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 47545

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on Apr 21 2010, 04:54 PM, said:

Now THATS a great idea! I'd love one too! (technically I dont even have a case for my glasses ^.^')

I've totally done this for my own glasses case and it's actually kind of fun!
I think it would definitely sell also.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users