Anime Central Forums: Wie Like Anime...our Friends Like Anime...but...what Are You Parents Into? - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wie Like Anime...our Friends Like Anime...but...what Are You Parents Into?

Poll: Parents + anime = ??? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Do your parents like anime? (i.e. watch it with you/watch them separately then maybe discuss it with you/be a fan with you)

1. Yes (14 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

2. No (36 votes [72.00%])

Percentage of vote: 72.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   technoBC 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 24388

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

Oh, new development!
My mom likes anime xD
We have On Demand and I decided to look through the anime for something to watch.
I eventually decided on watching Monster and it was great :thumbup:
It's a pretty good anime, if you ask me, creepy too.
Anyway, my mom thoroughly loved it.
She's disappointed that we have to wait for the next episodes; we watched the first five.

View Postdorkatlarge, on Apr 11 2010, 03:47 PM, said:

I got my father interested in a manga titled Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President. It was translated and released about 9-10 years ago and has been out of print ever since... but it's a genuinely good political thriller. Nearly every important character is an adult, which is always a plus.

(If you're looking for a slightly easier-to-find series with characters who aren't teenagers, then you might want to try Naoki Urasawa's Monster. The manga is now 100% translated, and the TV series is slowly being released. Dunno if the English dub is any good, but original Japanese dialogue and subtitles are included.)

My mother adored Cardcaptor Sakura. It's a cute show with only a little plot, so she didn't mind that the TV series DVD release was subtitled only. (Dark Horse will be reissuing the original manga soon, probably with a new and more consistent translation.)

Haha, I totally just mentioned Monster.
I haven't read the manga or seen the subbed anime.
In the dubbed, a few of the characters have voices that are too young for them, I think.

This post has been edited by technoBC: 26 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

~Go Go Procrasti-Rangers!~

#32 User is offline   i~liek~mudkipz 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 19248

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

My parents aren't exactly fans, but they accept that I like it and actually support my involvement in events and the fanbase (my school's anime club, ACen). But my dad has seen a couple episodes of FMA Brotherhood with me and liked them.
Cosplays for ACen '11:
-Yami Bakura/Florence (Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged) (0% complete)
-Scar (Fullmetal Alchemist) (0% complete)

#33 User is offline   DaphHime 

• Registration
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 303

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

My parents love, or at least appreciate, anime. My dad's favorite is Cowboy Bebop, he even has two tee shirts from the series that he wears on occasion (one I got him for Christmas and another he just picked out himself.) He doesn't really have much time to watch it however. He's always had pretty eccentric tastes from the start though and I blame my weird sense of humor squarely on him.

My mom loves it. Then again her favorite video game of all time is Final Fantasy 7 if that tells you anything. She's also the reason I'm into video games, she got a ton of NES games when I was real young. For awhile I got her hooked on Naruto for awhile and she found Death Note interesting. She's addicted to other things at the moment, namely casual games, NCIS and romance novels. XP

My younger sister, however, total black sheep. Not really interested in...really anything much at all. She strikes me as a "I think it's dorky as hell but I tolerate it since you like it." type. She did express interest in going to an anime con and dressing up as "Mini Moon" (We watched the dub. >_>) and I never let her forget that.

I do kind of count my self lucky that my parent's are so accepting of my strange hobbies. Though the only thing that's an issue is money and the cost of going to a con. That will probably be laid to rest once I do find a job however. Hasn't been easy lately. :(
Acen Registration Staff 2010-???
Poss. cosplays: Marie (Soul Eater), Ukraine (Hetalia), Anri (DRRR!!), usual Gintama stuff.

Currently watching Soul Eater, Hetaila, Gintama, Durarara!!
Currently playing World of Warcraft (Sarhime/Syirens/Daphime (all Horde) @ Ravencrest if you want to look me up. :) )

Twitter//Facebook//Livejournal (friends only, but feel free to add!)

#34 User is offline   +Awkwardness+ 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 34337

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

My parents are so so with anime. My mom's more into it than my dad is; I somehow got her into Inuyasha, Naruto, and a little bit of Blood+ (just after they took it off the air...) While my dad just watches Naruto due to the fight scenes. I can't get my mom to sit through any of Miyazaki's films XD She saw Spirited Away with us the day it came out and it thoroughly confused her :P
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true.
Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life.
Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for.
Unless it's death by meteor.

Acen'09: Axel
Acen'10: Yazoo
Acen'11: Street Riku/Noctis

#35 User is offline   grandmaster-L 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18142

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

8/10ths of my family think anime is the "devil". You know what my sister used to justify her disdain toward anime? She related the pokemon Suicune to the act of "Suicide". My mother? She coined the idea that the back of a Yu-gi-oh duel monsters card is a portal to hell, and that the card Monster Reborn is a latent plan to "Reborn Satan and his legions so they can overthrow heaven". My other sister? She bellieves that any and all Japanese songs anime or otherwise(even songs as gentle and subtle as Regret) translate to "kill your mother and devour her flesh". And don't even get me started on the way they see Anime Conventions!!! God forbid a bunch of devil worshippers dressed like Sonic the Hedgehog and Link all get together in one place and squeal like fangirls for 3 days over how much more awesome Satan is than FFX's Jecht!!! :lol:

An upside to this madness is that anime influenced me to be the artist I am now, and my enthusiasm for just such artwork is what helped get accepted to 3 art colleges. So there's no longer a reason for them to complain. :thumbup:

This post has been edited by grandmaster-L: 28 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

#36 User is offline   faceyMcfaceless 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 27741

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

nope
I like anime.

#37 User is offline   technoBC 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 24388

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

View Postgrandmaster-L, on Apr 28 2010, 06:23 PM, said:

8/10ths of my family think anime is the "devil". You know what my sister used to justify her disdain toward anime? She related the pokemon Suicune to the act of "Suicide". My mother? She coined the idea that the back of a Yu-gi-oh duel monsters card is a portal to hell, and that the card Monster Reborn is a latent plan to "Reborn Satan and his legions so they can overthrow heaven". My other sister? She bellieves that any and all Japanese songs anime or otherwise(even songs as gentle and subtle as Regret) translate to "kill your mother and devour her flesh". And don't even get me started on the way they see Anime Conventions!!! God forbid a bunch of devil worshippers dressed like Sonic the Hedgehog and Link all get together in one place and squeal like fangirls for 3 days over how much more awesome Satan is than FFX's Jecht!!! :lol:

An upside to this madness is that anime influenced me to be the artist I am now, and my enthusiasm for just such artwork is what helped get accepted to 3 art colleges. So there's no longer a reason for them to complain. :thumbup:

:|

Really?

REALLY????

At least you didn't get brainwashed into thinking that sort of thing -.-;

~Go Go Procrasti-Rangers!~

#38 User is offline   grandmaster-L 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18142

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:59 AM

View PosttechnoBC, on May 3 2010, 08:46 AM, said:

:|

Really?

REALLY????

At least you didn't get brainwashed into thinking that sort of thing -.-;

Really. I wish I could've been joking but that's pretty much a full-book summary on the lunatics in my family

#39 User is offline   ImNewHere 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18485

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:10 AM

My mom has never watched it, but she does want to go to a con with me. I'm taking her to Anime Vegas.
For ACen 2012 pics go to http://www.scottyspot.com/acen2012.htm. If you want a full size pic PM me with an email address and tell me which one you would like.

I'm the Emperor of the Left Half of the Universe. I also have cool non-con pics here ---> http://voice0freason...t.com/gallery/?

I need a girlfriend.... No, really.

#40 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

View PostImNewHere, on May 4 2010, 08:10 AM, said:

My mom has never watched it, but she does want to go to a con with me. I'm taking her to Anime Vegas.

Haha, my dad said that too! He said he wants to go to ACEN, but I'm like "uhhhh...not for my first time xD" Plus he'd probably stop me from buying a ton of stuff in the dealer hall xD
Tell us how it goes with your mom going to the con! My mom says "meh" to cons lol.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#41 User is offline   Shintarou Inuzuka 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 27945

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

My parents don't really know much about it (which may be a good thing, considering the types of anime I like and the characters I tend to cosplay), but at the same time, they don't hate it, either -- it's basically not on their radar, really. At least they're not opposed to me watching it or going to conventions or anything like that, and that's what counts. They do know a bit about a couple of series (GTO, for example), but not much more about it than that. They do, however, tend to make good buying decisions when buying anime for Christmas/my birthday.

This post has been edited by Shintarou Inuzuka: 04 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

The Official Cosplay of BARON SHINTAROU INUZUKA OF SEALAND! (STILL PATENT PENDING)
2014: Yosuke Hanamura (Persona 4), Japan (New CD version) (Hetalia), Bossun (Sket Dance), EGL, Haruka Nanase (Free!)

Member of the Bishie Brigade! [Insert slogan here.] Also the game.
WARNING: This user has the Inuyasha Falling Down Problem. Feel free not to yell a certain dog command at him if you see him.
WARNING: Twitch may be controlling this attendee's movement.

#42 User is offline   Anjokre 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 55645

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

Both of my parents don't mind it at worst, my mom was the type to watch a lot of cartoons as a kid and much prefers me watching something that makes sense rather than her warped sense of "ruined forever!" when it comes to Power Rangers or TMNT or something. While she probably won't get into shows, she did watch and like Miyazaki films and is a Ranma 1/2 junkie like my dad (who bought all of the seasons for DVD plus OVAS) XD

#43 User is offline   StarRockerX 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 17705

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

My dad enjoys anime! Although not as much as me.

He especially loves seeing everyone in their cosplays when he drives me to the cons! :D
A Different Kind of Rockstar
I am a youtuber, anime junkie, pokemon enthusiast, and a normaler :)
Twitter / / Youtube / / Instagram

#44 User is offline   Emmy 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 30479

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

My parents really aren't that much into anime..

However my mom does have an obsession with playing Pokemon Puzzle League.

#45 User is offline   Anjokre 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 55645

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

View PostEmmy, on May 6 2010, 01:16 PM, said:

My parents really aren't that much into anime..

However my mom does have an obsession with playing Pokemon Puzzle League.

So much this with my parents. That game is the sole reason why I haven't been able to get rid of my N64 yet, and no matter how many times I beat them, they keep coming back for more :rolleyes:

#46 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:25 PM

View PostAnjokre, on May 7 2010, 09:25 AM, said:

So much this with my parents. That game is the sole reason why I haven't been able to get rid of my N64 yet, and no matter how many times I beat them, they keep coming back for more :rolleyes:

Haha, yes I get that as well. My dad STILL tries to beat me at Soul Calibur 2 and 4...he never can win. He acutually "banned" me of playing with certain characters with him xD!!!!
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#47 User is offline   dark_angles69 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 8362

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:30 AM

My Mom and Grandma liked the Miyazaki films I showed them but are otherwise indifferent. I like anime and they don't really care much.

#48 User is offline   Kurama's moon raven 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 49159

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

My parents aren't really into anime, which is okay with me because then I can have my own thing that I enjoy and not them too.

I think of course my dad would be more into it since he loves cartoons and etc. Before I knew it was actually anime I used to watch it on toonami with my brother at his house. He would come in and chill with us and watch DBZ, Inuyasha, stuff that was on adult swim etc. My brother was also never a big anime fan only to a few certain good shows like DBZ.

My family laughs at me whenever I mention cosplaying. I quote my mom and my brother "Oh so that is where all your money is going to..." These past couple months every other week I had something related to cosplaying come into the mail. :D The last few items were for a friend and of course they didn't believe me on that factor, or they did oh well.
Acen 11
Ninetails Pokemon Ginjka
Kurama Yu Yu Hakusho
Videl Dragon Ball Z
Previous cosplays:
Raven-Youmacon, Acen, Ohayocon
Princess serenity-Youmacon 08
Princess Jasmine-Youmacon 09

#49 User is offline   Miyu-chan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 23002

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

My mom isn't exactly the biggest anime fan in the world, but she seems to enjoy taking me to Acen every year and sometimes she'll watch the anime with me or comment/whatever. XD

My dad, on the other hand, seems to enjoy making fun of me. Not so much in a mean way, but in the father-sense. He'll call me a freak, make fun of my favourite characters and mock any kinds of screams or quotes he hears. XD;
Cosplay plans for ACen 2014:

????????

#50 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:46 PM

My dad likes anime and he has gone to a few conventions with me, usually just for the day one day. He watches/likes most of the anime series they show on tv. My mom always says she doesn't like "cartoons" (ie anything animated) but she does like Miyazaki films.

#51 User is offline   MeltedGeneral 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19281

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

My parents never watched anime although my mom accepts my hobby (although she did yell at me for buying a Code Geass model kit from Japan >.>). My dad on the other hand has no clue why I like watching this stuff and asked why I buy manga. My mom did enjoy watching Miyazaki films which is awesome.
ACen 2012/2013:
TF2 Medic
Madoka Magica: Male Madoka
ACen 2014:
Madoka Magica: Male Madoka
Danganronpa: Chihiro Fujisaki
Touhou Project: Aya Shameimaru (Male)

#52 User is offline   Sid_Highwind 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29806

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

Wish you kind of grouped video games into this :S

Mom doesn't get into anime/video games. Closest she ever got to the "nerd" culture was playing Dungeons and Dragons when she was younger, though she mostly just liked hearing everyone else talk about what was going on. Dad is a little better. He actually watched most of Outlaw Star with me, though it might of been just because I stole the living room DVD player to watch it :P. He seemed like he was getting into it though. One of the most priceless moments though when watching it was the scene when Gene runs into Aisha in the lava bath...I forgot about that part and we kind of just looked at each other for a moment, and I just went "At least mom wasn't in here." and we both started laughing.

On the video game front, my Dad was the one who got me into them. He'd help me play some classic Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda (and I blame him to this day for my Zelda obsession...I beat LoZ all by myself when I was 4 :P). But the one thing nerd wise he can hold over my head was the fact he actually filled the Pokemon Gold Pokedex...No I'm not joking. I've never filled any Pokedex, even just Red or Blue, and he filled Gold (minus Mew and Celebi obviously :P but still!). Then again, he actually bought Pokemon Yellow for himself when it came out...so yeah :P

Mom did beat Zelda: A Link to the Past before I did though...only because she beat me to the SNES that night XD
ACEN 2012 Cosplays:
Friday/Majority of Saturday: Ryotaro Dojima-Persona 4
Saturday Morning/Early Afternoon: Cid Highwind-Final Fantasy 7

#53 User is offline   Edgar Roni Figaro 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 57935

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:43 PM

My mom likes anything to do with the supernatural

#54 User is offline   MOMO2 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 49830

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

My parents hate anime and think it is a cartoon. My Grandmother was at the Gem show that weekend and was loving all of us in our cosplay and would have joined in. Everyone else hates it in my family I feel like a black sheep.

My friends also got out of it and tell me I should think of other things to do, yet they spwnd a fortune on video games. I don't know what to do anymore :(

I still need my anime. It helps with lifes bad times. It is that or the alternitive.
The only thing to fear is yourself.

#55 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29662

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

My own father hated anime in general. Well, not HATE, but he openly mocked me for watching Dragonball Z since the very first day I started watching it. (I can actually remember a conversation with someone explaining the plot as "an alien raises a kid to fight before these two really strong guys reach Earth.) However, when in the UK, they started airing Gundam Wing and putting Kashmir by Led Zepplin on for the promo, he loved it. I actually remember him asking me to call him over when it was on.

Anything else, though, he didn't like. But my dad loved him some Gundam.

#56 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:14 AM

Any mention of it to my mother.. and I get the response "that japanese s***? well if you like it, whatever" in those exact words, every time.
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#57 User is offline   DCRumia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 57486

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

My mom doesn't really care that much. She doesn't go out looking for it, but she tolerates it. As long as I'm monitering what the ratings are so that my siblings don't repeat anything bad that gets dubbed. She helps me out with my costumes, and supports it because it actually motivate me to do something. She trusts me not to do anything stupid with it.

My dad likes to watch it, or atleast finds it interesting. I wouldn't call him a fan, though. He understands why I like some stuff, since he's a Lord of the Rings fan, himself. I've caught him trying to look at my library manga sometimes.

My siblings... hm... My little brother likes it, but isn't quite a fanboy yet. He likes Detective Conan, and that's about it. Can't really get him into anything else... yet. Little sis tolerates it, and likes to watch it with me at times. She still thinks I'm weird though. I don't mind, though.

Littlest sibling is only 3... but absolutely loves the "Cirno's Perfect Math Class" video. So much, he actually kicks me off my computer to watch it if he catches me watching it.

Grandparents don't really understand. I'd rather leave it that way.
~ACen 2014~
  • Kosuzu Motoori (Touhou Project)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users