Anime Central Forums: Wie Like Anime...our Friends Like Anime...but...what Are You Parents Into? - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wie Like Anime...our Friends Like Anime...but...what Are You Parents Into?

Poll: Parents + anime = ??? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Do your parents like anime? (i.e. watch it with you/watch them separately then maybe discuss it with you/be a fan with you)

1. Yes (14 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

2. No (36 votes [72.00%])

Percentage of vote: 72.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Post icon  Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

Parents and anime! YES! or...No. Anyone's parents like/dislike anime? If so which ones? What do they think of you being an anime fan? ^_^

My parents are 50/50. Mom says and I quote: "That's just not my cup of tea" xD and LOVES to mimic the characters when they swear. It's actually REALLY funny. She roles her eyes at me being a fan and getting over ACEN like a year in advance.... On the other hand, my dad really thinks anime is cool. He just thinks it's like the new "Bugs Bunny" and these are the "cartoons people your age watch these days." He LOVES, and I repeat LOVES Full Metal Alchemist. He's a huge fan of it, and even asked me to put Ready Steady Go on a CD for him to play in his car. It's pretty cool! :clap: He loves Winry and thinks Ed is a BA. xD He also likes Ghost in the Shell and Beck a little too--he always makes fun of the large boobs anime has to offer. xD

Anyone else share this with me? ^___^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#2 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

This seems to be a common topic. All's I can say, if you have parents that like anime, you're very lucky.

It's obviously a big issue because a lot of anime is, err well, extreme. A lot of parents see it as loser adults watching cartoons and refuse to accept it. I can understand where they're coming from since a lot of kids tend to get very absorbed into anime and video games. It's sometimes to the point where the only time they leave their bedrooms is when they're forced to eat, use the bathroom and/or go to school.

My parents? Don't really understand it or accept it. That's really about all I have.
~~

#3 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

With my parents they are like, okay cool. They are not into it, but are happy I'm into something that is relatively healthy (for the most part lol) and not into drugs or any other bad things.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#4 User is offline   Ita-chan 

• IRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 18016

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

I got my mom to watch the myazaki films and fruits basket (just the first few episodes) she think they're cute but very strange. "oh.. that animation stuff-rolls eyes-"My dad is supportive, but could care less what it really is: "you going to need help with a costume next year?" I got my little brother and sister addicted to ponyo. cute as heck.

#5 User is offline   *McManray* 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 26939

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

Neither of my parents watch anime, but they're very supportive of my fandom and involvement within fan communities.
ACen 2014 // Dr. Krieger's Virtual Girlfriend
ACen 2011 // Utena Tenjou // Elsea de Lute Irma // Yuki Talho
ACen 2010 // Cécile Croomy // Ritsuko Akagi // Melfina
ACen 2009 // Officer Jenny
ACen 2008 // Speed Racer // Anju Maaka

#6 User is offline   MisakiMise 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 32365

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

My dad is kind of into it. He's very intrested. If I want to talk about an anime, he'll listen.
I think he used to watch what was on Adult Swim.

My mom doesn't mind. She just thinks I'm weird sometimes, but that's okay.

Not all of my friends are into it, but most are. I'm trying to get some of my friends to like it more.
I made my one friend read Hellsing.
ACen 2014 ideas
?????

deviantART|Flickr

#7 User is offline   sweetbeanpaste 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 33071

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

My parents think anime fans are freaks. (sorry, guys)
Currently Watching: Supernatural | Currently Constructing: n/a | Currently Playing: n/a | Next Con: DragonCon 2012?
---

~2012: Friday Cosplay- Vriska Serket(Make Her Pay)/Homestuck [100%] | Saturday Cosplay- Princess Zelda/Wind Waker [100%] | Sunday Cosplay- GLaDOS/Portal 2 [100%]
~2011: Saturday Cosplay- Suigintou/Rozen Maiden [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- Kallen Kozuki/Code Geass (Black Knights) [100%] [x]
~2010: Saturday Cosplay- Princess Rosalina/Super Mario Galaxy [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- San/Princess Mononoke [95%] [x]
~2009: Saturday Cosplay- Kouno Tohru/Princess Princess [100%] [x] | Sunday Outfit- Neko [100%]
Other Cosplays Include: Rose Lalonde/Homestuck, Sakura Haruno/Naruto, Random Quidditch Player/Harry Potter, Trace/Onward Bound, Marceline/Adventure Time, Dead Shuffle Jade Harley/Homestuck, Dog Tier Jade Harley/Homestuck, and Dress of Eclectica Jade Harley/Homestuck.
I do have a Facebook! I do commission! Shoot me a message!

#8 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:20 PM

View Postsweetbeanpaste, on Apr 9 2010, 11:15 PM, said:

My parents think anime fans are freaks. (sorry, guys)

Same here. ; 3;
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#9 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

"stop watching those kiddie cartoons"
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#10 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:31 AM

I would consider my dad an anime fan. He's not into shows really, but he likes movies. Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Blood the Last Vampire. He adores the gory stuff and rolls his eyes when I try to get him to watch like Spirited Away though he will sit through it. My mom on the other hand is one of those people who thinks it's a waste of money and I should be reading a book or something. Despite this, she loves Wolf's Rain. It's the one anime I got her to want to watch and when she missed an episode, she would ask me about it. She likes the Miyazaki movies too, but she doesn't act like they're anime. Probably because they aren't all ACTIONACTIONFIGHTSCENEACTION like the rest of the stuff I watch.
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#11 User is offline   Bunnychan22 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 52916

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:04 AM

My mom is indifferent. She likes some stuff, but doesn't like the nudity/gore in others. She prefers Jackie Chan or DBSK XP
My dad is only into Western Movies XP

#12 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

Mom doesn't like it, though she loves Disney movies and, weirdly enough, Kill Bill-style action flicks.

Dad, on the other hand...frickin' loves anime. Admittedly, his first question is "Does it have any skin?" He's all about the bewbs, but then again, my dad is pretty much Happosai, though he looks like Genma Saotome.

Dad watches pretty much anything, though there's only a few anime he actually enjoys--Area 88, Ranma, Full Metal Panic. He will sit down and watch something new, though...he didn't like Evangelion the first time, but Eva 1.01 we sat all the way through. Since Pops is ex-military, he enjoys military-style anime.

He's even considered going to ACen, though he'd probably only go one day. I keep trying to talk him into cosplaying, since he'd make a great Genma...

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"He's got the build"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#13 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

I'll go ahead and say no, but give a few shining examples to the contrary.

My mother knows I love Tenchi Muyo. I used to plant my butt in front of the TV to watch it after school everyday. A few years ago, I even showed her the 8th episode of the OVA because I thought she'd get a kick out of all the mischief Taro caused for the gang and she got a few giggles out of it, because we had another little one on the way that year. But she remembers those days and has no problem with it. As long as you're being supportive, ma (:

Dad however, is disinterested in the stuff, but this would delve into personal issues I believe he has not only with me, but anything foreign as well. One night I brought to his house the first two OVA's and the first six mangas, telling them they'd love them, take your time reading them. We watched the first episode (me, my dad, and his girlfriend. My parents are 7 years divorced) and while I got a few smiles from dad, Especially with Ryoko's breast shot towards the end, his girlfriend seemed interested, saying "Is that girl evil? Who's that little rabbit thing? etc." However, a few days later my dad called and said my stuff was now at my Grandmother's house. ):

I felt sad because they didn't want to share in something that made me genuinely happy, despite the fact at least his GF seemed interested. But there's my parent/anime story.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#14 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

My parents aren't into anime. They know I am, and they accept it because they're very cool about letting me do what I wanna do.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#15 User is offline   gantz-lord 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 8056

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

my mom never watches anime on her own but we've watched a few together she loved Grave of Fireflies and liked Fullmetal Panic!, Fullmetal Panic!: Fumoffu, and Mushi-shi
Spoiler

~I wasn't even thinkin about the BEAR BAG!!!!!~
方法については朝食の強姦の背の高いグラス <_< say what?!?!
atm i am most likely creepin around on random profiles
| ̄ ̄|
_ |☆☆☆| _
( _⊃`)

#16 User is offline   proxy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19396

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

Well my dad use to watch Speed Racer when he was a kid, and I think he said something about watching Astro Boy too. Hmm, as of right now he doesn't like anime. Though even though he really didn't care for it, when I was younger he would sit and watch DB, DBZ, and Sailor Moon. My mom she doesn't like nothing cartoony. She didn't watch the whole Mickey Mouse thing, the Looney Toons, or any type of thing that was like that. Though like my dad when my sisters and me were younger she would watch toons with us even though she didn't like it.

#17 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:05 PM

i love anime ^__^

my mom tells me i gotta grow up
so i tell her shes going to a home when shes old
so its alright i will always love anime

watched Toonami every time i got home from school

^___^ been dealing with it since i "started visiting her in prison"

and so she knows im not going to quit; i talk her into sewing me stuff because im mean......

This post has been edited by -JUNK-: 10 April 2010 - 10:06 PM

ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#18 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

Sadly no, but I wish my Mom at least did, we'd have so much more in common then. I am always impressed & happy for for friends that do, I even helped get a coworker in ti Hellsing for her kid's sake. What I don't get it how my Mom can watch all those after school specials, soap operas & not be into to shojo at least.
Currently writing a book.

#19 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

My parents are not anime fans. My mom only likes watching the Miyazaki movies as far as anime goes and my stepdad has only ever shown interest in Cowboy Bebop and Lupin the 3rd.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#20 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

http://www.asahi.com...1004090341.html
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#21 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

I got my father interested in a manga titled Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President. It was translated and released about 9-10 years ago and has been out of print ever since... but it's a genuinely good political thriller. Nearly every important character is an adult, which is always a plus.

(If you're looking for a slightly easier-to-find series with characters who aren't teenagers, then you might want to try Naoki Urasawa's Monster. The manga is now 100% translated, and the TV series is slowly being released. Dunno if the English dub is any good, but original Japanese dialogue and subtitles are included.)

My mother adored Cardcaptor Sakura. It's a cute show with only a little plot, so she didn't mind that the TV series DVD release was subtitled only. (Dark Horse will be reissuing the original manga soon, probably with a new and more consistent translation.)

#22 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

View PostIta-chan, on Apr 9 2010, 07:26 PM, said:

I got my mom to watch the myazaki films and fruits basket (just the first few episodes) she think they're cute but very strange. "oh.. that animation stuff-rolls eyes-"My dad is supportive, but could care less what it really is: "you going to need help with a costume next year?" I got my little brother and sister addicted to ponyo. cute as heck.

yeah I did that to my little cousin, I got her OBSESSED with Poke'mon and Naruto...her parents HATE ME for it. xD They are the type of parents that are like "no games, no anime, just girly stuff" yeah, sure. I mean the kid IS in Karate, at least get her to watch SOME kind of Japanese show xD I showed my parents my cosplay yesterday, my dad was critiquing it and telling me what to add and my mom was like "cool." I just got my dad into Hell Girl...it's so fun to watch him be Ai be all like "It's time to die." He just sits there--and then during the ending he discusses it with me. It's funny xD
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#23 User is offline   technoBC 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 24388

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:15 AM

There is no "sort of" type button. I am disappointed :C

I've been watching anime for nearly 12-13 years, but out of all that I can't really remember if my parents ever watched it or not.
My mom sort of has issues with it, the most my mom likes is Crayon Shin-chan xD

My dad, on the other hand, I have absolutely no idea xDD He doesn't mind my addiction and feeds it wholeheartedly (my mom 3/4heartedly).
My dad has allowed me to spend thousands of dollars on anything that suits me, which I am so grateful for.
I have spent over $5000 on manga and he still buys me more because it makes me happy; same for games and anime and merchandise (not amount).

My parents figure that there could be worse things I could be doing.
They like that I've invested my time into something I love and I plan on including this in my life.
I take Japanese, I draw in the style, it caused me to start writing and to be okay with who I am.
Anime and manga allowed me to open up and become more of a people person and it's just helped me overall.
It made me more creative and open to people and ideas, it's a pretty good influence ;3

This post has been edited by technoBC: 14 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

~Go Go Procrasti-Rangers!~

#24 User is offline   Floobersman 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 45609

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:19 AM

My parents really don't even notice I watch anime. But they really don't mind it... Well they think cosplaying is really stupid. But I like it so thats all that matters

This post has been edited by Floobersman: 13 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

My Anime/Manga List
http://myanimelist.n...ist/Floobersman
If you like Rocket Japanese the online Japanese course then join my Facebook group: http://www.facebook....90673989?v=wall

#25 User is offline   kitty wolf 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 29897

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

Other than Astor Boy and Speed Racer, my Parents didnt really care about anime. They did use to watch Pokmon and Yu-Gi-Oh with me when I was younger but, not anymore.
ACen 08-Toboe/Wolf's Rain
ACen 11- Yoruichi/Bleach, Sango/Inuyasha
ACen 13 – Yoruichi/Bleach,Rocket Grunt
ACen 14 - Tracksuit Ryuko/Kill la kill

#26 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:14 AM

My parents are into Nascar and guns. That's about it.

Will someone on the forums adopt me, pweeeeeze? :3
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#27 User is offline   HikariS 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 6839

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

My parents don't really care for it but they support me liking it even if they call me a weirdo sometimes...

I'm slowly tainting my mom though >.>
She actually knows what yaoi is, is starting to go to Mitsuwa by herself, and even makes comments about characters if she walks in while I'm watching/playing something.

*Playing FFXII over spring break, cutscene with Snow is on and mom walks through*
Mom: So that's the game you went to the midnight release for at college?
Me: Yeah, isn't it preeeeetty?
Mom: Yeah its real detailed...Who is that guy? *points to Snow*
Me: His name is Snow he's one of the main characters
Mom: He's hot *walks out*
<3 So many cosplays so little time <3
ACen '14 Cosplays: AoT: Dead!Marco Bodt ~ Phoenix Wright: Athena Cykes ~ Free!: Rei Ryugazaki(Arabian Ending outfit)~ Amnesia: Heroine
Past Cosplay: Final Fantasy 13-2: Yeul ~ Alice Madness Returns: Alice "Late but Lucky" dress ~ Soul Calibur 4: Shura ~ Kuroshitsuji: Ciel Phantomhive ~ KH-BBS: Aqua ~ Phoenix Wright: Maya Fey ~ Kuroshitsuji: Ranmao ~ Durarara: Izaya Orihara Angel Sanctuary- Michael ~ FF8-Rinoa ~ FF7- Tifa ~ FFX-Summoner Yuna~ FF IX-Garnet ~ Gackt- Malice Mizer: Bel Air ~Soul Calibur III-Taki~ Malizer Mizer Gackt: Le-Ciel live

#28 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

Neither of my parents would probably not have cared for it at all...

and my being the black sheep of the family they would have just figured it was one of my odd interests.

By the time "anime" was available enough to be something other than dubbed (and edited/butchered) Saturday morning cartoons I was already an "adult" and out of the house anyway.
This space intentionally left blank.

#29 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

The closest I get is when my dad steals my sketchbook and happily exclaims "You've got that sort of Japanese cartoon style going on. I like that!"

The thing is...I'm not usually trying to draw anime/manga style people/things. Either he just thinks that because I tend to make eyes abnormally large or old habits from my youth are dying hard.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#30 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

My dad is the one who got me into anime. My first was Vampire Hunter D. Then Ninja Scroll and the rest is history. At one point he rented the Crying Freeman series and we watched it together, but I had to close my eyes and cover my ears during the scenes where the main guy would get it on with the chicks he was supposed to kill. Awkward.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users